NFL Thread Part Three, Take Two - Page 25 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-18-2006, 03:01 PM   #361
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:53 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by stammer476

Are you serious? A world class athlete should never, ever, ever, ever run out of gas from running 100 yards. Let me know the next time you watch a track meet and the sprinters look gassed after the first 100 meters.
I'm just telling you what Bailey said. Despite the conditioning and everything, they'd been playing for a while by that point, and we all know the air is thinner there.

Old 01-18-2006, 03:03 PM   #362
Blue Crack Addict

Simmon's quotes look like a simple observation to me. That's all.

Old 01-18-2006, 03:08 PM   #363
Refugee

Local Time: 10:53 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by speedracer
Sprinting 100 yards in full equipment after playing one half of football at a mile above sea level is pretty tiring. These guys are built to be football players, not sprinters.
Yes and no. For one, Bailey plays in Denver, trains in Denver, and practices in Denver. I think he's used to the elevation by now.

Second, defensive backs are trained to be fast, and go through a lot of the same training that sprinters do.

Third (and my weakest point), I played football and was a sprinter in track, and in my experience, I was in as equally good of shape in both cases. If anything, I had better lungs for football because of endurance factor and not the "explosiveness" needed for track.

Champ can say whatever he wants, but someone in his position should be able to run 100 yards in the second half of a game without "running out of gas." He slowed because he thought he had it. Dumb move, but I'll forgive him.
Old 01-18-2006, 03:09 PM   #364
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase

as for the pats/rams, the pats had a sizeable lead heading into the 4th quarter. did the refs cause the three ram turnovers? were the refs rigging the game when they called a holding penalty on willie mcginist, negating a fumble recovery that was returned for a touchdown that would have made the game 24-3 in the 4th quarter? please...

and oh yea, i bet on the rams
you obviously didnt read my posts. head official bernie kukar was the only guy in on it, and he spent 5 minutes trying to convince the ref who threw the flag to overturn that holding call.

i provided video of it and everything, sheesh
Old 01-18-2006, 03:09 PM   #365
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by phanan
Simmon's quotes look like a simple observation to me. That's all.
The point is, his argument was based on physics, a factor which won't come into play in officiating without video evidence. Hence, a poor argument.
Old 01-18-2006, 03:19 PM   #366
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:

The point is, his argument was based on physics, a factor which won't come into play in officiating without video evidence. Hence, a poor argument.
His point about bringing in more advanced technology is entirely valid. It is not hard to triangulate the location of the ball from 2 or 3 different videos; the technology to do this certainly exists. (The military certainly has it.)

The issue is really an engineering issue -- packaging everything so that it's not too expensive and so that a ref can operate it and make a call within 90 seconds.

Tennis has sensors for line calls; I wouldn't be surprised if football had something like what Simmons is proposing in 10-20 years.
Old 01-18-2006, 03:21 PM   #367
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Yes and no. For one, Bailey plays in Denver, trains in Denver, and practices in Denver. I think he's used to the elevation by now.

Second, defensive backs are trained to be fast, and go through a lot of the same training that sprinters do.

Third (and my weakest point), I played football and was a sprinter in track, and in my experience, I was in as equally good of shape in both cases. If anything, I had better lungs for football because of endurance factor and not the "explosiveness" needed for track.

Champ can say whatever he wants, but someone in his position should be able to run 100 yards in the second half of a game without "running out of gas." He slowed because he thought he had it. Dumb move, but I'll forgive him.
Well, I was a sprinter as well, and I know the workouts are much different than with football.

But regardless of that, I think he ran out of gas, and that's what he said. He was down on the field for a few minutes recovering, and it was from that, not the hit. So I believe him.

All we're saying is that Watson's play was incredible, and would have been even more so if it was ruled a touchback. That's it.
Old 01-18-2006, 03:22 PM   #368
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

His point about bringing in more advanced technology is entirely valid. It is not hard to triangulate the location of the ball from 2 or 3 different videos; the technology to do this certainly exists. (The military certainly has it.)

The issue is really an engineering issue -- packaging everything so that it's not too expensive and so that a ref can operate it and make a call within 90 seconds.

Tennis has sensors for line calls; I wouldn't be surprised if football had something like what Simmons is proposing in 10-20 years.
Correct, and Belichick has called for a goal-line camera for years now.
Old 01-18-2006, 03:23 PM   #369
Refugee

Quote:

I'm all for increasing the accuracy of calls, but if the refs can't even use video replay correctly, I'm not sure this is going to happen.

Honestly, it all sounds like sour graps from Pats fans. Which, ironically, is both annoying and understandable.
Old 01-18-2006, 03:25 PM   #370
Refugee

Quote:
All we're saying is that Watson's play was incredible, and would have been even more so if it was ruled a touchback. That's it.
And all I'm saying is that it wasn't that incredible, because I would expect any NFL player to hustle and finish out the play, and it's not too hard to catch up to a guy who has slowed down to a walk. That's it.
Old 01-18-2006, 03:27 PM   #371
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Honestly, it all sounds like sour graps from Pats fans. Which, ironically, is both annoying and understandable.
Honestly, it sounds like you are sore when someone talks about a specific play in the game.

Most of us have given the Broncos their credit - they won the game. They didn't screw up like the Patriots did. They deserved it.

Talking about one play and how incredible it was for Watson to catch Bailey, and how much more incredible it would have been if ruled a touchback, doesn't make us sour about it.
Old 01-18-2006, 03:27 PM   #372
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

And all I'm saying is that it wasn't that incredible, because I would expect any NFL player to hustle and finish out the play, and it's not too hard to catch up to a guy who has slowed down to a walk. That's it.
Alrighty then.
Old 01-18-2006, 03:27 PM   #373
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Chizip

you obviously didnt read my posts. head official bernie kukar was the only guy in on it, and he spent 5 minutes trying to convince the ref who threw the flag to overturn that holding call.

i provided video of it and everything, sheesh
i still think you're nuts
Old 01-18-2006, 03:33 PM   #374
Refugee

Quote:

Honesly, it sound like you are sore when someone talks about a specific play in the game.

Most of us have given the Broncos their credit - they won the game. They didn't screw up like the Patriots did. They deserved it.

Talking about one play and how incredible it was for Watson to catch Bailey, and how much more incredible it would have been if ruled a touchback, doesn't make us sour about it.
I'll admit, the post you quoted from came out wrong. One of the things people mistakenly expect from sports fans is that they won't be upset and/or irrational about their own team. Sports is an emotional investment, and when you root for a team, you ARE going to emotional about it.

So what's understandable about the reaction of Pats fans is that I would expect anyone to do what they are doing in their place. It's expected that when you're team loses, you will examine everything that went wrong, make blames, and find whatever good can come from the loss. Everybody does, and I think everyone should do it. It's part of the game.

This is especially true for Pats fans, who haven't been in this position in a while. I'd be dissapointed if you didn't complain.

So I'm not blaming Pats fans. They are doing what they should be doing.

And as a Broncos fan, I think you have to expect that I'm going to disagree with you, especially about the play in question.
Old 01-18-2006, 03:35 PM   #375
Blue Crack Addict

Fair enough.