NHL Offseason thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The wound is still fresh. Smyth's knife is lodged deep in my back as we speak. :mad:

Actually, I don't blame the guy. Good for him. He's a class act and a great player. He's not exactly a Long Island type, either. He looks like more a meat and potatoes guy...which I'm sure his boyfriend Sakic will give him extra helpings of every night. Fuckers. GAH! Dammit. Now I'm starving.

Wow. I wonder if Buffalo will match this offer. If they don't I pity Sabres fans. I can't recall an NHL team losing so many of it's stars in so short a time. Starting from just before the trade deadline they lost: Martin Biron, Briere, Drury, Zubrus and now, possibly, Vanek.

Oilers sign RFA Vanek to offer sheet

TSN.ca Staff with files
7/6/2007 12:17:41 PM

The Edmonton Oilers have made a huge splash in the restricted free agent pool.

Sources tell TSN that the team has signed forward Thomas Vanek to a seven-year, $50 million offer sheet, a signing that carries a price tag of four first round picks as compensation to the Buffalo Sabres if the team chooses not to retain him.

The Sabres have called a media conference for 12:30pm et/9:30am pt to address the news.

The deal would pay Vanek $5 million in the first two seasons, and $6.4 million in each of the following five seasons. The contract will also pay him a $5 million and $3 million signing bonus in the first two years.

The Sabres have seven days to match the offer or accept the picks.

Vanek, drafted fifth overall by Buffalo in 2003, made $942,000 US last season. The native of Austria finished fifth in the league in goals with 43 and 19th in points with 84 in only his second NHL campaign. In two seasons with the Sabres, Vanek has registered 68 goals and 64 assists in 163 career games.

He has also accumulated eight goals and four assists in 26 career playoff games.

The Vanek signing marks the second time in as many years that a team has tried to land another club's restricted free agent. Last year, the Philadelphia Flyers offered Ryan Kesler a $1.9 million US deal that was easily matched by the Vancouver Canucks.

It has been a tough off-season for the Sabres, who have already lost forwards Chris Drury, Daniel Briere and Dainus Zubrus, all of whom were unrestricted free agents. Drury signed a $35.25-million, five-year deal with the New York Rangers, Briere signed a $52-million, eight-year contract with Philadelphia while the New Jersey Devils signed Zubrus to a $20.4-million, six-year deal.

Last edited:
Who else is gonna do it? Everyone else left or was bought out. Satan maybe, but he's not exactly the beacon of dedication and hard work that Ted Nolan wants as a Captain. Sillinger and Witt just aren't "great" enough to be a Captain, but they'll probably be given A's. I think it's weird that they gave to to Guerin so quick, but given the alternatives, probably wasn't a hard choice.

I guess Peca isn't coming back. :(

DiPietro probably won't even notice that the team changed until 2010. He's a dope.

"Rick, you were on fire tonight. What drove your performance?"
"Well, I did it for the fans....YEAAAHHH!"
:uhoh:

14 more years. :happy:

I used to like the Nordiques. They had a cool name. I also miss the Hartford Whalers. I think it's ludicrous to have a hockey team in Phoenix. That's just ridiculous. :tsk:

I think Manitoba should get a team. And Saskathcewan (sic). And the territories up there. They should put a team right on the fucking edge there, in the Arctic Circle. And make them play the Rangers a lot.

Yeah, I dunno why the talk is of trying to drop a franchise into Hamilton, ON. Ontario is an oversaturated market already. They have to get a franchise back into a small market Canadian city.

The only thing I didn't like about the Hartford Whalers was their name. I mean, a whaler is someone who kills whales! Does it get any lower than killing whales? I'm glad they're are at least the Hurricanes now.

MrPryck2U said:
The only thing I didn't like about the Hartford Whalers was their name. I mean, a whaler is someone who kills whales! Does it get any lower than killing whales? I'm glad they're are at least the Hurricanes now.

Indeed. Naming the team after a natural disaster that causes death and destruction is much better.:happy:

:wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom