NHL Awards Tonight! Who Will Win?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Michael Griffiths

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Just to add to the anticipation, here's a little inspiration...
Gretzk22.jpg

As a refresher, here are the nominees...
http://www.canucks.com/news/pressre...ionID=31&id=272

Naslund a Finalist for Hart Trophy
Wed. Apr 30, 2003

NEW YORK (April 30, 2003) --Four members of the Western Conference regular-season champion Dallas Stars -- the most of any NHL club -- have been selected as finalists for NHL trophies as the NHL announced today the nominees for seven annual awards. Stars voted as trophy finalists are Derian Hatcher, for the Norris Trophy as best defenseman; right wing Jere Lehtinen, for the Selke Trophy as top defensive forward; center Mike Modano, for the Lady Byng Trophy for sportsmanship; and Marty Turco, for the Vezina Trophy as top goaltender.

Named as finalists for the Hart Trophy as the League?s most valuable player to his club are forwards Peter Forsberg of the Colorado Avalanche and Markus Naslund of the Vancouver Canucks -- NHL scoring leaders this season and natives of Ornskoldsvik, Sweden -- and New Jersey Devils goaltender Martin Brodeur. Each is a Hart Trophy finalist for the first time.

Brodeur, also a Vezina Trophy finalist, and Detroit Red Wings defenseman Nicklas Lidstrom, a finalist for the Norris and Lady Byng Trophies, are the only players nominated for multiple awards.

The winners will be announced Thursday, June 12 during the 2003 NHL Awards Television Special in Toronto. The Awards show will be broadcast nationally in Canada on CBC and in the United States on ESPN2 from 8 - 9:30 p.m., ET.

All voting is conducted at the conclusion of the regular season. The Professional Hockey Writers? Association votes for five trophies (Hart, Norris, Selke, Calder and Lady Byng), the NHL Broadcasters? Association selects the Jack Adams Award and NHL General Managers vote for the Vezina Trophy.

The results are tabulated by the accounting firm Ernst & Young. Following are the finalists for each trophy, in alphabetical order:

HART MEMORIAL TROPHY
The Hart Memorial Trophy is awarded annually "to the player adjudged to be the most valuable to his team," as selected by the Professional Hockey Writers' Association.

MARTIN BRODEUR - Goaltender, New Jersey Devils * First career Hart Trophy nomination * Won a share of the Jennings Trophy (goaltender on the club allowing the fewest goals, 166) * Led all goaltenders in victories (41) and shutouts (nine); was fourth in goals-against average (2.02) * Notched his NHL-record fourth 40-victory season and eighth consecutive 30-victory campaign
PETER FORSBERG - Center, Colorado Avalanche * First career Hart Trophy nomination * Captured the Art Ross Trophy as the NHL's points leader with 29 goals and 77 assists for 106 points in 75 games * Also led the NHL in assists and shared the lead in plus-minus (+52)
MARKUS NASLUND - Left Wing, Vancouver Canucks * First career Hart Trophy nomination and first in Canucks history * Finished second among NHL scorers with a career-high 104 points (48 goals, 56 assists) * Led the NHL in power-play points (54) and game-winning goals (12) * Finished second in the NHL, behind linemate Todd Bertuzzi, in power-play goals (24)

JAMES NORRIS MEMORIAL TROPHY

The James Norris Trophy is awarded annually "to the defense player who demonstrates throughout the season the greatest all-around ability in the position," as selected by the Professional Hockey Writers' Association.

DERIAN HATCHER - Dallas Stars * First career Norris Trophy nomination * Appeared in all 82 games for the first time in his career; led the Stars in ice time per game (25:51) * Tallied 30 points (eight goals, 22 assists), most since 1998-99 * Ranked fifth in the NHL in plus/minus (+37)
NICKLAS LIDSTROM - Detroit Red Wings * Earned his sixth consecutive nomination as Norris finalist; captured the award for the second consecutive year in 2002 after finishing second in 1998, 1999 and 2000 * Finished third in scoring among defensemen with 62 points (18 goals, 44 assists) * Led all players in ice time per game (29:20), ranked third in plus-minus(+40)
AL MacINNIS - St. Louis Blues * Voted a Norris finalist for the sixth time; finished first in 1999, second in 1990 and 1991 and third in 1989 and 1994 * Led all defensemen in scoring with 68 points (16 goals, 52 assists) in 80 games * Tied for second on the Blues in plus-minus (+22)

CALDER MEMORIAL TROPHY

The Calder Memorial Trophy is awarded annually "to the player selected as the most proficient in his first year of competition in the National Hockey League," as selected by the Professional Hockey Writers'Association.

BARRET JACKMAN - Defense, St. Louis Blues * First Blues finalist for the Calder Trophy since Jim Campbell finished third in 1997 * Led the Blues and finished second among all rookies in plus-minus (+23) * St. Louis? first choice, 17th overall, in the 1999 Entry Draft
RICK NASH - Left Wing, Columbus Blue Jackets * The first Blue Jackets player voted an NHL Awards finalist * Finished third among NHL rookies in scoring with 39 points (17 goals, 22 assists) in 74 games * Columbus? first choice, first overall, in the 2002 Entry Draft
HENRIK ZETTERBERG - Left Wing, Detroit Red Wings * The first Red Wings finalist for the Calder Trophy since Nicklas Lidstrom finished second in 1992 * Led all rookies in scoring with 44 points (22 goals, 22 assists) in 79 games * Detroit?s fourth choice, 210th overall, in the 1999 Entry Draft

FRANK J. SELKE TROPHY

The Frank J. Selke Trophy is awarded annually "to the forward who best excels in the defensive aspects of the game," as selected by the Professional Hockey Writers' Association.

JERE LEHTINEN - Right Wing, Dallas Stars * A Selke finalist for the fifth time; won the trophy in 1998 and 1999, was third in 1997 and 2002 * Led the Stars and was fourth in the NHL in plus-minus (+39) * Second among Stars forwards in ice time per game (18:47)
JOHN MADDEN - Center, New Jersey Devils * A Selke finalist for the second time; captured the award in 2001 * Notched a career-high 41 points (19 goals, 22 assists) and +13 rating in 80 games * The Devils allowed just 166 goals, tied with Philadelphia for the fewest in the NHL
WES WALZ - Center, Minnesota Wild * A first-time Selke finalist * Tallied 32 points (13 goals, 19 assists) in 80 games and posted a +11 rating * Helped the Wild allow the fourth-fewest goals in the NHL (178), a drop of 60 over 2001-2002 * Led the Wild in face-offs taken (1,505)

LADY BYNG MEMORIAL TROPHY

The Lady Byng Memorial Trophy is awarded annually "to the player adjudged to have exhibited the best type of sportsmanship and gentlemanly conduct combined with a high standard of playing ability," as selected by the Professional Hockey Writers' Association.

NICKLAS LIDSTROM - Defense, Detroit Red Wings * A Lady Byng finalist for the fifth consecutive year; finished second from 1999 through 2001, third last year * One of two defensemen in 20 years to be voted a Lady Byng finalist (Brian Leetch third in 1992) * Finished third among NHL defensemen in scoring with 62 points (18-44-62) * Appeared in all 82 games, assessed 38 minutes in penalties
MIKE MODANO - Center, Dallas Stars * A first-time Lady Byng finalist * Tied for fourth in the NHL in assists (57), tied for sixth in plus/minus (+34) and 11th in points (85) * Reached the 600-assist, 1,000-game and 1,000-point NHL Milestones this season * Appeared in 79 games, assessed 30 minutes in penalties
ALEXANDER MOGILNY - Right Wing, Toronto Maple Leafs * A first-time Lady Byng finalist * Led the Maple Leafs and finished 15th in the NHL in scoring with 79 points (33 goals, 46 assists) * Also led his club in assists, game-winning goals (nine) and shorthanded goals (three, tie) * Appeared in 73 games, received 12 minutes in penalties

VEZINA TROPHY

The Vezina Trophy is awarded annually "to the goalkeeper adjudged to be the best at his position," as voted by League General Managers.

ED BELFOUR - Toronto Maple Leafs * His first Vezina Trophy nomination since 1995 and fourth overall; won the award in 1991 and 1993, finished second in 1995 * Posted a 37-20-5 record, 2.26 GAA, .922 save percentage and seven shutouts in 62 games * Set a franchise record for wins and became the seventh goaltender in NHL history to reach 400
MARTIN BRODEUR - New Jersey Devils * His fourth nomination as a Vezina finalist; finished second 1997 and 1998, third in 2001 * Won his third William Jennings Trophy (goaltender on the club allowing the fewest goals, 166) * Led all goaltenders in victories (41) and shutouts (nine); was fourth in goals-against average (2.02) * Notched his fourth 40-victory season and eighth consecutive 30-victory campaign
MARTY TURCO - Dallas Stars * A Vezina Trophy finalist for the first time * Led all NHL goaltenders in goals-against average (1.72) and save percentage (.932) and tied for fifth in shutouts (seven); compiled a 31-10-10 record in 55 games * Posted a franchise-record 16-game unbeaten streak (12-0-4) from Dec. 29-Mar. 25

JACK ADAMS AWARD

The Jack Adams Award is awarded annually "to the NHL coach adjudged to have contributed the most to his team's success," as selected by the NHL Broadcasters' Association.

JACQUES LEMAIRE - Minnesota Wild * A Jack Adams finalist for the second time; captured the award in 1994 with New Jersey * Led the Wild to a Stanley Cup Playoff berth in its third NHL season with a 42-29-10-1 record for 95 points, a 22-point improvement over 2001-2002 * The Wild?s team goals-against average of 2.14 ranked fourth in the League
JACQUES MARTIN - Ottawa Senators * An Adams finalist for the fourth time in seven years; finished first in 1999, third in 1997 and 2001 * Led the Senators to their first Presidents? Trophy as the NHL?s top regular-season club * The Senators won the Northeast Division title for the third time in five seasons with a mark of 52-21-8-1 for a franchise-record 113 points
JOHN TORTORELLA - Tampa Bay Lightning * A first-time Adams finalist and the first Lightning nominee since Terry Crisp finished third in 1996 * In his third season in Tampa Bay, led the Lightning to the playoffs for the first time since 1995-96 * The Lightning mounted a 13-game undefeated streak (7-0-6) from Mar. 7 through Apr. 2 and captured the Southeast Division title, edging the Washington Capitals by a single point

OTHER NHL TROPHY WINNERS

Other awards to be presented at the NHL Television Awards Special on June 12:

Peter Forsberg of the Colorado Avalanche will receive the Art Ross Trophy as the NHL?s points leader, while teammate Milan Hejduk will accept the Maurice Richard Trophy as the League?s goal-scoring leader. Forsberg recorded 106 points (29 goals, 77 assists) and Hejduk tallied 50 goals.

Three goaltenders -- Roman Cechmanek and Robert Esche of the Philadelphia Flyers and Martin Brodeur of the New Jersey Devils -- will share the William M. Jennings Trophy, presented to the goaltender(s) with more than 25 appearances on the club allowing the fewest goals against during the regular season. The Flyers and Devils finished the season having allowed 166 goals.

Two other trophies, the Bill Masterton Memorial Trophy (perseverance, sportsmanship and dedication to hockey) and the King Clancy Memorial Trophy (leadership and humanitarian contribution to his community) also will be presented at the Awards Ceremony.

2001-2002 NHL TROPHY WINNERS
Hart Memorial Trophy - Jose Theodore, Montreal Canadiens James Norris Memorial Trophy - Nicklas Lidstrom, Detroit Red Wings Calder Memorial Trophy - Dany Heatley, Atlanta Thrashers Frank J. Selke Trophy - Michael Peca, New York Islanders Vezina Trophy - Jose Theodore, Montreal Canadiens Lady Byng Memorial Trophy - Ron Francis, Carolina Hurricanes Jack Adams Award - Bob Francis, Phoenix Coyotes

Last edited:
CONGRATULATIONS MARKUS!!!

For those of you who don't know, the Lester B. Pearson Award is even more important than the Hart Trophy according to almost everyone in the game. This award is voted on by the players, who have to face the nominees night in and night out (so they know best!).

Vancouver's Markus Naslund wins Lester B. Pearson Award on Thursday

Canadian Press

(CP PHOTO/Richard Lam)

I-030612News1114834-1.jpg

Vancouver Canucks captain Markus Naslund is this year's Pearson trophy winner as the most outstanding regular season player as voted by his fellow NHLers.

TORONTO

For Markus Naslund, the Lester B. Pearson Award is anything but an afterthought among NHL awards.

"I can honestly say this one is special, even though it doesn't get the publicity the Hart Trophy gets," the Vancouver Canucks captain said after receiving the award Thursday at a lunchtime ceremony prior to the NHL's evening awards gala.

"It's still a neat thing when your peers vote for you," he added.

NHL players chose Naslund as the league's most outstanding player, earning him the award named after Canada's former prime minister.

Boston captain Joe Thornton and Colorado forward Peter Forsberg were the other finalists.

Forsberg and Naslund, along with New Jersey goaltender Martin Brodeur, were also finalists for the Hart Trophy as league MVP. The Hart is voted on by the Professional Hockey Writers Association.

The Pearson winner receives $20,000 US to donate to a hockey program of his choice as part of the NHLPA's Goals and Dreams fund. Runners-up get to contribute $10,000 to the grassroots hockey program of his choice.

Naslund, 29, was second in league scoring this season with 48 goals and 56 assists in 82 games.

The first Swede to win the Pearson Award, Naslund paid tribute to those who went before him.

"I give credit to a guy like (former Toronto defenceman) Borje Salming, who came over and opened the door for all of us. I've just heard what he had to go through to get to this point, so my hat is off to him. Guys tried to intimidate him when he came over. He just battled through and showed up game in and game out."

Canucks general manager Brian Burke said Naslund's contribution is far greater than what fans see on the ice.

"Class guy, great leader," said Burke. "We've only got five players left in Vancouver that I inherited (when the GM joined the club in 1998), but thank God he was one of them."

Both Burke and Naslund credit ex-Canucks captain Mark Messier with moulding the player Markus would become.

"Playing with Mark Messier did help develop Markus' own leadership skills, said Burke. "He would be the first to admit that."

Naslund agreed.

"Anytime you're around greatness, which I look at him (Messier) being, I think you try to pick up things. Just trying to see how he tried to keep the team tight, not only on the ice but off the ice, that's stuff that you try to remember."

Last edited:
Congrats...

Turco for Vezina.

Naslund for Hart.

Lemaire for Adams.

Make sense?

cujo said:
Congrats...

Naslund for Hart.

Make sense?

I never thought I'd live to see the day, Cujo...you're a decent man afterall. You don't think Forsberg will win? As much as I want Markus to win, I think the writers will pick Forsberg (leading scorer, best +/-, etc).

Here are my predictions:

Hart: Forsberg (hoping for Naslund)

Norris: Al MacInnis

Calder: Rick Nash

Selke: Jere Lehtinen

Lady Byng: Alexander Mogilny

Vezina: Martin Brodeur

Jack Adams: Jacque Lemaire

Michael Griffiths said:
I never thought I'd live to see the day, Cujo...you're a decent man afterall. You don't think Forsberg will win? As much as I want Markus to win, I think the writers will pick Forsberg (leading scorer, best +/-, etc).

Yeah, but Naslund was consistently good. Forsberg just burned up the race towards the end. It went to a Canadian team last year... Jarome, you remember him right?

Alright, who's gonna be the spoiler and post the winners before broadcast?

I know it's on at 8:00pm MT. But it may have already started in Toronto.

PS- Zoney, good point... maybe another intervention is in order.

:sexywink:

It's unfortunate that Brodeur finally got the Vezina... combination of Turco's injury and the "always a brides-maid" factor.

:up: Brendan Shanahan collecting the King Clancy, as well Steve Yzerman receiving the Masterton Trophy. Both class acts... no matter what the Chizzer says...

:sexywink:

Congrats to Barrett Jackman, and all the other deserving winners.

PS- Peter Forsberg, what were you thinking? Let's make fun of a small-market team and their plight to survive financial constraints. Hahaha, you need to take your comedic act on tour.

:down:

Forsberg said something to the effect of:

Well a lot of people thought Lemieux would be winning this award... up until he traded all his players away.

*awkward silence*

... but that's another story.

*cringing*

Damn!!!!!!! We didn't get the #$*#ing NHL awards out here! This is like the first year EVER that CBC hasn't carried it out in BC (or at least where I live). What feakin' gives??? I'm soooo pissed right now! I wanted to see Sam Roberts play. Arggghh. Hey, Cujo, what did Forsberg say?

So, turns out I got 5 of the 7 of the award winners right. Not too bad, hey?

I was 1/3... Sam Roberts wasn't too bad. Sounded a little winded live though. He played Come On Eileen :sexywink: and Where Have All The Good People Gone.

I'm sorry you missed it Michael... Forsberg semi-redeemed himself at the end, accepting the Hart Trophy:

He congratulated Brodeur and Naslund on great seasons, and said to Markus that it's been great growing up together, being friends since they were little. "I wish I could share this with you, but you got the Lester B., so you'll do alright".

To which Naslund smiled.

:up:

i told ya it was gonna be jackman ya jackass

way to be a casual fan and only look at the stats

macinnis was robbed, just look at the stats

i saw forsberg a couple weeks ago in a bar in the lou, with doug weight

and if sleeping with your best friends wife is classy, then yes, shanny is a classy guy

Lay off shanahan chizip! Look, most people probably meet in some sleazy depraved way involving deception and immorality. Then, because no one knows or cares who they are, they just lie to their kids and say they met at a church picnic or some such bs. At least he does good stuff for the community, dammit.

Bbug said:
most people probably meet in some sleazy depraved way involving deception and immorality. Then, because no one knows or cares who they are, they just lie to their kids and say they met at a church picnic or some such bs. At least he does good stuff for the community, dammit.

no, that was just u2popmofo's parents

u2popmofo said:
This coming from someone who dates farm animals.

I... I am not an animal. I am a human being.

I mean, I shouldn't have uttered that utterance out loud. Damn.

Hahahahahaha, your zaney shenanegins suit my fancy in the best of ways Cujo.

Wait....you were joking, right? Please dont tell me Cujo Jr. is from some taudry affair you had with Chizip.

:eyebrow:

Dude, I have no freakin' idea... for all I know, it was while I served as the "other" intern at the white house. Damn that Slick Willy charm.

Last edited:
cujo said:
Forsberg said something to the effect of:

Well a lot of people thought Lemieux would be winning this award... up until he traded all his players away.

*awkward silence*

... but that's another story.

*cringing*

Oh, that Foppa.

He's not really a very funny guy. Maybe that was a parting shot for our beloved Ville Niminen.

Back
Top Bottom