NFL Superbowl thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hewson said:
You would have enjoyed Belichick's WEEI radio "Patriots Monday" segment the day after the AFC Championship game.
When asked if he was looking forward to coaching the Pro Bowl his answer was "Oh yeah, I can't wait" and the ginormous level of sarcasm in his voice was priceless.

Belichick was always great on WEEI. He's quite a funny guy in his own way, and this was never more evident than listening to him every Monday.

phanan said:

Belichick was always great on WEEI. He's quite a funny guy in his own way, and this was never more evident than listening to him every Monday.
He seems to be very relaxed talking with Ordway, Smerlas, DeOssie and Pete the Meat, and you see (hear) a side of him that you don't get in his regular press conferences and interviews.

Alright, its time to lay it on the table...

Colts jump out to a 10-0 lead in the 1st on a Vinatieri 41 yarder on the opening drive followed by a Ben Utecht TD recept after a Bears 3 and out.
Bears respond with a FG. 10-3

End of 1st Q (hope you had a 0-3 square)
Colts add a FG, 13-3
Hester returns kickoff deep into Colt territory and Jones runs for a score, 13-10.
An exchange of punts and we reach the half at 13-10 Colts.

Prince wears assless chaps at halftime and is joined on stage by Carmen Electra wearing only strategically placed electrical tape. FCC sues CBS for $269Million.

Rain picks up in the 2nd half.
Bears grind out a long FG drive on opening possession of 3rd, a 31 yarder by Robbie "don't call me Gold" Gould.

On ensuing Colts drive, Dallas Clark is separated from a wet ball by Brian Urlacher after a short completion.
After review, the play stand, Bears ball.

Sexy rexy immediately goes up top to Berrian, who beats Joseph David subbing for Harper for a 44 yard TD.
Bears lead 20-13.
Manning drives the Colts back, but Addai is stopped on 3rd and goal from the 3. Vinatieri boots a 20 yarder. 20-16.

End of 3rd Quarter.

First play of 4th, Grossman is flushed by Freeney, forces the ball downfield late and is picked by Bob "Satch" Sanders.

Colts respond with an uncharacteristic 13 play drive on which 11 are runs, 9 by Addai including a 7 yard TD run with 4:52 left.
Colts 23, Bears 20.

Now the pressure is on Grossman to drive for the tying score in an ever increasing rain storm.
Colts refuse to kick to Hester and the kickoff goes out bounds, Bears at the 40.
On first down Benson gains 4.
2nd down, Benson gains 3.
3rd and 3, Rex drops back and is sacked, Cato June strips the ball, but John "don't call me Taint" Tait who threw the lookout block that sprung June picks up the ball and rumbles into Colt territory, first down.
Eli manning has a hot dog in his luxury box.
Archie is on the phone lining up more commercials for Peyton.
The clock is running at 3:05...
first and 10 Bears from the Colt 48.

(Are you excited yet?)

Bears run Thomas Jones on a draw for 5 yards.
2nd down, Rex throws incomplete.
3rd and 5, 2:31 left...out of FG range.
Rex is flushed from the pocket and runs to the 36...first down. Rex lets the clock run to the 2 minute warning.

(Are you on the edge of your seat?, or at least the Bono of your seat?)

After the 2 minute warning, Grossman calls timeout (you knew I had to throw that in there)
On 1st down, Rex throws complete to Desmond Clark for 7 yards.
On 2nd, Jones runs for 4, 1st down at the 25, in Gould's normal range, but its windy and rainy in Sunny Miami, clock runs at 1:22...1:21...
Rex throws in complete, clock stops at 1:09.
On 2nd and 10, Rex is sacked at the 33 by a blitzing Bob "Colonel" Sanders. He uses the Bears last timeout with 0:55 on the clock, 3rd and 18 at the 33.
On 3rd down, Bears cross up the Colts D and Thomas Jones runs 14 yards on a draw...flag. Holding on Olin Kreutz.
3rd and 28 at the 43.
Rex completes a pass to Jones out of the backfield, but he is tackled by Morris at the 37, and inbounds with the clock running at 0:28, 0:27, 0:26...
Rex gets the Bears to the line, clock running at 0:15...its 4th and 22 outside of FG range.
rex takes the snap, drops back and heaves the ball towards Berrian in the right corner of the end zone...Berrian has a bead on the ball, outleaps 2 Colts DBs and....

Bears.jpg

...after further review, the receiver posessed the ball, his right foot is down and he taps his left toe TOUCHDOWN!
The clock shows 0:00...there is bedlam on the sloppy field, and millions of square pools are affected as no extra point is attempted and the final score is Bears 26, Colts 23.

Berrian is named MVP.
Rex calls a timeout before filming his "I'm going to Disney World" moment.
Lovie and Tony embrace at midfield, a slew of uninformed analysts compare it to Belichick and Mangini, and the game goes down as the greatest Super Bowl ever.

Hewson said:

The clock shows 0:00...there is bedlam on the sloppy field, and millions of square pools are affected as no extra point is attempted and the final score is Bears 26, Colts 23.

I think they'd have to go for the extra point. Regardless a situation like that could lead to terrorist attacks by people that were effected by not going for the PAT.

Hewson said:
...after further review, the receiver posessed the ball, his right foot is down and he taps his left toe TOUCHDOWN!

Berrian is named MVP.
Rex calls a timeout before filming his "I'm going to Disney World" moment.
Lovie and Tony embrace at midfield, a slew of uninformed analysts compare it to Belichick and Mangini, and the game goes down as the greatest Super Bowl ever.

Fucking finally, it's over. Now, let's talk about the Pro Bowl already. Do you think the NFC will play "Crumbs From Your Table"?

Hewson said:

So the crowd mix could be heavily Bear fans, who do travel well...more expendable income in Chicago than Indy.

Chicago is #3 population wise...and I think #2 for corporate HQs. Indy is a small city. SMALL city.

I really expected to see a lot of charter traffic for airlines here in Indy....but there really hasn't been a whole lot.

on top of it the beras have a vast history, with generations of displaced fans all over the country...

where as the colts have a very short history, because a large majority of fans who were there for the baltimore colts bolted from the team when they bolted from baltimore and are now raven fans (or redskin, or "other")... much in the same way giant and dodger fans are now, mostly, met fans.

and anyhoo, indiana's a basketball state. football will always be second.

randhail said:

I think they'd have to go for the extra point. Regardless a situation like that could lead to terrorist attacks by people that were effected by not going for the PAT.
Thats the beauty of my scenario...in this situation they don't kick the PAT...I've seen it happen, in fact I think it happened this year once...but obviously never in a Super Bowl...imagine the craziness with all the squares...pandemonium!

Headache in a Suitcase said:

and anyhoo, indiana's a basketball state. football will always be second.

Indeed...but you should see how whipped up this place is right now!

The new Colts stadium being built (Lucas Oil Stadium) will (in my opinion) look like a "Fieldhouse." The design makes it look like an overgrown Canseco Fieldhouse, or Hinkle Fieldhouse (where Butler plays and where they filmed "Hoosiers").

zonelistener said:

Good! Just like Atomic Bono said, it's a good time to be there. I'm so happy they're enjoying it.

The new Colts stadium being built (Lucas Oil Stadium) will (in my opinion) look like a "Fieldhouse." The design makes it look like an overgrown Canseco Fieldhouse, or Hinkle Fieldhouse (where Butler plays and where they filmed "Hoosiers").

NEW Colts Stadium?! I didn't know about this! Why do they need it? What's wrong with the Dome? What will they do with it?

zonelistener said:

it does... i've seen the artwork. and i believe the final four will be played at lucas oil in 2010 (with host school, ironicly enough, butler)

do they still plan on having it be a retractable roof? you'd think they'd want to keep full control over the elements for peyton.

oh, and you do not have to tell me where they filmed hoosiers... every scene of that movie is permanently engrained into my mind :wink:

Last edited:
U2Kitten said:

NEW Colts Stadium?! I didn't know about this! Why do they need it? What's wrong with the Dome? What will they do with it?

I guess they felt they need a bigger, better stadium :shrug: yes it will have a retractable roof, and slightly bigger capacity (up to 10,000 more I think) part of it may be that Indy is vying for the Super Bowl in 2011... also as headache said, the final four. and they're going to expand the Convention Center where the Dome gets demolished.

I can't wait til tomorrow guys :drool: I'm having a bunch of friends over and we're gonna play Madden 07 on my brother's Wii until the game :D (nintendo wii = best present for your brother to get ever) friday was cool, everyone at school was wearing colts stuff, and we had decorated a lot of the teacher's doors, and everywhere you drive there is Colts stuff...

let's hope for an awesome game tomorrow :rockon:

U2Kitten said:

The dome only holds about 60,000 and it is one of the smallest stadiums in the NFL. There is a webcam on the Colts site showing the progress, U2Kitten. When I saw the Colts in October the stadium was pretty far along.

Cool! I'm glad they are expecting that kind of crowd and that 60,000 seats is not enough to hold all the Colts fans! :hyper:

The RCA Dome is a dump! It was great when it was built in the early 80's, but it really doesn't fit the needs of the current NFL economy - and it is the smallest NFL venue right now. The Metrodome is only slightly better than the RCA Dome (despite their stricking similar appearance).

They had made a lot of progress with the stadium...then it got cold. Part of the roof steel is in place.

2010 Final Four! I almost feel as if they are building it for the Final Four, rather than the Colts. The State of Basketball!

I need to see a game at Hinkle - especially while Butler is on a roll!

MIAMI -- Michael Irvin was elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame on Saturday despite a troubled past, though voters denied entry to retired NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue.

The former Dallas Cowboys receiver, who won three Super Bowls in the 1990s, got in on his third try.

Irvin pleaded no contest in 1996 to felony cocaine possession. Four years later, he was arrested on drug possession charges, but they were later dropped.

The 40 Hall voters were criticized by two of Irvin's former teammates, Emmitt Smith and Troy Aikman, for previously bypassing the wideout, who retired in 1999.

They didn't ignore him this time.

Tagliabue was eliminated in the first round of voting.

Also voted in were running back Thurman Thomas, offensive lineman Bruce Matthews, defensive back Roger Wehrli and two nominees of the veterans' committee -- tight end Charlie Sanders and guard Gene Hickerson.

Does that Lucas Oil have a retractable roof? And is it owned by George Lucas?;)

I'm sorry to hear the Dome will be torn down:(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom