NFL Superbowl thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
oh, and face guarding is a silly rule, and they got rid of it 'cause it's a silly rule. if a guy doesn't make contact, who gives a crap if he's "playing the ball" or not. one would assume that, as a reciever, you'd prefer it if the person defending you has no idea where the ball is. why have a penalty for stupidity. a better throw and it's a touchdown. if he wasn't face guarding, he probably would have intercepted the pass.

Last edited:
The 'push out' is still sillier. :huh: So he 'would' have come down in bounds IF he wasn't pushed, but he was! Why even have a defense? Yeah, and face guarded guys 'would' catch a pass if they're not face guarded. But the push out is the dumbest, because the guy could still NOT have come down in bounds, could have dropped it, or something. That's why I really don't like the first down at the one 'freebie' on long passes. The guy may not have caught it anyway. WR's drop passes all the time.

Last edited:
Headache in a Suitcase said:
he fell to the ground because he tripped... you can see the change in color of the field turf when his foot got stuck. it's clear as day, and if you can't see it, you're just trying to ignore it.

That's what I say about the shirt grab when he went around him. People do tend to get their feet off balance and fall after they've been grabbed. I'll see if somebody can make me a screen cap of it.

Hewson said:
Look, I just posted the link for clarification that the NFL officials admitted it was a mistake.

You know how to get the thread rockin', don't you. :wink:

Despite what each of one us personally feels about certain rules, the push out is a legitimate rule and the officials made the correct call.

Face guarding is no longer a rule and therefore was an incorrect call.

As for Reggie Wayne supposedly being grabbed, he most certainly tripped and it was not caused by the defender. Watch it again.

And yes, the Patriots have had a number of calls go there way, so what comes around goes around. They lost this game regardless of any calls that may or may not have been made. End of story.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
it's a stupid play by the defender. a better throw and it's a touchdown regardless.

I don't know. I think it's a dumb rule that it's allowed, personally. Why don't DB's just do it all the time when there's a receiver in the corner of the end zone, rather than play the ball? :shrug:

look i haven't been a QB since 8th grade middle school... and that didnt' exactly go well. so all i can base it on is what i know from basketball... and i know that if a defender is face guarding my eyes light up 'cause i know it's gonna be a good day, 'cause the defender could be all over me or a teammate and it doesn't matter, because if the defender can't see the ball, the player is, in fact, wide open, and if you throw a good pass the only way the defender can stop it is out of pure dumb luck.

U2Kitten said:

I thought any time you didn't make a play for the ball, it was interference?
And you thought wrong.
Myself, Headache and speedracer as I noted all made mention of this after the game. Phil Simms was wrong, the officials were wrong and the NFL admitted it.
Pass interference requires contact and/or impeding the receiver's route, none of which happened on that Hobbs/Wayne play in the end zone, we should still be in the 175th overtime as we speak.

Last edited:
DaveC said:

One thing they taught us in ice hockey referee school is to NEVER admit that you botched a call. It makes you look like you don't know the rules and gives rowdy coaches, players and fans fodder for insults. At the very worst if you knew you fucked up a call you'd tell the coach you were sorry but you either called it like you saw it or didn't see it (even if you did).

For a referee to openly admit he blew a call is pretty risky. For the NFL to say one of their referees blew a call is even worse. If my Referee-in-Chief had ever publicly said I blew a call in a game I'd never work for him again. The NFL seems to be undermining its own officials.

Those days should have been over with the proliferation of sports on video, and they definitely are over with the explosion of the Internet, YouTube and DVR. Maybe 20 years ago officials and leagues could do this, but now if you make a mistake, everyone will know about it. It would be a far bigger blow to the officials' and league's credibility to deny that a mistake happened.

As an example, is anybody happy with the way MLB handled the incident with the gunk on Kenny Rogers's hand?

Last edited:
No, that was a major fuck up by MLB. Rogers should've been tossed from the game. He shouldn't have been given the chance to wipe it off.

Whether it's legal or not, I still think it ought to be a penalty. Not on the level of a DPI (ie down to the one), maybe 5 or 10 yards or something. Once you're resorting to leaping and hoping the ball whacks you in the back, you don't deserve to kill the down.

ETA: Kenny Rogers :down: I was rooting for the Tigers in the CS and WS, but I lost a lot of respect for him (the near-zero amount I had left for K-Rog after the cameraman incident) in these past playoffs. He got caught cheating and just barely got away with it thanks to luck. Instead of claiming it was "dirt" and looking like a liar to the entire planet, if he'd owned up to it and paid the fine I think he would have been a lot better off.

Last edited:
If I'm the coach and my defender does that and successfully blocks the ball, you can be sure I'd tell him he did a good job. Bottom Line: You're just not supposed to touch the guy. It's ok if you block the ball with your body. The gamble is on not having you eye on the ball. It's a fair and legal play and has been done for years. It's just not reccomended by coaches on how to defend a pass.

hmm... it always sucks when refs later admit to making a bad call, because there's nothing that can be done about it. it's like "oops...my bad, oh well" it can only bring so much satisfaction to fans of the wronged team, because the outcome of the game isn't changed

still, you can't say the pats would have won if the call wasn't made. it would have only increased their chances very slightly. questionable calls get made a lot, it's just part of the game :shrug:

AtomicBono said:
hmm... it always sucks when refs later admit to making a bad call, because there's nothing that can be done about it. it's like "oops...my bad, oh well" it can only bring so much satisfaction to fans of the wronged team, because the outcome of the game isn't changed

still, you can't say the pats would have won if the call wasn't made. it would have only increased their chances very slightly. questionable calls get made a lot, it's just part of the game :shrug:

And as mentioned before, it's not like the Pats didn't benefit from plenty of bad calls against the Colts in the past. (and non calls against the Pat DBs)

Last edited:
Was that a Patriot fan bitching about a MLB call that went AGAINST the Yankees? The world is crumbling. :wink:

phanan said:

And yes, the Patriots have had a number of calls go there way, so what comes around goes around. They lost this game regardless of any calls that may or may not have been made. End of story.

:up:

My least favorite "just call it whatever way suits the patriots" came out of the Vikings game this year. The TE CLEARLY caught the ball and the fumbled it out of bounds. It was called an incomplete pass. The Vikings asked for a review, and the play stood after review. It sucked any momentum the Vikings had...and the game ended up in a blowout.

zoney! said:

My least favorite "just call it whatever way suits the patriots" came out of the Vikings game this year. The TE CLEARLY caught the ball and the fumbled it out of bounds. It was called an incomplete pass. The Vikings asked for a review, and the play stood after review. It sucked any momentum the Vikings had...and the game ended up in a blowout.

That is an example of how bad calls can really change the outcome of a game and take the wind out of the sails of the opponents. I have seen it happen so many times, usually in favor of the Pats or "Smellboys."

I still swear I saw some arm contact on that call...but if it was indeed a bad call, that's karma baby. I don't feel one bit of sorrow for the Pats at all. If it was any other team in the NFL I would be posting some sympathy, but let's face it. The NFL has played to the Pats for far too long.

U2Kitten said:

That is an example of how bad calls can really change the outcome of a game and take the wind out of the sails of the opponents. I have seen it happen so many times, usually in favor of the Pats or "Smellboys."

I would consider that example an instance of a team having a poor mental attitude and folding. You lose 20-3 or 31-7, you have no room to pin anything on the refs.

In the Colts game, the Pats probably felt like they got hosed, but they shook it off and took the lead back on the very next possession. Unfortunately they got outplayed by the Colts at the end of the game.

Last edited:
I had a fun day at work ;)

capt.flad10601300142.super_bowl_colts_arrive_football_flad106.jpg

:drool:

We're less than a week away, so put past all of that bullshit that happened in the playoffs and focus on the big game. Who gives a shit what the ref's did or didn't call? The Super Bowl is here! Colts vs Bears! I'm no Colts fan, but I'm rooting for Peyton. I hope he goes to Disney World.

zoney! said:

So one play would have changed the outcome of a 31-7 annihilation?
I expect this type of drivel from some people here, I usually see better from you.
The Vikings were just bad this year, no amount of help from replay officials could have changed that.

I think it is funny that the Pats have been out of the playoffs now for a full week and people are still bringing up how they are favored and always get calls to go there way. Seems to me that this Superbowl just can't be all that interesting.

That's because no one gives a shit until Super Bowl Sunday.
Bottom Line: The Pats are out of it. The NFL ain't gonna give the Pats a do-ver.

ljclary said:
I think it is funny that the Pats have been out of the playoffs now for a full week and people are still bringing up how they are favored and always get calls to go there way. Seems to me that this Superbowl just can't be all that interesting.

Or that the East Coast is pissy that they're not involved in the Super Bowl and they have to find a way to make it still about them. :huh:

Whining about blown calls is about the lamest thing a sports fan can do upon his/her favorite team losing. It happens to everyone, and, probably happened to both teams in the game you're referring to. Let it go, you lost.

Fuck the Patriots already and let's look forward to what hopefully will be an entertaining Super Bowl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom