NHL Playoffs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
link

Who will Canucks play in Round 1?
Ghost of playoffs past feels 'nervous about the first round, really nervous'

By GARY MASON
The Vancouver Sun

There I was, sitting in my La-Z-Boy, just me, some pop, some chips, some dip, a package of licorice Twizzlers, a Caramilk bar, a pan of Rice Krispie squares and the latest copy of The Hockey News, when the voice descended on me.

Well, Mr. Know-it-all, who do the Canucks wanna face in the first round?

I closed my magazine and looked around.

Who's there?

I'm the ghost of playoffs past. Canucks playoffs past to be precise. I've been there for them all, kid. I saw Smyl hit the post against Calgary in '89 and Kirk McLean make the greatest save of his life against those same Flames in '94. But I've got to tell you I'm nervous about the first round, really nervous.

Nervous? I said. About the first round? Obviously you haven't been following the Canucks too closely this year. They're likely going to be the highest scoring team in the league for the second straight year, likely going to win their division, likely going to have this year's NHL scoring leader in their lineup, and you're worried?

Well, they haven't sewn up the division title yet. And if Colorado manages to overtake them St. Louis won't be any fun at all.

Well, let me let you in on a little secret Mr. Ghost. St. Louis doesn't have a goalie who can drink a glass of water without leaking. And that's why they won't get past the first round regardless of who they play.

Yes, that's what they said about Chris Osgood in '98 too. Somehow he managed to get his name engraved on old Stanley that year. And let me tell you another thing: the Canucks don't have five guys that can match Al MacInnis, Doug Weight, Keith Tkachuk, Pavol Demitra and a defenceman named Chris Pronger. Ever heard of him?

Oh, that's a good one Ghostie Boy. Ever heard of Chris Pronger. Actually, it's funny you should mention him. Saw his debut against Detroit a couple of nights ago. I wonder if he got wind burn from all those Wings flying by him?

Wind burn. Oh, that's so witty. Give me a second to gather myself. I have it on good authority that Pronger will be ready for the playoffs. And he'll be bringing a mean streak that will have the Sedins complaining of mysterious ailments before the game.

Hey, don't you worry about the Sedins. Just tell Keith Tkachuk to keep his head up when Brad May's on the ice.

What about Anaheim? You probably think the Canucks would just blow by them as well. I've been following Paul Kariya's team and let me tell you, they are going to surprise someone.

Yeah, well, when Steve Thomas is your second best player I don't get too worried.

Well, allow me to let you in on a little secret. When it comes to the playoffs the most important player on your team is the goaltender. And when it comes to the playoffs little things, like faceoffs, become crucial. The Ducks have two of the best goalies in the league and the best faceoff percentage in the entire NHL.

Please, please. Next you're going to be saying Sandis Ozolinsh is a legitimate Conn Smythe candidate.

And Minnesota? I guess the Mighty Nucks would take care of them in four straight.

Maybe the Wild could eke out a win but of all the possible matchups I like this one the best. Yes, Minny has some speed and any team coached by Jacques Lemaire is going to be ready to play, but in the end they're no match for Vancouver.

Teams don't score as many goals in the playoffs as they do during the regular season. That's why goaltending is 100 times more important. One bad goal and ... well, ask Dan Cloutier about that. But I wouldn't mind going into the playoffs with Manny Fernandez and Dwayne Roloson as my tandem. They're good enough to steal a series all by themselves.

And don't forget Edmonton, Mr. Ghostie, they're still a threat. As long as no one discovers Tommy Salo's weak spot and fires a puck at his head. Maybe the Canucks can sign someone from Belarus just in case we meet them in the first round.

Yes, maybe so. But the Oilers have something the Canucks don't - those five Stanley Cup banners that hang from the rafters. In recent years, those banners have been known to give Edmonton teams special powers come playoff time. Just ask Dallas.

Tell you what. Why don't we have a little wager here? I say the Canucks advance to the second round no matter who they play.

I say it's another first-round disappointment.

You win and I give up Rice Krispie squares. I win and you have to promise not to say where I hide my Caramilk bars.

Won't say boo.

Last edited:
Yes, read that in the Sun today. That's just Gary Mason having a bit of fun. He does make some good points, but I'm not too concerned. The Canucks are a high octane machine running on special Orca fuel only found on the West Coast of BC. We have a secret ingredient. It's in the fish.

I suppose you didn't notice that my last post was slightly (note: sarcasm) tongue in cheek? :wink:

But I do believe it's in the fish. You can't argue that. On a related note, I heard Markus was dating a Mermaid.

If they lose the first round, will Todd Bertuzzi cry and yell insults again like he did in 2000-2001? :sexywink:

I have nothing against the Canucks. I just like to remember that.

If the sky falls on a forest, does anyone care? Ah, if the Canucks lose in the first round, if if if if!!! Bertuzi might be a whiner, but to his defense, I'd be whining too if I received 3 highsticks to my face on average per game. The refs don't call it because he's considered tough, and also because they don't like him because he whines. But the reason he whines is because he never gets any calls. You see, it's a vicious cycle that only Todd will be able to get out of. I don't mind players crying though. It shows they have emotion, that they give a damn. He almost cried the other night after missing the breakaway (which would have won the game) against Phoenix. So, to answer your question, yes, he may cry *if* the Canucks were to lose in the first round, but hey, who wouldn't want Todd Bertuzzi on their hockey team?

What a player, what a team...it's the Nazzy and Tuzzy show.

Michael Griffiths said:
If the sky falls on a forest, does anyone care? Ah, if the Canucks lose in the first round, if if if if!!! Bertuzi might be a whiner, but to his defense, I'd be whining too if I received 3 highsticks to my face on average per game. The refs don't call it because he's considered tough, and also because they don't like him because he whines. But the reason he whines is because he never gets any calls.

I'm a girl, I like it when players cry. When Jiri Fischer burst into tears during the Red Wings-Avs series, I thought it was very nice.

But yelling "You f---ing sons of bitches! You suck!" is pretty bad.

I don't think being whiney is *ever* acceptable in hockey though. Dan Hinote, Todd Bertuzzi, whoever they are and whatever the reason, it's just not cool. :no:

Wayne used to whine. He was well known for it. Flames fans used to call him a whiner to try and throw him off his game. Of course, he promptly responded each time by setting the Saddledome on fire by scroring 5 or 6 points but still no one ever learned....

AvsGirl41 said:
When Jiri Fischer burst into tears during the Red Wings-Avs series, I thought it was very nice.

Heehee! I enjoyed that as well, I have to say. Poor Jiri.

I don't know though, in general. I like the post-winning-the-Cup kind of crying. But frustrated crying ... hmmm. I know I'm a girl, and I'm therefore supposed to enjoy it. And I guess I do on some level (depending on the player). But overall it seems kind of ... wussy to me. :silent:

Mirrorball Girl said:

Heehee! I enjoyed that as well, I have to say. Poor Jiri.

I don't know though, in general. I like the post-winning-the-Cup kind of crying. But frustrated crying ... hmmm. I know I'm a girl, and I'm therefore supposed to enjoy it. And I guess I do on some level (depending on the player). But overall it seems kind of ... wussy to me. :silent:

I would have to agree...it definitely depends on the player. Jiri Fischer crying out of frustration--I feel for. Mike Modano, I would just laugh at and hold against forever. :evil:

Edgeman said:
I will be cheering for two teams this year. The Leafs and the Oilers. I live close to Edmonton, so I've become a fan since like forever....but I love my leafs!

Go Leafs/Oilers Go!!!!

Wow a U2 fan that cheers for the Leafs/Oilers that's rare... welcome to the club.

PS- I'm guessing you know who else I cheer for... maybe I'll see you up in Edmonton...

Yeah, well, when Steve Thomas is your second best player I don't get too worried.

I guess this guys never heard of Thomas' playoff success... or the fact that he is tied with Sergei Fedorov for scoring the most overtime goals all time (how's that for clutch?).

The refs don't call it because he's considered tough, and also because they don't like him because he whines. But the reason he whines is because he never gets any calls.

Hey, well tell that to the other 300 tough guys in the league who have to deal with the stigma of "diver", "cheap player", or "fighter"... most of the time refs don't decide games... players do by getting frustrated and having the "me against the world attitude" (see Maple Leafs and Isles last year... if I have to see Peter Laviolette's bitter face again I'M GOING TO CRY).

come oooon canucks, lose to la, coooome on colorado, beat st louis to set up a st louis vs vancouver 1st round match up. that'd be sweep, i mean sweet, but also a sweep.

bring on the canuckerbockers.

So, it all comes down to 1 pm Sunday afternoon. That will be the game that decides the scoring title (Art Ross trophy), the goal scoring leader (Richard trophy), the final positioning of the "elite" Western Conference teams. This game will be the deciding factor on whether St. Louis plays Vancouver or Colorado, whether Vancouver plays Anaheim or St. Louis. I can't believe Colorado won with 10 seconds left in OT last night to retain control of their destiny! I was so choked. And Hejduk is now leading the NHL in goals - 49 to Naslund's 48. Naslund better get a hat trick and 4 assists so Tuzzy can get 50 as well.

Michael Griffiths said:
So, it all comes down to 1 pm Sunday afternoon. That will be the game that decides the scoring title (Art Ross trophy), the goal scoring leader (Richard trophy), the final positioning of the "elite" Western Conference teams. This game will be the deciding factor on whether St. Louis plays Vancouver or Colorado, whether Vancouver plays Anaheim or St. Louis. I can't believe Colorado won with 10 seconds left in OT last night to retain control of their destiny! I was so choked. And Hejduk is now leading the NHL in goals - 49 to Naslund's 48. Naslund better get a hat trick and 4 assists so Tuzzy can get 50 as well.

That blew me away as well...even though I missed it.

I want Milan Hejduk to win the scoring title. Then people will finally remember who he is. He's an amazing player and underestimated even here in Colorado.

The standings, courtesy of Yahoo:

Eastern Conference
Team GP Pts
1. y-Ottawa 81 111
2. y-New Jersey 81 107
3. y-Tampa Bay 81 93
4. x-Philadelphia 81 105
5. x-Toronto 81 98
6. x-Washington 81 90
7. x-Boston 81 85
8. x-NY Islanders 80 81
9. NY Rangers 81 78
10. Montreal 81 75
11. Buffalo 80 71
12. Atlanta 80 70
13. Florida 81 70
14. Pittsburgh 81 65
15. Carolina 81 61

Western Conference
Team GP Pts
1. y-Detroit 81 109
2. y-Dallas 81 109
3. x-Vancouver 81 104
4. x-Colorado 81 103
5. x-St. Louis 81 99
6. x-Anaheim 82 95
7. x-Minnesota 81 93
8. x-Edmonton 81 92
9. Phoenix 81 77
10. Chicago 81 77
11. Los Angeles 81 76
12. Nashville 81 74
13. Calgary 81 73
14. San Jose 81 72
15. Columbus 81 69

tomorrow is when the standings will mean something

its a shame when 80 milion dollars cant even buy you a playoff birth

lets go kiiiings, 2nd intermission, 0-0 score, lets go kings get a freakin goal, bring on the cancuks!!

haha, detroit lost, suckers, i told ya all cu-choke cant perform under pressure.

i didn't know the canucks play by play guy was the guy who did the announcing for nhl 2003. its really weird listening to him now.

1 more period until my playoff predictions, i know you all cant wait.

go kings!!!

Originally posted by Chizip
Well we can predict the final standings:

Dallas -right
Detroit -right
Colorado -right
Vancouver -right
St. Louis -right
Minnesota -right
Edmonton -wrong
Anaheim -wrong

Then posted by Michael Griffiths

It's a dream all right. RALMFAO!! Vancouver in 4th place???

Well, I can predict the final standings, too (but this time we'll dip into a little realsm):

Detroit -wrong
Dallas -wrong
Vancouver -wrong
Colorado -wrong
St. Louis -right
Anaheim -wrong
Minnesota -wrong
Edmonton -wrong

So I got the last 2 spots wrong, excuse me. But other than that I'm a hockey genious. So much for your 'realsm'. Is this the same realsm that says the Canucks are an "elite" team. Sorry but elite teams that control their own destiny to win their conference dont lose games at home to teams with 30 less points than them.

Oh man this is great, we would have lost in 5 games to Colorado, now we will win in 6. So sweet, and I've got a place to do some trash talking, doesnt get any beeter than this.

So, here are my predictions:

Dallas-Edmonton -juicy series, dallas in 6
Detroit-Anaheim -cu-choke almost blows it, detroit in 5
Colorado-Minnesota -good series, Colorado in 7
Canucks-Blues -Blues in 6

Dallas-Blues -one of the elite teams that doesn't scare us, blues in 7
Detroit-Colorado -Roy outplays cu-choke, Colorado in 6

Blues vs Colorado -blues clicking on all cylinders by now, blues in 6

who cares about the east, they are playing for second

so i'll stick with my philly pick

blues win in 5

today really couldnt have worked out any better for the blues.

bring on the real season!!! this is where it gets interesting.

we've had our disagreements but we've always kept it clean, so i dont see that becoming a problem. should be a really fun 1st round though.

Chizip, my predictions were realistic - much more so than yours. Who would could have realistically predicted the Canucks would CHOKE like they did (not just against LA, but against Phoenix and the Ducks)? By the way, I got that from Naslund - right after the game he said they "choked". But I also believe him when he continued to say, right after that, that the Canucks would show up in the playoffs in a big way.

This is really a blessing in disguise anyway. I'd rather play the Blues than the Wild. The Wild are obnoxious checkers, wheras the Blues play a similar, up-tempo game as the Canucks, and can be beaten more easily. I say the Kings did Vancouver a huge favour! Bring on them on the Blues!! Should be a lot of fun in the first round.

Last edited:
Damn that Dallas Edmonton curse...

I'm gonna be up in Edmonton bleeding blue, white, and gold (game 4 probably)... hey, I get my ass kicked everywhere I go...

Maybe I'll go to Modano's favorite haunt and have some perogies with him... then I'll get him drunk and convince him that peeing on a police cruiser is fun... then maybe his friends can bail him out... I hear Belfour is good with them cops...

Back
Top Bottom