NFL Superbowl thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Headache in a Suitcase said:
how, as a huuuuuuuge colts fan, did you not know about this already?

I do not know! :huh: My brother is a huger fan and he was just out there and did not say anything about it. What a suprise!

And Irvin going to the HOF is terrible when Art Monk was again passed over. He is a good guy. Look how long it took Swann and Stallworth to get in, and they were good guys. Really, character should play a part in it. Just as no one wants Pete Rose or Maguire in the Baseball hall because of their conduct, the same should go for him. He filmed naked teenage girls. He was in trouble for drugs. He was a total asshole on the field, pushing off and taunting other players. Irvin does not deserve the honor, at least not now. Make him wait ten years or so like wandering through the desert for his sins or something:down:

It is going to be interesting to see if they deny TO for his conduct despite his numbers, or Randy Moss, while taking in this jerk on the first ballot.

Last edited:
U2Kitten said:
Does that Lucas Oil have a retractable roof? And is it owned by George Lucas?;)

I'm sorry to hear the Dome will be torn down:(

Yes, retractable.

No, not george. Lucas Oil Stadium(from what I have learned in my less-than-one-year-in-residence in Indy, Lucas Oil is an Oil company that is a big sponsor for different types of car racing, and was founded by a Hoosier).

The team, as well as the fans, will be better off with the RCA Dome. VERY FEW will miss the RCA Dome.

U2Kitten said:
It is going to be interesting to see if they deny TO for his conduct despite his numbers, or Randy Moss, while taking in this jerk on the first ballot.

how many championships do TO and Randy Moss have as compared to Michael Irvin?

Irvin, his off the field exploints aside, is 10th all time in receptions, 9th all time in recieving yards, and third all time in 100 yard games, despite having a relatively short career when compared to, say, Jerry Rice.

as for his off the field exploints... was he a saint? of course not... but the alleged episode in where he and erik williams sexually assaulted a 19 year old girl, videotaping the entire thing, was proven in court of law to be a complete fabrication and the girl who brought up the charges was eventually charged herself with perjury.

when he was busted in the "white house" scandal, he was tested by the NFL for drugs, and it came back negative. he's never tested positive for drug use in his entire career.

has he used drugs? i don't know... if ya put a gun to my head and made me answer yes or no, i'd obviously answer yes. but in reality all he's guilty of is being a bit of a prick and hanging out with some really bad company.

that aside... he was a killer on the field. he was what TO should be. he was unguardable. if not for a spinal injury cutting his career short (the injury which of course was cheered by philly fans when it happened) he would be in the top 5 in every single recieving category.

you may not like him as a person, but he's a hall of famer, and one of the greatest wide reciever's i've ever seen.

zoney! said:

Yes, retractable.

You know, I invented that idea, I wrote it in a story many years ago, before there ever was such a thing. And here I sit with no cash. :sigh:

No, not george. Lucas Oil Stadium(from what I have learned in my less-than-one-year-in-residence in Indy, Lucas Oil is an Oil company that is a big sponsor for different types of car racing, and was founded by a Hoosier).

I knew it wasn't really George Lucas, I was just joking. But I didn't know who the real company was. At least they named it after a company to start with. I hate it when legendary fields like Candlestick end up named after a corporation :down: or even worse, ones named after dead guys, like Jack Murphy or Jack Kent Cooke, end up selling out :tsk:

The team, as well as the fans, will be better off with the RCA Dome. VERY FEW will miss the RCA Dome.

I guess you mean WITHOUT, but I will still miss it. I liked it, I like its dowtown location, and I liked the cute RCA doggies they use :cute:

U2Kitten said:

You know, I invented that idea, I wrote it in a story many years ago, before there ever was such a thing. And here I sit with no cash. :sigh:

Invented the idea huh? Maybe that's why the roof at Olympic Stadium never quite worked properly. :wink:

Anybody else sick of evvvery team always playing the under dog role?

"People just keep picking against us," Bears linebacker Brian Urlacher said. "It's a fact. It's the same thing every week."

"We've been the underdog all season," Bears cornerback Charles Tillman added.

Whaaaaat, you've been underdogs all season??

You were favored in 16 out of 18 games this season!! Including both playoff games!!

Gimme a break.

U2Kitten said:

I hate it when legendary fields like Candlestick end up named after a corporation :down: or even worse, ones named after dead guys, like Jack Murphy or Jack Kent Cooke, end up selling out :tsk:

Wasn't Jack Kent Cook still alive when the stadium was being biult and then dies either right before it was finished or right after? I lived in DC at the time and could have sworn he was.:huh:

Chizip said:
Anybody else sick of evvvery team always playing the under dog role?

"People just keep picking against us," Bears linebacker Brian Urlacher said. "It's a fact. It's the same thing every week."

"We've been the underdog all season," Bears cornerback Charles Tillman added.

Whaaaaat, you've been underdogs all season??

You were favored in 16 out of 18 games this season!! Including both playoff games!!

Gimme a break.

Ok, the all season quote by Tillman is a bit ridiculous. But you cannot sit there and tell me you honestly think ESPN and other major sports networks were picking the Bears to do anything in the playoffs.

Especially against the Saints. They were all but beaten by the coin toss. Even now, according to my local newspaper, the Bears cannot hang in with the Colts at all.

I'll agree that the Bears might be using this line a bit much, but there certainly was, and is still, some truth to what they are saying.

Even though Michael Irvin is dumb as shit, he still deserves to be in the HOF. Irvin's off the field misadventures never interfered with his performance on the field. Rose compromised the integrity of the game by betting on baseball. The jury is still out on Big Mac, but so far, it doesn't look good. If it's shown that he juiced during his career, then he's out like Pete.

chizip in a suitcase

U2Kitten said:

I am going to assume you are joking - or delusional.

You are in your 30's.

As Randhail mentioned, the Olympic Stadium was designed pre-1970 with a retractable roof. Of course, it took years to finish.

The Mellon Arena in Pittsburgh (construction completed in 1961, LONG before your birth and/or conception) is a rectractable roof stadium.

ah but you're wrong... it's a retractable roof arena :wink:

and mellon arena is co-star in a movie with one of the greatest actors of our generation...

jvd02.gif

yahtzee!!

final predictions... no rain, indy 34-chicago 17. rain? indy 21-chicago 17.

and yes, i will consider it a choke job if peyton doesn't play well and the colts lose. indy's the better team, he's the best player on the field... they should win.

but that's why they play the games, i suppose...

let the guinness flow.

With rain: Indianapolis 20 - Chicago 9
Without rain: Indianapolis 34 - Chicago 27

Unless both these QB's play well, this game is going to be terrible.

Here I am, at home about 40 minutes from Miami, with no Superbowl tickets. :angry: We can't even go bar-hop in Miami because the traffic is so insane. :yikes: A few of my friends are dancing with Prince at halftime, pretty cool. :up:

Go Colts!!!

Re: chizip in a suitcase

zoney! said:

I am going to assume you are joking - or delusional.

You are in your 30's.

As Randhail mentioned, the Olympic Stadium was designed pre-1970 with a retractable roof. Of course, it took years to finish.

The Mellon Arena in Pittsburgh (construction completed in 1961, LONG before your birth and/or conception) is a rectractable roof stadium.

The first one I ever heard of was in Canada and I never heard of it until the 90's :reject: Oh and BTW my brother said he DID hear about the new stadium and did see it. He's starting his party with his two Colts buddies now, watching it on a big screen hi def. I'm watching it alone, on my old 27 inch, because I want to, hyperventilating with my heart pounding. My hubby is with his Mom, watching it on her big screen LCD. And I told the kids they could have the computer and watch whatever in the other room, just leave me alone. I am sooo intense!!

I want the Colts to win, I want them to win very much. But I also want a good game, a fair game, and a game with no stupid mistakes. I don't want to lose that way, I don't want to win that way. Bad calls either. I want a hard fought, honest game between two teams giving it all their hearts, and the best team on this day will win.

(But oh, Go Colts!)

The Speech Before Battle

returnoftheking.jpg

Hold your ground! Hold your ground!

Sons of Indianapolis, of Chicago, my brothers,

I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me.

A day may come when the courage of men fails,

when we forsake our friends

and break all bonds of fellowship,

but it is not this day.

An hour of wolves and shattered shields,

when the age of men comes crashing down,

but it is not this day!

This day we fight!!

By all that you hold dear on this good Earth,

I bid you stand, Men of the (mid)West!!!

I'm such a geek :wink: Here we go, let's have a good game, on this day.

why in god's name would they think that any football fan would wanna see cirque de soleil??

:wave: Hey all, I haven’t read any of this thread yet :reject: just wanted to jump in and find out about what time the half time show will start on the east coast?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom