NFL Superbowl thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Garcia excelled in SF, he was a salary cap cut at the request of an outspoken wide receiver named Terrell Owens (and in hindsight I think the Niners might acknowledge they got behind the wrong guy), from Wikipedia:

The following season, with Young retired, Garcia kept the starting quarterback position and made his first Pro Bowl appearance. He set a new 49ers' team record with 4,278 passing yards in the 2000 season, although the team finished with a 6-10 record. In both of the next two seasons, Garcia led the 49ers to the playoffs.

Garcia had 31 and 30 passing touchdowns in the 2000 and 2001 season seasons, more than any other quarterback over those two seasons. As one of the top quarterbacks in the league, Garcia went to the Pro Bowl in three consecutive seasons (2000-2002).

On January 5, 2003, during the 2002-2003 playoffs, Garcia was a large part of the 49ers' comeback win over the New York Giants, the second largest comeback victory in NFL playoff history. In the game's third quarter, the Giants were up 38-14, with about 18 minutes left to play. Once the 49ers regained possession of the ball, they began a comeback that saw 25 unanswered points, with San Francisco taking a 39-38 lead. The Giants lost an opportunity to retake the lead after a controversial call, and the improbable victory became the signature game of Garcia's 49er career. He threw for 331 yards, 3 touchdowns, 1 interception, and also ran for 60 yards and 1 touchdown.

Following a disappointing 2003 season, in which Garcia was hampered by back problems, the 3-time Pro Bowler was released by the 49ers due to salary cap issues. Garcia also had a falling out with wide receiver Terrell Owens, who blamed Garcia's lack of arm strength for holding Owens back.

Considering he holds the all time team single season passing record on a team where Joe Montana and Steve Young preceded him, saying he "stunk the place out" is clearly a ridiculously misinformed statement.
In fact he was quite the opposite...
He took the team to the playoffs 2 of his 3 full years as starter when they were in a rebuilding mode due to serious salary cap hell because of how they structured signing bonuses and contracts prior to his arrival to try and maintain their winning ways as long as possible.
Combined with the way he turned the Iggles around this year, its clear that the only sucking Garcia does is not on the football field.

Last edited:
Nothing can be 'misinformed' if it's an opinion. I said, or meant, it was my husband's opinion that he stank, and he didn't like him.

Guess you can't pick on me for my team anymore so you're going after something else.

and I'm sure both the Niners, and Garcia, are honored that they have taken attention away from the Super Bowl teams- and the Patriots. :wink:

Last edited:
U2Kitten said:

It was during his time the team dropped from greatness.
The Niners' fall had nothing to do with Garcia, in fact the tidbit I just showed you should inform you and your husband that Garcia kept the Niners from a real precipitous fall by getting them to the playoffs twice. That team fell apart because ownership mortgaged the future in the mid 90's with the way they played signing bonus games with the salary cap (just look at the Deion Sanders deal). It was well after Garcia was dropped because of the salary cap situation that they really fell apart...they ended up being the worst team in the league(hence the overall #1 draft pick used on Alex Smith) after they released Garcia.

And You use JJ Stokes as an example of Garcia being inadequate...JJ Stokes is one of the biggest busts in WR history considering his draft status, right up there with Hart Lee Dykes.
The man had no desire to work at the game, his concentration was horrible and when he left UCLA, he had his human arms replaced with a set of alligator arms.

U2Kitten said:

Guess you can't pick on me for my team anymore so you're going after something else.

See, these statements are the ones that bug me...I'm not picking on you, I'm responding to comments in the thread...If Headache or Zoney or speedracer posted untruths like "Garcia stunk up the joint in SF", I would respond in the same way.
I just prefer when people make statements that they are based in reality. Yours (or your husbands if you desire to attribute it to him) was ludicrous, Jeff Garcia as the facts I posted detailed, was statistically one of the best QB's in the NFL from 2000-2002, his 3 years as full time starter for the Niners.

Look all I'm saying is that my husband didn't like him, found him a disappointment for the team and was glad he was gone. Posting all his stats won't change that. Just like if you found a guy who said U2 sucked, and you posted all the CD and concert ticket sales and numbers, if he still didn't like them, he's not going to be impressed. I know it's not the same thing, but anyway Garcia did not live up to the 49er legacy and my husband didn't like him. I have nothing else to say about it.

The REAL reason the Niners declined is that Eddie DeBartolo lost control. He was involved in some crooked business with the criminal governer of Louisiana over some riverboat gambling under the table money, and he was afraid of losing the team, so he signed it 'temporarily' over to his sister Denise. Well, when he wanted it back, his sister was like, 'hey Eddie WHO'S name is on this paper?' and she screwed him over and she and her husband took the team. They do not run it nearly as well, and the organization has suffered for this all the way down the line. As a sad footnote, the gov. ended up going to jail, and the riverboats were destroyed in Katrina, so it was all for nothing. I know the lack of superior talent also had a lot to do with it, but that traces right to the organization. Eddie loved football and would do what it took to get and keep good players and keep them happy. Denise only looks at it as a business.

One more thing I was thinking of, back to the Ravens being the Browns. When they won the Super Bowl in '00, that could have been CLEVELAND'S long awaited Super Bowl. It was their guys, their good team. The new Browns are a crappy expansion franchise. The Ravens will always be the real Browns in other outfits. And Baltimore still whines about the Colts after taking another team. I know this is an old issue, but it's still lame.

Okay now can we please get excited over the SUPER BOWL?? superbowl?

Hewson said:
The Niners' fall had nothing to do with Garcia, in fact the tidbit I just showed you should inform you and your husband that Garcia kept the Niners from a real precipitous fall by getting them to the playoffs twice. That team fell apart because ownership mortgaged the future in the mid 90's with the way they played signing bonus games with the salary cap (just look at the Deion Sanders deal). It was well after Garcia was dropped because of the salary cap situation that they really fell apart...they ended up being the worst team in the league(hence the overall #1 draft pick used on Alex Smith) after they released Garcia.

And You use JJ Stokes as an example of Garcia being inadequate...JJ Stokes is one of the biggest busts in WR history considering his draft status, right up there with Hart Lee Dykes.
The man had no desire to work at the game, his concentration was horrible and when he left UCLA, he had his human arms replaced with a set of alligator arms.

Stokes was also sllloooowwwwwww.........

U2Kitten said:
Look all I'm saying is that my husband didn't like him, found him a disappointment for the team and was glad he was gone. Posting all his stats won't change that. Just like if you found a guy who said U2 sucked, and you posted all the CD and concert ticket sales and numbers, if he still didn't like them, he's not going to be impressed. I know it's not the same thing, but anyway Garcia did not live up to the 49er legacy and my husband didn't like him. I have nothing else to say about it.

You original statement was this:

U2Kitten said:

Garcia stunk the place out in SF, he could well suck again.

So no spoken words and I both took that at its face value and provided evidence to the contrary, that is all. You can't expect people to be able to interpret "Garcia stunk out the place" as "My husband didn't like Jeff Garcia as much as Joe Montana and Steve Young"

If you post statements (it wasn't posted as an opinion) that are contrary to fact, expect someone might post evidence to the contrary.

Just like if someon says "U2 doesn't sell many records", they could get corrected with the facts...a far cry from "U2 sucks", which would be an opinion.

Anyway, end of the Sausage Man discussion for today, he's busy turning the McNabb mess in Philly into a successful franchise.

On to the game...looks like some serious rain.

U2Kitten said:

The REAL reason the Niners declined is that Eddie DeBartolo lost control.
[/QUOTE

No, it was because of 2 things:

1. Policy/Clark/Donahue and yes, Walsh totally mismanaged the cap for many years. Signing free agent veterans way past their prime to inflated contracts they'd be still paying off long after they were gone. Also overpaying to keep their own guys who weren't that good (like Stokes)

2. REALLY horrible drafting/personnel decisions for about 8+ years.

From 95 onwards, their high draft picks were mostly mediocre to horrible, with a couple of decent players, and one basket case.

Also, Lawrence Phillips who ended Steve Young's career

And thinking Dennis Erickson could do a better job than Steve Mariucci didn't help either.

toscano said:

Stokes was also sllloooowwwwwww.........
Slow, lack of interest in the game, poor work ethic, inability to run [Jeff Garcia Voice]crisp[/Jeff Garcia Voice], precise routes, alligator arms, no desire to go over the middle...not a good recipe for a 1st round pick WR.

speedracer said:

Instead of blithely replying with "STFU n00b", I will suggest that posters who have been members of the forum for five days show a little more respect to long-standing and well-respected members like Hewson.

Everybody should be respected here, regardless of if you've been here 5 days or 5 years, so length of membership has nothing to do with it.

As for this game Sunday, the crowd mix could be an intersting factor.
Speaking yesterday to a friend who is in the "secondary market ticket business" the on the street price has dropped considerably. (Scalping is now legal in FL by the way).

He informed me that a "get in" (upper level seat) was running at $3,400 or so Monday, and was at $1,900 yesterday (Thursday).

When I asked the reason for the big, quick drop, the answer was that the folks from Indy weren't travelling well.

So the crowd mix could be heavily Bear fans, who do travel well...more expendable income in Chicago than Indy.

Probably won't play a factor in the game, but it might help some young guys like Grossman if it has a home game feel from the crowd.

Bonochick said:

Everybody should be respected here, regardless of if you've been here 5 days or 5 years, so length of membership has nothing to do with it.

The thing is, I think with so many people making alters to say things they normally wouldn't, people are very suspicious of 'newbies.' And not just on this board. (Disclaimer: I know nothing of the disagreement or who was right or wrong, not saying in this case the new person was or was not really new, just saying that about alters and people jumping on newbies.)

U2Kitten said:
And Headache do not be so quick to give up on Eli. We Colts fans were very frustrated with Peyton his first few years but he turned out okay. Eli will too.

Peyton Manning - First three seasons
1998 - 3,739 yards - 26 TDs, 28 INTs - 3-13 record
1999 - 4135 yards, 26 TDs, 15 INTs - 13-3 record
2000 - 4413 yards, 33 TDs, 15 INTs - 10-6 record

Eli Manning - First three seasons
2004 - 1043 yards, 6 TDs, 9 INTs - 1-7 record
2005 - 3762 yards, 24 TDs, 17 INTs - 11-5 record
2006 - 3244 yards, 24 TDs, 18 INTs - 8-8 record

while i am certainly not giving up on eli just yet... he has shown flashes of brilliance... i would certainly trade my frustration with that of colt fans in peyton's first years.

U2Kitten said:

The thing is, I think with so many people making alters to say things they normally wouldn't, people are very suspicious of 'newbies.' And not just on this board. (Disclaimer: I know nothing of the disagreement or who was right or wrong, not saying in this case the new person was or was not really new, just saying that about alters and people jumping on newbies.)

No offense, and I don't want to get into a big thing here, but you are the LAST person who should be commenting on alters. Besides, alter or not, people still need to respect others.

word is they may cancel the super bowl after a vacationing boston police officer found what appears to be an explosive device attached to the top of dolphins stadium...

DOLPHINS.gif

LT on Belichick
MIAMI -- San Diego Chargers running back LaDainian Tomlinson said he's looking forward to being coached by Bill Belichick in the Pro Bowl.

Tomlinson added that he spoke in the heat of the moment when he suggested the Patriots' post-game celebration after their playoff win over the Chargers -- which he felt was classless -- was a reflection on Belichick.

"Obviously, the head coach is the leader of the team, but he can't control what his players do," Tomlinson said this morning after accepting the Walter Payton NFL Man of the Year award along with Drew Brees. "A lot of times, in the heat of the battle or right after the game, you kind of say things sometimes that you want to take back.

"For me to say they probably get it from their head coach, that may be not true. I don't know that for sure. I think more times that players react in ways that may be classless, it has nothing to do with the coach.

"So I'm looking forward to seeing Bill and having him coach the game. I think we'll have a good time."

Tomlinson also said his remarks about not wanting to say two words to Belichick might have been misinterpreted. He said he didn't plan to say two words about the post-game incident.

"I think they know it was wrong, but at the same time, Bill has no control over that. It's not a fact that I won't talk to him," Tomlinson said.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
actually i think it's pretty much a fact that tomlinson won't talk to belichick because bill may all of a sudden come down with the flu and not be able to attend.

coaching all star games & bill belichick don't seem to go together.
You would have enjoyed Belichick's WEEI radio "Patriots Monday" segment the day after the AFC Championship game.
When asked if he was looking forward to coaching the Pro Bowl his answer was "Oh yeah, I can't wait" and the ginormous level of sarcasm in his voice was priceless.

MrPryck2U said:
Thanks, Hewson. I'm looking forward to the Super Bowl and all, but I'm also looking forward to the NFL getting it's act together someday. They keep rewarding all the current players who keep commiting these dopey crimes. Meanwhile, the NFLPA keeps shitting on all of the retired NFL players who rely on $24,000 a year to help them with their assorted ailments.
Take former Balitmore Colt, John Mackey. He played in Super Bowl V. The only thing he remembers about that game is that scored a TD. If he didn't have a Super Bowl ring, he wouldn't have remembered that his team even won. I could go on and name several former NFL players who have been fucked over by the NFLPA, but according to the current leader of the NFLPA, Gene Upshaw, why bother?
So, on Super Bowl Sunday, when you sit down with your beer and bowl of tortilla chips to watch this year's match-up, take a moment to remember all the guys who participated in the 40 other Super Bowls and helped make the NFL a shitload of money. Most of them probably walk with a limp. Most of them probably had a concussion or three and still played through it. Most of them aren't being properly compensated by the NFL.

On a related note, there's an article in today's Boston Globe on former Pats linebacker Ted Johnson, who's really messed up right now after getting his bell rung too many times.

http://www.boston.com/sports/footba...7/02/02/i_dont_want_anyone_to_end_up_like_me/

Swipe a login from bugmenot if necessary.

Holy shit, somebody actually gave a fuck about what I wrote. Thanks!
The NFL is in damage control mode as we speak as a result of this issue.
Thanks to Mike Ditka and Harry Carson, they are telling the world that the NFL is fucking over all of these guys. The new commish is going to try to do the right thing. Stay tuned.

Bonochick said:

No offense, and I don't want to get into a big thing here, but you are the LAST person who should be commenting on alters.

Because I used alters, and I'm a mod on other boards and see them all the time, that makes me an expert;) I speak from experience! Someone with no alters would be innocent enough to believe every newbie was really new!

Besides, alter or not, people still need to respect others.

Respect for my alters :rockon:

Headache in a Suitcase said:

Peyton Manning - First three seasons
1998 - 3,739 yards - 26 TDs, 28 INTs - 3-13 record
1999 - 4135 yards, 26 TDs, 15 INTs - 13-3 record
2000 - 4413 yards, 33 TDs, 15 INTs - 10-6 record

Eli Manning - First three seasons
2004 - 1043 yards, 6 TDs, 9 INTs - 1-7 record
2005 - 3762 yards, 24 TDs, 17 INTs - 11-5 record
2006 - 3244 yards, 24 TDs, 18 INTs - 8-8 record

while i am certainly not giving up on eli just yet... he has shown flashes of brilliance... i would certainly trade my frustration with that of colt fans in peyton's first years.

Wow, impressive list! That's still too many INTs. And it wasn't ALL Eli's fault when the Giants didn't win, losing is a team effort too. And I know you don't like the coach, some of it could be his fault too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom