NFL Thread Part Three, Take Two

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
stammer476 said:

Are you serious? A world class athlete should never, ever, ever, ever run out of gas from running 100 yards. Let me know the next time you watch a track meet and the sprinters look gassed after the first 100 meters.

I'm just telling you what Bailey said. Despite the conditioning and everything, they'd been playing for a while by that point, and we all know the air is thinner there.

speedracer said:
Sprinting 100 yards in full equipment after playing one half of football at a mile above sea level is pretty tiring. These guys are built to be football players, not sprinters.

Yes and no. For one, Bailey plays in Denver, trains in Denver, and practices in Denver. I think he's used to the elevation by now.

Second, defensive backs are trained to be fast, and go through a lot of the same training that sprinters do.

Third (and my weakest point), I played football and was a sprinter in track, and in my experience, I was in as equally good of shape in both cases. If anything, I had better lungs for football because of endurance factor and not the "explosiveness" needed for track.

Champ can say whatever he wants, but someone in his position should be able to run 100 yards in the second half of a game without "running out of gas." He slowed because he thought he had it. Dumb move, but I'll forgive him.

Headache in a Suitcase said:

as for the pats/rams, the pats had a sizeable lead heading into the 4th quarter. did the refs cause the three ram turnovers? were the refs rigging the game when they called a holding penalty on willie mcginist, negating a fumble recovery that was returned for a touchdown that would have made the game 24-3 in the 4th quarter? please...

and oh yea, i bet on the rams :mad:

you obviously didnt read my posts. :tsk: head official bernie kukar was the only guy in on it, and he spent 5 minutes trying to convince the ref who threw the flag to overturn that holding call.

i provided video of it and everything, sheesh

phanan said:
Simmon's quotes look like a simple observation to me. That's all.

The point is, his argument was based on physics, a factor which won't come into play in officiating without video evidence. Hence, a poor argument.

stammer476 said:

The point is, his argument was based on physics, a factor which won't come into play in officiating without video evidence. Hence, a poor argument.

His point about bringing in more advanced technology is entirely valid. It is not hard to triangulate the location of the ball from 2 or 3 different videos; the technology to do this certainly exists. (The military certainly has it.)

The issue is really an engineering issue -- packaging everything so that it's not too expensive and so that a ref can operate it and make a call within 90 seconds.

Tennis has sensors for line calls; I wouldn't be surprised if football had something like what Simmons is proposing in 10-20 years.

stammer476 said:

Yes and no. For one, Bailey plays in Denver, trains in Denver, and practices in Denver. I think he's used to the elevation by now.

Second, defensive backs are trained to be fast, and go through a lot of the same training that sprinters do.

Third (and my weakest point), I played football and was a sprinter in track, and in my experience, I was in as equally good of shape in both cases. If anything, I had better lungs for football because of endurance factor and not the "explosiveness" needed for track.

Champ can say whatever he wants, but someone in his position should be able to run 100 yards in the second half of a game without "running out of gas." He slowed because he thought he had it. Dumb move, but I'll forgive him.

Well, I was a sprinter as well, and I know the workouts are much different than with football.

But regardless of that, I think he ran out of gas, and that's what he said. He was down on the field for a few minutes recovering, and it was from that, not the hit. So I believe him.

All we're saying is that Watson's play was incredible, and would have been even more so if it was ruled a touchback. That's it.

speedracer said:

His point about bringing in more advanced technology is entirely valid. It is not hard to triangulate the location of the ball from 2 or 3 different videos; the technology to do this certainly exists. (The military certainly has it.)

The issue is really an engineering issue -- packaging everything so that it's not too expensive and so that a ref can operate it and make a call within 90 seconds.

Tennis has sensors for line calls; I wouldn't be surprised if football had something like what Simmons is proposing in 10-20 years.

Correct, and Belichick has called for a goal-line camera for years now.

speedracer said:

I'm all for increasing the accuracy of calls, but if the refs can't even use video replay correctly, I'm not sure this is going to happen.

Honestly, it all sounds like sour graps from Pats fans. Which, ironically, is both annoying and understandable.

phanan said:
All we're saying is that Watson's play was incredible, and would have been even more so if it was ruled a touchback. That's it.

And all I'm saying is that it wasn't that incredible, because I would expect any NFL player to hustle and finish out the play, and it's not too hard to catch up to a guy who has slowed down to a walk. That's it. :wink:

stammer476 said:

Honestly, it all sounds like sour graps from Pats fans. Which, ironically, is both annoying and understandable.

Honestly, it sounds like you are sore when someone talks about a specific play in the game.

Most of us have given the Broncos their credit - they won the game. They didn't screw up like the Patriots did. They deserved it.

Talking about one play and how incredible it was for Watson to catch Bailey, and how much more incredible it would have been if ruled a touchback, doesn't make us sour about it.

phanan said:

Honesly, it sound like you are sore when someone talks about a specific play in the game.

Most of us have given the Broncos their credit - they won the game. They didn't screw up like the Patriots did. They deserved it.

Talking about one play and how incredible it was for Watson to catch Bailey, and how much more incredible it would have been if ruled a touchback, doesn't make us sour about it.

I'll admit, the post you quoted from came out wrong. One of the things people mistakenly expect from sports fans is that they won't be upset and/or irrational about their own team. Sports is an emotional investment, and when you root for a team, you ARE going to emotional about it.

So what's understandable about the reaction of Pats fans is that I would expect anyone to do what they are doing in their place. It's expected that when you're team loses, you will examine everything that went wrong, make blames, and find whatever good can come from the loss. Everybody does, and I think everyone should do it. It's part of the game.

This is especially true for Pats fans, who haven't been in this position in a while. I'd be dissapointed if you didn't complain.

So I'm not blaming Pats fans. They are doing what they should be doing.

And as a Broncos fan, I think you have to expect that I'm going to disagree with you, especially about the play in question.

Ref in controversy has house vandalized

NFL referee Pete Morelli is having a rough week.

On Sunday, Morelli made one of the more controversial calls in NFL history, overturning what appeared to be an interception by the Steelers' Troy Polamalu. On Monday, his Stockton, Calif. home was vandalized, according to police reports.

Lieutenant Thomas Wells of the Stockton Police Department told FOXSports.com's Jay Glazer that a police report was filed after a rock was thrown through Morelli's living room window late Monday night after Morelli and his wife had gone to bed. Lt. Wells emphasized that police had no suspect and no motive in the case and could not say with any degree of certainty whether the act of vandalism was related to Sunday's call.

"We are aware of the situation and we're cooperating with police in any way we can," said NFL spokesman Greg Aiello.

On Monday, the NFL admitted that Morelli had erred when he used instant replay to overturn the interception. Mike Pereira, the league's VP of officiating, said in a statement that the call on the field should have stood.

"He maintained possession long enough to establish a catch," Pereira said. "Therefore, the replay review should have upheld the call on the field that it was a catch and fumble."

Fortunately for Morelli — and the Steelers — while the botched call allowed the Colts to eventually pull within a field goal, it ultimately did not play any role in the outcome of the game, which Pittsburgh won, 21-18.

If these events are related, you have to wonder about the mental capacity of the vandal. Seriously, how upset can you be about a call that DIDN'T lose the game for you?

A fan writes in to TMQ:

Nick Johnson of Salt Lake City, Utah, supposes, "I wouldn't put much faith in the Seahawks this weekend. So far this season, Cat teams (Panthers, Jaguars, Lions, Bengals) are 10-1 verses Bird teams (Eagles, Seahawks, Cardinals, Falcons, Ravens). The only Bird victory over a Cat happened on Thanksgiving Day when Atlanta beat Detroit."

This reminds me of that Perfect Strangers episode where Larry has Balki fill out his NFL picks. Buffalo over San Diego -- "no matter how much you keep charging, eventually you have to pay the bills."

speedracer said:
A fan writes in to TMQ:

This reminds me of that Perfect Strangers episode where Larry has Balki fill out his NFL picks. Buffalo over San Diego -- "no matter how much you keep charging, eventually you have to pay the bills."

I don't know whether I'm amazed or horrified that you can recall an episode of Perfect Strangers that well. :wink:

stammer476 said:
This was my personal favorite response, courtesy of the Sports Guy:

Riiiiiiiight. Because, as we all know, it's a prerequisite for any NFL official to have a degree in physics. And it's protocal to use said degree when making a call in every NFL game.

Simmons, you're right. You really, really need to let this go.

I feel like I just read a script for a new Oliver Stone movie.

Though even I admit the calls were bad, it's about time the refs started cheating FOR the Colts instead of against them. If they had won this game it would have been fair payback for the 95-96 AFC Championship the Colts lost at Pittsburgh when there were 2 blatant bad calls where Steelers were all the way out of bounds on the white strip and they called them in anyway. One gave them a touchdown, the other a first down at the 2. Both were CLEARLY out of bounds and probably had a lot to do with instant replay being brought back. Get a tape of the game if you don't believe me. I see a lot of you who used to tell me bad calls didn't hurt anything complaining about the officiating now. I've noticed it for years.

If only Nick Harper's wife had not tried to cut off his leg with a knife, and he didn't have a cut on it, he may have had enough speed and made the end zone........:sigh: I suffer inmmensely.

U2Kitten said:

Yes, this will be my last post here, I see no reason to come back even next season because I never felt welcome or accepted here. I feel I am a good fan and I know a lot about this game, and I'd say I FEEL it and suffer it more than any of you. But most of you only wanted to ridicule and hurt me, and I've had more than my share of that, why set myself up for it here? I tried to reach out and say something nice to Wild Honey, it took a lot to say that, yet she ignored me. So I see I have NO friends here, so it's stupid to still keep coming around, ever.

that was quick.:huh:

U2Kitten said:
If only Nick Harper's wife had not tried to cut off his leg with a knife, and he didn't have a cut on it, he may have had enough speed and made the end zone

That's probably the greatest "if only" I'll ever hear in my life. :wink:

Who tries to cut off a leg anyways? or was she going for something else? :ohmy:

U2Kitten said:
I see a lot of you who used to tell me bad calls didn't hurt anything complaining about the officiating now. I've noticed it for years.

We're discussing the questionable calls, of course. But we're not saying that it caused who won. The Patriots made stupid mistakes all on their own - can't blame the officials for that. And the Colts just couldn't handle the pass rush, or else that game would have been much different.

I do blame Peyton for his ineptitude, for sure. I don't think I've ever said he's perfect, only that I like the Colts and want them to win! See, I never even guaranteed a win or bragged, I said I was worried. I had reason to be! And don't anybody forget that the great Tom Brady probably cost his team a win by throwing that INT to Bailey as they were going in to score. He goofed. It happens. I guess they're all human after all?

Nick Johnson of Salt Lake City, Utah, supposes, "I wouldn't put much faith in the Seahawks this weekend. So far this season, Cat teams (Panthers, Jaguars, Lions, Bengals) are 10-1 verses Bird teams (Eagles, Seahawks, Cardinals, Falcons, Ravens). The only Bird victory over a Cat happened on Thanksgiving Day when Atlanta beat Detroit."

But my parakeet guaranteed a Seabag win.

My cat says bet on the Panthers. I haven't asked the wild birds out at the feeder yet. I would say go for the Broncos because of Jake's cool beard, but I have been too hurt by horse teams to take that chance.

U2Kitten said:
And don't anybody forget that the great Tom Brady probably cost his team a win by throwing that INT to Bailey as they were going in to score. He goofed. It happens. I guess they're all human after all?

Nobody has forgotten. It's been mentioned plenty of times already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom