NHL: Lets make a deal - Page 7 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-03-2003, 09:18 PM   #91
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 04:15 PM
Canada's best chance for a cup??? Keep in mind, the reason they've been past the first round a couple times is because it's the Eastern Conference. Pretty much everyone knows the Canucks are a better team, and if they were in the East, they would feast (like that rhyme?). Conversely, if Toronto played in the West, they would rest (admittedly not as good as the first rhyme).

Old 06-03-2003, 09:26 PM   #92
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:15 AM
Toronto used to be in the West... in their first season in the Eastern Conference, they had the best record against the Western Conference of ANY team.

The Leafs are now hitting a valley in terms of success... but I was talking about before this year (if you had read what I said). If you hail the Sens so highly, then wouldn't T.O. be even higher? They've disposed of them with ease every year... and even swept OTT.

The only team they didn't beat consistently was the Devils... and NJ has been a contender each year... winning on a few occassions. The Leafs WERE definitely better than the Canucks and Sens... I used to watch Toronto religiously, and believe me I know that they could have handled a Western team in the Final just as well as an Ottawa or New Jersey. You don't even watch the Eastern Conference... and your record for picking teams just goes to show your incompetency.

Keep on rhyming... because it might come in handy in the next few days.

Old 06-03-2003, 09:28 PM   #93
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Your memory seems to be very short term... consisting of only Canuck fantasies, and Wayne Gretzky Champagne dreams. Michael Griffiths: Lifestyles of the Ignoramus.

You've been jerseyed again,
what will you do my friend?
uppercut, hook, or jab?...
or a reply full of blab?

The latter, most definitely!
Old 06-03-2003, 09:34 PM   #94
Rock n' Roll Doggie

And your record of picking teams is better??? And how would you know if I watch the Eastern Conference or not? In fact, I've told you recently my friend loves the Leafs, and I have in fact watched them quite a few times this past year (with or without him, I might add)...or did you think I was lying and dismissed it automatically?

And you think Toronto has hit a "valley"? If losing 6-0 in game 7 and having a team personnel implosion is hitting a "valley", I'd hate to think what going down hill or hitting a crater would be. I'd hate to be the one to try and get that locker room back on the same page after the fallout of this season.
Old 06-03-2003, 09:36 PM   #95
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

To get away from the bickering for a second, I forgot to mention Bob Gainey's appointment as GM of the Montreal Canadiens... Andre Savard has graciously stepped aside, to stay on as assistant GM.

Good move by the Habs... I thought for sure the Leafs would get him under contract though.

Hopefully Bob can work under the constraints of a budget... unlike the oodles of dough he had under Tom "I signed A-rod" Hicks.

Good Luck Habs
Old 06-03-2003, 09:39 PM   #96
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Yes, finally the Habs do something to save their storied franchise. For once I agree with you: great move to get Gainey.
Old 06-03-2003, 09:40 PM   #97
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Griffiths
And you think Toronto has hit a "valley"? If losing 6-0 in game 7 and having a team personnel implosion is hitting a "valley", I'd hate to think what going down hill or hitting a crater would be. I'd hate to be the one to try and get that locker room back on the same page after the fallout of this season.
By valley I meant hard times... as in they probably won't return to form (Canada's team) for quite a few years. They played like crap the past season... but like I say, they WERE Canada's team prior to this season. Now it's between the Canucks and the Sens... but not for long.

PS- I did assume... hmm, that makes me and ass... and Michael a...

Help me out on this one.

PSS- My record of picking teams is a lot better... in my hockey pool I picked New Jersey and Ottawa in the East (NJ winning)... The West was screwed up though... after DET lost I was bang on the rest of the way.

Touché.
Old 06-03-2003, 09:46 PM   #98
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I was referring to the teams you *wanted* to win (ie, the Leafs, or in my case, the Canucks). In anycase, the point that you've conveniently drifted away from is that it doesn't matter if the Leafs did reasonably well in the playoffs until this year. Most people in the West would rather root for the Oilers or the Canucks (regardless of how well they do) than the Leafs. The Leafs would have to make it to the 7th game of the finals before the whole country would start cheering. See, there you go: the Sens have them beat by an entire round!
Old 06-03-2003, 11:06 PM   #99
New Yorker

Local Time: 09:15 AM
Quote:
Oh, if you only knew AvsGirl! The problem with this forum is, everyone lives so faraway from me.
Oh, Michael.
Old 06-04-2003, 01:07 AM   #100
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
The Leafs would have to make it to the 7th game of the finals before the whole country would start cheering. See, there you go: the Sens have them beat by an entire round!
There's no doubt that a lot of the country has a grudge against the Leafs and their success... but I think our definition of Canada's team is different. I see it as the team that best represents "us"... and most logically that would be the team that wins consistently. Two Conference Finals in 4 years ain't bad... until Vancouver and Ottawa can move further, or be playoff performers year after year... I think that the "title" is up for grabs.

Usually though, most civil Canadian hockey fans (what? they exist?) will root for the Leafs if they are the last Canadian playoff team around. Which has been the case for quite sometime... maybe a changing of the guard is in order?
Old 06-04-2003, 07:04 AM   #101
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:15 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by cujo
PSS- Zoney, stop eyeing me... your KINKiness is not flattering in the least. Disperse.
Stop hiding behind the screen, oz.
Old 06-04-2003, 03:44 PM   #102
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Just don't call me the Whiz.
Old 06-07-2003, 08:50 PM   #103
Acrobat

about the habs...is there any truth to the rumour that they're looking to trade koivu? I've heard this on the radio a couple times...
Old 06-08-2003, 01:07 AM   #104
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Haven't heard anything there...

J.D on HNIC Hot Stove was talking about Bowman coming out of retirement to Coach the Rangez... and Jagr. Yikes... they might actually have a team next year.

Hasek coming out of retirement? Boo. His skills were definitely declining... and it's sad to see "great" players come back to less than par for the course (see Michael Jordan and Guy Lafleur).
Old 06-08-2003, 12:36 PM   #105
Blue Crack Distributor

Yeah. I'm sorry, but when you say you're going to retire, just freaking stick with it.