NHL 2005-2006, the year Canadians and all hockey fans try to make up for a lost year

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
boosterjuice said:
I've noticed a lot of Pens fans coming out of the woodwork now that they have decent team.

Last season, you'd be hard pressed to find a Pens fan anywhere.

I think about 90% of it has to do with Crosby.

Vancouver has played Streets as the opening song when the Canucks first skate out for several years now. Very thrilling! I was at our home opener on the 5th, and it sent chills up and down my spine. Hearing U2 and seeing my Canucks live after so long was wonderful!

boosterjuice said:
Another win for my Oilers. That's three in a row now. How's Calgary doing again???
haha!

oilers :heart:

raffi torres is on fiyaaahhhh!!

Here is my list of fav teams:

1. Edmonton Oilers: Always have been (except for a few years in the mid-90s when I was a Pavel Bure/Canucks fan- I feel ashamed to admit this) and always will be an Oilers fan!

2. Ottawa Sens: I used to live there and they have been my second favourite team since they came back.

3. Montreal CAnadians: Even though Albertans are suppossed to dislike them, I always enjoy seeing them do good.

I have a love-hate relationship with the other Canadian teams. I hate them during the regular season if their success comes at the expense of the Oilers. Vancouver and Calgary are in the same division as the Oilers. Any bonifide Oiler fan wouldn't cheer for them during the regular season. But, with that said, I still would like to see them make it to the playoffs and will cheer for them in playoffs just as long as it's not against the Oilers -of course.

As for the Maple Leafs: The centre of the universe=Toronto. I love it when Toronto fails. They get SO much media attention. It's really sick. I have to watch sportsnet and tsn commentators spend so much time covering the Leafs and only a little portion of the broadcasts going to Oiler coverage. And the CBC, they are in bed with the Leafs. Can you ever remember seeing a Hockey Night in Canada broadcast when the Leafs wern't playing? So yes, I like to see the Leafs fail but I will still cheer for them over any American team once the playoffs start.

I agree boosterjuice about the attention TO gets. I was watching Sportscentre earlier and the half the show was about the Leafs vs the Flyers. Who gives a shit?!? It's game 4 or 5, BFD!

Basically, I just cheer for good hockey although I'm an Oilers fan too.

I'm shocked at the response fans gave to the NHL upon its return after listening to months of people bitching about the lockout saying "I won't watch again" "those bastards" etc. Hypocrites! Record attendance opening night and record ratings for TSN, nice way to show the NHL and the NHLPA that the fans are their bitch. Those people better shut the hell up during the next contract negotiation when they shut down the league again since they know the fans are fickle and will run back to the league like a lonely puppy.

I will start watching after Christmas plus I hope all the bugs are worked out by then with the new rules and new teams. The best hockey ain't until the playoffs anyway.:wink:

Anyone else watching Montreal vs Ottawa? I can't believe this is Montreal!! Underhanded goal and playing unbelievably well against arguably the best team in the league!

Keep it up Montreal!!!

what do you guys expect, whats the population in alberta compared to ontario. sportsnet has the half hour show before a leaf game all the time now. i thought it was just for ont, so you guys are lucky. we are the leaf nation :drool: :drool:

ladywithspinninghead said:
Anyone else watching Montreal vs Ottawa? I can't believe this is Montreal!! Underhanded goal and playing unbelievably well against arguably the best team in the league!

Keep it up Montreal!!!

oops, I meant shorthanded, not underhanded!

Anger over alleged slur spills into parkade
By ROBIN BROWNLEE -- Edmonton Sun

Sean says it isn't so.

Sought out by coach Craig MacTavish and facing several Edmonton Oilers players, Sean Avery of the Los Angeles Kings denied directing a racial slur at Georges Laraque during a tense confrontation in the parkade of the Staples Center late Tuesday.

Avery, approached by MacTavish in the parkade with the Edmonton contingent waiting to board the team bus, denied he'd said anything inappropriate to Laraque.

When confronted by Laraque moments after being questioned by MacTavish, Avery became agitated and issued another denial, this one laced with profanity. That's when things got tense.

With Avery and two Kings players, one being rookie George Parros, on one side and Laraque, surrounded by several teammates, on the other, the situation had the potential to get ugly.

Cooler heads prevailed, however, and the scene ended without incident.

The groups went their separate ways without any pushing, shoving or punches being thrown.

boosterjuice said:
Anger over alleged slur spills into parkade

Sought out by coach Craig MacTavish and facing several Edmonton Oilers players, Sean Avery of the Los Angeles Kings denied directing a racial slur at Georges Laraque during a tense confrontation in the parkade of the Staples Center late Tuesday.
that is so NOT cool. the story in the edmonton journal says they're letting league disciplinarians handle it, but jason smith says he heard it. if it's true, avery will be on my shitlist for sure. maybe he'll get the shit kicked out of him when the kings play here on dec. 23?

I've always been a Pittsburgh fan, and more specifically a Lemieux fan. I like Vancouver, as I'm Canadian and nationally obligated to like a Canadian team (it's in our constitution, somewhere :wink:). But, you can hardly blame Pittsburgh fans for not having much to say these past few years... once we traded Francis, Jagr, Kovalev, Straka, Kasparitis, et al, we had no team... Personally, rather than talking about how my team placed last in the league, or in the bottom 10 the past 3 seasons, I'd rather suffer silently and not talk about them at all. :\

Still have my 3 Pens jerseys in my drawer, though, for when it gets cooler out :up: plus my Vancouver one for when my Pens ones are in the wash.

Got a year of hockey to make up this year, and subsequently, a year of missed hockey beers.

boosterjuice said:
I've noticed a lot of Pens fans coming out of the woodwork now that they have decent team.

Last season, you'd be hard pressed to find a Pens fan anywhere.

Not me. Been a die-hard fan since 87 and have cheered them on proudly every year since. But I can see where the casual fan would jump on the bandwagon. Here's hoping they don't jump off. GO PENS GO!!!

boosterjuice said:

I love it when Toronto fails. They get SO much media attention. It's really sick. I have to watch sportsnet and tsn commentators spend so much time covering the Leafs and only a little portion of the broadcasts going to Oiler coverage. And the CBC, they are in bed with the Leafs. Can you ever remember seeing a Hockey Night in Canada broadcast when the Leafs wern't playing? So yes, I like to see the Leafs fail but I will still cheer for them over any American team once the playoffs start.

:love:

I agree. Just not with the last sentence. :wink:

boosterjuice said:

As for the Maple Leafs: The centre of the universe=Toronto. I love it when Toronto fails. They get SO much media attention. It's really sick. I have to watch sportsnet and tsn commentators spend so much time covering the Leafs and only a little portion of the broadcasts going to Oiler coverage. And the CBC, they are in bed with the Leafs. Can you ever remember seeing a Hockey Night in Canada broadcast when the Leafs wern't playing? So yes, I like to see the Leafs fail but I will still cheer for them over any American team once the playoffs start.

Well, then you won't be happy with tonight's results - Toronto 9-1 over what is supposed to be a mighty offensive power, Atlanta :shocked:

I wish they broadcast the Pens game here - they came back from 5-1 deficit but still lost 6-5 :sad:

Achtung Joshua! said:

Not me. Been a die-hard fan since 87 and have cheered them on proudly every year since. But I can see where the casual fan would jump on the bandwagon. Here's hoping they don't jump off. GO PENS GO!!!

prove it :wink:

ladywithspinninghead said:

Well, then you won't be happy with tonight's results - Toronto 9-1 over what is supposed to be a mighty offensive power, Atlanta :shocked:

I wish they broadcast the Pens game here - they came back from 5-1 deficit but still lost 6-5 :sad:

I saw some of the highlights from that game. Looked to be very thrilling. Pat Quinn sure seemed pissed off with Atlanta's coach for some reason.

The Oilers lost a close one. Hedberg played great. Conklin didn't (again!!!).

Brett Hull
Best release ever.

How is the Hall of Fame going to induct all 5 of these legends at the one time?

Mark Messier- 2nd alltime scorer
Ron Francis - 4th alltime scorer
Brett Hull - 3rd alltime goal scorer
Al McInnis - 3rd highest scoring defenseman
Scott Stevens - one of the most dominating defenseman in history of the game

I read they only allow 4 player entries in the one induction year but all 5 deserve induction during the first year eligibility. I guess Stevens would be left out due to less offensive numbers but what if Yzerman hangs em up too? The 2007 HOF induction ceremony will be the greatest class of inductees ever.

Stupid lockout :madspit:

I figure they should induct twice the number since they have two times as many people retiring. But that would make too much sense for a bureaucracy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom