NHL Playoffs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Chizip said:
griffiths needs an avatar to remember what country he is from. he'd forget his own name if it wasn't his moniker.
Damn! The secret's out. I have a reaaaally bad attention span. I feel so much better now that that's out of the bag.

Cujo - no I missed that. It sounds like it would be amusing. I always like the Royal Canadian Airfarce and This Hour Has 33 minutes, too. Rick Mercer Talking To Americans was way too funny as well.

Last edited:
Tsk tsk.

Back in Jacques Plante's day, it was so cold on the ice that goalies could freeze. So he took to wearing touques in the minors--that he knitted himself in all kinds of crazy colors. The fans loved them. But when he made the NHL, they said he had to stop wearing them. The press made a big deal out of it, saying the NHL was being cruel to take his beloved touque away from him.

But from what I remember, Jacques Plante didn't mind *that* much.

Anyway, that's the connection. I'm just impressed he could knit.

Ok... I knew players used to wear touques when they had the Challenge Cups outside... but I guess I didn't see that particular obscure connection. Another trivial thing to note I guess... if you stick around long enough Avsgirl, you might even learn all my useless knowledge... I have a degree in crapulence you know.

I didn't mean to sound rude in my response if I did...

That's awesome Avs Girl! Jacques was truly amazing. Maybe the best goalie ever? Terry Sawchuck was quite amazing too. Yet, so was Tretiack. Who was the best ever? Someone from the modern era? Patrick Roy? Ken Dryden? I always thought Dryden was a bit over-rated. Grant Fuhr in the 80s was a huge money goalie. Fast as they come. Might have had something to do with his litle habit, but nonetheless...

At first I thought that Avsgirl meant that a touque was a goalie mask... seeing as Plante was the first to wear one. That's one of the things he is most famous for doing...

Did you hear that Grant Fuhr was almost hit by a tour bus... strangest thing, he walked out onto the street and the bus went right between his legs.

Ah yes... the habit that Vernon and Fuhr both were famous for... snort snort, wink wink...

to edcuate our canadian friends, the hole between the goaltenders legs is generally referred to as the 5 hole.

Haha, I remember that joke. He did let in a lot of goals between his legs, didn't he? But when the game was on the line (think '87 Canada Cup or '87 Cup finals), he would ALWAYS shut the door! He made some spectacular saves, too. I remember a save he made once after he'd been knocked down behind the net. The puck was passed out front and he scrambed and dove across the open net, and caught it! He was crazy good when he had to be.

Chizip said:
to edcuate our canadian friends, the hole between the goaltenders legs is generally referred to as the 5 hole.

I know that dumbass... I just said between his legs so it would take you a second to figure out what I said. If I said five hole you would immediately get the fact that it was a joke. Shame shame chizip...

cujo said:
Ok... I knew players used to wear touques when they had the Challenge Cups outside... but I guess I didn't see that particular obscure connection. Another trivial thing to note I guess... if you stick around long enough Avsgirl, you might even learn all my useless knowledge... I have a degree in crapulence you know.

I didn't mean to sound rude in my response if I did...

You didn't. :p

I was just really amazed you didn't know! You guys know way more about hockey than I do, I have to admit. :sexywink: So, you must share your useless knowledge with me, master.

cujo said:
Steve Smith!!!
There's a conspiracy theory out there that Fuhr purposely let that goal in. If you look at the replay, Fuhr actually kicks his foot out toward the puck, which deflected it back into the net. I'm sure it was a pure fluke, but the replay is quite interesting. Talk about bad luck!

Or maybe the Flames hired Smith... lest we forget he captained the Flames a few years back.

Interesting trivia note: The Oilers and Flames have never been involved in a direct player for player deal. (I think they swapped draft picks once). But, lots of players have played for both teams.

cujo said:
Or maybe the Flames hired Smith... lest we forget he captained the Flames a few years back.

Interesting trivia note: The Oilers and Flames have never been involved in a direct player for player deal. (I think they swapped draft picks once). But, lots of players have played for both teams.
Yeah, that was a great rivalry back in the day. I miss those playoffs series back in the 80s and early 90s.

Oh no... not a St. Louis Blues swimsuit issue... no one wants to see that... except chizip.

I wouldn't be surprised if Belfour's tasted the nose candy.

There was a rumor going around that Forsberg (when he took last season off) was really in rehab for cocaine, but I didn't believe it, then or now.

That would also explain why he likes 35 bouts of rubber pounding him at 100 miles/hour... hmmm.... that just didn't sound right.

Michael Griffiths said:
My last girlfriend was from California, and she didn't even know what a touque was! I had to explain it was sort of like a Beanie hat, but not really.

I've been trying to find a pattern forever...to knit one a la Jacques, but no one knows what I'm talking about either. :|

"You mean like, a regular snowhat?"

"No...not really...smaller. Forget it."

I did find a Canadian one on the Internet, but it turned out gigantic. You Canadians must have bigger heads than us Americans. It must be the clean, pure air.

Bigger heads... the better to store useless hockey trivia... we've adapted our craniums for this sole purpose.

Back
Top Bottom