NHL 2005-2006, the year Canadians and all hockey fans try to make up for a lost year

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Was at the Leafs - Buffalo game last night - 6-0 to Buffalo. First NHL game I ever went to. Unfortunately as the Leafs did not make the playoffs due to Tampas last minute goal, the game was a bit anti-climatic. Didnt help the leafs went 2-0 down inside 4 minutes.

Good experience tho!

ThoraSEB said:
Now that Vancouver is out ( :sad: ) all that's left to say is go Montreal!

:up: Montreal has heart...I think I'll jump on that bandwagon! Plus, one of their best clutch players (Ryder) is from here.

Go Habs Go!
Playoff tickets go on sale tomorrow, and they're already handing out wristbands to people getting in line at the Centre Bell box office.

It's like a U2 concert with more hitting :drool:

i can't believe the canucks aren't in the playoffs.

what a travesty, i could puke.

go lightning. go lecavalier.

go gadget go

maybe if the canucks could have beaten the blues they would have made it to the playoffs. that was the one redeeming value of the season for the blues, keeping the canucks out of the playoffs.

and we got the #1 pick :dancing:

Chizip said:
maybe if the canucks could have beaten the blues they would have made it to the playoffs. that was the one redeeming value of the season for the blues, keeping the canucks out of the playoffs.

and we got the #1 pick :dancing:

yeah, that's really what did it. if we had won once and lost in ot in another we'd have made it. instead we lost all four.

brutal.

Hell f***ity-YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Oleeee
Ole
Oleee
Oleeeeeeee

Ohleeeeeeeeeeeeee
Oleeeeeeeeeeee

Canadiens1160 said:
Hell f***ity-YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Oleeee
Ole
Oleee
Oleeeeeeee

Ohleeeeeeeeeeeeee
Oleeeeeeeeeeee

:up: Huet seen anything yet!! I thought he played a great game...43 saves. Not too shabby.

Canadiensd3aa.gif
I love this team so much :heart:

Last edited:
I really don't know who to cheer for, so here's what I'm going to do. I'm going to make predictions and root for whoever I predict to win in each given series.

1. Detroit vs. 8. Edmonton
The only question for Detroit here is goaltending, which isn't a strong point for Edmonton either. I know Roloson played a good game the other night, but I used to see him play in Saint John, NB for the AHL Flames, and he sucks. He sucked then, and he still sucks now. That's why Edmonton won't be able to contain the firepower of Detroit.
Prediction: Detroit in 5.

2. Dallas vs. 7. Colorado
This should be a good series. Colorado has Theodore now who has playoff experience, so that really should help them out. Dallas is a good defensive team and the Avalanche have lost a lot of offensive strength over the past couple of years. It'll still be a tight series either way.
Prediction: Dallas in 7.

3. Calgary vs. 6. Anaheim
J.S. Giguere has had his stretch of playoff luck before both here in Halifax and in Anaheim a few years back (took both teams to Game 7 of the league finals and lost). Calgary is one of the most balanced teams in the NHL right now with good young talent both up front and on D in Iginla and Phaneuf. I think that tandem will be able to shut down Teemu Selanne and score enough goals to win the series pretty handily.
Prediction: Calgary in 4.

4. Nashville vs. 5. San Jose
The last few weeks of the season weren't great for Nashville, as they dropped from 2nd to 4th and lost the division. The pickup of Joe Thornton was HUGE for the Sharks and I think it will be enough to lift them over the hump in a long series.
Prediction: Sharks in 6.

1. Ottawa vs. 8. Tampa Bay
Ottawa and their whiny fans seem to think that this year it's their destiny to win. I've got news for Senators fans - your destiny went out the window on February 15 with a torn adductor muscle. Ray Emery is decent but doesn't have the skills to take the team all the way. On the other hand, Tampa's still got the ability to score and win games. It'll take a long time but I think this will be the upset of the playoffs.
Prediction: Lightning in 7.

2. Carolina vs 7. Montreal
Be glad, Habs fans. That's the only game you're going to win in this one. Carolina just has too much scoring talent in Staal and Weight and Brind'amour. There are too many questions about the goaltending situation in Montreal for them to be able to effectively stop it.
Prediction: Carolina in 5.

3. NY Rangers vs. 6. New Jersey
Well, I was going to take the Rangers in a long series, but that was before Jagr got injured last night, and quite frankly, Jagr is pretty much all the Rangers really have. The rest of the team is good, but they can't score enough goals on Brodeur to win without Jagr. The Rangers just take way too many penalties, and now their big man who keeps them in the game is gone. This is probably the easiest series to call, now.
Prediction: Devils in 5.

4. Buffalo vs. 5. Philadelphia
This is a nearly-perfectly matched series. Both teams have the ability to score, can defend, and have good goalies. This one could go either way. I've got the gut feeling that the whole series rests on what Ken Hitchcock does with his goaltenders, and make no mistake - Esche is the better goalie in pressure situations. This is going to be a grueling, long series with more than one overtime game that could go either way.
Prediction: Flyers in 7.

So, that leaves...
1. Detroit vs. 5. San Jose - Detroit in 6.
2. Dallas vs. 3. Calgary - Calgary in 6.

2. Carolina vs. 8. Tampa Bay - Carolina in 5.
5. Philadelphia vs. 6. New Jersey - Philadelphia in 7.

Detroit vs. Calgary - Calgary in 7.
Carolina vs. Philadelphia - Carolina in 6.

Calgary vs. Carolina - Calgary in 5.

I pulled the Final call right out of my ass, because that's a damn close one to call. I firmly think that the first round calls will be right, but everything after that was more or less of a gut feeling or a complete guess.

:shrug:

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
Maltby in double OT... :wink:

I had forgotten how long some of these games can go. :huh:

Which is why I'm glad I only heard the score this morning!

People laugh at me when I say Kirk Maltby and Kris Draper have been the most valuable Detroit Red Wings over the last decade behind Yzerman and Lidstrom (granted, it's not for their goal-scoring abilities).

DaveC said:

2. Carolina vs 7. Montreal
Be glad, Habs fans. That's the only game you're going to win in this one. Carolina just has too much scoring talent in Staal and Weight and Brind'amour. There are too many questions about the goaltending situation in Montreal for them to be able to effectively stop it.
Prediction: Carolina in 5.
:shrug:
LOL what the hell are you talking about? There is no question about the goaltending situation at all. Huet was given the Game 1 start even after losing the last 2 games of the regular season. I think it's clear who the number one goalie is.

So why has it been a question of who would start, Huet or Aebischer, for the past week and a half on every sports news show there is...? :|

randhail said:

Poor fella...I think he's actually ok, believe it or not. After the hit, his eyes were rolling around like a possessed character in a Stephen King movie.

DaveC said:
So why has it been a question of who would start, Huet or Aebischer, for the past week and a half on every sports news show there is...? :|

He looks pretty composed so far tonight...blanking Carolina 3-0 after the first.....Michael Ryder, Michael Ryder! Nice goal from him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom