NHL: Lets make a deal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
AvsGirl41 said:

when Sakic and Forsberg go it will be the end of an era and probably the end of the Avs. :(

When Sakic and Forsberg go it will not be the end of the avs. They have Tanguay and Hejduk along with other young players and Piere Lacroix always brings big players to the Avs.

Some more news:

The Philadelphia Flyers have signed unrestricted free agent goalie Jeff Hacket to a two year contract. He'll be making about 3 mill per season.

Damn! I thought the Canucks were going to get him as a backup to push Cloutier.

Possible landing spots for cujo...

Down to one.

I hate the Rangers.

Messier is now owned by the Sharks. Whoopity do.

Lemieux is expected to return next season. He should trade himself... to a team of my choosing.

:up:

i dont get philly. hackett has had flashes of brilliance in the past. but he isn't much of an upgrade over cechmanek.
with khabibulin, nabokov, joseph and hackett all potentially available clarke would have been wise to wait a bit.

boston needs a goalie now i imagine. dont know if they're gonna want to pay cujo that much though or cujo would waive the clause to go there.

the real loser in all of this is ken holland-if he doesn't engineer a good trade for cujo, and i think it is now difficult with so few candidates and the must-trade tag on his player, he will have given up a good chunk of resources for a first round playoff exit.

i guess manny legace could also come out a loser.

Griffiths, you thought hackett was gonna back cloutier up @ 3 million a year? i don't think any team has a backup that expensive, let alone the canucks.

hes actually not a bad signing for 3 million i'd say. is he going to solve philly's decades long goaltending problem? i dont think so. they will be another good team whose fault is at the backend:sexywink:

same since pelle lindbergh passed and ron hextall started losing it

HACK SAW!!!

PS- kobe, I'm taking you down. Postal.

nick_u2 said:

When Sakic and Forsberg go it will not be the end of the avs. They have Tanguay and Hejduk along with other young players and Piere Lacroix always brings big players to the Avs.

Lacroix is a moron. He has tried to deal Tanguay how many times? Avs fans are lucky that Boston and Tampa Bay never took the bait. I don't trust that he won't send him packing for a goalie at some point.

We traded away Drury and Vrbata--and for what? Everyone gets so excited about his "bringing big players" that no one remembers who we gave up in return.

When Sakic and Forsberg are gone, Avs fans who slavishly worshipped Lacroix will realize that he didn't leave much to fill the holes. I mean, who's going to step up--Reinprecht? Battaglia? Hejduk (as awesome as he is) can't carry the team alone.

Do you think any East team will be devious enough to pick up Joseph, and then immediately trade him to a big Western rival of Detroit?

That would be fantastic.

I'm loving every minute of this.

My loathing of Detroit is reaching critical mass... I might explode like Michael Griffiths at a Wayne Gretzky stripping fundraiser.

:sexywink:

kariya to the canucks makes perfect sense in so many ways.

1, the canucks could pay his salary in merchanding alone.

2, he will make a good replacement for naslund who is likely to be gone after this year.

3, he adds so much depth, it might make me cry.

put him on a line with brandon reid double shift bertuzzi and youve got something nifty :sexywink:

Red Ships...

While I agree that Kariya would ignite an already high ochtane offense even further, I think the best thing for the team would be a balanced approach (which I realize isn't as exciting). What the Canucks need is help at centre (to take pressure off the first line) and even on the wing (also defense). They would be better off to get Ray Whitney (much cheaper, but very good) as their winger, and Prospal as their centre. This wouldn't cost much more than Kariya (if at all), but it's overall impact would be greater for the team itself.

But I agree - it's nice to dream, isn't it?

ochtane baby!

U2 puns are delicious... don't you love them?

hahaha.

I must say, nice point Griffiths. Ray Whitney would make a great addition... after all, he's the Oiler's former stick boy.

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
that hasek is an anchor.

Oh he's something alright... virginal ears, please leave the room. Cujo has some expletives he'd wish to utter very loudly.

Jerk.

Poo-head.

Doofus.

Northern Reticulated Vermin.

Fondue Face.

Fettucini Pants.

Phew... that's good. You can return from outside now. Some nice men are here to take me away to the nuthouse. See you in hell.

Tough to say. The numbers go to Hasek. Both are unorthodox goalies in terms of style... and both have had limited playoff success. They only played 3 playoff games against each other, where Buffalo was definitely the stronger defensive team over the inept Leafs.

Because I've watched both of their careers quite closely, I see that neither goalie has had an advantage over the other. In the past decade, they've been 2 of the top 3 in the league for sure... but I honestly can't give you an answer.

Maybe it's because I'm a cujo fan, and I'm in denial, or maybe I think Hasek has been a wee bit overrated. Regardless, I think the answer to your question will be revealed in the upcoming season. Although, Hasek won't exactly be in his prime.

Curtis in his prime was/is a giant killer... Hasek was an acrobatic idiot.

You be judge.

Michael Griffiths said:
LMAO! Which one do I think is better, you might ask?

Patrick Roy :wink:

Hahaha,

Michael your wit will be the death of me. And a painful one at that... since it could use some sharpening.

Anyways,

Sergei Fedorov has severed ties with the Detroit Red Wings organization (confirmed by TSN Kobe)... likely suitors... no one.

Detroit is going down the shitter for next season :down:

Especially since they've made quite the lucrative offer to Derian Hatcher (5 years, 30mill... also according to TSN :wink:)... oh it's going to get messy.

:wave:

cujo said:
and both have had limited playoff success

You be judge.

how was haseks stanley cup victory a limited success? granted he didnt have to stand his head too many times...but he did win-he was successful

Fuck! I don't believe this. Colorado just signed Paul Kariya and freakin' Teemu Selanni!!! They're together again! Colorado is going to win the cup now, no question. They could have a pilon in net, but since they will be scoring 12 goals a game now on average, it doesn't matter.

Her's the pre-story: http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=46230

This is unbelievable. I honestly thought Paul may come back to Vancouver, as the Canucks didn't deny any reports that they were going after him. But can you imagine a team with Forsberg, Sakic, Hejduk, Salanni and Paul Kariya all up front??? AvsGirl, can I move to Colorado? :sexywink:

Last edited:
kobayashi said:
how was haseks stanley cup victory a limited success? granted he didnt have to stand his head too many times...but he did win-he was successful

Limited, as in they don't both have 3 or 4 cups. If you take their careers as a whole, they both went pretty deep into the playoffs a few times... but due to their teams incompetency, they weren't able to hoist the cup. Hasek won last year, but comparatively in terms of playoff stats I would say they're on pretty much equal ground. Hasek has the regular season wrapped up though.

As for Colorado.

I hate them now more than ever. Sorry.

:down:

I can't believe Kariya took an 8.8 million dollar paycut...I reallly wish he did this for Vancouver. :mad: Imagine how the Ducks feel right now? They just payed him 10 mill a season for 4 years, and now he just signed a 1 year, 1.2 mill contract???

Back
Top Bottom