NFL Superbowl thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did it not seem like Nance was having a big O that PM was finally making it to the big game while Phil Simms continually informed the Colts box that "maybe they should review that play!" ???

Assholes.

individuals know who they are...and they are not around - and WERE around

Phanam...comments from prior thread not for you, or speedracer or Hewson!

Or, for that matter, for the individuals who have provided congrats.

Mr. BAW said:
Did it not seem like Nance was having a big O that PM was finally making it to the big game while Phil Simms continually informed the Colts box that "maybe they should review that play!" ???

Assholes.

I fear that that is who we will be stuck with in the Super Bowl.

...and knowing the layout of the RCA Dome, there is no link to the broadcast booth and the Colts box. Further, the TV broadcast is about five or six seconds behind. the team boxes would have reviewed the in-stadium shots of the game to make the determination to review a play. AND, the review warranted nothing for the Colts. :wink:

I liked the two refs that called that touchdown after their short conference. Simultaneous "push out" and "touchdown" calls!

zoney! said:

I fear that that is who we will be stuck with in the Super Bowl.

...and knowing the layout of the RCA Dome, there is no link to the broadcast booth and the Colts box. Further, the TV broadcast is about five or six seconds behind. the team boxes would have reviewed the in-stadium shots of the game to make the determination to review a play. AND, the review warranted nothing for the Colts. :wink:

I liked the two refs that called that touchdown after their short conference. Simultaneous "push out" and "touchdown" calls!
No problem with the refs or how the Pats lost the game on their own...my problem is with the bias commentary that each provided the Colts...thought I was listening to Brent Musberger!

Mr. BAW said:
..thought I was listening to Brent Musberger!

only on Cccccccccccccccccc-B-S.

I am NOT looking forward to the CBS broadcast.

I loved Simms as a Giants QB. He gave me a lot to cheer for as a teenager in NJ. As an analyst...he bugs me.

I may have to listen to the local radio broadcast over the TV.

zoney! said:

I saw that too, they looked like they were doing the hokey pokey! :laugh:

Well Congrats to the Colts and Da Bears and all their fans, especially those here on this board.

Some game last night, can't say I'm happy with the outcome, but Indy and Peyton finally stepped up and won a big game, and in dramatic fashion after trailing by 18. Tha Pats D was severely worn out, and when there's a guy (Baker) who me and my buddies all have never seen on the field playing DB in the title game, you know you're in some trouble against that offense. Why didn't Troy Brown get some work on defense instead? The Pats' corners, Hobbs and Samuel played very well against Wayne and Harrison(the faceguarding PI call was BS cause Hobbs never contacted Wayne), the Pats were burned by inability to cover the slot, backs on circle routes and tight ends(Clark getting 137 yards was the real difference)...Urlacher may be the Bears only hope.

One strategic question I posed at the end of the game...after the 2 minute warning, when the Colts ran on 1st down, the Pats didn't call timeout (having 3), let the clock tick an extra 40 seconds off, then used a TO on 2nd down. If they use one on both 1st and 2nd, there'd be 1:40 rather than 1:00 when the Colts scored...possible with more time that Brady doesn't force the last pass and get picked...but alas we'll never know...but the strategy to hold the timeout for offense befuddles me since you can stop the clock with a spike on offense.

As for game 1: The Saints practicing indoors had to have affected the game, regardless of what Sean Payton says. If I'm a Bears fan, I am happy with 21 of my starters...problem is guy #22 is Sexy Rexy. To me the 2 consecutive timeouts (which btw came immediately following an official's injury timeout so it was like 3 consecutive TO's) showed me that Rex was nervous and the pressure was getting to him. The pressure will only mount in 2 weeks. Bears only chance is to run the ball down the Colts' throats, if Rex is forced to be a factor, the Colts romp.

Lets hope the Bears at least make it a decent game...I doubt the Superbowl (spelling for Headache and Zoney) will match the excitement of the Pats/Colts game, or even the Pats/Bolts or Bears/Seahags games...but hopefully I'm wrong.

Hewson said:
One strategic question I posed at the end of the game...after the 2 minute warning, when the Colts ran on 1st down, the Pats didn't call timeout (having 3), let the clock tick an extra 40 seconds off, then used a TO on 2nd down. If they use one on both 1st and 2nd, there'd be 1:40 rather than 1:00 when the Colts scored...possible with more time that Brady doesn't force the last pass and get picked...but alas we'll never know...but the strategy to hold the timeout for offense befuddles me since you can stop the clock with a spike on offense.

I was thinking the same thing. You knew the Colts were at least going to get the FG, so why not preserve as much time as possible to try and come back for the game winner?

Now that I've had time and sleep to digest this game, perhaps the biggest moment came not in the second half, but in the first half. In the second quarter, the Patriots were driving, and Brady had just completed a first down to Watson at the Colts 19. Let's face it - the Patriots were in total control at that time, and while a FG is all but assured there, it's a good bet they go in for the TD and go up 28-3, which may have been too much even for Manning to overcome.

But the pass interference call on Brown, followed by another penalty, knocked them so far back they didn't get any points at all. I thought that was a big moment. If it's 28-6 at the half, I think they might have been able to hold on.

As for Caldwell, he got away with the first drop because they ended up getting the TD anyway, but the second drop, the one where he was all alone on the sideline - that was the killer. He probably wouldn't have made it to the end zone, but a first down was very likely. If the Patriots had scored a TD there instead of the FG, that would have put a bit more pressure on Manning. Although with the way he was killing the Pats D at that time, it might not have mattered anyway.

Mr. BAW said:
No problem with the refs or how the Pats lost the game on their own...my problem is with the bias commentary that each provided the Colts...thought I was listening to Brent Musberger!

No kidding. I was thinking about it and I actually don't mind the Colts & Peyton themselves, it's the network/ESPN asshats' love affair with them that turns me off.

I think it would be pretty funny if the Bears won though...Pey-Pey finally exorcises the demons & beats the Pats to make it to the Superbowl (just for you Headache), only to lose a head-to-head matchup with the great...Rex Grossman?

Chizip said:
This should be a great Superbowl. I can't wait for this Superbowl. Is anybody else excited for the Superbowl? I love the Superbowl.

Make a gif of dozens of them then blow it up real large, then put it in your sig :applaud:

;)

Originally posted by zoney! in the last thread

How about that Brady magic....in A DOME!!!!

And how about that "over-rated" Manning who chokes everytime!

All that stuff about Brady in a Dome and Peyton in a big game, stats, history, whatever, it doesn't matter because in a new game anything can happen. Like Doc Brown said, your future isn't written, nobody's is, so make yours a good one!

(and 'you're fired' is erased!) :happy:

Mr. BAW said:

I felt the same way with the Bears vs. the Saints. You could really tell who they wanted in the Superbowl.

problem is guy #22 is Sexy Rexy. To me the 2 consecutive timeouts (which btw came immediately following an official's injury timeout so it was like 3 consecutive TO's) showed me that Rex was nervous and the pressure was getting to him. The pressure will only mount in 2 weeks. Bears only chance is to run the ball down the Colts' throats, if Rex is forced to be a factor, the Colts romp.

Here we go again with the Rex bashing. It's funny to me though because this is exactly what people said before and during the Saints game. And it is also funny because when Rex was forced to be a factor, he lead his team down the field with perfect passes and then an amazing catch by Berrian. I am not scared if Rex has to be a factor at all. And I think our Defense is going to make Pey-Pey look silly.

I'm not bashing Philk, I'm making an unbiased observation...when I see a QB essentially need 3 timeouts in order to run 1 play, he's showing me his Bobby Hurley at the final 4 tendencies (for those too young, Bobby hurley literally shit his pants at the final 4 in 1990).
I think Rex is gonna have extreme difficulty being relaxed at the Superbowl(Headache spelling) if he had difficulty at home in the NFC title game.

(Plus he may be thinking about the post game party at South Beach :wink: )

you're right Hewson, my bad. I think I just saw your post and then CTU's post about "the great Rex Grossman" (i detected sarcasm...don't know why...) and just got on the defensive.

I agree he'll most likely be nervous. And no doubt Peyton will have the upper hand b/c of his experience. But two things. Peyton has way more pressure on him than Rex does. And two, I think that if the Bears D keeps them in the game, Rex will probably come around in the second half(though the real me says all game).

What I keep trying to explain to others I know NOT on this forum is that Rexy is still only developing. 1st full year at qb, first real taste of playoff football. Of course he's going to be nervous and more reserved so as not to make mistakes.

They usually mock me. :shrug:

I like Rex. I'm the only one. Whatever. And I think he's gonna play perfect in the Superbowl! GO BEARS!!!

I hope I can find a wife as understanding as this one day...lol

Thanks, honey:
Wife induces labor so husband can go to Bears game

PALOS HEIGHTS, Ill. (AP) -- Nine months pregnant and married to a fervent Bears fan with tickets to Sunday's NFC Championship game, Colleen Pavelka didn't want to risk going into labor during the game against the New Orleans Saints.

Due to give birth on Monday, Pavelka's doctor told her Friday she could induce labor early. She opted for the Friday delivery.

"I thought, how could [Mark] miss this one opportunity that he might never have again in his life?" said Pavelka, 28, from the southwestern Chicago suburb of Homer Glen.

At 10:45 p.m. Friday, Mark Patrick Pavelka was born at Palos Community Hospital after close to six hours of labor.

While her husband watched the Bears play the New Orleans Saints at Soldier Field Sunday, Colleen planned to watch in the hospital with the baby wrapped in a Bears blanket -- a Christmas gift from his grandmother.

The couple named Mark after his father, who wore a "Monsters of the Midway" shirt during the delivery.

"If he wasn't born by Sunday and the Bears won, I would have named him Rex," after Bears quarterback Rex Grossman, joked Mark Pavelka, 28.

Mark is the couple's second son.

Got Philk? said:

Here we go again with the Rex bashing. It's funny to me though because this is exactly what people said before and during the Saints game. And it is also funny because when Rex was forced to be a factor, he lead his team down the field with perfect passes and then an amazing catch by Berrian. I am not scared if Rex has to be a factor at all. And I think our Defense is going to make Pey-Pey look silly.

The thing is that the Bears need to be able to utilize their passing game on their terms, and that usually means having their running game going and then letting Rex throw deep off play-action (esp. since Indy's SS Bob Sanders loves to cheat up towards the line of scrimmage and stop the run). If the Bears can run successfully early in the game, eat some clock, keep Manning off the field and get an early lead, they have a great chance of success. If they fall behind and Rex has to start throwing passes every down, the Bears are going to struggle.

Well, the two teams I rooted for on Championship Sunday both lost, so I guess I'm bad luck. With that said, I'll be rooting for the Colts.

Speedracer,
Right, it's the same idea that we had to do against the Saints. We had to stop them early in the game so as not to allow their confidence to grow right away. I honestly think if Brees and the Saints marched(sorry, horrible word usage) right down the field in their first or second possesion, the game would have been waay different.

Same goes for Peyton and the Colts. Momentum is Huge. So yeah, if we can run our gameplan, good things will happen. I know we cannot get into a scoring battle with the Colts. I think everyone knows this. That is the beautiful thing though for Rex. Our team isn't all based on passing. We depend so much more on Defense and running game.

So I understand what you mean about Rex. But then, really. The pressure falls on our defense I would think. To allow us to run our offensive gameplan.

Tuna on rye:

http://sports.aol.com/nfl/story/_a/parcells-retires-from-coaching/20070122121209990001?cid=1690

Parcells Retires From Coaching
AP
IRVING, Texas (Jan. 22) - Bill Parcells retired from coaching Monday, leaving the Dallas Cowboys after four seasons and ending a stellar career that featured three Super Bowl appearances and two championships.

The announcement came 15 days after the Cowboys' season ended with a heartbreaking playoff loss in Seattle . He'd been at his office nearly every day since, and there were other indications that the 65-year-old coach was returning for a fifth year in Dallas and 20th as an NFL head coach.

"I am retiring from coaching football," Parcells said in a statement. "I want to thank Jerry Jones and Stephen Jones for their tremendous support over the last four years. Also, the players, my coaching staff and others in the support group who have done so much to help. Dallas is a great city and the Cowboys are an integral part of it. I am hopeful that they are able to go forward from here."

The announcement came in a morning e-mail. There was no immediate statement from Jones, the team owner, although one was planned for later in the day. There were no immediate plans for a news conference.

"I am in good health and feel lucky to have been able to coach in the NFL for an extended period of time," Parcells said. "I leave the game and the NFL with nothing but good feelings and gratitude to all the players, coaches and other people that have assisted me in that regard. "

Parcells won two Super Bowls with the Giants . He came to Dallas four seasons ago energized by the challenge of restoring glory to "America's Team." He went 34-32 and definitely left the Cowboys better than he found them, but his tenure ultimately may be remembered for the lack of a playoff victory.

He came to Dallas four seasons ago energized by the challenge of restoring glory to "America's Team." While he definitely left the Cowboys better than he found them, his tenure ultimately may be remembered for the lack of a playoff victory.

His teams went 0-2 in the postseason. Dallas appeared headed to a breakthrough win this month in Seattle, but Pro Bowl quarterback Tony Romo botched the hold on a short field goal with a little more than a minute left and the Cowboys lost 21-20. They lost four of their last five games, including the final three, after holding a two-game division lead in December.

Dallas hasn't won a playoff game since 1996, easily the longest skid in the history of the franchise that's been to a record eight Super Bowls.

Parcells' legacy with the Cowboys can be framed this way: Instead of joining Tom Landry, Jimmy Johnson and Barry Switzer as coaches who led them to championships, he leaves lumped with Chan Gailey and Dave Campo.

the bears/saints game came down to a 5 minute stretch to me...

in the first half, the bears really weren't playing that great... they had great field position due to new orleans turnovers and couldn't punch it into the endzone. the saints came out int he second half and seemed to really take over the game. the bears O couldn't do anything, and the Bears D looked quite suspect...

and then reggie bush pissed off the Bears D.

and then bad Rex took a vacation and good Rex stepped up for one drive.

and then the game was over.

back to the colts/pats game... hewson's comment about the colts thaking the guy who operates the a/c is warnted. it was a great bit of gamesmanship on indy's part. i'm willing to bet the pats locker room was a bit heated, too, just like the celtics used to do.

the pats D is not as deep as it once was... it's good, but very thin. every reporter kept talking about how hot it was inside the dome. with the style of offense the colts play it's hard to get subs on the field... and when the colts dominate the time of posession like they did, it gives their own D a chance to recover on the sideline. the pats D just looked worn out in the third, and the colts took every advantage. they looked a bit better in the 4th, but by that point it was a game again, and frankly whoever had the ball last was gonna win... the pats had it last, yes, but they had under a minute to get it done. if the pats had 2 minutes left, i think brady wins the game.

caldwell... holy crap. he couldn't have been more wide open on those two drops. the first one, yes, they scored the TD anyway. but if he catches that second one the pats get a TD instead of a fieldgoal, and then even if the colts score on the ensuing drive, brady only needs to get the pats into field goal range, not score a TD.

also, a decision by dungy to overrule manning late in the 1st half really helped the colts. manning wanted to go for it, and dungy said no, which is a rare thing... usually manning wins all arguments. dungy took the points knowing full well that the colts get the ball first to start the second half, and if they got a TD it would only be a one posession game, despite the pats complete domination in the first half. if the colts hadn't come away with any points at the end of the half, i don't think they come back.

that pass interference penalty in the endzone that setup the 1st and goal from the 1 yard line... that was a complete BS penalty. it can't be pass interference if no contact was made, and no contact was made. that said, the colts could have very well scored anyways... AND it's not like the pats haven't gotten the benefit of some questionable calls along the way, too. everntually it all evens out... it may 5 years down the line, but it evens out.

the pats had the game in hand, but they couldn't throw the knock out punch. they gave the colts a little room to operate, and indy took full advantage.

on the colts last drive, i still thought manning would blow it. he didn't. on the pats last drive, i still thought brady would win it. he didn't. your reputation is deserved until you reverse it. one late drive won't reverse brady's reputation, but if manning can complete the job in 2 weeks, he certainly has reversed his.

Headache in a Suitcase said:

back to the colts/pats game... hewson's comment about the colts thaking the guy who operates the a/c is warnted. it was a great bit of gamesmanship on indy's part. i'm willing to bet the pats locker room was a bit heated, too, just like the celtics used to do.

I can not take credit for said statement:

MrPryck2U said:
I think the Colts should thank the person that runs the A/C at the RCA Dome.

Headache in a Suitcase said:

usually manning wins all arguments. dungy took the points knowing full well that the colts get the ball first to start the second half, and if they got a TD it would only be a one posession game, despite the pats complete domination in the first half.

I am not so sure in the past, but throughout this past season, Manning has been seen on the sideline whinning about being pulled to the sideline on fourth down as Vinatieri trots out to kick a field goal. Dungy may have more confidence in the kicking game with Vinatieri over Vanderjagt.

I feel the Pats defense "dominated" the first half. In reality, the Pats Offense only scored one touchdown.

Mankins touchdown (as was Saturday's) was a LOT of luck. Maroney was too busy looking wide-eyed at the open end zone to take the ball from Brady (or was it mr. perfect not giving a good handoff to the rookie??? ;) ). There were three or four blue shirts to two white shirts in that initial pile. And the Colts had their hands on it first, before the "sure-handed" DBs let it pop out of the pile. The whole thing was amazing.

Then, Peyton throws an interception. As i mentioned elsewhere, I switched over to the Simpsons.

zoney! said:

I am not so sure in the past, but throughout this past season, Manning has been seen on the sideline whinning about being pulled to the sideline on fourth down as Vinatieri trots out to kick a field goal. Dungy may have more confidence in the kicking game with Vinatieri over Vanderjagt.

I feel the Pats defense "dominated" the first half. In reality, the Pats Offense only scored one touchdown.

Mankins touchdown (as was Saturday's) was a LOT of luck. Maroney was too busy looking wide-eyed at the open end zone to take the ball from Brady (or was it mr. perfect not giving a good handoff to the rookie??? ;) ). There were three or four blue shirts to two white shirts in that initial pile. And the Colts had their hands on it first, before the "sure-handed" DBs let it pop out of the pile. The whole thing was amazing.

Then, Peyton throws an interception. As i mentioned elsewhere, I switched over to the Simpsons.

the OL's TD was a bit of luck, but then again, so was jeff saturday's... so they cross each other out.

the pat's O was a little above average in the first half, but the D dominated indy.

another BIG play in this game that will get over-looked is the bonehead 12 men in the huddle penalty. without that penalty the pats probably run it three times, killing a lot more clock, and maybe taking it well beneath 2 minutes and forcing indy to use their timeouts if they were to pick up a first down or two. but those 5 yards made the pats have to throw it... they got two completions but came up short on third down and had to punt.

i'd always say that eventually the pats had to make some stupid mistakes, too. everyone does. and now they did... it took 6 years, but they finally made some stupid mistakes.

Rex Grossman just registered here. :down:

So, we have:

Peyton (banned)
Eli
Tom Brady
Donovan
Andy Reid

This is a little old.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom