NHL Playoffs - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-18-2003, 05:22 PM   #31
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 04:58 PM
Osgood was facing a different team then. If I were the Canucks, I'd be itching to prove it to him rather than shake in my boots as you say. As for the Blues, 5 points out of first is a lot in the tight Western Conference. Everyone wins out here, some just more than others.

BTW, the Canucks have had their share of injuries as well this year. Jovo was out for a while, and as you know, Ohlund and Chubarov were key defensive players for them, and they're still out, not to mention the league's winningest goalie (at the time of injury) going down. Vancouver has faced just as much adversity as any team out there, but we are still ahead of the Blues and should remain so.

As for the current core players remaining the same on Stanley Cup winners, Colorado isn't quite the same. Some key ingredients are missing from their Cup winning team, as I'm sure you're aware.

Should be a great game tonight!

Old 03-18-2003, 05:24 PM   #32
New Yorker

Local Time: 09:58 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by cujo
As well, I have nothing against the Avs, but I have to disagree with the whole cu-choking thing (you guys understand, you do the same when your team is under attack)... I think that the Wings beat you guys in the last meeting, handily...
Because we lost Forsberg. Plain and simple. It caused havoc within the lines and Detroit jumped on that. We were in the lead until Forsberg got hurt. If he hadn't, we probably would have won the game.

Again, I could remind you we beat them twice consecutively. "Handily" as you like to put it. One good game from Detroit does not erase two.

Quote:
Just kidding guys... it's nice to see there is passion for hockey, even in Indiana. There does seem to be a load of Canucks and Avs fans though... I am curious to see how long those Avs followers will watch when their team starts to go down the drain... Canuck fans have been through the crap, and deserve to see their team finally get deep in the playoffs... even St. Louis is due for a playoff win or two...
I have no doubt many Avs fans will desert. Most Avs "fans" know crap about hockey--many are just bandwagon jumpers. The sheer, inexplicable and popular hatred of Martin Skoula (and recently, Alex Tanguay) is proof enough of that. "See, we're not just highly paid Qwest executives. We really know something about hockey, because we hate Martin Skoula, and we think he's crap because we attend all the games." When they were doing real crappy this season, I heard you could get tickets on the glass from scalpers for $40.

Once Roy, Forsberg and Sakic are gone and the team goes through the awkward rebuilding stage (which will be soon, since Pierre Lacroix and his devoted think they are immortal and it's ok to trade the young players and draft picks) many fans will desert.
However, there are alot of really devoted and really knowledgeable Avs fans--like those of us on the board. The fact that we're here arguing proves that. When the crappy days come, we'll just finally be able to afford tickets!

I don't think alot of cities are radically different from Colorado though. (Except our fair weather fans seem to wear boas and fur coats) How many hockey teams are in danger of folding every year because the fans don't show up to see them lose? Where's the devotion there?

Old 03-18-2003, 09:04 PM   #33
Refugee

Local Time: 09:58 AM
Geez to bad i didnt get a hold of this thread earlier.

combined Bert, Nas, Morisson have 107 goals that is 47% of goals scored on the year by the Canuks.

Detroit: Hull Federov Shannahan- 89 goals that is 38% of all goals scored

Colorado: Forsberg Tanquay Hejduk 86 goals that is 40% of goals scored

Dallas: Guiern Modano Lehtinen 81 goals for 37% of goals scored.

SO Vancity does depend more on their big line then the other contenders in the west.

Also i dont think Vancity will make the the cup. They will be beat by a top three team. I love them but they arent winning no cup.
Old 03-18-2003, 09:40 PM   #34
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Bonoman,

Take any year from the Oilers' dynasty and calculate how much of a percentage the top line got (Gretzky and Kurri alone even). I'm sure it was higher than 50% from the years 1982 to '86, each season, and even all seasons combined. But that didn't stop the Oilers from winning the cup year after year.
Old 03-18-2003, 10:50 PM   #35
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:58 AM
Well that was a pretty good game tonight. Pretty disappointed with the defensive effort on the Blues part, and Ozzie wasnt great but hey, his streak continues. Pronger should be back in a couple weeks which will provide the Blues over 30 min of MVP defense per game which will be huge.

Random thoughts:

So if the Blues win their 2 games in hand to tie the Canucks in points will they be considered an "elite" team too?

The disallowed goal was a terrible call.

Cloutier sure looks like the best goalie in the league

Yes I know Osgood isnt any better.

Vancouver probably got tired there in the 3rd period, but hey the playoffs get tiring, and "elite" teams work their way through it.

Blues vs Canucks is turning into a nice little rivalry. A 1st round matchup would be very interesting, and very heated. I think it would be a toss up on who would win but Im a Blues fan so Id think theyd come out on top.

At least 1 great team will lose in the 1st round of the playoffs, its a shame the only compeition is in the West, the East really doesnt compare.

Um, thats about it, time to watch sportscenter to get my hockey news.
Old 03-18-2003, 11:25 PM   #36
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Yeah, that was a good game. Some random thoughts:

* If Naslund had put the puck into the wide open net (off the two on one with Morrison) in the first period, the score would have been 3-0 at that point.

* Cloutier was rusty as hell, but that's to be expected when you haven't played in a month.

* Bertuzzi did almost nothing all night, and Naslund continues to struggle.

* The Sedin twins stepped up, as they always do in big games.

* The Canucks continue to get production from everyone else, other than the top line (not bad for a team with no depth ).

* The officiating was terrible, but that has come to be expected.

* The Blues were simply hanging on througout the 3rd period, (literally) icing the puck every 10 seconds in the last 10 minutes.

* The Blues finally beat an elite team
Old 03-19-2003, 12:44 AM   #37
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:58 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Griffiths
* Cloutier was rusty as hell, but that's to be expected when you haven't played in a month.

Interesting how some players get a reprieve for their performance because of injury, while others don't (see last year's playoffs)...

Quote:
* The officiating was terrible, but that has come to be expected.
You're about two steps away from becoming a Leafs fan (I know, believe me...). Just kidding, you don't seem like a fan who would beat down on his own players...

Quote:
I don't think alot of cities are radically different from Colorado though. (Except our fair weather fans seem to wear boas and fur coats) How many hockey teams are in danger of folding every year because the fans don't show up to see them lose? Where's the devotion there?
You make a good point AvsGirl, but I disagree with the devotion equals attendance based on success... teams up here in Canada usually have decent backing, yet still manage to flop in the regular season (take my city for example). If you take a look at the Montreal Canadien fans, they are probably the most devoted in the league (on average)... on a nightly basis the Molson (oops Bell) Centre is soldout, even though the team is almost certainly not playoff bound. The disparity lies in a lot of the Southern teams like Anaheim, who deliver a decent and successful on ice product, with very little fan support. This same thing might happen in cities like Colorado, where they are used to winning... but maybe not... Edmonton fans survived. I don't like to pigeon-hole fans of any team, because I know I don't like being lumped in with my "peers". I'm sure your devotion is there Avsgirl... now, I will continue to rant about your other comments...

Quote:
Again, I could remind you we beat them twice consecutively. "Handily" as you like to put it. One good game from Detroit does not erase two.
Agreed... but take a look at the season series... two wins erases two wins. I guess it won't be settled until the playoffs...

Quote:
Oh man, this isnt the same old Blues, we got a new man in goal, OZZZIE! The Ozman cometh and he feasts on the Canucks.
Gee... I think you even quoted Bill Clement... definitely not Harry Neale because the Leafs weren't mentioned in that comment. Chizip I just like giving Blues "fans" a hard time, almost as much as you like to give Curtis fans a hard time...

One more thing Avs girl...

Quote:
Because we lost Forsberg. Plain and simple. It caused havoc within the lines and Detroit jumped on that. We were in the lead until Forsberg got hurt. If he hadn't, we probably would have won the game
A one goal lead ain't much of a lead... especially when you have to provide goal support for wad... I just don't let things go do I? Maybe you guys just don't care... oh well.

Quote:
Booya!
Oh no Chizip... I've officially lost all respect for you
Old 03-20-2003, 10:49 PM   #38
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:58 AM
"Sure, the Canucks are better than that trendy 2002 Eastern pretender, the Carolina Hurricanes, but the they simply don't have the top-to-bottom intangible that recent history deems necessary to win a championship.

Depth."

-Rob Parent (Greatly respected hockey writer)

Old 03-21-2003, 12:43 AM   #39
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Hilarious. If you don't believe that the Canucks have depth, check out the box score from tonight's thrashing of Nashville. I think Brandon Reid just became a superstar Cooke and Letowski kicked some much ass too.
Old 03-21-2003, 12:47 AM   #40
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I'm sure when Vancouver meets Nashville in the playoffs, Matt Cooke will be MVP of the series...

What's that you say? Nashville isn't going to make the playoffs... damn. I bought the Matt Cooke rookie card for nothing.

Just kidding Mikey, I think the Canucks are deep, but I wouldn't go as far as to say that old Cookie is a superstar. Maybe Trent Klatt though... met him at My Favorite Ice Cream shop in Calgary. He's a very small man.
Old 03-21-2003, 12:50 AM   #41
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Yeah, I meant to say Brandon Reid (I just edited my post). He had 2 goals and an assist tonight! He was just called up from the Manitoba Moose!
Old 03-21-2003, 12:52 AM   #42
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

More playoff teams need to call up those AHLers... they seem to really boost a veteran club with desperate energy.
Old 03-21-2003, 12:55 AM   #43
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Yeah, Jason King is really good too. I think they said he was in the running for MVP this season in the AHL. He fits right in with the Sedin twins.
Old 03-21-2003, 12:57 AM   #44
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I could be wrong about the MVP thing, but I thought I heard something along those lines...
Old 03-21-2003, 12:59 AM   #45
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

MVP... Most Valuable Primate?

I was at a Flames game last year, and they actually had that chimpanzee from those movies performing during the half-time show. I sat there and thought, I live in a hick town and I'm a massive TOOL.