Nicky Wire's Secret Society

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HeartlandGirl

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
Last night, whilst in the throes of sweet summer boredom, I decided to take a peek at the Manic Street Preachers website and see if there was any new information about Nicky and James's solo albums. And there was. :up:

If you go to www.manics.co.uk and click on the left side of the main banner, you can join Nicky Wire's Secret Society. I guess it just basically puts you on a mailing list for info and goodies re: Nicky's new solo album, but after I registered, I got to download a new song of his, "Daydreamer Eyes," which I quite like.

You can also sign up for info and mailings re: James's new album, The Great Western. His single, "That's No Way to Tell a Lie" is also up at his myspace page.

I know I can count on one hand the people who might be interested in all of this, but still, here it is for ya! Viva Manics!

Stay Beautiful darlin.

On my way to check it out.

The same.

Although Nicky doesn't exactly have the most, um, palatable singing voice in the word. There's a weird, um, quality about it that's fairly alluring though. In a train-wreck kind of way.

I remember rifling through Manics videos on youtube once and there was this hilarious clip of a live song (can't remember which, but it might have been 'Roses in the Hospital') where Nicky tries to chime in on one verse and then realises how awful he sounds and stops.

^there are a lot of singers that I really wouldn't call singers but enjoy anyway:wink:

Nicky's song wasn't too bad....between James and Nicky's songs I think I like Jame's one better.

Yeah, it's pretty obvious why James is the vocalist for the Manics. :wink: But I must agree, yertle, Nicky's voice in its own bizarre way...I don't know, it's hard to describe, but yeah. It makes for some interesting listening, I guess you could say!

Hey LJT, are you LesJoursTristes on last.fm? Mind if I add you as a friend? (I was looking to see if you were in the interference group and guessed that might be you...I swear I'm not stalking you, honest!) ;)

Stay beautiful, everyone.

HeartlandGirl said:
Yeah, it's pretty obvious why James is the vocalist for the Manics. :wink: But I must agree, yertle, Nicky's voice in its own bizarre way...I don't know, it's hard to describe, but yeah. It makes for some interesting listening, I guess you could say!

Hey LJT, are you LesJoursTristes on last.fm? Mind if I add you as a friend? (I was looking to see if you were in the interference group and guessed that might be you...I swear I'm not stalking you, honest!) ;)

Stay beautiful, everyone.

Feel free to add me*bows*

I would take you stalking me as the utmost compliment;)

I'm going to wait until I'm back in the US to download this track, as I doubt my business partner roommate who's sleeping in the next room would appreciate me rocking out to the track right now!

H to the G, it is your duty to remind me to download this if I don't remember! Looking forward to it (and to finally hearing the Bangkok track).

Oh yeah, is the streaming version of James' song better than the crappy radio rip that we all seem to have?

^It is not the full song..only a minute long clip:madspit:

:ohmy: I've been wondering for a while when are the manics recording new stuff! They rock live! :drool: :drool:

And they're quite sexy too!

:rockon: :bow:

Damn, they bleeped the line ' we don't want you're fucking love'!!

LJT said:
I would take you stalking me as the utmost compliment;)

Hehe... :wink:

Mofo, you may want to download it soon anyway--it's limited to the first 1000 people who sign up, so no telling how much longer it will be available.

Yertle, thanks for the video link. Richey is legendary for a lot of things, but his guitar playing is not one of them. Maybe that explains a lot. If Richey can have a guitar, Nicky can have a microphone. Both useless, but good for that rock n roll effect.

Mostly that video made me sad that those of us in the States are probably never gonna get to see Manics live unless we fly across the Atlantic. Maybe I should start a movement. JDB AMERICAN SOLO TOUR IN '06!!!!!!!! :wink:

HeartlandGirl said:

Mofo, you may want to download it soon anyway--it's limited to the first 1000 people who sign up, so no telling how much longer it will be available.

Does it make it so it can only play on one computer though? I don't really want it on my crappy work lap top, that's why I'm hesitant to get it now.

Some thoughts/news/etc:

'Daydreamer Eyes' is a lot nicer than 'I Killed the Zeitgeist' but somehow I keep imaginging James singing it. Nicky's singing is miles better than on 'Wattsville Blues' but the ending (the 'foggy eyes' bit) is still a bit painful to listen to.

If you go to this website (http://klanluke.livejournal.com/) there's a ysi link for all of the available Nicky material. I have no idea what any of it is because ysi is down for me at the moment.

From foreverdelayed: Outspoken Manics bassist and lyricist Nicky Wire staged an intimate gig at the Guardian Hay-on-Wye Festival yesterday. A rather drunk Nicky, along with his Secret Society Band performed Wire’s new solo material, with a few Manic Street Preachers favourites thrown in. The setlist ran:

Withdraw - Retreat
From Despair To Where/Break My Heart Slowly
Dying Breeds
Goodbye Suicide
#Unknown#
Roadrunner
Bobby Untitled
Wattsville Blues/#Unknown#
Sehnsucht
The Shining Path
This Is My Last
Condemned To Rock ‘N’ Roll/I Killed The Zeitgeist

Nicky appeared on stage in a pink suit, accompanied with the usual arm full of bracelets and standard issue eyeliner (as well as a few bottles of White Wine). (pictures at http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk)

And finally...

The video for JDB's 'There's No Way To Tell A Lie'. It's apparently based on Takeshi 'Beat' Kitano's film 'Sonatine' and features Manics photog Mitch Ikeda. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ha9ilAB1cxI

Thanks for all the info, yertle.

I don't know what to say about the JDB video... :| Anyone else? Thoughts?

HeartlandGirl said:
Trev, I can probably just send it to you if you like. Let me know.

If the time limit has ran out when I finally get home (when ever the hell that will be!), I'll let you know and have you send it to me. Looking forward to hearing it after all the impressions, sounds like an interesting track.

I had a chance to watch the JDB music video, I quite liked it! Simple idea, but it still kept me interested the whole time. Also, the quality of the track was better than the radio rip I've heard, so that was nice too. :wink:

On a side note, I just rediscovered this video of 'She Is Suffering' solo and acoustic when looking through the requested videos on YouTube after the JDB video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOpjoksIELk

Something happens midway through that's absolutely hilarious to me. Check it out. :up: :wink:

Last edited:
^:lol: why does the host make me ashamed to be from Belfast:wink:

Haha.

You know, if I was a host on a show like that I'd probably do the exact same thing. If not worse. :wink:

Really I think it was the cheap background effects that got to me, I remember a time when all our tv was like that here....basically all the camera-men were on drugs to get away from the 'troubles':shifty:

Actually there is a local station that has a gig on rotation by a band called The Chalets, which I attended and I can be quite clearly seen as the long haired guy right in front of them going completely nuts dancing.......

That's local tv for ya:p

Got and listened to the Nicky song. I as expecting much worse vocal wise from all the comments, hehe. Not too bad of a song.

Will give it a look when I get home! :up:

Interesting song comparison, yertle. "Judge Yr'self" happens to be one of my favorite Manics songs.

Back
Top Bottom