Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UKTan

War Child
Hi,

I've literally just "discovered" Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds. I bought Abbatoir Blues/The Lyre of Orpheus a couple of days ago just because I fancied trying some new music. I've heard of the band for years but never heard any of their stuff.

Turns out I absolutely LOVE this album, and have since downloaded Murder Ballads and have put The Boatman's Call & Greatest Hits on my christmas list.

I know they've been around for years & years and I was wondering if anyone could recommend other albums that are "must have's"

Thanks
Tanya

Good calls guys!...
Let Love In is pretty close to being my fav Bad Seeds album, or at least tied for 1st place and No More Shall We Part is very excellent as well, though very different.

I'm quite fond of Henry's Dream and The Good Son. I'm unfortunately unfamiliar with much of his earlier stuff.. it's got a bit of a different sound, but I'm sure it's quite awesome.

I'm currently completely totally bowled over by Nick's performance of Abbatoir Blues (the title track) on Later with Jools Holland that I picked up on soulseek. Wow. If you want it go to my website and then type 'share' after the address bar and look for it there. I'm incredibly displeased that he seems to not be planning on touring in north america with this album.. hopefully that will change.

and congratulations on discovering Mr. Cave! He is one of the most talented, unique, and downright awesome artists around.

Ooh, speaking of them-I was watching that Alternative show on VH1 Classic last night, and I heard a song from them, "Weeping Song". It was an odd song, as was the video...but I kinda liked it (those are some LOW voices...holy crud). So I might need to pay attention to this thread, too, should I decide to hear more from them.

Angela

Ah yes, I love the weeping song! it's from 'The Good Son' which also has 'The Ship Song' which is definitely worth checking out. Very beautiful and heartrending. Though really all of the bad seeds is worth checking out.

Moonlit_Angel said:
Ooh, speaking of them-I was watching that Alternative show on VH1 Classic last night, and I heard a song from them, "Weeping Song". It was an odd song, as was the video...but I kinda liked it (those are some LOW voices...holy crud). So I might need to pay attention to this thread, too, should I decide to hear more from them.

Angela

"Weeping Song" is great.

I was watching the Alternative show last night too. They mentioned Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds will be touring in the U.S. in 2005. :up:

Bono's shades said:

"Weeping Song" is great.

I was watching the Alternative show last night too. They mentioned Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds will be touring in the U.S. in 2005. :up:

I so very very much hope that's true, and that that includes Canada as well. I'd heard elsewhere he wouldn't be coming, but not from much of a good source anyway.

I absolutely love No More Shall We Part and Abbatoir Blues/Lyre of Orpheus. Nocturama was decent, gets slagged off too often. The only other disc I have is the Best Of, I need to get more of the early stuff, though I'm generally more interested in stuff from Murder Ballads on.

"Darker With the Day" is uber-sad. Everyone should hear that.

Bono's shades said:
"Weeping Song" is great.

Yeah, I heard that and was like, "Oh, I hope some Interferencers are watching this right now...". I was thinking that throughout most of the show last night, actually, 'cause they played Hunters & Collectors, too, and other stuff that I know people here talk about constantly (heh, you know you've been to this place often when...). I kept telling my dad, "I know so and so from Interference who loves this group" :).

Also, SkeeK, thanks for the recommendation...I'll have to check that one out sometime :).

That show was also cool 'cause they played the Lightning Seeds' "Pure", and I like that song :D.

Anywho, back to Nick Cave and them...

Angela

Thanks to everyone for the recommendations...ordered "Let Love In" from Amazon, hopefully that will be delivered today :)

If you like the softer side of Nick at all, you absolutely MUST buy The Boatman's Call. One of the most amazing records I've ever heard.

greenlight7-11 said:
If you like the softer side of Nick at all, you absolutely MUST buy The Boatman's Call. One of the most amazing records I've ever heard.

Yes oh yes indeed.. definitely a favourite. so many superb songs!

Triple album with B-Sides & Rarities will be released on the 28th of March.

I will buy that, yes I will... :heart:

That B-Sides compilation has some really nice stuff on it. I love the song about his little boat, whatever it's called. Great b-side for Into My Arms because it's almost the opposite..a nd ooooooh the lyrics.

really good value for the money too since it's 3 cds.

so.
album in 03
double album in 04
triple album in 05

i'm certainly waiting for next year and hoping the pattern continues :wink:

God I'm bad about posting here, ie. I mostly don't.

Anyhow, for me, 'O Children' is the Nick Cave song of the moment - easily the best off his last double album and probably for the last five years or so. Just a monumental tower of song and a reminder that being as old as U2 doesn't mean you have to suck.

Back
Top Bottom