NHL Playoffs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow, streets for pregame has gotta be pretty sweet, I know if I was a player that would pump me up, maybe thats why Vancouver is doing so well this year.

I gotta admit lately they have been damn hot, dismantling team after team (except for the Blues of course) which pisses me off cause I was hoping Colorado could pass them, which looks verrry doubtful now. That means a first round match up between the Blues and the 'lanche. Needless to say Im not holding my breath, which is a shame cause even with the team decimated with injuries this year we have played hard and well. But hey, if Pronger and Tkachuk and Val Bure all come back for the playoffs maybe we'll get something going, but who would you rather have in net Osgood or Wah.

Hmm, wow, Ive gotten way off my original point, which was gonna be, Vancouver has played well now, but they still gotta prove they can do it in the post season, until then I will hold off proclaiming them an elite team. Playoffs are what count in the NHL, not the regular season. Being a Blues fan I know this too well. :(

I find it funny that the teams that don't have Roy in net are the ones most eager to bash him!

What was it Detroit said last season...something like "We hate him, but we'd love him to play for us" ?

Jealousy is *such* an ugly thing! :evil:

cujo said:

I did notice that on televised broadcasts... Montreal also used that during the playoffs to start off the night. Most cities have an ample dose of U2 during games.

Interesting little fact...Forsberg's favorite band is U2.

There's photos of him, Mats Sundin and the band which I find amazingly cool.

Chris Drury is also a fan of U2...

Here in Calgary they always play Beautiful Day, Desire, Hold me Thrill me Kiss me Kill me, Elevation, and I've even heard mofo....

I'm so pumped. It looks like I'll be able to see a playoff game for the first time in a decade. You can imagine my excitement to see either Edmonton/Detroit or Edmonton/Dallas... now that I've said that, my chances of getting tickets are officially cursed...

As for the comment about Roy AvsGirl, I think a lot of people don't like him because of his media image. I admit that I'm not his biggest fan, but he is a good goalie. You can't fault a guy for having the desire for winning. However, contrary to what you said earlier, I would not want Roy to play for my team if I had the choice. Too many times have I seen him play awful in Calgary... maybe my presence throws him... could it be the sign I hold up: "Has been, Never 'Roy's"... just kidding. I'm not in the habit of heckling players; I'd rather spend my energy cheering for a team as opposed to booing their competition.

Michael Griffiths said:
Cujo, were you a fan of Calgary in the 80s?

I'm actually not really a Calgary fan (I am forced now as default because it's where I live), and I wasn't very old in the eighties... I've been an Edmonton fan ever since I was little, but I cheer for all Canadian teams, and from my username you can probably figure who else. But I did follow the eighties teams... too bad Calgary can't ice Gary Roberts, Joe Nieuwendyk, or Lanny MacDonald... that was a friggin' awesome team...

Actually the last playoff game I saw was a game 7 between Calgary and Vancouver... since I had lived in Vancouver, I was one of the few cheering "Go Canucks Go"... did you ever notice that chant sounds an awful lot like "Coconuts Go"... maybe it's just me...

Last edited:
I'd rather spend my energy cheering for a team as opposed to booing their competitionI'd rather spend my energy cheering for a team as opposed to booing their competition

and spend your energy booing the United States' National Anthem you Canadian sunuvabitch.

also didn't Roy beat his wife or something? maybe thats why people dont like him, thats not a good thing to do.

Chizip said:

and spend your energy booing the United States' National Anthem you Canadian sunuvabitch.

also didn't Roy beat his wife or something? maybe thats why people dont like him, thats not a good thing to do.

Excuse me? I've never booed the US national anthem for any reason... I did not want at all to bring up that event in these threads, but guess what... worm can has been opened. First of all, Montreal does not exactly represent the cross-section of Canada. I probably live closer to you than those disrespectful Habs fans... how would you like it if I lumped you in with some asshole Detroit Piston/Red Wing fans who booed the Canadian anthem during last years playoffs... you're American, can you not account for their actions. I must then associate you with them, because you are American and you are all alike... (I don't actually think this, I like America, but I am being facetious to prove a point).

Having lived in the States and having a lot of friends there, I find it very offensive that you would accuse me of disrespecting the United States. On the other hand, you cannot judge a select FEW habs fans who wanted to express their political opinion. This fan outburst was misconstrued by the media as being anti-American when it truly was not... it was an anti-war statement. It looks as if you failed to mention the large ovation that the Star Spangled Banner received at the Maple Leafs game on Saturday night. Why should you really care though... the Islanders were inspired (for the wrong reasons) and went on to woop the Canadien's ass...

I know what you are saying though... I don't appreciate it when my national anthem is booed. When the Maple Leafs and Islanders played each other in the opening round last year, you could see a real dichotomy between the fan's respect. A lot of New Yorkers booed the Canadian anthem, while Leaf fans were patient and allowed the American anthem(s) pass without consequence.

The thing that really pisses me off is that you speak of this as an isolated incident. Booing of anthems happens far too often, and in my opinion I think they should just get rid of the anthems altogether... especially in hockey, with such a diverse talent pool... how would you appreciate sitting through thirteen different anthems before puck drop...?

I'm not going to judge you Chizip for your comments, because I think you were trying to make some sort of crude joke... as for Roy, his name was dragged through the mud for that "wife-beating" incident. It was actually a domestic dispute where Roy ripped a door off it's hinges, but his wife wasn't injured. I don't condone that behavior, but it sounds a lot like how team USA acted after their early exit from the Nagano games.

The point I'm trying to make is that people make too many assumptions... those that make statements without actually knowing all of the facts only encourage more generalizing... maybe I wasn't wrong when I said that all you watch is Sportscenter Chizip... that seems to be your only source of wrong information... but your stance is understandable.

oh man, i knew i should have put a :tongue: or :wink: or :evil: or :wave: or :madspit: or :p or :drunk: after my post to let ya know I was joking. I didn't mean to open up that can at all, I know there are just a few jackasses out there in every country, what can ya do. I'm not the kind of guy that gets pissed off easily so it would take a lot more than a few drunk booing Canadians to piss me off. I know all about stupid Americans booing to the Canadian anthem in response and then Canadians cheering the anthem also as a response. So I like my Canadian friends and didn't really mean to bring in politics or anything here, I'll leave that to FYM. Just a bad joke I suppose.

So for future reference, I use the term sununvabitch as a joking term (or even a good term, (bill bratsky is a sununvabitch! (snl reference)), if I was gonna really insult you I'd have said f'ing asshole or something like that. But I can understand you taking it the wrong way, like I said I should have used one of those smilies to clarify.

And I was asking about the Roy situation, Ive heard people say on other message boards he's beat his wife, and I never really was sure what the whole situation was, so glad to have it clarified.

alright, back to the real topics:

cu-choke still sucks
vancouver is not an elite team
the east sucks and no team from the east will win the cup
i hate detroit
u2 is good, hockey is good, u2+hockey = great
my fantasy hockey team is going for the championship this week
i dont like hockey mascots
i wouldnt mind hockey cheerleaders
canadians are sunsabitches :tongue:
oops, cross that last one out :wink:

Last edited:
Chizip said:
oh man, i knew i should have put a :tongue: or :wink: or :evil: or :wave: or :madspit: or :p or :drunk: after my post to let ya know I was joking.

like I said I should have used one of those smilies to clarify.

I think considering everything that's going on in the world right now, a smilie to clarify your intentions behind that comment would have been highly appreciated. I took offense to that comment and I'm not from Canada.

to even further clarify my point, i was acutally making fun of Americans who severly overreacted to the booing of the anthem. In today's world if you let that kind of stuff get to you then you must be a mad, bitter, unhappy person most of the time. and thats no fun.

Chizip said:
oh man, i knew i should have put a :tongue: or :wink: or :evil: or :wave: or :madspit: or :p or :drunk: after my post to let ya know I was joking.

cu-choke still sucks
vancouver is not an elite team
the east sucks and no team from the east will win the cup
i hate detroit
my fantasy hockey team is going for the championship this week
oops, cross that last one out :wink:

I was pretty sure you were joking, and I definitely wasn't trying to blame you for some bad media coverage... I've got nothing against you Chizip, I mean you can't help but being a Blues fan...

Let there be no further comment on what me and Chizip have said... it will probably be taken out of context, like how I took the original post out of context...

Anyway, cu-choke doesn't suck you suck...

That's the best a drunken Canadian can come up with...

On behalf of political sensitivity, you are forgiven Chizip... I'm glad there hasn't been any true disrespect thus far, and I think that is a reflection of the intelligence of the members of this forum.

Feel free to make Canadian comments in any context... I'm not easily offended, but misrepresentations and exaggerations about nationalism probably offends everybody to some degree...

Last edited:
Regardless, Cujo definitly is a Canadian sunofabiotch.

My 2 cents: People who mock other countries are jerks......

(can you taste the hypocrisy?)

Last edited:
u2popmofo said:
Regardless, Cujo definitly is a Canadian sunofabiotch.

I don't think that point was in contention... (my comments only further confirm that)

and Chizip don't worry... I've said so many things that have been taken out of context; it's refreshing to see someone else can find humor in an other wise touchy subject...

Anyways, back to hockey...

What's with Minnesota? Those assholes look like they got a good team... good, but boring.

Chizip said:

Well... can't argue with any of that... but I do think that Harvey the Hound is quite entertaining... hockey cheerleaders... we all know you just want to try out. You want to wave the white towel for the Blues and sing the goal celebration...

Do the Blues have a mascot... maybe it should be a Lemming, seeing as St. Louis always seems to fall off a cliff during the playoffs...:wink: I wouldn't mind throwing you off the second tier bleachers...(that was a joke to clarify)

Cujo, ah, so were you too young to remember Gretzky then? I would have given anything to see him play in his prime. I did see him when he still had the magic in '92. I went to Disneyland and watched the Kings play the Canadiens. He had 4 points that night against Patrick Roy (wife beater or not ;)).

Let there be no further comment on what me and Chizip have said

This reminds me of the Simpsons where the real Seymour Skinner showed up to Springfield, yet they didnt like the guy so they shipped him off on a train and the judge was like, "Let us never speak of this incident ever again." (or something like that)

we dont need mascots to get us pumped up, the fans can do it on their own, thank ya very much. we do have a really fat guy in the stands where they play some fast music and he just starts shaking really fast, i mean he goes bezerk, shaking like a mad man, and the crowd really gets into it, kind of weird. if we were to have a mascot id hope it would be a sunuvabitch, then people in the crowd could be like, hey here comes the sunuvabitch, or there goes that sunuvabitch. i should probably try out for that job.

Michael Griffiths said:
Cujo, ah, so were you too young to remember Gretzky then? I would have given anything to see him play in his prime. I did see him when he still had the magic in '92. I went to Disneyland and watched the Kings play the Canadiens. He had 4 points that night against Patrick Roy (wife beater or not ;)).

I do remember Gretzky in Edmonton, but didn't have the privilege of seeing him... we had to do this class project one time where we had to give reasons why we were thankful for the Oilers... fan propaganda started at an early age...

Even though I didn't see him, I've got lots of Gretz stuff... have you always been a canucker... I was really a hardcore supporter of Kirk Mclean and Trevor Linden. I would've given anything to see any of those finals games...

This reminds me of the Simpsons where the real Seymour Skinner showed up to Springfield, yet they didnt like the guy so they shipped him off on a train and the judge was like, "Let us never speak of this incident ever again."

:lol: ... maybe it's said but I thought that was very appropriate. Simpson's references are always welcome... except for that episode where they totally diss hockey. The one where they went to Toronto was unsettling, as it was too true.

I've always cheered for Vancouver because I've always lived in BC, but the first team I cheered for was the Canadiens, if you can believe it - starting in '89 when they went to the finals against Calgary and lost to them. I loved watching Patrick Roy back then. Then I became I Gretzky fan, and cheered for LA, if you can believe it, and ironically enough, they lost to Patrick Roy and the Canadiens in the 93 finals. I felt so sorry for Gretz.

Oh man, America Jr was faaaantastic.

"American currency?? What time do you want your breakfast sir!"

I thought Canadians would hate this episode, but you gotta be able to laugh at yourself or else you'll go crazy. I know the person I make fun of the most is myself.

Then I became I Gretzky fan

So were you a Blues fan during his time in St. Louis? :wink:

I hate Gretzky, he said he was looking forward to finish his career in St. Louis, then left during free agency during the offseason. And he coughed up the puck that led to Yzerman scoring from the blue line in game 7 of the playoffs. Gretzky is not a sunuvabitch, he's a jerk off :mad:

Chizip said:
you gotta be able to laugh at yourself or else you'll go crazy. I know the person I make fun of the most is myself.

exactly, you hoser.

He's a baby. He didn't like playing for Keenan. And then managament pulled their contract off the table after a terrible 8-3 loss to detroit in the playoffs. Only after they did that did he start doing squat, but his ego was so bruised he decided right then he wouldnt resign with us. So good riddance I say.

Chizip said:
He's a baby. He didn't like playing for Keenan. And then managament pulled their contract off the table after a terrible 8-3 loss to detroit in the playoffs. Only after they did that did he start doing squat, but his ego was so bruised he decided right then he wouldnt resign with us. So good riddance I say.

you better not be talking about cujo you sunovabitch :wink:
I don't think anyone has had a ceremonious exit from St. Louis whilst Mike Keenan was coach.

You know he led the Blues in scoring during the playoffs right? Anyway, Keenan reemed him out in front of the entire team after they lost. He was singled out and blamed for the team losing. That's not cool. He was their best and most valuable player all playoffs. So, yeah, he was the Sensitive One. And that was perfectly understandable.

Back
Top Bottom