NHL 2005-2006, the year Canadians and all hockey fans try to make up for a lost year - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-13-2005, 12:02 PM   #76
Refugee

Local Time: 03:32 AM
Anger over alleged slur spills into parkade
By ROBIN BROWNLEE -- Edmonton Sun

Sean says it isn't so.

Sought out by coach Craig MacTavish and facing several Edmonton Oilers players, Sean Avery of the Los Angeles Kings denied directing a racial slur at Georges Laraque during a tense confrontation in the parkade of the Staples Center late Tuesday.

Avery, approached by MacTavish in the parkade with the Edmonton contingent waiting to board the team bus, denied he'd said anything inappropriate to Laraque.

When confronted by Laraque moments after being questioned by MacTavish, Avery became agitated and issued another denial, this one laced with profanity. That's when things got tense.

With Avery and two Kings players, one being rookie George Parros, on one side and Laraque, surrounded by several teammates, on the other, the situation had the potential to get ugly.

Cooler heads prevailed, however, and the scene ended without incident.

The groups went their separate ways without any pushing, shoving or punches being thrown.

Old 10-13-2005, 12:51 PM   #77
fah
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:32 AM
I hoping game 2 in Minnesota will be better than game 1

Old 10-13-2005, 03:05 PM   #78
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 04:32 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by boosterjuice
Anger over alleged slur spills into parkade

Sought out by coach Craig MacTavish and facing several Edmonton Oilers players, Sean Avery of the Los Angeles Kings denied directing a racial slur at Georges Laraque during a tense confrontation in the parkade of the Staples Center late Tuesday.
that is so NOT cool. the story in the edmonton journal says they're letting league disciplinarians handle it, but jason smith says he heard it. if it's true, avery will be on my shitlist for sure. maybe he'll get the shit kicked out of him when the kings play here on dec. 23?
Old 10-13-2005, 10:45 PM   #79
I serve MacPhisto

Local Time: 05:32 AM
I've always been a Pittsburgh fan, and more specifically a Lemieux fan. I like Vancouver, as I'm Canadian and nationally obligated to like a Canadian team (it's in our constitution, somewhere ). But, you can hardly blame Pittsburgh fans for not having much to say these past few years... once we traded Francis, Jagr, Kovalev, Straka, Kasparitis, et al, we had no team... Personally, rather than talking about how my team placed last in the league, or in the bottom 10 the past 3 seasons, I'd rather suffer silently and not talk about them at all. :\

Still have my 3 Pens jerseys in my drawer, though, for when it gets cooler out plus my Vancouver one for when my Pens ones are in the wash.

Got a year of hockey to make up this year, and subsequently, a year of missed hockey beers.
Old 10-13-2005, 11:17 PM   #80
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:02 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by RavenBlue
Nice to see they finally figured out how to turn the lightswitch back on for the Leafs game last night
This has the the seeds of a good lightbulb joke...
Old 10-13-2005, 11:19 PM   #81
Acrobat

Local Time: 06:32 AM
Quote:
I've noticed a lot of Pens fans coming out of the woodwork now that they have decent team.

Last season, you'd be hard pressed to find a Pens fan anywhere.
Not me. Been a die-hard fan since 87 and have cheered them on proudly every year since. But I can see where the casual fan would jump on the bandwagon. Here's hoping they don't jump off. GO PENS GO!!!
Old 10-14-2005, 05:44 PM   #82
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

I love it when Toronto fails. They get SO much media attention. It's really sick. I have to watch sportsnet and tsn commentators spend so much time covering the Leafs and only a little portion of the broadcasts going to Oiler coverage. And the CBC, they are in bed with the Leafs. Can you ever remember seeing a Hockey Night in Canada broadcast when the Leafs wern't playing? So yes, I like to see the Leafs fail but I will still cheer for them over any American team once the playoffs start.

I agree. Just not with the last sentence.
Old 10-14-2005, 10:08 PM   #83
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

As for the Maple Leafs: The centre of the universe=Toronto. I love it when Toronto fails. They get SO much media attention. It's really sick. I have to watch sportsnet and tsn commentators spend so much time covering the Leafs and only a little portion of the broadcasts going to Oiler coverage. And the CBC, they are in bed with the Leafs. Can you ever remember seeing a Hockey Night in Canada broadcast when the Leafs wern't playing? So yes, I like to see the Leafs fail but I will still cheer for them over any American team once the playoffs start.
Well, then you won't be happy with tonight's results - Toronto 9-1 over what is supposed to be a mighty offensive power, Atlanta

I wish they broadcast the Pens game here - they came back from 5-1 deficit but still lost 6-5
Old 10-14-2005, 11:40 PM   #84
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Achtung Joshua!

Not me. Been a die-hard fan since 87 and have cheered them on proudly every year since. But I can see where the casual fan would jump on the bandwagon. Here's hoping they don't jump off. GO PENS GO!!!
prove it
Old 10-14-2005, 11:43 PM   #85
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by ladywithspinninghead

Well, then you won't be happy with tonight's results - Toronto 9-1 over what is supposed to be a mighty offensive power, Atlanta

I wish they broadcast the Pens game here - they came back from 5-1 deficit but still lost 6-5
I saw some of the highlights from that game. Looked to be very thrilling. Pat Quinn sure seemed pissed off with Atlanta's coach for some reason.

The Oilers lost a close one. Hedberg played great. Conklin didn't (again!!!).
Old 10-14-2005, 11:43 PM   #86
I serve MacPhisto

prove the contrary
Old 10-15-2005, 07:33 PM   #87
New Yorker

Brett Hull has retired.

I always wanted to hate him, but couldn't. He's a great player.
Old 10-15-2005, 10:03 PM   #88
Acrobat

yeah i liked brett, but hes 41 so adios brett
Old 10-16-2005, 01:25 AM   #89
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 07:02 AM
Brett Hull
Best release ever.

How is the Hall of Fame going to induct all 5 of these legends at the one time?

Mark Messier- 2nd alltime scorer
Ron Francis - 4th alltime scorer
Brett Hull - 3rd alltime goal scorer
Al McInnis - 3rd highest scoring defenseman
Scott Stevens - one of the most dominating defenseman in history of the game

I read they only allow 4 player entries in the one induction year but all 5 deserve induction during the first year eligibility. I guess Stevens would be left out due to less offensive numbers but what if Yzerman hangs em up too? The 2007 HOF induction ceremony will be the greatest class of inductees ever.

Stupid lockout
Old 10-16-2005, 01:29 AM   #90
I serve MacPhisto

I figure they should induct twice the number since they have two times as many people retiring. But that would make too much sense for a bureaucracy.