NHL: Lets make a deal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
calgary eh? thats peculiar. tell sather to watch over his shoulder.

cujo said:

Well if they don't have either of them under heavy contracts with long-term obligations... you could assume that it wouldn't be a burden to lose them.

maybe if they're about to miss the playoffs or they sorely need a goalie at the trade deadline. otherwise i dont see them leaving.

Re: calgary eh? thats peculiar. tell sather to watch over his shoulder.

kobayashi said:
maybe if they're about to miss the playoffs or they sorely need a goalie at the trade deadline. otherwise i dont see them leaving.

Well it is just my opinion. For some reason I think they are trade bait... Colorado won't go into next season with an as-of-yet untested prospect. It is still a city of "win now or else"... and if you remember they almost didn't make the playoffs a few years back because of shotty goaltending. Only the acquisition of Ray Bourque, and to a lesser extent Dave Andreychuk, was able to give the team enough life to catch up to the Oilers and claim the division.

I'm sorry if that offends you Avsgirl... must be my cujocentrism.

:down:

Oh yes, and the Rangers picked Calgary as their site of training because a few of their trainers went to the U of C... and I guess the team liked the facility. Of course, they also wanted to experience my world classiness (in hospitality and skate sharpening).

:sexywink:

So the big question of the day is...

Who is Ray Whitney going to sign with???

*please sign with Vancouver, please sign with Vancouver, please sign...*

He has said he'd love to play for Vancouver, but a rumour is going around that Detroit is interested. Plus, Brian Burke has no money left for free agents now that he's spent it all on re-signing his own players. Hockey wise, it's frustrating being in a small market!

cujo said:
Oh yes, and the Rangers picked Calgary as their site of training because a few of their trainers went to the U of C... and I guess the team liked the facility. Of course, they also wanted to experience my world classiness (in hospitality and skate sharpening).

:sexywink:
Oh, I saw Iginla on sportsnet talking about the golf tourny. He seems quite anamoured with Wayne, himself :sexywink:

About that world classiness...

Re: Re: calgary eh? thats peculiar. tell sather to watch over his shoulder.

cujo said:

Well it is just my opinion. For some reason I think they are trade bait... Colorado won't go into next season with an as-of-yet untested prospect. It is still a city of "win now or else"... and if you remember they almost didn't make the playoffs a few years back because of shotty goaltending. Only the acquisition of Ray Bourque, and to a lesser extent Dave Andreychuk, was able to give the team enough life to catch up to the Oilers and claim the division.

I'm sorry if that offends you Avsgirl... must be my cujocentrism.

:down:

I'm not offended.

Anyway, I disagree. I would have agreed with you earlier when the deal was first made, but now everything seems to point to Aebischer starting the season. The team is 100% behind him.

If a deal is made, it will be in mid season and I don't think it will involve Kariya or Selanne. It'll involve young forwards--not that there's many left. I don't think Kariya or Selanne would have signed if there was even a hint of a trade. They will stay and play out their year.

Plus, he has yet to resign Tanguay and if he doesn't pull his head out of his ass, he's going to have a hole in the second line. You can't spell AMP line without Alex. He's going to need all the big name firepower he can get.

Well, it's official: Ray Whitney will not be signing with the Vancuver Canucks this year as a free agent. He just signed with Detroit for dirt cheap -- 13 mill over 4 years. I find it odd that Brian Burke didn't go after this guy. He would have given the Canucks exactly what they needed -- a decent 2nd line to take pressure off Nazzy, Tuzzy, and Mo. Further, he even *wanted* to come to Vancouver! Brian Burke: International Man of Mystery.

it has been recommended by czech detectives that hasek be charged with assault.
prosecutors make the final decision as to whether or not to actually press charges. but if they do, i dont imagine the situation will be resolved (ie. hasek absolved of guilt via a trial, or hasek recieving a minor sentence) by the time hockey gets going. i am of course assuming a czech trial would run similar to one in the north america.
what the hell would the wings do then? holland says he has offers for cujo on the table and is pursuing them.
does anyone know if its remotely likely hasek will have to go home to serve time?

Doubtful.

Hasek has already had his brush with North American "Justice" when he was charged with a D.U.I... not much to show for it. I think he also got a speeding ticket on the way to a hockey game.

This crime is more serious, but the rules for celebrities... especially those for a national hero always seem to be relaxed. He's got the money to settle out of court at least, however if it is prosecution from the state instead of the "victim"... then who knows.

D.U.I... community service and a slap on the wrist.

Speeding Ticket... $75.

Celebrity being charged with assault... small jail sentence.

Dropping the soap without covering the five-hole... priceless.

:up:

The Blues went to arbitration with Pavol Demitra... he was "awarded" a 1 year 6.5 mill contract.

Not bad.

Training camp! :hyper: I'll be spending lots of time at the practice rink, I hope...

I think Tanguay needs to go to arbitration. Lacroix is really trying to screw him over.... :down:

Last edited:
I was watching "The Score" tonight and it said that Lanny "The Stash" McDonald might become the new GM for the Leafs.

Gotta love the handlebar stash!

They've also suggested Neil Smith.

That ignoramus couldn't draft his way out of a pair of tear-away pants. His winning formula is from the same philosophy that has seen success for Pierre Lacroix... throw money at big name players who have championship experience. I'll take jobs that a hamster could do for 2000.

His legacy with the Rangers is a resum? fit for the paper shredder.

...read...the...whole...thing...

and didn't understand +5 words :p

the question is WHY. and i don't have an answer.

Nice. :up:

Anson Carter re-signed with the Rangers.

But who cares about the Rangers?

cujo said:

who cares about the Rangers?

We're a sad state of affairs now, yes, but Rangers fans will have something to cheer for this year. And then the advantage we've squandered will be lost forever once the CBA expires and there is a cap.

no disk said:
We're a sad state of affairs now, yes, but Rangers fans will have something to cheer for this year. And then the advantage we've squandered will be lost forever once the CBA expires and there is a cap.

Who knows... I might be cheering for them next year.

Tool I am Mr. Grimm.

The Detroit Red Wings Goaltender Soap Opera ensues...

Today it was leaked that Curtis is going to be out of action for the next 6 weeks due to an ankle injury. This means he'll miss maybe the first week of the season, and in so doing causing more conflicts in trade talks. Any sort of "showcasing" that may be required to attract a team (which is ridiculous considering his tenure in the league) may be hindered by his injury... but it'll be interesting to see how Hasek reacts... as Joseph is fighting for his job. In the past, he has been a successful underdog.

The Canucks signed G Johan Hedberg... be interesting to see how the number one situation develops.

The Leafs are expected to announce a new GM in the next few days.

Anyone up for a hockey pool?

Or do you dare challenge me?

Pinball W. - Yeah, I like the goalie pick up for Vancouver. Hedberg had a great run in the 2001 playoffs, making it to the conference finals if I remember. Hopefully he'll push Cloutier to be much better. Now they just have to get a 2nd line forward who can put the puck in the net. They sure missed the boat on Ray Whitney. :down:

Re: a hockey pool - that's a great idea. The Hockey News predicts Markus Naslund and Todd Bertuzzi to finish 1/2 in scoring. Talk about pressure, though they were 1/2 in goals for much of the year last season, with Naslund leading in points until almost the very end before Forsberg swept the rug out from under him. At least he made the cover of The Hockey News. Way to go Markus :up:

My top 5 scoring prediction:

1. Markus Naslund
2. Peter Forsberg
3. Todd Bertuzzi
4. Joe Sakic
5. Milan Hejduk

Kariya and Selanne will round out the top 10. Shit, Colorado is going to be such an offensive power house this year, with likey 5, maybe even 6 players in the top 10! Not since the Oilers of the 80s have we seen anything like that. Too bad they don't have a great goalie anymore.

Originally Posted By Michael Griffiths
Not since the Oilers of the 80s have we seen anything like that.

Oh here we go.

Too bad they don't have a great goalie anymore

Hasn't hindered their success previously.

Hedberg did go quite deep in the playoffs considering Pittsburgh's financially weak disposition... the Manitoba Moose. With a decent team in front of him, he should advance well.

Maybe the TSN Beat the Pros pool (if they're doing it again) is in order. I humiliated them last year.

Ironically, the Manitoba Moose are now the Canucks' farm team (the same team Hedberg once played for). He still wears his Moose mask, but since he's playing for the "big club" of the Moose now, he said he won't be wearing it as it would make him seem like a minor leaguer! haha Too bad, cause it was deemed the 2nd best mask in the NHL very recently. Maybe he can do something with the Orca Whale that has never been done before. We wait with baited breath...

Oh, the Oilers of the 80s comment was only referring to the 5 scorers in the top 10, nothing else. As far as offensive output, no, I don't foresee Colorado scoring 446 goals next season, as Gretz and the boys once did. They might, however, have four 100 point scorers, as the Oilers did over a course of 3 seasons. Of course, none of those scorers will reach the hights of Gretzky's 215 points, or Coffey's 138 points, or Kurri's 135 points.

john ferguson jr., the assistant to blues gm larry pleau will be the leafs gm. but everyone already knows that.

he may or may not be successful. it seems he is well equipped to deal with the pressures of the cba and salary caps. what everyone is curious about is whether he will have the power to fire and hire the coach. if christmas comes about and the leafs are on the outside of a playoff spot, can he fire quinn without reprisal? either way, leaf drama continues.

Back
Top Bottom