NHL 2005-2006, the year Canadians and all hockey fans try to make up for a lost year

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is bizarre!!

After that penalty was called I was thinking what a horrible way to lose the Cup on a OT power play BUT what a great way to stay alive on a shorthanded OT goal!!!

That was their best effort of the series! Their powerplay finally put the puck in the net which to me is why they are now behind in this series as opposed to the loss of Roloson. His loss was devastating but when you have a success rate of 4% on the PP ( apparently, they mentioned the Senators scored 5% of the time while shorthanded during the regular season, to put in perspective how poor the powerplay has been for Edmonton in this series) , it doesn't matter who is in between the pipes, you aren't going to win.

Those buggers better not push this to a game 7 and lose or I will never cheer for Edmonton again.

Ok, not really! :wink: Still small sliver of hope for Oiler fans. If only they never lost game one on that shitty goal and won at home the other night, if,if,if,if,if,if.....

Last edited:
BTW, the reason for doubt of Oiler chances is that 26 of 27 times, teams with a 3-1 lead in the final go on to win the cup. The 1942 Toronto Maple Leafs achieved the lone exception so the precedent has been set.

Of course, now we see how Carolina handles a difficult loss. It was a tough way to lose when you could almost taste the champagne from the Cup and now it's a 3-2 series heading back to Edmonton. So basically we are back to a home ice victories series which is not unusual.

The Oilers are doing what most teams rarely ever do, they are indeed overcoming shortcomings which in the past have ended the Stanley Cup runs of many organizations. Win or lose from here on in, the Edmonton Oilers will be considered the grittiest and most determined team ever to reach the finals.

Last edited:
All the pressure is now squarely on the shoulders of Carolina right now. The mental aspect of the game is definitely Edmonton's greatest strength in these playoffs. They have been playing must win games since March. And have been having to eke our series victories without home ice or being favoured to win by most.

Can Cam Ward, and Brind'Amour handle the pressure of now possibly blowing a 3-1 series lead? Time will tell.:eyebrow:

The penalites last night were 8 for Oilers ( 1st 5, 2nd 2, OT, 1 ) and 7 for Carolina ( 1st 3 2nd 2 3rd 2 )

RavenBlue said:
Kelly Rhudy was talking on CBC last night that he thinks jet lag may be affecting Cam Ward. Let's hope that's the case.

I love when he starts talking about the "body language" of a player. He's actually pretty accurate. The other night, he predicted a loss for the Oilers based on how stiff and hunched-over they appeared in the warm-up. It's science.

The drama last night was torturous at times, but so satisfying in the end. I'm not even a die-hard Edmonton fan, but my heart was racing.

I know. It was edge of your seat hockey for sure. I hope it's the same pace that carries into Saturdays game.

Ah thanks for the penalty numbers Trevster.. I guess they were pretty even. Just got a little out of control in the first period.

150px-Edmonton_Oilers-1.gif

Holy shit!!:ohmy: game 7 Monday night. I think the Oilers are gonna do it. Edmonton is gonna come to a stand still Monday night. It'll be like a ghost town durring the game. The streets will be absolutely empty. Let's Go Oilers!!

Go Habs Go!!

Hallucination said:

Go Habs Go!!

:lol:

The only reason why I'm cheering for Edmonton is because Carolina nabbed the Habs. Oh, and the Carolina fan waving the upside down Canada flag kind of did it for me as well.

Come on, Edmonton! You've got all the momentum now. Carolina blew a 3-1 lead in the series. You have to win now!

Yep, all the pressure is now on Carolina. This is what happens when you have a relatively easy run to the finals. They showed some character in their comeback to defeat the Habs but haven't been facing the same kinds of adversity suffered by Edmonton. Unfortunately, game 6 and now game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals is a tough time to find out if your team can face adversity.

Edmonton has this intangible characteristic of handling pressure and adversity more than any other team I have ever seen in the finals of practically any sport. Win or lose, this is a now a Cup final for the ages as the Oilers try to be the first team since the 1942 Toronto Maple Leafs to comeback from the brink of elimination to win the Cup.

LET'S GO OILERS!!

What a night! What a team! For me, it's gone from edge-of-the-seat action to edge of the coffee table...and now, mostly standing. Even the dog gets involved with her barking replies to my clapping. (Ok, that's probably out of fear.)

Ultimately, everything that's great about hockey is on this team right now: grit, skill, character, passionate play...perseverance.

Vive le Canada! Vive le Oilers!

That was a sweet game last night! We had a bunch of Edmontonians over to watch the game, and it was hilarious watching them get so incredibly excited as the game went on. :D

Go Oilers!! :hyper:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom