NICKELBACK Singer Gets A Job At McDonald's, Blames Illegal Music Downloading - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2004, 10:03 AM   #46
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 02:33 PM
I enjoyed your rant, Tyler. Thanks for giving us that perspective. If you had ranted for pages, I probably would have read the whole thing.

Old 06-09-2004, 03:42 AM   #47
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:33 PM
I agree that illegal downloading of music has not ruined the music industry, and most of the people who get press for being against it aren't hurting for money. But I like many much smaller bands, the members of which actually do count on album sales to make a living. For these people, illegal downloading isn't merely an irritation, it's a hardship.

A little story:

I frequent a chat room set up for fans of a band I like, and a few days ago this guy dropped in gloating about how he was able to download the brand new cd of one of the members of the band. Not only was did he download it, but he was actively seeking to spread it ever further. Now before you say "So what?" let me remind you that this cd is released through a tiny label (and no, it is not merely a front for a major label). There is no huge corporation sucking up monster profits from this, just two guys trying to support their families.

I just do not understand how anyone, especially anyone who considers himself (or herself) a fan of these guys, can do something like that. I did ask him why he would do such a thing -- his reply? The cd was too hard to obtain (only available from the label in Australia right now, but should be in some stores in a month or so) and he said it cost too much ($31 AUD + $10 AUD shipping, about $31 USD right now). True it's not a cheap cd, and some might find ordering online and waiting for it to arrive more difficult than running down to the local store (then again I have never found this guy's solo or collaborative work in any store near me...), but are those good enough reasons to steal?
He kept saying he was standing up for his principles, but I was never quite able to ascertain just what those were.... (Plus the "fan" was bragging about how much money his business was bringing in...so $31 USD shouldn't be a problem.)

What really made the conversation strange however, was that midway through another person dropped in...one of the guys who made the album. Now he always comes in under a different nick, and he doesn't tell who he is directly, but if you are there often enough when he is, you get to know. Anyway, what should happen but the evil downloading "fan" asked the singer if he wanted a free copy of his own album! He said "No. I own it." In one way it was a hilarious and surreal situation, but I also found it very sad. I found it sad that an artist who puts out consistantly strong material and honestly cares what his fans think about his music watched a "fan" steal his work and encourage others to do the same the same and not really be able to do a thing about it. And I also found it awful that this "fan" didn't even care. In fact, when the singer asked the "fan" (very politely) not to bootleg intellectual property because thats how these guys make their living, the "fan" called his comments the "same bleeding heart shit" I and several others had been telling him (that night and other nights).

I felt tarnished just being in the same chat room (and the jerk lives in the same state I do. Yuck.). Luckily the singer does know who I am, and also that I would never purposely do anything to hurt him, but I'm still irritated that people do that (download/steal) and can so easily justify it.

I guess I just wonder what the justification for this type of thing is. I mean if you feel that by "sampling" a few songs you will then go out and buy the cds of those artists you like, does that also mean that you would steal a shirt from the local store and if you like it you might go back and buy one later?

Old 06-09-2004, 04:02 AM   #48
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 03:33 PM
Honestly, most indie labels have flourished since the advent of filesharing. Small label artists are getting more and more press and their songs are being heard by countless more people than they ever were 10 years ago. The majority of indie labels I've read about have had sales they never would have dreamed of before filesharing. The article I posted discusses this a decent amount, and even has #'s and stats. I suggest people check it out, it's a fascinating study. Lets get real here, it's a Harvard/USC joint study, I think they usually tend to know their stuff..... (at least they're a little more objective than the record industry....)

As for buying albums to help artists..... Honestly, I buy albums left and right. I currently have 423 CD's, and feel like I do my share to support the music industry. That being said, I dont think that my buying CD's is helping the artists as much as it is helping the record labels (which ticks me off). I think anyone who watched the Napster hearings should know that the majority of artists are lucky if they make $1 for every cd sold, which is why there are huge #'s of artists who completely support filesharing. I know that smaller artists or artists who just signed a contract with big labels often make even less. If you really want to support your favorite band, go to their concerts, buy their t-shirts there, that sort of thing. The record labels are more to blame for artists getting ripped off on CD sales than file sharing. That being said, buying the CD does help the artist in that it shows the label that there's a reason to keep them on their roster and promote them.
Old 06-09-2004, 04:24 AM   #49
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:33 PM
Oh yeah, the tiny label I mentioned had three of the 11 songs on the album available for free downloads -- I think that's quite a decent sample. Do you really need any more to get a feel for the sound of the material? And I really wouldn't mind those three songs on file sharing networks as they have already been released by the label, it's the file sharing of the entire album that irks me so much. A few songs (a true sample) on a file sharing network can be useful publicity, but the whole album? (I still think it should be up to the artists to determine how and where they publicise their work though.) Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free?
Old 06-09-2004, 04:27 AM   #50
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 03:33 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by indra
Oh yeah, the tiny label I mentioned had three of the 11 songs on the album available for free downloads -- I think that's quite a decent sample. Do you really need any more to get a feel for the sound of the material?
I totally agree. That's a great # of songs to check out to decide if you like them or not

I dont know how many countless albums I've bought because I really liked 2 or 3 songs I downloaded (that being said, I know that there are far more people out there who will never buy the albums, even if they like the songs)