Nick Cave!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sulawesigirl4

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
hey there, sula in switzerland just dropping in for a moment. miss you all and hope everyone is enjoying their autumn.

recently I finally had the opportunity to listen to an artist which is not new by any means, but new to ME. Nick Cave. And may I just say....I love this guy. What a poet! Anyways, I wanted to see if anyone else likes his work and advice on what CDs I should go try to find and copy. :D

hugs,
sula

hi sula. i have little to add. i just wanted to say hi and see how europe is. :wave:

in an attempt to stay on topic - which nick cave songs would people recommend i dl?

hey sula!!!!

Go out and get yourself Nick Cave's "Murder Ballads."

It is a phenomenal CD with a bunch of songs with backing vocals by PJ Harvey.

It came out a while ago and it is a CD all about Murder. It is kind of a weird subject, but he does it in such a creative way it is hard not to love the CD. For example one song tells a story about a serial killer in a small town. it turns out to be him, but he turns out to be a 12 year old girl. Quite a twist.

GO GET IT NOW!!!!!

europe is great. the alps are stunning. the cow bells make a nice background music each day. :)

the song "as i sat sadly by her side" was one I really enjoyed. I think there was an album with a title that had something to do with a boat and one that was something like 'no more shall we part'.

the guy who intro'd me to the music is going to burn a few CDs for me this week. :up:

3 degrees of seperation, I just had a lady tell me about she and her daughters

trip to Switzerland. She obviously LOVED IT!!! All the best sula.

I don't own any Nick Cave CD's but I have some of his film clips on video. I associate him more recently with singing 'Never Tear Us apart" at Michael Hutchence's funeral.
Joe Cocker is on tour in Australia at the moment, my friend is going to see him in Brisbane this weekend, very excited. Apparently Joe sang a very beautiful live version of "Never Tear Us Apart" on a night-time Oz talk show this week. I missed it. I think they do it to honour Michael
I just wanted to say:wave: and happy trails to you
discovering new music:heart: :hug:

-Sula,

I was going to reccomend the newest cd, No More shall We Part.

But, after revewing song list I agree with Martha. the Best Of, would be a great first cd for you.

Martha, I wanted to go to that Wiltern show so bad, but I had surgery that week. I glad you got to go.

Nick Cave is definitely one of my favourites! I agree that "The Best Of..." is the perfect place to start. As for albums, "Let Love In" is my personal favourite, but I'd also recommend "The Good Son", "Murder Ballads", "No More Shall We Part" and "Boatman's Call". "Murder Ballads" is as over-the-top as the title suggests, with the results that are alternately chilling and hilarious (if you like that sort of gallows humour). The last two albums aren't as blood-drenched and sound more sparse and mellow.

A bit of useless information and U2 connection: Anton Corbijn did the cover photograph for "Boatman's Call".

just for the record

I heard the most wonderful news on the radio yesterday....and to make it even better , they followed it with a Nick Cave song:)
So I just wanted to correct what i said up there.
He sang "Into My Arms' at Michael Hutchence funeral.

I feel like resurrecting this ancient thread.

Everyone go out and buy "No More Shall We Part" !!!! So so good.

Yeah, the Murder Ballads are great...but so disturbing. lol. I can hardly listen to them for that reason, although musically they are amazing.

I have had "Into My Arms" stuck in my head for the last few days. lol. And I think "Love Letter" is the most beautiful song I have ever heard.

Re: just for the record

cass said:

He sang "Into My Arms' at Michael Hutchence funeral.

I know his Kylie duet, I've seen a few videos, but Into My Arms is one of the deepest, saddest song I ever heard.

Btw have you seen the video for it? Black and white, partly it's him singing, and mostly it shows various people crying...very moving.

Yay! I love Nick Cave too... a friend of mine got me hooked onto him about a year ago... I love the latest album, but I can't find my copy... I also love The Firstborn is Dead, especially Tupelo... :heart:
Same friend got me a video of him live somewhere... haven't watched it yet!

Alison

Back
Top Bottom