NFL Superbowl thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Headache in a Suitcase said:
i believe he's under 24 hour supervision... i wonder if he has to wear a lojac during games :hmm: that would certainly be a super bowl first

I wonder if the lojac could possibly interfere with the plays being called in from the sidelines...like cellphones and aircraft navigational devices. :wink:

That could really screw up Grossman. He might be up to six or seven timeouts per half!

a_young_old_fan said:

I missed the part in the forum rules about bowing being required when someone has more posts than you. My sincerest apologies.

I will not, however, apologize for the opinion that complaining about a call a week after the game in a thread that isn't about the game sounds like sour grapes. None of my posts have been attacks or disrepectful, so I don't really understand all the hoopla.

If this is boy's club where only the old fogeys are welcome, just say so, and I'll be gone. I'd forgotten how cliquish the U2 fan base can be.

1. Despite the title, this is clearly a general-purpose NFL thread. This is something that would have been clear to you had you read the earlier posts. The custom around here is to cram general discussion about each league into one long thread instead of having 10 different threads floating about at once.

2. To a man (and woman), all the Pats fans around here credited the Colts for having played a better game in the AFC championship game, something that you would have seen if you had checked the previous long NFL all-purpose thread, or even a few pages back in this thread. Calling the Pats fans here a bunch of gripers is inaccurate, and doing so at the end of a season when you just joined the forum five days ago is really impolite.

060818_brian_urlacher_vmed.widec.jpg

I think you underestimate the liquor tolerance of my roommates and I...:drunk:

Plus, we're having some people over closer to game time, too - they'll pay in on whatever's left, so we won't be drinking 2 kegs between only those that live here!

Got Philk? said:
But calling a Bear's fan a griper is just fine b/c it's true. Just look back at my posts. "We aren't getting credit." "Everyone loves Peyton."

Well, playing the disrespect card is practically mandatory for the underdog in the Super Bowl. Sometimes for the favorite as well.

a_young_old_fan said:

I will not, however, apologize for the opinion that complaining about a call a week after the game in a thread that isn't about the game sounds like sour grapes.
See this is the part where you are mistaken.
Feel free to show me where I complained a week later about the call.
I merely posted the link showing that the NFL admitted an error, justifying what I and a couple others had said at the time, that it was a wrong call, I never said anything "sour grapes", except if you misinterpreted this:

Hewson said:

Just to use a U2Kitten terminology...the Colts cheated!:wink:
Which the :wink: is placed at the end to intentionally show it as a toungue in cheek post. Hence why I said you may have missed the humor.
Interesting that you did not call out Zoney for complaining about a call in the Pats/Vikes game that went against his beloved Vikings on 10/30...so I guess if you're a Pats fan its sour grapes to mention an admitted NFL officiating mistake a week later, but if you're a fan of any other team, you can complain about a correctly called play 3 months later and its kosher. Sounds like a double standard to me.
Or maybe just sour grapes over years of previous Colts failures:

a_young_old_fan said:
I still swear I saw some arm contact on that call...but if it was indeed a bad call, that's karma baby. I don't feel one bit of sorrow for the Pats at all. If it was any other team in the NFL I would be posting some sympathy, but let's face it. The NFL has played to the Pats for far too long.

Enjoy the game...hope for your sake the Bears don't win on anything controversial, wouldn't want you to complain a week later.

(and there was zero contact on the play, get your eyes checked :wink: )

Last edited:
Hewson said:
See this is the part where you are mistaken.
Feel free to show me where I complained a week later about the call.
I merely posted the link showing that the NFL admitted an error, justifying what I and a couple others had said at the time, that it was a wrong call, I never said anything "sour grapes",

phanan said:
I love how all Hewson does is post a link from an article and everyone goes apeshit in here.

:wink:

phanan said:
I love how all Hewson does is post a link from an article and everyone goes apeshit in here.

http://www.aolsportsblog.com/2007/01/31/donovan-mcnabb-to-the-lions/

Donovan McNabb to the Lions for Second Overall Pick?
Posted Jan 31st 2007 10:35AM by Michael David Smith
Filed under: Eagles, Lions, NFL Draft, NFL Rumors

Donovan McNabb seems like a nice guy. You'd hate to see something like this happen to him. Getting shipped to the Detroit Lions is like getting sent to Leavenworth. But that's the rumor that's being circulated, both in the Ann Arbor News and in Miami during Super Bowl festivities, that the Eagles could send McNabb to the Lions for the second overall pick in the draft, and in turn use that pick for Notre Dame quarterback Brady Quinn.

McNabb will speak publicly for the first time since his November knee injury today, and he might be asked about the vocal minority of Eagles fans who would like to see him sent packing. We already know McNabb has some gripes. Would the Eagles really want to get rid of him and build the franchise around a rookie?

That seems highly unlikely. The Eagles could be a legitimate Super Bowl contender in 2007, and bringing in a rookie quarterback would be a rebuilding move. The real story here may be how hungry NFL fans are for any kind of information about their teams. The Eagles have been out of it for two weeks, and the Lions have been out of it for six years. Fans of both teams just want to hear something juicy, and McNabb to the Lions definitely fits.

How do Iggles fans feel about shipping out a case of Chunky Soup for Brady Quinn?

I think Quinn will be a good, not great NFL QB.
Right team he'll do well. A team looking for him to carry a heavy percentage of the load, he'll struggle.

In Philly's system, he could do well. And Garcia has expressed an interest in tutoring him, and would also help him with football if reid asked.

Hewson said:

How do Iggles fans feel about shipping out a case of Chunky Soup for Brady Quinn?

I say he better make sure not to let the door hit him in the ass on the way out.

He might injure himself. :|

PS: Hewson, we need those 6 minutes to get the keg upstairs and get cups. :wink:

DaveC said:

I say he better make sure not to let the door hit him in the ass on the way out.

He might injure himself. :|

PS: Hewson, we need those 6 minutes to get the keg upstairs and get cups. :wink:

Ouch.

But seriously, is there anything more embarrassing than having your mom posting about your injury on a public website?

I'm skeptical about Brady Quinn but McNabb has clearly worn out his welcome. He's just not a West Coast Offense QB, and it's shown again and again when decent alternatives step in the place.

I'm not saying Garcia's the answer. I'm saying someone like Garcia with a better arm could do very, very well with this team right now.

McNabb was on Inside the NFL last night, saying that he thought it was a good thing the team had 2 capable QBs and he hoped Garcia stayed around instead of going to another team. Of course McNabb was being very gracious and did not want to stir shit with his team or start a QB controversy. I bet he really would feel better if Garcia were gone. If you want to see it, it comes on again tonight, I think at 8.

Garcia stunk the place out in SF, he could well suck again. I would not give up on McNabb yet.

BTW all at Inside the NFL picked the Colts except for Collinsworth. He has been critical of them all year. I used to like him but he has made an abrasive ass of himself so many times this year I cannot stand him. Another reason I hope the Colts win!

And Headache do not be so quick to give up on Eli. We Colts fans were very frustrated with Peyton his first few years but he turned out okay. Eli will too.

Sorry, I goofed. McNabb wasn't on Inside the NFL he was on Sportscenter :reject:

U2Kitten said:
McNabb was on Inside the NFL last night, saying that he thought it was a good thing the team had 2 capable QBs and he hoped Garcia stayed around instead of going to another team. Of course McNabb was being very gracious and did not want to stir shit with his team or start a QB controversy. I bet he really would feel better if Garcia were gone. If you want to see it, it comes on again tonight, I think at 8.

Garcia stunk the place out in SF, he could well suck again. I would not give up on McNabb yet.

BTW all at Inside the NFL picked the Colts except for Collinsworth. He has been critical of them all year. I used to like him but he has made an abrasive ass of himself so many times this year I cannot stand him. Another reason I hope the Colts win!

And Headache do not be so quick to give up on Eli. We Colts fans were very frustrated with Peyton his first few years but he turned out okay. Eli will too.

Garcia stunk the place out in SF? I have to disagree with that. Maybe with Cleveland and Detroit, but, not with SF.

No spoken words said:

Garcia stunk the place out in SF? I have to disagree with that. Maybe with Cleveland and Detroit, but, not with SF.

My husband is a big Niners fan and he hated Garcia. He thought he sucked, and he did seem to cost them some games with his mistakes. He didn't utilize Stokes and TO to their potential at the time. It was during his time the team dropped from greatness. But of course, after Montana and Young, it's not hard to see how 49er fans would be disappointed with him.

He threw for over 3,000 yards two seasons, and over 4,000 in a 3rd. Went to the Pro Bowl 3 times, and he only really played 3 full seasons...the other two he played there he played in 13 games. Not sure how much more he could have done. Sounds like your husband was just spoiled, Garcia did not suck, not even close.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom