NHL: Lets make a deal - Page 13 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-24-2003, 06:51 PM   #181
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 09:49 AM
AvsGirl, it is true what you say about Colorado's history with free agents (for the most part, anyway), but this is a special case in that Hasek is coming out of retirement to play probably one or two more years and that's it. Given that Colorado has the budget with the retirement of Roy, and given they need a goaltender to somehow fill Roy's shoes--albeit a difficult task--who better than Hasek to meet those ends? The only sticking point, as far as I can tell, would be the point brought up of conference rivalry. But given the factors (short term contract with the CBA looming), I think it is certainly possible and not such a stretch as it would normally be.

PS. This isn't nearly heated enough!

Old 06-24-2003, 07:12 PM   #182
New Yorker

Local Time: 02:49 AM
It *is* the kind of headline-grabber that Lacroix loves and would soothe the wounded Avs fans, who want to see a Star in the net.

Also, it has that short-term solution ring to it that Colorado loves. Why bring up Aebischer when you can slap on a Hasek Band-Aid for 2 years? (I guess a long-term solution is dumb to even bring up when it comes to hockey! There's no such thing!)

But, the rivalry and the fact that it wouldn't cost Colorado any young players means it wouldn't happen. Signing a free agent just doesn't have that look-what-we-pulled-of sparkle that the front office likes. Lacroix swears he won't sign a free agent and he'll stick to that, no matter who is on the market.

Old 06-24-2003, 09:19 PM   #183
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 03:49 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Griffiths
blahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblah

PS. This isn't nearly heated enough!

Old 06-24-2003, 10:54 PM   #184
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Old 06-24-2003, 11:10 PM   #185
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Lilly is by far the best poster in this sub-forum.

And Michael, it's NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. There will not be any Detroit goalies going to Colorado. Period. Move on... oh no. Have you become fixated?

Do we need to have a "group" talk about this?

Old 06-25-2003, 12:31 AM   #186
Refugee

Hasek to return to hockey...and other tidbits

-Dominic Hasek will be making a press anouncement later this week regarding the rumors of his return to the NHL for one more year. Detroit Red Wings have the rights to him.

-New Jersey Devils camp are said to be in the process of their first MAJOR free agent signing. Who could it be? Federov? Sydor? Arnott? Satan? Hatcher? Hmmmm.....

-Jaromir Jagr is said to be traded to the Rangers for Eric Lindros

-Colorado Avalanche the fore-runner to pick up breakthrough goalie JS Giguere...awww...no more Mighty F*cks. LOL

-Philadelphia Flyers look to replace Roman Cechmanek with Tampa Bay Lightning Goaltender Nikolai Khabibulin.

-Former Devils Coach Larry Robinson(won cup in 00) now on Special Teams Coaching with the Devils, to make an announcement tomorrow of whether he will take the offered Rangers coaching job or not.

-Mark Messier possibly to FINALLY retire!?!? About dang time after 23 years. Sheesh!

-Montreal Goaltender Theodore possible to not return with drug connections in family?
-

-
Old 06-25-2003, 12:38 AM   #187
New Yorker

Ugh. To hear my most hated adversary, Mike Evans, Hasek has already been signed and will be in net come fall.

I long to take that man on the ice and beat some sense into him.

Why can't *I* get paid for that? I could do no worse.
Old 06-25-2003, 12:46 AM   #188
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by cujo
Lilly is by far the best poster in this sub-forum.

And Michael, it's NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. There will not be any Detroit goalies going to Colorado. Period. Move on... oh no. Have you become fixated?

Do we need to have a "group" talk about this?

Yes, you're probably right - it will likely not happen...but I was simply presenting a possibility which I believe exists and shouldn't simply be dismissed.

PS. Who would be in this group?
Old 06-25-2003, 12:48 AM   #189
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by AvsGirl41
Ugh. To hear my most hated adversary, Mike Evans, Hasek has already been signed and will be in net come fall.

I long to take that man on the ice and beat some sense into him.

Why can't *I* get paid for that? I could do no worse.
You could instead take out your frustrations by beating some sense into me.
Old 06-25-2003, 08:59 AM   #190
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:49 AM
i did something weird to this thread. i should retire as a mod.
Old 06-25-2003, 09:00 AM   #191
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:49 AM
damien cox on cujo's long hard life

from the toronto star's waymoresports.com

Quote:
Bring back Hasek? Madness in Motown
DAMIEN COX

The classy move would be for the Detroit Red Wings to honour their commitment to Curtis Joseph.

In more than one way, it would also be the smartest.

By merely admitting they are talking to Dominik Hasek, however, the Wings have undermined Joseph and his future in Motown. All those who thoughtlessly blamed Joseph for Detroit's first-round defeat to the Anaheim Mighty Ducks now have the club's tacit agreement that they were correct, and that bringing back The Dominator will ensure future success.

And so the haven that Joseph found after fleeing the dysfunctional Maple Leaf family may, after all is said and done, prove not to be a haven at all.

Yes, this could get messy. It's easy, for example, to envision a situation in which the Wings try to force Joseph to agree to a trade by any number of means, including sending him to the minors or anchoring him to the Detroit bench.

But here's why keeping Joseph ahead of Hasek makes the most sense for the Wings.

First, the Keswick Kid has two years left on his contract with a no-trade clause attached.

Hasek, by contrast, has a one-year option without a no-trade component.

In this climate, it seems certain Hasek's contract would make him easier to move than Joseph.

Second, Hasek will turn 39 in January, and after missing the entire 2002-03 season other than getting into an ugly roller hockey scrap in the Czech Republic, his ability to come back and play at the same level that helped the Wings capture the 2002 Stanley Cup has to be at least uncertain, if not downright questionable.

Joseph has never won a Cup or a Vezina, but he is without question one of the NHL's top 10 goalies. It was the inability of his Detroit teammates to score, not his netminding, that was behind the club's first-round ouster.

The Wings could exercise their option on Hasek and then, without his consent, trade him to Philly or the Rangers Colorado is definitely out and reap significant returns. The Flyers might cough up Simon Gagne, the Rangers might surrender Anson Carter.

Joseph's contract, by comparison, would be tougher to swallow for most teams and, his marquee reputation being less than that of Hasek, he isn't likely to bring as handsome returns as the Czech.

For Joseph, it's the latest of many episodes during his successful career in which he has found respect to be either fleeting or entirely outside his grasp.

In St. Louis, he was bluntly dismissed as a worthy NHL goaltender by New Jersey GM Lou Lamoriello when the Devils were seeking compensation for the Blues' signing of winger Brendan Shanahan. Ultimately, Joseph was all but run out of Missouri by Mike Keenan eight years ago.

Moved to Edmonton, he ended up playing a chunk of the season in Las Vegas because the Oilers didn't like his contract demands. As a free agent in 1998, Philadelphia GM Bob Clarke decided John Vanbiesbrouck was both superior and more affordable and passed on Joseph, who landed with the Leafs.

In February of 2002, he was dumped as Team Canada's No.1 goalie after one game, a loss to Sweden, and didn't appear again as Canada won the gold with Martin Brodeur.

Joseph's own coach with the Leafs, Pat Quinn, was the man who made that decision, poisoning the waters between the club and the player.

After Quinn secured his own new contract and gave one to Mats Sundin, Joseph was left to play out his contract. Last July, while the Leafs were telling Joseph they were still negotiating with him, they had already signed Ed Belfour.

Now this. Geez, a guy could get a complex after a while.

Hasek pushed Chris Osgood all the way to Long Island when he arrived, and the politics of the Motown hockey situation may dictate that the Wings will have little choice but to install him again in place of Joseph.

That doesn't make it right. It also doesn't make it smart.
Old 06-25-2003, 11:47 AM   #192
New Yorker

Re: Hasek to return to hockey...and other tidbits

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Fan101
-Dominic Hasek will be making a press anouncement later this week regarding the rumors of his return to the NHL for one more year. Detroit Red Wings have the rights to him.

-Colorado Avalanche the fore-runner to pick up breakthrough goalie JS Giguere...awww...no more Mighty F*cks. LOL
Not true!

We are most definitely not the fore-runner to pick up Giguere.

Khabibulin is the only name I've heard tossed around and only by the newspapers.
Old 06-25-2003, 11:48 AM   #193
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Griffiths

You could instead take out your frustrations by beating some sense into me.

Mike Evans and I go way back though. He has this coming.

But I'll keep you in mind.
Old 06-25-2003, 02:41 PM   #194
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Then I guess I'll have to play second fiddle to Mr. Evans.

...on a bed of nails she makes me wait...
Old 06-25-2003, 05:04 PM   #195
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

The Score has confirmed that the Rangers and Capitals have agreed in principle to the following trade:

Jaromir Jagr for 3 Rangers Skaters: Petr Nedved, Matthew Barnaby, and Jamie Lundmark.

PS- there is no proof whatsoever that Jose Theodore was involved in the drug ring that has implicated his uncle and several other family members.

Please don't post character attacks that are merely a fabrication of the media.

That's my job.