NHL: Lets make a deal - Page 17 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-30-2003, 05:04 PM   #241
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:38 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Griffiths
What if Cujo *wanted* to go to Colorado? Remember, he has the no trade clause...and therefore the power

Not only that, but I think they owe him that much at least (to consider his preferences), given how poorly they've treated him in this situation.
id say paying his salary and putting him in the minors is about a good option to detroit as shipping him to their rival-either of them. thats an exaggeration but running the risk of proivding the solution to their rivals goaltending woes is too much to take.

clarke has greater incentive to get him than either vancouver or colorado anyway. i dont think cujo neccessarily enjoyed playing in haseks shadow this season. though roy didn't have nearly the exit season hasek did, going to colorado is a non-option.

he wanted philly before he signed with toronto..i think thats where he'll end up

Old 06-30-2003, 05:27 PM   #242
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:38 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by kobayashi
id say paying his salary and putting him in the minors is about a good option to detroit as shipping him to their rival-either of them. thats an exaggeration but running the risk of proivding the solution to their rivals goaltending woes is too much to take.

clarke has greater incentive to get him than either vancouver or colorado anyway. i dont think cujo neccessarily enjoyed playing in haseks shadow this season. though roy didn't have nearly the exit season hasek did, going to colorado is a non-option.

he wanted philly before he signed with toronto..i think thats where he'll end up
I agree. But, if Jagr signs with the Broadway Blue Shirts... New York's situation might be tempting as well.

It's either Philly or NY.

As a fan, I must admit it would be cool for him to return to Canada... even if it would be with the Canucks. But it's not going to happen.

Kobayashi is right. For once.

Old 06-30-2003, 05:35 PM   #243
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by cujo

Kobayashi is right. For once.

its about time, eh?
Old 06-30-2003, 05:37 PM   #244
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Yes.

Yes it is.

Based on trades and such so far... who do you guys think is best equipped to win the cup next year.

Your predictions are legally binding.

And final.
Old 06-30-2003, 05:48 PM   #245
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

1. senators
2. wings (with hasek, yzerman and federov)
3. new jersey
4. the rest probably in this order: avs, canucks, flyers (with some goalie of substance whether its cujo, hackett etc.), leafs, NYR, st louis, and theres probably a few contender/pretenders that im forgetting.
Old 06-30-2003, 05:55 PM   #246
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Do you think the Senators have been motivated by the passing of Roger Neilson, or do you think it has any bearing on their performance next season?
Old 06-30-2003, 05:55 PM   #247
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 05:38 AM
Can I just say this?

Fedorov -

I don't think I'm in the minority of Wings fans who feel this way about #91.

Back to your regularly scheduled thread.
Old 06-30-2003, 05:56 PM   #248
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Do you think the Senators have been motivated by the passing of Roger Neilson, or do you think it has any bearing on their performance next season?

I think that would be an awesome tribute if they won it for him next season.

Unless we win it.
Old 06-30-2003, 06:00 PM   #249
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I love Fedorov.

He's my sugar daddy.

Wait, he's yours too?... sheesh, if only he could score more often ON the ice.
Old 06-30-2003, 06:03 PM   #250
Blue Crack Distributor

Shhhh! I told you never to tell anybody that!!!
Old 06-30-2003, 06:11 PM   #251
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 10:38 AM
Quote:
Yes.

Yes it is.

Based on trades and such so far... who do you guys think is best equipped to win the cup next year.

Your predictions are legally binding.

And final.
"Best equipped" is different than who I think is going to win, as some teams have a miserable time in the playoffs regardless of potential *cough*Ottawa*cough...that said, here you go:

1. Ottawa - they're still young, but now have much more experience after going quite far this playoffs...Spezza will be more of a force, too.

2. Detroit - with Hasek returning, and if they sign Fedorov, they are still the most talented group in the game...and with all that experience...

3. Vancouver - assuming of course they get a decent 2nd line centre (Prospel? Whitney?) to take the pressure off the Morrison line. The twins are about to come into their own...and young Branden Reid will add fire to the mix. Their payroll has increased to 41 million from 36 million last season. Burke has been quoted as saying now is the time to go for [a Cup], not 5 years from now. This tells me the off season will be quite interesting in Van City.

4. Colorado - if they get Cujo or someone as good, they will continue to be a big time threat. Forsberg hasn't left. Sakic hasn't left. Hejduk hasn't left. Blake hasn't left. They are still a force.

I don't like Philly or NJ...so let's not talke about them
Old 06-30-2003, 07:21 PM   #252
Rock n' Roll Doggie

So, it turns out that Kariya could become an unrestricted free agent by midnight, tonight, if Anaheim doesn't make a qualifying offer (they want him to take a paycut). Do you all know what this means? Kariya is coming home, back to Vancouver! Haha, talk about taking pressure off the #1 line! Can you imagine that powerplay? Bertuzzi, Naslund, Kariya, Jovo, and Ohlund??? This would be amazing if it happened.

Oh, and Detroit has exercised the option on Hasek's contract. This is the first step in signing him, as it prevents him from becoming an unrestricted free agent.
Old 06-30-2003, 07:30 PM   #253
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

detroit doesnt have to sign hasek. they just have to pick up the club option on him. they can refuse to pick up the option and then he would be a free agent...i think. i cant remember when the deadline is for that tho.

isn't kariya restricted? he'd cost anyone signing him a bunch of draft picks right?
Old 06-30-2003, 07:43 PM   #254
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Re: Hasek, yes, he would have become unrestricted by midnight tonight if they had not picked up the club option.

Re: Kariya, he would be an unrestristred free agent should Anaheim fail to give him a qualifying offer. The deadline is also midnight, tonight.

This is according to both sportsnet and tsn. Here's TSN's article (the Kariya component is in bold at the end):

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=45889&hubName=nhl

Ducks decline option, cut Oates loose

TSN.ca Staff

6/30/2003

TSN.CA - Fresh off an appearance in last season's Stanley Cup Final, the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim are facing some difficult budget choices, and have started making some hard decisions.

TSN has learned that the Ducks have declined to pick up the option they held on Adam Oates' contract, making the veteran centre an unrestricted free agent. Oates, who will turn 41 in late July, was scheduled to make $3.5 million in the upcoming season.

Anaheim G.M. Bryan Murray had earlier offered Oates $2.2 million, but that offer was rejected.

Last season, Oates had nine goals and 45 points in 67 games with the Ducks. He added four goals and 13 points in 21 playoff games and was one of the team's top producers as Anaheim reached the Stanley Cup Final.

In 1,277 NHL games, Oates has 339 goals and 1,402 points.

The most pressing issue for the Ducks regards captain Paul Kariya, and the question of whether or not to give him a qualifying offer. Murray has spoken with Karyia's agent Don Baizley about a multi-year deal at a much lower salary than the $10 million the winger has been making for the last several seasons.

In order to retain Kariya's rights, Anaheim would have to submit a qualifying offer by midnight tonight of $10 million. If it doesn't, Kariya would become an unrestricted free agent.

Last season, Kariya scored 25 goals and 81 points in 82 games. He scored six goals and 12 points in the Ducks' playoff run.

Kariya has played 606 NHL games, scoring 300 goals and 669 points. The fourth overall pick in 1993, Kariya has played his entire career with the Ducks.
Old 06-30-2003, 08:13 PM   #255
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

thanks MG
for the ducks, those numbers dont make sense. hes a good player, with ok numbers and a lot of potential upside though. too bad they wont get anything for him if they cant get a deal done, but he did help them through a playoff run...though he wasnt as good as he could be until game 6 really.

do you think game 6 will land him another big contract in spite of his mediocre numbers?