NIN covers "Sunday Bloody Sunday" !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
OK, I'm a bit behind the game. It's on the album "The Inevitable Rise and Liberation of NiggyTardust,"by Saul Williams, which Trent Produced. If you go to Saul's site, you can download the album for free, or $5.

I had heard of this guy and his album, but didn't hear about SBS. It's pretty cool, I think.

Most of the album sucks, including the cover, according to several of my friends and myself.

http://www.spinner.com/2007/12/18/hip-hop-poet-saul-williams-covers-u2-anthem/

Spoken-word musician/poet Saul Williams recently took on U2's 1983 epic 'Sunday Bloody Sunday.' Williams paid tribute to the veteran group with his own earthy rendition of the noble arena anthem, with the production help of Nine Inch Nails frontman Trent Reznor.

Being a longtime fan of the Irish quartet, Williams tells Spinner, "This is my favorite U2 song of all time. I first heard it while I was an exchange student to Brazil in my junior year of high school. I wasn't familiar with the massacre in Ireland that the song refers to, but I easily aligned it with my experience as an African-American and recognized it as a revolutionary song."

Keep reading to find how to snag an MP3 of Williams' interpretation of 'Sunday Bloody Sunday' and to find out which U2 album moved Williams the most.

That experience helped shape Williams' musical direction. "The 'Joshua Tree' album opened my eyes to life beyond hip-hop," he told Spinner. "I grew up on a very tightly regimented diet of New York hip-hop, and it took a lot for me to appreciate music that wasn't based on the sort of banging beats my ear was accustomed to."

Well, Trent is involved and Trent is essentially NIN, if that makes any sense. So, it does have a slight association with NIN.

If you go to the link I posted, it's NIN's official myspace and it says it's their song, although it puts up the Ziggy Tardust album cover. I assumed it was a NIN song on his album. Like, "I'm producing this guy, I'm going to help him sell crap loads of records by covering a classic song by the biggest band in the world." Plus, at first listen, it didn't seem too different of a voice than Trent's.

And yes, Trent is NIN. So to say it's a NIN/Saul Williams colaboration isn't far off.

Back
Top Bottom