NHL 2005-2006, the year Canadians and all hockey fans try to make up for a lost year

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ThoraSEB said:
Still continuing to root for Edmonton! :hyper:

TEAM CANADA! They're playing with so much heart...it would be amazing if they won. I'd look for Ryan Smith to play a big role over the next few games. He's closer to the cup than he's ever been...as someone who grew up idolizing Gretzky and the classic Edmonton lineup, he must be having an incredible time.

If you had said to anyone ten years ago that the four teams in the semi-finals in the NHL playoffs in 2006 would be Buffalo, Carolina, Edmonton, and Anaheim, you would have been laughed out of the room.

:ohmy:

Go Oilers! :wink:

Edmonton!! Woohoo!! I'm so happy for them. Roloson used to play for the AHL Flames, I met the guy once and have his autograph (on a napkin). I'm so proud of him getting his first career NHL playoff shutout!

So who will the Oilers wind up going against? Anaheim? More old AHL Flames players on that team.. Giguere was here the year we won the Calder Cup. It's really interesting watching all the teams playing and then seeing all these players that we watched when they were in the AHL. Stillman with Carolina too...

I'm sure there are more, I haven't really gone over the Buffalo roster.

Go Oilers!!

duckseason.jpg

:up: Damn, the Edmonton fans were so loud...in a good way. Great atmosphere. I had a huge sense of deja vu as I was watching the final minutes; there were real vibes of the glory years, when Gretzky & company ruled the hockey world. I think I actually like this Edmonton team better, because they're winning with determination, hard work, and a lot of heart. They're kind of like the U2 of hockey right now.

Oilers in 7 over Ducks

Buffalo in 7 over Carolina

9-3 so far, 2-2 last round

Oh Pominville...so awesome...I hope Buffalo keeps up the momentum. We gotta do in hockey what we couldn't do in football! Few American cities get as excited about hockey as Buffalo does...just ask everyone who doesn't care in Raleigh :wink:.

The Edmonton series was great...even if the play was a bit sloppy in the last game. I'm wondering though why whenever Edmonton plays at home it looks so dim on tv? It's never been explained to me. Is it that dim in person as well or is it just how it shows up on tv?

I'm sure Don Cherry is rooting for the Oilers cause they're the only Canadian team left. He certainly can't think much of the Sabres since he spent a good amount of time making excuses for Ottawa during the last round.

I'm rooting for Edmonton to do well, but every time I hear about the team it reminds me of my girlfriend who lives in Edmonton for the summer (3 days' drive away from me), and is in Thailand now. :sigh:

Go Oilers, but do it fast, so that I don't have to keep hearing about you. :heart:

love_u2_adam said:
:macdevil:

you're all in oil country now!!!!!

im happy that this season and last season 2 Albertan teams have gone soo far:happy::heart:

:shh:that means we rock!!!
15$ an hour for jobs that would pay 8 elsewhere? Show me the road to oil country :drool:

Game2ducks.jpg

They stole that one, well, Roloson did. The Oilers were losing all the battles along the boards in the 3rd period, I guess, they were finally losing their legs.

Great plays in their own end though to clear the zone and not get icing calls.

Hopefully, they can continue their dominant play on home ice.

Last edited:
OILERS, GREAT JOB!!!

Too bad I can't watch the games as I'm travelling in the mid east. I'll be home for the finals to watch my team! GO OIL!!!

trevster2k said:

They stole that one, well, Roloson did. The Oilers were losing all the battles along the boards in the 3rd period, I guess, they were finally losing their legs.

According to TSN, the whole team has been affected by a giant flu bug. Amazing they could overcome that to eke out a win. I'm predicting right now that Edmonton will win the cup...they have so many side stories happening, like the unlikely tandem of Roloson and Pecca hooking up for key goals. It's fun to watch them all elevate their game a notch.

Has anyone noticed that Don Cherry on HNIC seems a little 'off'? He voice seems really weak or something.

angelordevil said:

Has anyone noticed that Don Cherry on HNIC seems a little 'off'? He voice seems really weak or something.

Personally, I am not a fan of Don Cherry. Like last night, he was responding to the US broadcasters pumping up American players and saying when he does it people call him a bigot or racist. Well, Don, the US announcers don't rip the athletes from other countries based on stereotypes. There is a difference between being proud of your own and smearing others.

I enjoy Behind the Mask with Kelly Hrudey much more, Don hasn't been relevent to the game for years now. IMHO.:wink:

trevster2k said:

I enjoy Behind the Mask with Kelly Hrudey much more, Don hasn't been relevent to the game for years now. IMHO.:wink:

Hrudey is great. I was a huge fan during his time with the Kings. As a goalie, he had a unique style all his own, including that flowing blue bandanna he wore to keep the sweat from his eyes.

Don is best was he's fired-up, but that's usually, and unfortunately, just reserved for the Leafs. His bias towards that team seems outdated today...and unnecessary.

1-0 Team Canada...err...EDMONTON!!

Hold your horses folks!!! The Ducks have found their second wind while our guys have totally taken their foot of the gas.:eyebrow:

All together now, a giant collective WHEW!

They better keep playing aggressive hockey and stop playing like they are trying to protect the lead. That's how they got into trouble in the first place. PEDAL TO THE MEDAL BOYS!!!!!!!!

I must say the national anthem at the beginning was one of the most stirring renditions I have ever seen at a sporting event in my life. It was beautiful to see the whole arena singing our anthem by themselves. It brought a tear to my eye.
mecry.gif

grinser043.gif

Last edited:
Despite the Oilers giving up their 4 goal lead, it was a great game to watch!

GO OILERS! :hyper:

I agree trev - the anthem sent chills up and down my spine! :up:

Oops, Oilers stumbled a bit last night. Still up 3-1 so that's ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom