NHL Playoffs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Boston vs New Jersey 7pm ET

Edmonton vs Dallas 9pm ET

Toronto vs Philidelphia 7pm ET

remember when hull and gretzky played for the blues? those were the days. before they turned into sunsabitches.

hullwayne.jpg

man those jerseys sure looked fantastic too.

Last edited:
yea i was kidding, i dont know what we were thinking with those diaganol stripes :barf:

and all that red??? red is the worst color for a hockey team, detroit? the blackhawks? :barf:

our jerseys now are 100X better

interesting playoff fact

There is exactly one top-paid player left standing in the playoffs, Anaheim's Paul Kariya at $10 million. The rest of the NHL's Top 24 salaried players are watching the postseason on TV:

$11 million or more per year ... Jaromir Jagr, Capitals, and Keith Tkachuk, Blues.

$10 million or more ... Nicklas Lidstrom, Red Wings, and Pavel Bure, Rangers.

$9 million or more ... Joe Sakic, Avalanche; Brian Leetch, Rangers; Bobby Holik, Rangers; Chris Pronger, Blues; Peter Forsberg, Avalanche; Rob Blake, Avalanche; John LeClair, Flyers; Mats Sundin, Maple Leafs.

$8 million or more ... Bill Guerin, Stars; Doug Weight, Blues; Patrick Roy, Avalanche; Steve Yzerman, Red Wings; Mike Modano, Stars; Jeremy Roenick, Flyers, $8,000,000; Curtis Joseph, Red Wings.

$7 million or more ... Al MacInnis, Blues; Alexei Yashin, Islanders; Zigmund Palffy, Kings; Brendan Shanahan, Red Wings.

That's right, 23 of the 24 players earning more than $7 million this season are done. The highest-paid players on the perennial power still left in the playoffs, the New Jersey Devils, are Scott Stevens and Martin Brodeur at $6,891,103 each.

well that is easy to say but if you look at the past 9 stanley cup champions

Detroit
Colorado
New Jersey
Dallas
Detroit
Detroit
Colorado
New Jersey
NY Rangers

you will notice they are all the top spenders. so maybe this year is just an anamoly that shows, while big spending doesnt guarentee a cup, it greatly enhances your odds of winning.

and it should be noted the team with the best chance to win the cup is new jersey, who is a big spender.

Michael Griffiths said:
You know he led the Blues in scoring during the playoffs right? Anyway, Keenan reemed him out in front of the entire team after they lost. He was singled out and blamed for the team losing. That's not cool. He was their best and most valuable player all playoffs. So, yeah, he was the Sensitive One. And that was perfectly understandable.

actually, he reemed him after they lost the third game 8-3. he hadnt done jackcrap in the playoffs until then, but after keenan called him out he played great. maaaaaybe thats just great coaching and gretzky shouldnt be such a douche?

Whoa, a little late on the reply aren't we? Can'te believe I'm falling into your little trap, but once again I cannot resist temptation...

Gretzky played like crap until Keenan reemed him out? Oh? Is that why he led the Blues in scoring after the 1st round (they played Detroit in the 2nd round) and led the league in playoff assists?

Yeah.

you fool

he played like crap for the first few games of the detroit series, why else would they pull the contract off the table and keenan call him out, because he was playing great? sheesh, take the blinders off.

besides, if he was true to his word of wanting to finish his career in st louis, why didnt he sign the contract he was offered in the first place? it was a better deal then the one he eventually took in new york. ill tell ya why, cause he is a jackass.

Chizip said:
you fool

he played like crap for the first few games of the detroit series, why else would they pull the contract off the table and keenan call him out, because he was playing great? sheesh, take the blinders off.

besides, if he was true to his word of wanting to finish his career in st louis, why didnt he sign the contract he was offered in the first place? it was a better deal then the one he eventually took in new york. ill tell ya why, cause he is a jackass.
Gretzky doesn't play for teams who have no class. You don't single out (your feaking leading scorer!) by placing all the blame on him in front of the rest of the team. You talk to him behind closed doors, not humiliate and degrade him in front of his teammates. You forget to mention that the entire team was playing like crap, and also forgot to mention Gretzky scored the *only* goal in a 1-0 win on a breakaway in game 5. You say Gretzky started to play well at that point. Too bad none of the other Blues followed suite.

Gretzky had every intention of finishing his career in St. Louis, which is why he said he would when he was traded there. His wife is from there, and they were in the middle of looking for a house when Keenan reemed him out. Gretzky decided to take a pay cut in NY (not all players play just for the money), because he wanted to play for a team who actually appreciated him, and play with Mark Messier again. Those two factors, among I'm sure many others, contributed to that decision. Gretzky never looked back, finishing in the top 4 scoring in each of the followng two seasons in NY.

his dream was to play with brett hull

then his dream was to play with mark messier

what a jackass

oh also, i guess gretzky played the entire defense and was also goalie for the 1-0 win if he was the only one that played well

i was actually glad he left though, because it was his turnover in game 7 in double ot that led to the loss, all the hard work and effort put up by the entire team that season was down the drain because of his lazy play in the neutral zone.

good riddance i say.

Chizip said:
oh also, i guess gretzky played the entire defense and was also goalie for the 1-0 win if he was the only one that played well

i was actually glad he left though, because it was his turnover in game 7 in double ot that led to the loss, all the hard work and effort put up by the entire team that season was down the drain because of his lazy play in the neutral zone.

good riddance i say.
Without Gretzky, the Blues wouldn't have even reached game 7... actually, they wouldn't have even beaten the Maple Leafs in the first round! Round 1 was all Gretzky, as his league leading point total after the 1st round attested to.

As for the 1-0 game, if Gretzky didn't score, they would have lost. You need to score a goal to win a game, or do they do things differently in St. Louis? It would have been nice if just ONE other Blue stepped up and put the puck in the net... but once again, it's all left up to Wayne and he delivered - and then took all the blame (from the fans, too, it turns out) anyway.... proving once again, the Blues have no class.

please, the blues are one of the classiest organizations in the nhl, the players always mention how it is great to be with such a classy organization

they may not be winners, but they do things the right way

although back then of course i didnt always agree with everything keenan did, but thats why i respect al macinnis so much. he stuck through it, never complained or said a bad word publicly about what was going on, just went on and did his work. he is the epitome of class and what an nhl player should be, unlike someone else we know ;).

Back
Top Bottom