NHL trade deadline approaching

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kobayashi

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
looks like some decent players could be moving over the next couple of weeks
looks like kovalev is up first but nolan, pallfy and a whole lot of defencemen could also be on the move.

::crossing fingers none of them end up in Colorado:: Nothing against the players, I just don't want to see another "blockbuster" trade here!

AvsGirl41 said:
::crossing fingers none of them end up in Colorado:: Nothing against the players, I just don't want to see another "blockbuster" trade here!

sounds as though the avs are the present front runners for kovalev...supposedly vrbata and others heading to pittsburgh

I just don't think it would do us any good! Everyone seems to agree that we need more grittiness than Kovalev can provide.

Lacroix just wants the headlines. Plain and simple. And he seems to think that Roy, Sakic, Forsberg and Blake are immortal, immune to injury and will never ever retire. If Vrbata, Skoula and Tanguay go, *plus* losing Drury in the pre-season, that's it. There goes our core of young up-and-comers. Somehow, I doubt he'll enjoy the headlines he'll get then.

Although, the standing belief here and on the team is that if we *hear* about a trade, it's a no-go. Lacroix likes the big surprise. Who knows? :shrug:

Last edited:
the leafs have publicy said they were in the running for kovalev.

obviously the rangers are in the mix, as are the avalanche.

if sent to colorado, pittsburg is being rumored to receive martin skoula and alex tanguay. not only is that a great trade - ITS A GREAT TRADE! if i were pittsburg id be pumped.

vancouver apparently is in the mix for someone along the lines of chris gratton. understandably they dont want to give up any core players, but letowski, warriner, and ruutu are certainly expendable.

analysts are forecasting one of the most exciting trade deadline's in a very long time. :up:

Flag Pole Pear said:
the leafs have publicy said they were in the running for kovalev.

obviously the rangers are in the mix, as are the avalanche.

if sent to colorado, pittsburg is being rumored to receive martin skoula and alex tanguay. not only is that a great trade - ITS A GREAT TRADE! if i were pittsburg id be pumped.

No kidding...Pittsburgh's not stupid! Pick up two young guys with low salaries and dump the expensive one.

They got Lacroix to buy it last season--Ville Niminen and Rick Berry for Darius Kasparitis. I could care less about Berry, but I still miss Nimo and the team could use his chaotic style about now. They got the better end of the deal. And if this trade goes through, they will again.

I imagine the other GM's find Colorado quite funny. It's so frustrating. I hate this time of the hockey season. :mad:

Elisabeth

too bad the penguins traded kovalev for cash

reminds me of when the Islanders tried to buy Ziggy Palfy, except Bettman nixed it

it's ok for the broadway blue shirts, because it's good for hockey ratings if NY makes the playoffs or something

word is NJ is trying to get Palfy now, offering up prospects like Michael Rupp, Christian Berglund and Mike Danton, with a #1 pick, but the Kings want Scott Gomez

i understand why NJ wants to unload danton. the guy would appear to be a fool.

my question is who would want to take him on and why.

Danton is not the key part of the deal, his trade value is very low, he's a loose cannon but he could be valuable if he ever matures and learns to keep his mouth shut (very strong and physical with a mean streak, and some decent hockey skills, every team wants this kind of guy come playoff time, especially if you might play NJ in the playoffs)

the Devils can win the Cup if they can find 1 guy that can be relied on to score a few clutch goals in the playoffs (a la claude lemieux)

ya la claude has to be one of the best playoff performers in the past decade.

trading jason arnott just wasn't cool in my opinion. the guy has a rocket and can hold his own.

plus joe appears to be on his way out of the league in the next year or so anyway, that trade with the stars never made any sense to me.

it was one of the worst trades in recent history, only thing saving it is Langenbrunner has played very well, but he's not a capable of dominating like Arnott was when he's on

trading Sykora last summer was bad too, Friesian is playing well, but he's not as good as Sykora and now Tverdovsky is damaged goods, who knows when or if he'll recover from post-concussion syndrome

I never understood why Lamoriello wanted to break up a line (Arnot/Sykora/Elias) that carried the Devils within one game of back-to-back Cups

The Canucks should have traded Brian Allen, Atem Chubarov, and Mats Lindgren for Kovalev. That would have spiced them up, and given them that edge for the Cup drive. Can you imagine Kovalev, Naslund, Bertuzzi, Jovanovski and Morrison all on one power play unit? That would be killer.

Michael Griffiths said:
The Canucks should have traded Brian Allen, Atem Chubarov, and Mats Lindgren for Kovalev.

but do those 4 meet the penguins salary requirements for the incoming players.
that's the reason the pens didnt have any interest in the leafs bid: though the players were better, their salaries were too much.
plus the canucks would have had to put up the 4 million.

on the subject of bad trades...i think naslund to vancouver from pittsburgh was one of the worst. i cant remember who went the other way but the guy was in a car accident shortly after unfortunately, and his career was finished.

russ courtnall, who blossomed, to the habs and jon kordic, who died of an overdose shortly after, to the leafs was also pretty bad.

Michael Griffiths said:

How about Gretzky for Martin Gelinas and Jimmy Carson? (Oh, and $18 mill of course.)

true true. i remember being very sad that day.
was that the first ever 'salary dump'?

That wasn't so much a salery dump as it was a flat out sale. The NHL changed their rules after that "trade". Now, no owner can sell a player for straight cash anymore - though I'm sure there are many ways of disguising it.

Back
Top Bottom