NHL: Lets make a deal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I agree with everything you just said Michael.

I too am an obnoxious bastard.

:up:

It's always the same teams mentioned.

It's either NYR, STL, or BOS.

I've been hoping for St. Louis... that seems to be the best situation. Weight for Joseph.

Lilly said:
i miss hockey so much.

I hope I can fill the void.
I'm a free agent now, free to roam the market.
Care to make me an offer?

cujo
High Class Jackass.

The Av's will definitely win the Stanley Cup no question now that we got Kariya and Selanne... As long as we get a new goalie. Aebishcer throws to many fits when he lets in a goal.

cujo said:

I hope I can fill the void.
I'm a free agent now, free to roam the market.
Care to make me an offer?

cujo
High Class Jackass.

nothing will ever completely fill the hockey shaped hole inside of me.
i'm no market i'm a woman
it's you who should make offers to me
middle class jackass

lilly
high class operations manager

How to woo a high class operations manager?

I guess I'll have to present my portfolio.

Check it out.

I think my offer stands well above the table.

Permission to hit me with an Encyclopedia... granted.

cujo
the bludgeoned bombshell.

:sexywink:

nick_u2 said:
The Av's will definitely win the Stanley Cup no question now that we got Kariya and Selanne... As long as we get a new goalie. Aebishcer throws to many fits when he lets in a goal.

Riiiiiiiiiiight.

PS- all goalies do that :up:. Especially the returning butt monkey Has-been.

cujo said:
It's always the same teams mentioned.

It's either NYR, STL, or BOS.

I've been hoping for St. Louis... that seems to be the best situation. Weight for Joseph.
If St. Louis lands him, don't be surprised to see a deal involving the Canucks and Chris WasGood. They're in the market for a decent backup (isn't that right, Chiz?) :sexywink:

That just might happen Mikey.

Perish the thought I might cheer for the Blues next season.

:no:

Who knows... maybe it'll be the Rangers.

And then everyone will hate me!!!

mwhahahaha
hahaha

oh wait, isn't that how it is now?

Damn.

Vancouver bound I am then

move over Mike, there's only room for one of us manwhores in Vancougar.

:eyebrow:

Ah, don't worry Cuj - there's plenty of room...the ocean is full of fish out here on the West Coast. They're signing up fast and furious as we speak...er, type.

It would be nice to see Cujo come to Vancouver, but you'll never see it happen with Burke as GM. He totally denounced it a couple days ago...even saying he wasn't a fan of Cujo (if I understood it correctly, but I only caught the tail end of the interview, so who knows...).

PS. I know exactly what it's like to cheer for the Rangers. If you remember, Gretz played there. It's actually not too bad. Just prepare yourself for a lot of losing, and once you get past that, you'll be fine.

Brian Burke can't even keep his own players in check... and I think that if he had the choice and the finances, he would try to go after Curtis. But, by denouncing him in the media (if that's what he did) he puts the fans at ease by making them think "oh well, we didn't want him anyway..."

The oldest GM tactic in the book :down:

Blues express interest in Joseph, Fedorov

By DERRICK GOOLD Post-Dispatch

Dominik Hasek announced his return to Detroit from a year of retirement on Tuesday, ushering current Red Wings goaltender Curtis Joseph to the trade block while the Blues continue to keep tabs on the market for possibilities.

Possibilities that do not currently fit into the Blues' fiscal prudence but could work in combination with other cost-cutting moves.

The Blues have spoken with Detroit about trading for Joseph, who began his career as a Blue, and they have phoned unrestricted free agent Sergei Fedorov's representative to inquire about the former league MVP. Both make or are expected to make hefty salaries.

General manager Larry Pleau must remove a payroll dollar for every dollar he adds, but he has explored various opportunities like Fedorov in case one roster move frees the cash for a signing that today looks too costly.

"We're taking a look at a lot of different things," said Pleau, without commenting on specifics. "We're trying to explore anything out there that would improve our team. What's out there that would make us better."

Joseph, 36, has a no-trade clause and is due $16 million over the two seasons remaining on his contract. Joseph's agent, Don Meehan, said the no-trade clause "is what it says it is." The Blues, a source said, are one of the few teams Joseph would consider.

Speculation in Detroit centers on the Blues offering Doug Weight, but Weight also has a no-trade clause. Reports the Blues were interested in moving Weight at the recent NHL draft were fiction, and the Blues have not contacted Weight or Weight's agent about a move.

Fedorov's agent, Pat Brisson, also represents Blues goalie Brent Johnson and defenseman Christian Laflamme. But it was a separate call from Pleau that concerned Fedorov. The 33-year-old center, two years older than Weight, turned down a couple deals worth $10 million annually with Detroit. Brisson said he and Fedorov are "narrowing the field" of teams to consider. He would not say if the Blues, who could be skittish about a multiyear deal, are in the final field.

"Sergei will get his multiyear deal," Brisson said.

Though the Blues are intent on altering the look of the team while trimming or clinging to the current payroll, ownership has indicated cash would be available for a deal too good to pass up. Also a creative combination of acquisitions and trades could fit new faces into the budget.

Decisions will not be swayed by the headline-grabbing deals made by rivals Colorado and Detroit.

"We can't start counter-punching like that," Blues president Mark Sauer said. "We have to do what's best for the franchise. We're losing a lot of money. (Pleau) has the authority and he has the plan to shape a different roster, a roster where we get younger and maybe less expensive."

The Red Wings hold an $8 million option on Hasek. The seven-time Vezina winner does not have a no-trade clause and Detroit has not said it will definitely move Joseph. Indications are that Joseph will be traded, preferably to the Eastern Conference - and that the New York Rangers top a list that includes the Blues.

"Ideally, as quick as possible I'd like to get a goaltender moved," Detroit general manager Ken Holland said. "That's easier said that done in the current financial environment. Both are very well paid, and I'm going to have to try and be creative with some other team to put something together."

Hasek, who retired after winning the 2002 Stanley Cup in his only season with Detroit, said his "desire is to play for the Detroit Red Wings. That's my goal and nothing else." Watching and reading about the playoffs kindled his interest in a return.

"I now feel that I have achieved a better balance in my life and I have more to offer the game," Hasek said. "My batteries are recharged."

While exploring moves and moves to make after moves, Pleau remains focused on re-signing restricted free agentssuch as Pavol Demitra and Bryce Salvador. Winger Martin Rucinsky is drifting away from a return to the Blues after the team did not exercise his option. His representative said they seriously talking with one team, and it isn't the Blues.

"It would be hard to walk into a dressing room with a pay cut or onto a team after an option was not exercised," Rucinsky's rep, Paul Kraus, said. "That's an option that right now is uncomfortable with my client."

by the way, fans here would want to run our GM out of town if he traded weight for cujo (cu-choke)

Good point. I know how Blues fans are partial to losing, so keep up that annual tradition.

cujo said:

Put that in your pipe Kobe!

maybe theres something im missing.

i dont see whats wrong with him returning. im sure cujo considered it a possibility when he explicitly chose the wings as his new home.

Red Ships of Scalla-Festa said:

am i the only one who thinks buffalo is starting to look like a much better team since last years trade deadline?

they do look better. i cant remember what the deal was but losing varada late last year wont help them. the north east division could be quite competitive this year with the Sens, the Leafs and Bruins likely playoff teams, and Sabres and Habs close to it.

Haha, beginning of October. :up:

And Kobe how could you even think that Hasek's return entered into any of the free agent goalie discussions Detroit had last year? If there was a possibility for his return, the Wings wouldn't have gone after such a high-priced goalie in the first place. This situation is simply a mess of shit. I don't see how any involved will come out clean.

There are a great deal of things you seem to be missing in this situation. Are you a member of the media?... no disrespect intended. Seriously.

So now there are rumblings that Patrick Roy is coming back. Can you imagine the powerhouse in Colorado if he does? They would likely just hand Colorado the Cup at the start of the season, and allow everyone to play for fun.

Here's the story:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/article.jsp?content=20030711_110456_3532

Roy return still a possibility

Maybe Teemu and Paul can convince Patrick to play one more year.

Just because Patrick Roy has filed his retirement papers with the NHL, doesn't mean we won't see him suit up with the Colorado Avalanche next season.

As the Detroit News reports on Friday, league rules do allow for a "voluntarily retired" player to return without sitting out a year. However, he would need written consent from the Avs as well as every other NHL team to allow him to come back.

Would the 29 teams in the league cooperate? That is what many fans are wondering.

Roy announced on May 28 that he was retiring from hockey after 18 years. However, speculation has grown that he may return since the Avs were able to land two superstars in Paul Kariya and Teemu Selanne by free agency.

Last week, Pierre Lacroix, Colorado's general manager and Roy's former agent, said he felt Roy's retirement decision was final.

cujo said:

And Kobe how could you even think that Hasek's return entered into any of the free agent goalie discussions Detroit had last year? If there was a possibility for his return, the Wings wouldn't have gone after such a high-priced goalie in the first place. This situation is simply a mess of shit. I don't see how any involved will come out clean.

There are a great deal of things you seem to be missing in this situation. Are you a member of the media?... no disrespect intended. Seriously.

:lol: i think i am missing something.
haseks return wasnt unforeseeable. thats all i mean. if cujo had played the way he could have all year then none of this would be an issue and hasek wouldnt be back with the team. the team certainly didnt help him out either.

i think the wings will be better for it.

i wouldnt be surprised if they did sign it. not doing so would be a really black mark on their relations with the rest of the league.

as a hockey fan i would hope all the teams would be willing to sign it. the game should be left on the ice.

This just in...

Unrestricted free agent Brad May just re-signed with the glory of the NHL, the Vancouver Canucks. He signed a 2 year, $2 million contract -- $1.1 the first year, $900, 000 the second.

It's a sickening thought that those figures seem extremely low to me now. In fact, they're bottom feader figures. Imagine being such a deprived soul of a poor hockey player making a measly pittance of a million bucks a year for something you love to do? We should all gather around and coddle him in our thoughts. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom