NFL Superbowl thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
zoney! said:

My least favorite "just call it whatever way suits the patriots" came out of the Vikings game this year. The TE CLEARLY caught the ball and the fumbled it out of bounds. It was called an incomplete pass. The Vikings asked for a review, and the play stood after review. It sucked any momentum the Vikings had...and the game ended up in a blowout.

oh the agony of being a vikings fan

it probably would have been a blowout either way. the vikings just didn't have it this year, man. they need a serious overhaul.

but that's not for this Super Bowl

it's nice to have a Super Bowl with two midwest teams :up:

complaining about a referee call is like comparing fins v. Bears and Colts v. Fins

Hewson said:

So one play would have changed the outcome of a 31-7 annihilation?
I expect this type of drivel from some people here, I usually see better from you.
The Vikings were just bad this year, no amount of help from replay officials could have changed that.

I stated that it ended up in a blowout. It was a momentum-shifting play.

Are we now going to argue that there is no such thing as momentum in sports?

Blowout vs. a game in this situation. The Pats had an ofense this year. The Vikings had trouble scoring against the Packers. Need I say more?

As for the Pats STILL a topic of discussion, I think WHA deserves continued credit here. Afterall, Hewson DID carry the conversation by posting the link. Instigator! :wink:

i like complaining about complaining!

zoney! said:

As for the Pats STILL a topic of discussion, I think WHA deserves continued credit here. Afterall, Hewson DID carry the conversation by posting the link. Instigator! :wink:

Now what am I being given credit for? :angry:

Re: I had a fun day at work ;)

zoney! said:
capt.flad10601300142.super_bowl_colts_arrive_football_flad106.jpg

:drool:

My friend ran all through his neigborhood hooting and hollering and waving one of those after the AFC Championship :rockon:

Isn't this the day the 'Hype' is supposed to begin? I haven't heard a word, what about you guys?

U2Kitten said:
Isn't this the day the 'Hype' is supposed to begin? I haven't heard a word, what about you guys?

I've been watching media day on the NFL network having a blast, personally. There are some joys to working at home....

a_young_old_fan said:

I've been watching media day on the NFL network having a blast, personally. There are some joys to working at home....

I was working out at my school and they had players talking on ESPN News...but the sound was off. :sad: I'm sure funny things were said. I just made up what I wanted them to say.

Like Addai was at the microphone so I guessed he was saying..."If I run up the middle, I'm going to just give the ball to Urlacher because he will hurt me."

Yup, they were funny those Colts. :D

I'm sure Grossman says he's going to throw the ball to someone in white as fast as possible and hope Freeney and Mathis will take pity on him, as well. ;) LOL

phanan said:
I love how all Hewson does is post a link from an article and everyone goes apeshit in here.
You should love this then:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16895833/
Chargers safety Kiel cited for urinating in public

Associated Press Sports
Updated: 8:07 p.m. ET Jan 30, 2007
SAN DIEGO (AP) -Chargers strong safety Terrence Kiel was cited for urinating in public last month, his second run-in with the law in less than three months and the eighth by a San Diego player since April.

Maria Velasquez, spokeswoman for City Attorney Mike Aguirre, confirmed that Kiel was cited and released by police outside a nightclub in the Gaslamp Quarter at 1:50 a.m. on Dec. 18. The case is being reviewed and no charges have been filed yet, Velasquez said. Kiel is scheduled to make a court appearance on Feb. 20.
I wonder if Kiel peed in public cause of Marty Schottenheimer, cause as we learned from "I'm a classy guy" Lad T, it all stems from the head coach.
And the Chargers are a close second to the Bengals apparently with their 8 run-ins with the law in 9 months.

CLASSY!
Ron Burgundy said:
You stay classy San Diego

:wink:

How many more days till the (this spelling is for you MrPryck) Superbowl?

I need to find a few more links.

I'm working my way backwards...by Superbowl Sun Day :wink: I should be at the week where Chunky Soup went down and Sausage Sandwich took over the reigns to the Iggle machine.

Thanks, Hewson. I'm looking forward to the Super Bowl and all, but I'm also looking forward to the NFL getting it's act together someday. They keep rewarding all the current players who keep commiting these dopey crimes. Meanwhile, the NFLPA keeps shitting on all of the retired NFL players who rely on $24,000 a year to help them with their assorted ailments.
Take former Balitmore Colt, John Mackey. He played in Super Bowl V. The only thing he remembers about that game is that scored a TD. If he didn't have a Super Bowl ring, he wouldn't have remembered that his team even won. I could go on and name several former NFL players who have been fucked over by the NFLPA, but according to the current leader of the NFLPA, Gene Upshaw, why bother?
So, on Super Bowl Sunday, when you sit down with your beer and bowl of tortilla chips to watch this year's match-up, take a moment to remember all the guys who participated in the 40 other Super Bowls and helped make the NFL a shitload of money. Most of them probably walk with a limp. Most of them probably had a concussion or three and still played through it. Most of them aren't being properly compensated by the NFL.

to be fair, i've peed outside a bar/nightclub myself.

perhaps not in front of the bar within view of police... but outside none the less.

a friend of mine did decide to pee in front of the bar. a cop was down the street, saw him and drove up. we told him to stop peeing quick, to which he responded with the dumb and dumber line "i can't stop once i start... it stings."

he was given a ticket for disoredly conduct. i LOLed. we have it on video somewhere.

a_young_old_fan said:

Yeah, I don't get to watch TV at work. I saw a little last night. Mostly just joking on the cliches' people expect them to say. There's no trash talking of course. I am disappointed the Colts don't get their blue shirts. They look much cooler like that. But they won SB V in the white ones.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
i'm just glad tank johnson didn't shoot anyone at media day.

Well, there were only other Bears and admiring press there, so we'll never know if he was packing or not. ;)

Anyone else think it's BS with his criminal record that he's allowed to leave the state? I know from my years as a travelling purchasing agent for a construction company that we lost guys for a lot less.

Yeah, I know, but we need something to discuss besides the Pats fans' sour grapes.

a_young_old_fan said:

Yeah, I know, but we need something to discuss besides the Pats fans' sour grapes.

I don't know who has sour grapes? The Pats lost fair and square-they deserved to lose after giving up 18..totally horrific. I think the point of the article was just to show some football news and that the NFL admittingly got the call wrong. The Pats fans on this board said nothing but the Colts/Bears fans are the ones saying the PAts always get calls in their favor. I just made a point that I thought it was funny and kinda pointless that we were still discussing a team THAT LOST after more than a week has gone by. That's all.

NEXT TOPIC!! Yes I think it is bizarre that Tank is allowed to leave the state. How many arrests does the man have? I guess they know where he is right?

a_young_old_fan said:

Instead of blithely replying with "STFU n00b", I will suggest that posters who have been members of the forum for five days show a little more respect to long-standing and well-respected members like Hewson.

the sports guy (hewson) had a pretty funny media day recap, starting with this

Welcome to media day

By Bill Simmons
Page 2

Like so many others here in Miami, I was surprised media day wasn't canceled due to Barbaro's untimely death. It was just too soon. Not only could you see the devastation on just about every reporter's face this morning -- Bonnie Bernstein in particular was an absolute wreck -- but every time someone called media day a "circus," it made me think about animals and I got all choked up. Now I wonder whether America needs more time to heal and we should postpone the game until a week from Sunday, even if I have to spend another week in South Beach. For Barbaro, I would do it.

:uhoh: :giggle: :uhoh:

the rest here

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/mediaday07/part1

speedracer said:

Instead of blithely replying with "STFU n00b", I will suggest that posters who have been members of the forum for five days show a little more respect to long-standing and well-respected members like Hewson.

I missed the part in the forum rules about bowing being required when someone has more posts than you. My sincerest apologies.

I will not, however, apologize for the opinion that complaining about a call a week after the game in a thread that isn't about the game sounds like sour grapes. None of my posts have been attacks or disrepectful, so I don't really understand all the hoopla.

If this is boy's club where only the old fogeys are welcome, just say so, and I'll be gone. I'd forgotten how cliquish the U2 fan base can be.

Last edited:
If complaining a week later is considered sour grapes, how long do I have to complain about something before it becomes sour grapes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom