NFL Superbowl thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
U2Kitten said:

I am not making fun of the Cubs. I hate baseball in general because it's so dull IMO compared to foot and basket, but I have always felt sorry for the Cubs. That thing where the fan stole the ball and ruined the game and they lost must have been right up there with most devastating sports moments ever.

I'm sorry, I can't leave this alone. Steve Bartman did not lose that game for the Cubs. Mr. "I pee on my hands" Alou made a scene when he probably wasn't going to catch that ball anyway. Let's not forget how many runs Prior gave up that inning or that Alex Gonzalez booted the double play ball or that good old Dusty didn't go get his boy when he was imploding. I don't think any real Cubs fan believes that Steve Bartman lost Game 6.[/2003 nlcs rant]

I really don't trash talk all that well. :) I believe the Colts are good and I believe the Bears are good. I believe the Bears can beat the Colts. There are some people who want to give you 84739 reasons why the Colts will whoop the Bears ass and I say, "Go ahead." It's not going to make me change what I believe. :)

U2Kitten. I did note that you meant your Colt's board. But I thought it just might be a plea for someone to trash talk. :D And I'll always bite when it comes to talking up my Bears.

And about the Cubs. NSW and U2Kitten. Feel free to bash them as much as you want to. I was really kidding about how I can't take it on 2 boards. You guys are fine. Rip away!

Not you though WHA...;)

WildHoneyAlways said:

I'm sorry, I can't leave this alone. Steve Bartman did not lose that game for the Cubs. Mr. "I pee on my hands" Alou made a scene when he probably wasn't going to catch that ball anyway. Let's not forget how many runs Prior gave up that inning or that Alex Gonzalez booted the double play ball or that good old Dusty didn't go get his boy when he was imploding. I don't think any real Cubs fan believes that Steve Bartman lost Game 6.[/2003 nlcs rant]

Yup. You hit the nail on the head. Bartman is a great Cubs fan who did what any fan would have done in the same seat. Alex Gonzales is my least favorite baseball player ever.

Oh, and not to mention we had an entire game the next day we could have won. I've never seen such a bunch of cry babies. Woe is me. And then that next year was the end of it for me. Let's blame announcers for our troubles. :mad:

Last edited:
Amen to dropping the whole Bartman thing. Enough. So many other chances to win that game and the series. Dusty Baker had more to do with the Cubs losing that series than some fan.

WHA has never been more correct. :)

I still don't know why it always has to be someone "choking". Is every bad performance in a big game a choke? If Johan Santana pitches a shutout in a playoff game, did the batters on the opposing team choke, or did they just run into a dominant pitcher who was on his game that day. And, again, maybe if Manning has a bad game, it's because the Bears really played well and were well coached/prepared.

Got Philk? said:
U2Kitten. I did note that you meant your Colt's board. But I thought it just might be a plea for someone to trash talk. :D And I'll always bite when it comes to talking up my Bears.

Nope, I really don't want trash talking, I hate it. I think because Tony and Lovie are such good friends, we'll get none from the players.

And about the Cubs. NSW and U2Kitten. Feel free to bash them as much as you want to. I was really kidding about how I can't take it on 2 boards. You guys are fine. Rip away!

Not you though WHA...;)

I really, really don't want to make fun of them, I really do feel sorry for them. I DO believe Bartman spoiled their karma that day, or at least gave them a negative attitude that led to their loss that they wouldn't have had if it hadn't have happened.

No spoken words said:
I still don't know why it always has to be someone "choking". Is every bad performance in a big game a choke?

When it's done repeatedly over the course of multiple years, yes.

Pretty much, when a team loses, I would think that someone has choked. If a QB throws an INT, then that QB has choked. If a Safety gets burned on a long pass for a TD, he has choked. If the holder botches the snap on a FG attempt, that is a choke.

MrPryck2U said:
Pretty much, when a team loses, I would think that someone has choked. If a QB throws an INT, then that QB has choked. If a Safety gets burned on a long pass for a TD, he has choked. If the holder botches the snap on a FG attempt, that is a choke.

Yeah, I just don't see it that way. Sometimes, just lose. Sometimes, an interception occurs because a DB makes a great play, not because someone messed up.

Last edited:
http://www.patriots.com/news/index.cfm?ac=latestnewsdetail&pid=23945&pcid=41

1/26/07

League official admits: a bad call was made Kyle Psaty

Rewind to the third quarter of last Sunday’s AFC Championship game, when Patriots cornerback Ellis Hobbs was flagged for pass interference.

It’s a second-and-seven play on the Patriots 19-yard line. Peyton Manning sets up behind center, checks the coverage and calls for the snap. He takes a three step drop and fires the football into the end zone, aimed for wideout Reggie Wayne, who’s given Ellis Hobbs the slip and is streaking down the sideline for a touchdown catch.

But Hobbs stays with the Colts No. 2 receiver. He closes on Wayne, chopping his feet to avoid bumping into the wideout, a sure penalty since his back is to the passer. Wayne’s eyes widen, indicating the ball is on its way. Free from contact, Hobbs jumps up but doesn’t turn to look for the football, which strikes Hobbs’ left biceps from behind and falls to the turf dead.

Penalty flags fly, and referee Bill Carollo turns on his mic to let everyone know that the penalty’s on the “Defense. Automatic first down. The ball will be placed at the 1-yard line.” Manning hits former Patriot Dan Klecko for a 1-yard touchdown pass. A two-point conversion follows, tying it 21-21.

“Face-guarding,” said CBS analyst and former Giants quarterback Phil Simms during the replay. “Ellis Hobbs jumps up, just tries to get in the way of Reggie Wayne. Does not see the football. Does not play it. Easy call.”

Not so, according to replay official Dean Blandino, who joined Bob Boylston in the booth that day.

In a recent posting by Vic Ketchman, Jaguars.com senior editor, Ketchman responded to a fan’s posting about the play, writing, “You are absolutely correct. Face-guarding was discontinued several years ago and I completely missed it.”

Apparently, Ketchman had already responded to questions about the play, attributing the call to face-guarding just like Simms and countless fans across the nation who tuned in to watch the most viewed AFC Championship game in over 20 years.
There is no NFL rule against face-guarding.

“I talked to Dean Blandino in the league office and he confirmed what you’re saying,” wrote Ketchman. “Ellis Hobbs should not have been flagged for pass-interference. He didn’t make contact with the receiver and in no way did Hobbs impede Reggie Wayne’s ability to catch the pass. Blandino confirmed that the incorrect call was made. … Referee Bill Carollo made no reference to face-guarding in his explanation, but CBS analyst Phil Simms did. Apparently, he, too, doesn’t know the rule no longer exists. The next time you hear a TV analyst say, ‘he wasn’t playing the ball,’ think of the Hobbs play, then turn down the sound.”

Oh, come on.

He wasn't even ATTEMPTING to play the ball. You can't just leap in front of a receiver spread-eagle and hope the ball whacks you in the back.

If you're a defensive back and that's what you have to resort to to defend a receiver, you've been beaten. You deserve to be scored on anyways.

If there's not a rule against this, there should be one - ASAP.

zoney! said:

Makes up for hundreds of calls I have seen go the Pats way over the last few years (including no calls).

Yeah, like the last championship game, and the Super Bowl against the Rams. Charlie Casserly said in a TV interview Bill Polian was so upset by the non calls on the Pats' DBs he brought it up at the meeting of the competition committee and asked for changes. The Rams also complained. The Pats DBs got away with more cheating with non calls than anyone except the Cowboy recievers of the 90's. Irvin consistently pushed off but was almost never called, yet when he missed a pass, all he had to do was do a limp wristed flag tossing motion and the officials complied. :mad:

And speaking of 'bad calls', what about the call in this year's game where the Pat DB pulled Wayne to the ground by the jersey and they said he wasn't interfered with?

DaveC said:
Oh, come on.

He wasn't even ATTEMPTING to play the ball. You can't just leap in front of a receiver spread-eagle and hope the ball whacks you in the back.

If you're a defensive back and that's what you have to resort to to defend a receiver, you've been beaten. You deserve to be scored on anyways.

If there's not a rule against this, there should be one - ASAP.
Look, I just posted the link for clarification that the NFL officials admitted it was a mistake.
He didn't play the ball...so what... thats not a penalty, making contact with the receiver is a penalty...Hobbs made zero contact with Wayne. He deflected the ball away, there is no faceguarding rule, what he did was perfectly legit. Had he impeded Wayne's route in any way, then it would be a penalty.

Just to use a U2Kitten terminology...the Colts cheated!:wink:

U2Kitten said:

And speaking of 'bad calls', what about the call in this year's game where the Pat DB pulled Wayne to the ground by the jersey and they said he wasn't interfered with?
You mean the play where Wayne tripped over his own feet? C'mon you're grasping now.

And lets not forget Reche Caldwell getting mugged in the end zone by David which wasn't called in the 4th quarter.

The reason the link was posted was mainly to justify what some of those who understand the game had posted back on 1/22:

Hewson said:
(the faceguarding PI call was BS cause Hobbs never contacted Wayne), .

Headache in a Suitcase said:

that pass interference penalty in the endzone that setup the 1st and goal from the 1 yard line... that was a complete BS penalty. it can't be pass interference if no contact was made, and no contact was made. .

Originally posted by speedracer
The pass interference calls (the one on Ellis Hobbs for faceguarding, and the one not called when the Indy DB shoved Reche Caldwell) were atrocious,

Last edited:
Hewson said:
Look, I just posted the link for clarification that the NFL officials admitted it was a mistake.
He didn't play the ball...so what... thats not a penalty, making contact with the receiver is a penalty...Hobbs made zero contact with Wayne. He deflected the ball away, there is no faceguarding rule, what he did was perfectly legit. Had he impeded Wayne's route in any way, then it would be a penalty.

Just to use a U2Kitten terminology...the Colts cheated!:wink:

Technically it may be legal but that doesn't mean it's not a stupid rule.

As others have said, it has been going the Pats' way for the last few years now so it's about time the trend reversed.

I think the fact that any official would confess and say that they goofed is a joke. Big deal, they admit they fucked up. It still doesn't change anything. The call stood and the Colts won the game. Why bring it up and make the officials look even more foolish?

MrPryck2U said:
I think the fact that any official would confess and say that they goofed is a joke. Big deal, they admit they fucked up. It still doesn't change anything. The call stood and the Colts won the game. Why bring it up and make the officials look even more foolish?

One thing they taught us in ice hockey referee school is to NEVER admit that you botched a call. It makes you look like you don't know the rules and gives rowdy coaches, players and fans fodder for insults. At the very worst if you knew you fucked up a call you'd tell the coach you were sorry but you either called it like you saw it or didn't see it (even if you did).

For a referee to openly admit he blew a call is pretty risky. For the NFL to say one of their referees blew a call is even worse. If my Referee-in-Chief had ever publicly said I blew a call in a game I'd never work for him again. The NFL seems to be undermining its own officials.

Hewson said:
You mean the play where Wayne tripped over his own feet? C'mon you're grasping now.

No actually the DB was grasping the shirt. You can see it on the replay. He fell to the ground because he was grabbed by the shirt.

And back to the face guarding, it looked like a basketball play! I'd never seen anything like it in football. I thought any time you didn't make a play for the ball, it was interference?

he fell to the ground because he tripped... you can see the change in color of the field turf when his foot got stuck. it's clear as day, and if you can't see it, you're just trying to ignore it.

when you get pulled from behind, you normally don't fall flat on your face. you tend to fall backwards. wayne fell flat on his face, and then the feet got tangled.

later in the same game, wayne again tripped on the field turf without being touched. perhaps he had some cleat issues that he should attempt to get fixed before miami.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom