NFL Thread Part Three, Take Two - Page 30 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-21-2006, 08:16 PM   #436
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 01:24 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten
Headache, I don't think you really 'remember' the Colts leaving Baltimore in early '84 since you were only 3 years old. There was a story behind it, the team didn't even want to go. The owner and the city couldn't agree on a new stadium, and they had to leave by a certain date or be charged for it again. Yes, Bob Irsay was a jerk, and the team often suffered for it. His son Jim and Bill Polian have turned it back to respectability.

The irony is that Baltimore NEVER built the promised stadium before securing another team many years later, and what team did they get? After whining over someone taking their team, they ended up taking someone else's team
what's so ironic about not building a stadium for a team you don't have?

any mayor who sinks money into building a football stadium when his city doesn't have a football team won't be mayor very long.

Quote:
(The Ravens are the original Cleveland Browns with a new name, the current Browns are an expansion team Cleveland got as a replacement)

Old 01-21-2006, 10:20 PM   #437
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Old 01-22-2006, 09:38 AM   #438
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase

what's so ironic about not building a stadium for a team you don't have?

any mayor who sinks money into building a football stadium when his city doesn't have a football team won't be mayor very long.
Indianapolis and St. Louis did it, and they got teams to move there. I remember driving past the half built TWA dome in the summer of '94, my brother and I laughing at 'the dome build for no one.' He then, on our running videotape, prophetically added, 'maybe the Rams.' If you build it, they will come.

But the irony of which I spoke was people in Baltimore whining and bitching over their team leaving, how could they leave, how could Indy steal their team, then THEY did the SAME thing by taking the Browns away from Cleveland!! It was a bad thing at the time. Then they changed their name and uniforms. Cleveland didn't get a replacement Browns team for a few years. And even though they did, the REAL, original Browns, with the history, are playing in Baltimore in purple uniforms. So how can Baltimore complain about teams moving? Hypocrites!

Quote:
WTF?? I don't get it What's with the 'orly'?
Old 01-22-2006, 10:01 AM   #439
Blue Crack Distributor

of course you don't get it.

and if you reeeeeeally wanna get technical, the baltimore ravens... as per a legal settlement between the NFL and the city of cleveland... are, in fact, a new franchise, while the cleveland browns were just temporarily put on hold, with the city of cleveland keeping the rights to the browns name, colors and records.

after all, we root for the team, not the players, right?

one team? or 12 in your case?
Old 01-22-2006, 10:29 AM   #440
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
of course you don't get it.

and if you reeeeeeally wanna get technical, the baltimore ravens... as per a legal settlement between the NFL and the city of cleveland... are, in fact, a new franchise, while the cleveland browns were just temporarily put on hold, with the city of cleveland keeping the rights to the browns name, colors and records.
That's the way they twisted it, but really, the Browns leaving for Baltimore is the same as the Colts leaving for Indy.Both were old teams with a long tradition and glory days in the 50's, both moved. Technically, REALLY, the new Browns are a new expansion team started from scratch. And don't forget the Titans are the old Houston Oilers. So why are the Colts so bad, at least they kept the name and uniforms. It wasn't even the team's fault, it was businessmen, who ruin everything for everybody. After all these years, none of the players on ANY of the teams would have been the same anyway. I'm just saying it is hypocrisy for Baltimore to say how terrible and disloyal a team is for moving, when they took somebody else's team.

Quote:

after all, we root for the team, not the players, right?

one team? or 12 in your case?
No, 5. Only 2 made the playoffs, none are left. I am not a bandwagoner and do not switch teams.

I don't give a shit about any of the teams left, but if I have to root for somebody, it will be Jake Plummer and his groovy beard. He's a good guy, he's got Bassett hounds. But I don't like Denver, never have. Who are you going to pull for now, if anybody?

What is ORLY?! Is it something from a show I don't watch?
Old 01-22-2006, 10:41 AM   #441
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
And don't forget the Titans are the old Houston Oilers.

Quote:
No, 5. Only 2 made the playoffs, none are left. I am not a bandwagoner and do not switch teams.
i'm not a bandwagon jumper, either. i root for 31 teams. (damn you, arizona cardinals who were at one time from st. louis in case anyone here didn't already know that even though you all already do but i'm going to say it anyway to prove how smart i am :shakesangryfist: )

Quote:
He's a good guy, he's got Bassett hounds.
tom brady has a weiner dog, that fucking douche bag.

Quote:
Who are you going to pull for now, if anybody?
no one... my team (note the singular) is eliminated.
Old 01-22-2006, 11:10 AM   #442
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 12:24 PM
Quote:

i'm not a bandwagon jumper, either. i root for 31 teams. (damn you, arizona cardinals who were at one time from st. louis in case anyone here didn't already know that even though you all already do but i'm going to say it anyway to prove how smart i am :shakesangryfist: )

Does this mean I have to root for them too since they were once in Chicago?

I don't want to be a bandwagon jumper either.
Old 01-22-2006, 11:42 AM   #443
Blue Crack Distributor

yes it does... how dare you root for the bears. for shame
Old 01-22-2006, 11:55 AM   #444
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:

What is ORLY?! Is it something from a show I don't watch?
Possibly.

O RLY is a contraction of "oh, really?". As for how the owl got associated with it, that's a long story which you can read about here.

The owl is best used sparingly, so as not to consume excessive amounts of bandwidth.
Old 01-22-2006, 12:58 PM   #445
Blue Crack Distributor

baisicly i'm saying "no fucking shit sherlock" but in a kind, fuzzy, snow owly type of way.
Old 01-22-2006, 03:10 PM   #446
Refugee

... Go Steelers Go!!!

Old 01-22-2006, 03:30 PM   #447
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

i heard that the rams were in los angeles at one point. i know, nobody here will believe me, but it is true. I dont expect you to know this, and you may not even believe me, but thats fine, you really don't have to.
Old 01-22-2006, 05:29 PM   #448
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Old 01-22-2006, 05:56 PM   #449
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by StlElevation
i heard that the rams were in los angeles at one point. i know, nobody here will believe me, but it is true. I dont expect you to know this, and you may not even believe me, but thats fine, you really don't have to.
You young'uns can get the history of the LA Rams by renting the movie "Heavan Can Wait" featuring Warren Beatty at your local video store.
Old 01-22-2006, 06:05 PM   #450
War Child

Local Time: 10:24 AM
i see jake plummer's twin has been locked back in his closet & the real jake came out to play this afternoon...