NHL 2005-2006, the year Canadians and all hockey fans try to make up for a lost year

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ever notice how when a defencemen deflects a shot over the glass with his stick, it's a great defensive play but when a defencemen uses the same stick to deflect the same shot into his net, he's a bonehead.

trevster2k said:
Ever notice how when a defencemen deflects a shot over the glass with his stick, it's a great defensive play but when a defencemen uses the same stick to deflect the same shot into his net, he's a bonehead.

There's a very thin line between hero and scapegoat. Anyone remember the time Steve Smith of the Oilers scored on his own net in the playoffs? I think it was the decisive goal, as well. :huh: Imagine him explaining that to the grandchildren one day!

Back to the Canadiens, it looks like Koivu is out "indefinitely" with the eye injury. Teams are notoriously secretive around playoff time when it comes to injuries, and the extent of them...hopefully he just misses the next game and comes back strong. :up:

Yeah, I watched that live and in the big picture,he ruined Edmonton's run of 5 straight Cups. But he went on to be an excellent defenceman for the Oilers as he won 3 cups after that. Some players never recover from that kind of event and some cities never forgive either but Edmonton and their fans did, class act all the way.

Poor Saku. He is a walking injury chart, worst luck in the league. He even wears a visor and that didn't help because of the way he was struck.

Edmonton played with poor discipline tonight. They should bench Greene if he continues to take penalities like that and Pronger would be an amazing player if he could put a point shot on the net.

Amazing how Chelios at the age of 44 is on the ice and playing in the final minute of a playoff game with faceoff in their own end, still got skills. Remarkable achievement for an athlete regardless of how you feel about him.

trevster2k said:
Edmonton played with poor discipline tonight. They should bench Greene if he continues to take penalities like that and Pronger would be an amazing player if he could put a point shot on the net.

I think this is a trend that should definitely continue. :wink:

Here's hoping Detroit can pull another one off tomorrow afternoon.

Bleh, crap game from Montreal tonight. They had their chance, and they blew it. I'm not feeling overly optimistic for the next three games. They're not out of it yet, but they'll have to try harder than they did this evening.

Fucking 'Canes need to learn how to keep their fuckng hockey sticks on the ice. Everyone's favourite flailing, rolling douchebag Justin Williams give another Habs player a stick right in the face last night, it happened later on in the game again, at centre ice no less with no call.

It's almost a shame Bob Gainey is a reserved, respectable guy. If he were a swearing moron like Lightning coach John Tortorella he'd be demanding that the league bring in a new ref team for this series.

These refs can't not fuck up a call it seems. High sticks, the guy at centre ice overruling the referee at the net on a goal - and this is from an experienced officiating team as well. Just plain stupidity.

The real Hockey Day in Canada is here. 3 Canadian teams playing playoff hockey.

Hockey has the worst officiating of any sport. It's part of the game.:wink:

Canadiens1160 said:
Fucking 'Canes need to learn how to keep their fuckng hockey sticks on the ice. Everyone's favourite flailing, rolling douchebag Justin Williams give another Habs player a stick right in the face last night, it happened later on in the game again, at centre ice no less with no call.

It's almost a shame Bob Gainey is a reserved, respectable guy. If he were a swearing moron like Lightning coach John Tortorella he'd be demanding that the league bring in a new ref team for this series.

These refs can't not fuck up a call it seems. High sticks, the guy at centre ice overruling the referee at the net on a goal - and this is from an experienced officiating team as well. Just plain stupidity.

crybaby.jpg

:wink:

trevster2k said:

Hockey has the worst officiating of any sport. It's part of the game.:wink:

The one call that always takes a hike in the playoffs...

interference.gif

INTERFERENCE! :happy:

I thought the days of the trap were left behind in the "old" NHL. It's just the first-round, but it's pretty obvious that certain (*cough,* hack*) teams are utilizing it effectively so far.

Last edited:
angelordevil said:

The one call that always takes a hike in the playoffs...

interference.gif

INTERFERENCE! :happy:

I thought the days of the trap were left behind in the "old" NHL. It's just the first-round, but it's pretty obvious that certain (*cough,* hack*) teams are utilizing it effectively so far.
Bah, thank the Devils for making the NHL so boring compared to how it was in the early 90s. Not only did they play the trap to perfection, they managed to slow the game down to the speed of molasses in the process.
DaveC said:
Do us all a favour Dave and STFU. High-stickin', along with hitting from behind, ain't cool and it hurts in real life I assure you. :mad: ;)

kthx
tard.gif

Last edited:
The early 90's had nothing on the 80's, those were the days of the high flying offenses and end to end rushes. Goalies with a GAA below 3.5 were considered elite. Any GAA below 3.00 and you were a Vezina candidate. Now, every starting goalie except Koizig was below 3.5 and most were below 3.00

The wars between the Nordiques and Habs and the Battle of Alberta, Edmonton scoring over 400 goals a season from 81-86, the peak of Gretzky vs Lemieux and the best goalie was the one who didn't let in the 5th goal.

trevster2k said:
The early 90's had nothing on the 80's, those were the days of the high flying offenses and end to end rushes.

I wish I was more alert, and slightly older during the 80's. The last truly great playoff year for me was 1993, when Gretzky and the Kings almost won it all...against Montreal! '94 was runner-up, with Messier and the Rangers. The heroics in that final series were legendary.

Montreal lost tonight, but all is not lost. Huet was very impressive in key moments. I think they can still win the series if they learn to start a game with the same intensity and drive they have in the final moments.

Kovalev :up:

OILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Battle of Alberta????????????????????????

angelordevil said:
I wish I was more alert, and slightly older during the 80's. The last truly great playoff year for me was 1993, when Gretzky and the Kings almost won it all...against Montreal! '94 was runner-up, with Messier and the Rangers. The heroics in that final series were legendary.
'93 was the first year i was old enough (2nd grade) to watch sports and know what was going on. i remember the isles beating the pens, and then being pissed at montreal when they beat them. i was pumped when la was playing well, but got really confused about the mcsorely blade-curve call.

the next year rocked so hard. mark messier was (is) my favorite player ever, and i remember watching the devils series, and being really sad and nervous, but when mess predicted the win, i was so ready. the finals against the canucks was one of my greatest sports memories ever. richter's save on bure, and mess lifting the cup. that and trying to explain to my grandma who jeff beukeboom was and why craig mctavish didn't have to wear i helmet.

Nice to see the Oilers getting through. :)

I'm so nervous about this evening. :(

I feel so bad for you, GG....:( They really played their hearts out, and lost it on a fluke play. Ryder must feel awful, as well...he was on the ice at the time. Next year, next year.

ThoraSEB said:
Well, Montreal's out. :(

At least there are still 3 Canadian teams left in the running. Go Edmonton!

:up:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom