NHL Playoffs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
PopAngel, you suck. This is always the best time of the year to watch hockey and CBC is so much better than anything else. Why do I have to live in NYC now? Hopefully, I'll be able to watch a bit when I'm home in three weeks.

As for the bandwagon fans in Hockeytown, I think not. I went to two victory parades in the city. 1 mil. plus people at each one. Much better than the 200,000 than showed up to the parking lot of Continental Arena for the Devils' victory parade. Although the rest of our sports teams suck. [but I swear this IS the rebuilding year for the Tigers. Before this year, we just sucked. now we suck with purpose!]

And while some of you say we bought the cup, the Rangers prove that money isn't everything.

On that note, I will be positive! Go Wings!

I grew up in Jersey, and I have to say, there's no bigger badwagon jumpers than those in the NYC area (as well as long time diehards - but more jumpers!!!). I think Devils fans rather cheer agains the Rangers than for the Devils. Dumb!

sharky said:
PopAngel, you suck. This is always the best time of the year to watch hockey and CBC is so much better than anything else. Why do I have to live in NYC now? Hopefully, I'll be able to watch a bit when I'm home in three weeks.

As for the bandwagon fans in Hockeytown, I think not. I went to two victory parades in the city. 1 mil. plus people at each one. Much better than the 200,000 than showed up to the parking lot of Continental Arena for the Devils' victory parade. Although the rest of our sports teams suck. [but I swear this IS the rebuilding year for the Tigers. Before this year, we just sucked. now we suck with purpose!]

And while some of you say we bought the cup, the Rangers prove that money isn't everything.

On that note, I will be positive! Go Wings!

:hyper: :hyper:

The Wings have the biggest following of any sports team in Detroit. :up: And our payroll is less than the Rangers and look where they are, so the "money buys championships" argument is old.

Can't wait for Thursday! :wave:

sharky said:
I went to two victory parades in the city. 1 mil. plus people at each one.

I was at the one last year! It was amazing! I'm hoping for another one this year. But mostly, I'm just reeally excited for playoff hockey! WOOO!

the cbc sked is very fucked up. They are the only Canadian network that is allowed to show CDN teams so wednesday when ott, tor, and edmonton play at the same time we can only watch one game. Then they have a repeat. Also the Toronto games are shown Canada wide even in Sask and Manitoba where there arent neccesaily more Leafs fans then Oilers fans. I just think if they cant show all the games then another network should have the rights, like sportsnet who do a great job showing regualr season games and have NO playoff games.

i think its kind of weird how all canadians root for all canadian teams. shouldn't you only root for the team in your area, or one you have a sentimental attachment to? like I don't cheer for every american team, I just have 1 team I root for through and through.

zonelistener said:
I don't mind Detroit now that I know Minnesota doesn't have to play them!!!!!

Well, I will be at both Wild Home games - and some silly gathering at the arena Thursday night for the first game.

don't get too confident AVSGirl41................every time I have seen the two teams play, Colorado hasn't faired well.

GO WILD!!!!

*Thinks about changing his avatar

It must be nice, living in dream land. Please. The Avs can handle the Wild.

The Wild are good, but they are not as good as the Avs right now. I'll just toss the names FORSBERG and HEJDUK out there and let you think about it. :evil:

Mirrorball Girl said:

:macdevil:

(Also, AvsGirl - I can't wait for Dallas to lose either. :) )

With all this negative energy, the Stars can't help but lose. :mac:

I'm glad you rooted for Colorado. I really would like to see peace come between our teams and all the hatred go to the Stars. :wink:

As happy as I am for the Avs, I am extremely sad Skoula lost his games played streak.

Darn you Anaheim! I wasn't rooting against you, but you cost him his record! Now you must lose. :evil:

Five reasons why the Red Wings won't repeat

By Mike Heika
Special to ESPN.com

5. Scotty Bowman is not their coach
It's easy to fall back on this one, but the guy did win a few games in his career. And whether or not he needled Fedorov with his constant line changes or irritated Shanahan by refusing to stroke his ego, Bowman found a way to get the most out of his players. At a time when the NHL's best teams in the West are going with playoff rookies on the bench, Bowman would have had a field day. It's' one thing to be coaching in your first year in the playoffs; it's quite another to be coaching in your first year in the playoffs against legendary mind-messer Scotty Bowman. No, the Mike Babcocks and Tony Granatos and Dave Tippetts of the world can be quite happy that the scheming little man with the lucky coin in his pocket will not be trying to get into their kitchen this spring.

4. The Grind Line is circling (and not in the right direction)
It is one of the more intriguing lines in hockey. It might have been the best line for the Red Wings in the playoffs last season. But could The Grind Line (the trio of Kris Draper, Kirk Maltby and Darren McCarty) finally be circling the drain? Draper and McCarty each accounted for three points in their last 18 games, while Maltby had three points in his last 12 games. Now, the Red Wings didn't need them during a long winning stretch, but it sure would have been nice to see a little more than that. And while we're at it, are Luc Robitaille and Igor Larionov slipping too?

3. Steve Yzerman is old
Maybe they can just let him use one of those Rascal Scooters and motor around the ice like an aging polo player. All right, that was mean, but Yzerman has played almost 1,400 regular-season games and is starting to show the mileage. The realignment of his knee was no small operation, and he simply isn't what he once was. If they lean too heavily on him now, it might be more than his body can take. If they try to protect him, it might hurt the delicate balance of their five-man units. The Red Wings have depth, but any team that relies (physically or mentally) on an injury-prone superstar can be in trouble.

2. Curtis Joseph ain't good
The Red Wings needed only to defeat the Chicago Blackhawks Sunday to get first place in the West and eventually get a path paved in gold to the Stanley Cup Finals. And when Fedorov scored short-handed in the third period, Detroit had the break it needed with a 3-2 lead and only eight minutes to play. A great goalie would have made a statement at that time and not allowed another goal, no matter what kind of acrobatics it took. Joseph did not, allowing Chicago to tie the game on a strange Eric Daze spin-around that can only be classified as a soft goal. This follows a strange history of Joseph's to not be able to make the big save at the right time, and critics will say it's why his own NHL coach, Toronto's Pat Quinn, went with Martin Brodeur and not Joseph in the 2002 Olympics.

1. Depth can't beat the hockey gods
It's difficult to say that everything the Red Wings accomplished during a 17-1-0-1 stretch late in the season was frittered away in one game to Chicago Sunday&but it was. Every expert in the NHL was ready to pick the Red Wings to repeat, but that Chicago loss combined with a strange mix of other wins and losses means Detroit's path through the Western Conference playoffs has just gotten twice as tough. As the No. 2 seed, Detroit has the potential to play Colorado in the second round and then would have to play on the road against Dallas in the conference finals (if both teams advance that far). Had the Red Wings won, they would have stayed away from Colorado or Dallas until the third round and would have had home ice in the Western Conference Finals. Maybe that's getting into too many details, but the Western Conference championship has been decided in Game 7 in three of the last four seasons and the home team has won Game 7 each time. One unfortunate game, one unfortunate goal -- the hockey gods are speaking, and they're not saying Detroit.

Cu-choke on that suckers. :tongue:

hey i got a wager, how about if your team loses, than the other person can come up with a signature that you have to use until their team is eliminated? it cant be anything obscene or something that will get you banned, but something that would be a little embarrassing is acceptable. what do you think?

chizip- I find your avatar rude and disrespectful. :angry: It's one thing to route for your team, but must you be childish about it?

Guess us Canuck fans will have the last laugh. See you in Vancouver on Wednesday you cocky :censored: :wave:

:slant:

being childish is the best part :wink: :mac:

and yes I can't wait to root for my team on Thursday :wave:

it should be a fantastic series, it's a shame one of them has to lose in the 1st round. whoever wins this series though I'll be rooting for to win the Stanley Cup, although niether really has a realistic shot. :(

but hey you gotta believe

good luck and may the best team win (the Blues) :tongue:

oh and popangel, i like your sig too :wave:

Last edited:
Chizip said:
and yes I can't wait to root for my team on Thursday :wave:

Suuuuuuuuuuure :mad: Knock me 'cause I can't spell! :angry:

It will be a good series indeeeeeed. Can't wait to see St. Louis have the blues.....
sad-smiley-034.gif

:laugh: :wave:

Today is Thursday? Is it?

argh! this is the bad part about playoff season. It lasts two months. Get it started already!

Re: Five reasons why the Red Wings won't repeat

Chizip said:
By Mike Heika
Special to ESPN.com
Cu-choke on that suckers. :tongue:

Well, if we're going to base playoff performance on one game, more specifically the last game that the number one goalie played in, how about this... oh wait I forget what happened to Ozzy in his last game... did he get a shutout... no? You're telling me he lost... badly? What kind of statement game is that? :eyebrow:

Eno-ugh crap talk... let's see some action...

Chizip said:
i think its kind of weird how all canadians root for all canadian teams

That's not entirely true... I've never cheered for the Senators or Flames; anyway, just take a look at the "Leaf nation"... either you're a fan or you detest them with all the life in your body. However, under special circumstances, such as when only one Canadian team is left in the playoffs, MOST (except Canuck fans :wink:) hockey fans North of the border will root AGAINST the American team... that's just how it is... come on, it's been ten years, what do you expect?

well cujo, its not just 1 game, its just that game was a great reminder of past failures. oh and ozzy's last game was a very solid 2-2 against chicago, he saved our bacon as the defense played like crap.

This guy also agrees about cu-choke. (He is the one guy who actually knows something about hockey at espn)

By John Buccigross
Special to ESPN.com

Edmonton Oilers vs. Dallas Stars
Fans of both teams know the history of this matchup. Edmonton will play tough, as they always do, but the Anson Carter trade weakened them. It will be more evident in this series than during the regular season. Dallas should be OK here. They are a little banged up, but they are playing well and should sweep the Oilers. Dallas getting home-ice advantage is huge. And I think Marty Turco's play is the difference. He is a champion. Stars in 4.

Anaheim Mighty Ducks vs. Detroit Red Wings
I can't believe the Wings did not seize home-ice advantage with games in Columbus and Chicago to end their season. I think that could prove fatal to their Stanley Cup hopes. Anaheim is a much tougher opponent than Edmonton. Anaheim has good special teams, is good at faceoffs and has a good goalie. Anaheim is good enough to beat Detroit. In fact, I would take Jean-Sebastien Giguere over Curtis Joseph if I were starting a team right now. The Wings might be fooling me. Maybe they will tighten things up in the postseason like the legends they are. But, for now, they are too loose. I can't believe I'm typing this, and it's a reach, but I have no faith in Cujo. Anaheim in 6.

Minnesota Wild vs. Colorado Avalanche
This is a good matchup for Minnesota. They can focus on one line and one player: the Peter Forsberg line and Joe Sakic. There is not much else here to be frightened of offensively. However, the Avs counter with a very good blue line. Minnesota can skate and works harder than anyone. But I wonder if they have another gear for the playoffs. It seems like they just played 82 playoff games with their intensity and effort. I say they are pooped. I'll take Colorado in 5.

St. Louis Blues vs. Vancouver Canucks
It will be nice to see one of these teams in the second round, because it will probably give them some needed confidence. Vancouver is not playing well right now, but remember Detroit won just one of their last 10 regular-season games last year. Imagine how nasty it will be between Chris Pronger and Todd Bertuzzi in front of the net. I think St. Louis' talented forwards will win out here and win despite some shaky goaltending. St. Louis in 6.

looks like this board will be pretty sad in about 2 weeks, except for me and avsgirl that is :tongue: :yes: :wave:

Last edited:
Tell him bonoman...

I'll be at Game 4 of Edmonton/Dallas...
Section 108, row 5... can't wait.

Let's go Oilers... Marchant will do it again I tell you.

from a credible hockey source :wink:

you're just pissed he picks both Canadian teams to lose

you crazy Canucks

Chizip said:
oh and how they proclaim themselves as "hockeytown", give me a break, any hockeytown would have to be in canada, those people are nuts. detroit is full of bandwagon fans, not as bad as colorado, but close.

it wouldn't have to be in canada.

maybe you've never been to the land of 10,000 (more like 15,000+) lakes....but in minnesota EVERY kid grows up with a stick and skates.

it's just the way it is.

Back
Top Bottom