NFL Superbowl thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No spoken words said:
something tells me this one will at least be close.

I really don't think so.
The game will probably look like this:

Bears try to establish the run (unsuccessfully) while the Colts put up 10 in the first quarter via a couple long passes down field. Grossman is forced to throw shorter passes while Colts rack up more points in the second. In the second half, Bears try to run again (unsuccessfully) then force Grossman to throw deep. Interceptions ensue. Colts have a huge lead going into the 4th quarter. In the 4th, the Colts get to Grossman and force a fumble or two while Addai and Rhodes run out the clock.

The Bears have three weaknesses:
1. The D can give up deep passes in the secondary. The Colts wideouts can get past the safeties.
2. Their running game will have no shot against the Colts. The Patriots had early success by playing out the shotgun. Benson and Jones do not have the speed or cutback ability to be successfully from the shoutgun.
3. Rex Grossman wants to go deep when the weakness of a Cover 2 is the chance of openings in the middle of the field between the linebackers and safeties. Grossman is not a patient Quarterback. This will be ultimately be the downfall of the Bears.

randhail said:

No matter how good Calvin Johnson is I'd be weary of taking a receiver that high. It seems like a lot of them don't live up to potential or are just nutjobs. .
Calvin Johnson may be the exception to every rule though...incredible talent, plus a very intelligent guy already has his name on a patent. Pats have no shot at moving up to get him however, it would take a Ditka move to get there I think and Belichick and Pioli certainly won't do that.

Hewson said:
I believe just the opposite, that Jones will have a huge day.

Sure, just like Larry Johnson, Jamaal Lewis and Corey Dillon :yawn: He didn't even have that big of a game against the Saints until the end, and really if it weren't snowing the Saints would have done much better (of course I know it WAS snowing, and that's why you fight for home field advantage, but it won't be snowing in Miami.)

I can't believe the Colts would let down their run defense now that they've found it, and it is the Super Bowl after all.

As Screwtape said, the Pats had success early, but then the Colts figured it out. Dungy said they expected something new to be thrown at them and they had to see what it was and find a way to work against it. He said he hoped they could weather the storm and not get too far behind while they did that. (and he was prophetic) I really don't think there's anything the Bears can do that the Colts can't counter, and the Colts' offense is superior. The only danger I see is stupid mistakes, but surely now that they've made the SB so dramatically they won't let that happen.

Peyton has overcome his choke artist label and gotten the monkey off his back (though he does need to win the Super Bowl to finally do that, it's a big thing that he made it) while Grossman has a 50/50 chance of sucking at any time and that's worse than just choking. But anyway it doesn't matter what we say, the teams will decide it on the field. I hope the Colts can do it!

One good thing, since the coaches are such good friends I doubt we'll hear ANY trash talking.

Right...I understand completely if the Monkey is the Pats. But like i said, that was a hump to get over yes, but this is the Biggest game of his career. And I'm sorry if I don't speak like everyone else, but I don't think the Bears are just gonna give it to them.

Maybe I have too much faith. But I can't see this offense doing much more than they did vs. Baltimore. 15 points. Rex could have 3 good drives all day and get thos points. See what I am saying?

I just made myself more excited. :drool:

based on the level of talent at the skill positions of the two teams AND the fact that the AFC completely dominated the NFC in regular season play this year, this game should not be close. the colts should win in a landslide.

if the colts lose, the choke artist noose will be back around peyton's neck. the colts are by far the better team. win and he's cemented in history as one of the greatest QB's to ever play... lose and he's still a choke artist who had one great half.

fair or not, that's how it is.

The game has a variety of ways it could play out...

1. The Bears D dominates, Rex plays well and Bears win a low scoring game

B. Colts exploit the Bears D who miss Harris and Brown, Rex forces the ball trying to trade points and the Colts win an unholy romp.

Thirdly: Both offenses click and we have a shootout, last team with ball wins

Quatorce: Both defenses dominate, we have a low scoring tight battle and a critical turnover decides the game.

Plus a few other scenarios.

I don't see the Bears blowing the Colts out, but could see the Colts blowing the Bears out. A lot depends on how the key players(most notably the QB's of course) react to the big stage. We've seen that a cool, calm QB (Montana, Brady) can lead his team to victory in a tight battle on the big stage and we've seen an anxious, nervous QB (McNabb, O'Donnell) can cost his team a chance in a close game.

If I'm a Bears fan, I'm a bit uneasy since Rex has a serious Jeckyll/Hyde persona, and has shown tendencies (worrying about his New Year's Eve partying, needing 3 timouts in a row) to have his head in other places.

If I'm a Colts fan, I feel a bit better about Manning after last Sunday, but then I remember his last name, and realize he's Archie's son and Eli's brother and the possibility of collapsing under pressure of the spotlight and the Bears D line still exists.

Its an intriguing game, probably impossible to predict how it will play out until we see the first few possessions...the Colts are favored for a reason, AFC is superior conference, and the Colts have more balnce on offense...but the Bears' D can be the equalizer. I think Urlacher holds the key...if he were a Patriot, no way Dallas Clark gets 137 rec yds, and with the job Samuel and Hobbs did on Harrison and Wayne, the outcome is different. The Colts took advantage of the middle against the Pats, it shouldn't be as easy against the Bears, so I think the Colts will need to attack the Bears' corners more than they did the Pats'.

My head says Colts 31 Bears 20, but something in my gut tells me the Bears have a better shot than many think.
I hate the 2 week layoff.

The Colts should really run away with this game, but I certainly wouldn't be shocked if the Bears pulled the upset. They know they are the underdogs, and for the next 10 days all they are going to hear about is Manning, Manning, and Manning. You thought all the commercials were bad enough, but just wait. It's going to be the Manning show 24/7, and I have a feeling that is going to get under the Bears' skin.

the only chance the bears have is if they can create multiple turnovers and get a few key special teams plays.

on the whole i still find the bears D to be over-rated. the one area where they excel is in creating turnovers. you can move the ball on them as long as you play clean and don't force any stupid throws.

if the colts play a clean, turnover free game, i don't think the bears can compete. if they can get pressure on the QB and force pey pey into some bad throws, get a big return out of hester, and bad rex stays by lake michigan, then they certainly have a chance.

Last edited:
The AFC Championship game between the Patriots and Colts on Sunday night averaged 46.7 million viewers, up 20 percent from last season's title game, CBS announced.

The 46.7 million total was the highest number of average viewers for the AFC Championship game since the Patriots-Dolphins drew 47.5 million viewers Jan. 12, 1986.

In addition, the 46.7 million viewers made the AFC Championship the most-watched non-Super Bowl program since the series finale of “Friends” on NBC (52.5 million, May 6, 2004), according to CBS.

“Few things stand the test of time in today’s television environment like the NFL,” said Sean McManus, President CBS News & Sports, in a statement. “To reach viewership numbers that have not been reached in more than 20 years really builds great momentum for our team heading into the Super Bowl."

Headache in a Suitcase said:
the only chance the bears have is if they can create multiple turnovers and get a few key special teams plays.

on the whole i still find the bears D to be over-rated. the one area where they excel is in creating turnovers. you can move the ball on them as long as you play clean and don't force any stupid throws.

First, I guess that the turnovers would be something that makes this defense so good.

And second. You're absolutely right. The Bears D never stuffed Seattle on 3rd and short in that first game of the playoffs. And man did Deuce look amazing in that last game. Brees too for that matter.

:|

Oh, and please throw out the time out argument against Rex.

If you are talking about the play where he tried to call a second time out, it was because the offensive coordinator called a play, and then sent out the wrong players. Rex noticed this, tried to call timeout, but when he couldn't, Rex changed the play that got them a touchdown.

Sounds like Rex's head may have been more in-tune than what it seemed...

U2Kitten said:
Peyton has overcome his choke artist label and gotten the monkey off his back (though he does need to win the Super Bowl to finally do that, it's a big thing that he made it)

The monkey will not be off his back if he doesn't win the Super Bowl. They said it would be off the Eagles after making it, but it wasn't and still isn't. Yeah, they got past it, so what. They crumbled after that. It meant nothing. The same most likely will apply here. Peyton needs the ring. He knows he needs it. That's just as much pressure.

Guys I haven't had a chance to peruse the whole thread so I don't know if this has been brought up already.

What do you think of the two week spread between conference championship games and the Super Bowl? I find it maddening and annoying. It's too long a wait. There's too much sustained hype for my taste.

Play the game already!

Got Philk? said:
But the Pats D is not Bear's D.

You're right, the Bears D ranked 5th in the NFL giving up 294.1 yards per game, the Pats D ranked 6th in the NFL giving up 294.4 yards per game (against tougher competition)

Those .3 yards per game means the Bear's D is much more dominant.

Chizip said:

You're right, the Bears D ranked 5th in the NFL giving up 294.1 yards per game, the Pats D ranked 6th in the NFL giving up 294.4 yards per game (against tougher competition)

Those .3 yards per game means the Bear's D is much more dominant.
I'll let you look it up. Who got more take aways?

Phil, it is also worth noting that the Bears D allowed 15.9 points per game....which is great. However, the Pats D allowed 14.8. Both are/were great defenses. Pats lacked depth, though, and it caught up with them to a certain extent in the 2nd half. Bears have sustained a few key injuries on D, hopefully for you, that will not come back to haunt them...it didn't vs. The Saints, at least.

As for the layoff, I think most fans prefer to not have the 2 week stretch, I know I do, but, I understand the NFL's rationale.

No spoken words said:
Bears have sustained a few key injuries on D, hopefully for you, that will not come back to haunt them...it didn't vs. The Saints, at least.

Well, the Saints do not really have a very good offense. They only beat the Eagles because the Eagles defense absolutely sucks. You saw Deuce just running over people. Not because of him. Because the Eagles are about as bad a tackling team as has ever made the playoffs.

The Saints play a good D, they do not do well.

I'll argue this point. The Saints apparently had a decent offense since theirs produced the most yardage of any offense in the league.

Now, the point could be made that they did this in the weaker NFC. Where the Colts obviously, in the AFC.

BonoManiac said:
Guys I haven't had a chance to peruse the whole thread so I don't know if this has been brought up already.

What do you think of the two week spread between conference championship games and the Super Bowl? I find it maddening and annoying. It's too long a wait. There's too much sustained hype for my taste.

Play the game already!

It's good for people who want to attend the game, horrible for everyone else.

phillyfan26 said:

The monkey will not be off his back if he doesn't win the Super Bowl. They said it would be off the Eagles after making it, but it wasn't and still isn't. Yeah, they got past it, so what. They crumbled after that. It meant nothing. The same most likely will apply here. Peyton needs the ring. He knows he needs it. That's just as much pressure.

Oh I know! That's how it is, especially with the media. To me after so much suffering I am so happy just to see them there, and know that their helmet will forever be on that list of "History of The Super Bowl".

Of course I hope they win it all! I know they can, they just have to do it. I have nothing against the Bears, and really I have always thought of Chicago (Philly too!) as one of the best cities for good fans and they deserve this too. But the Colts are my team and I want them to win.

Got Philk? said:
Oh, and please throw out the time out argument against Rex.

If you are talking about the play where he tried to call a second time out, it was because the offensive coordinator called a play, and then sent out the wrong players. Rex noticed this, tried to call timeout, but when he couldn't, Rex changed the play that got them a touchdown.

Sounds like Rex's head may have been more in-tune than what it seemed...
Ah no, they settled for a field goal, after having first and goal at the 3.

one thing I haven't heard mentioned is that Grossman(fla)/Manning(tenn) & tenn hasn't beaten Fla in the Big ONE!!

Thankfully I don't have to hear anymore about the patsies from the east coast...also why doesn't the NFL Dress Code apply to their coach, he looks like a homeless person in that POS sweatshirt?

My brother brought me the Indianapolis paper, and there's a story in there about the other players celebrating but noticing Peyton wasn't really doing much of it. They said he was holding it for the big game, he knew he had one more to go, maybe to prove himself (Though making the SB is a big thing for him really). I hope he'll be celebrating then, he deserves it after all the worrying he's done over it.

Imarocker said:
one thing I haven't heard mentioned is that Grossman(fla)/Manning(tenn) & tenn hasn't beaten Fla in the Big ONE!!

Thankfully I don't have to hear anymore about the patsies from the east coast...also why doesn't the NFL Dress Code apply to their coach, he looks like a homeless person in that POS sweatshirt?
How about them Lions:wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom