NFL Draft Thread, pt. II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
R.I.P. Marquise Hill

http://sports.aol.com/nfl/story/_a/...dy-of-pats-hill/20070528114909990002?cid=1690

State Official Says Body of Pats' Hill Found in Lake
Player Was Missing in Louisiana After Jet Ski Accident

AP Sports
NEW ORLEANS (May 28) - The body of New England Patriots player Marquise Hill was found Monday, a state official said, a day after he was reported missing following a jet ski accident on Lake Pontchartrain.

Hill's body was discovered by searchers about a quarter of a mile from where the former LSU star and a female companion were involved in the accident, Capt. Brian Clark of the Louisiana Wildlife and Fisheries Department said.

"The family will have to make positive identification," Clark said, "but the body we found was that of Mr. Marquise Hill."

The Coast Guard was called Sunday night, Petty Officer Tom Atkeson said. The search began immediately, using boats and helicopters.

By the time the body was found, the Coast Guard, Wildlife and Fisheries, the New Orleans Police Department and Jefferson Parish Sheriff's Department were involved, Clark said.

Hill's body was taken to the Orleans Parish Coroner's office, but phone messages left there and on coroner Frank Minyard's cell phone were not immediately returned.

Hill's agent, Albert Elias, said he had been told Hill and a young woman were jetskiing Sunday in the lake when both of them went into the water, which had a strong current. Elias said the woman was able to make it to a pylon and hang on until she was rescued, while Hill was last seen floating away from the scene.

Hill played on LSU's national championship team and was a second-round draft pick by New England in 2004.

"We are all shocked," Patriots owner Robert Kraft said in a statement.

The woman, whose identity was not available Monday, was rescued and sent to Tulane Medical Center where she told them Hill had tried to keep her calm as the two were drifting away from each other.

Neither Hill nor the woman wore a life preserver, Atkeson said.

"It's so important to have a life jacket and a signaling device," Atkeson said. "One keeps you afloat and the other helps us find you."

Elias said Hill, a defensive end, spent much of his time since Hurricane Katrina helping family members rebuild their homes.

"From what I hear he's done a lot to help with things after Katrina and I know he had a great passion for the city of New Orleans," said former LSU quarterback Matt Mauck, who was Hill's teammate at LSU. "Off field he was a really kind person, kind of like a gentle giant. And not only for LSU, but for New England and everyone who got chance to meet him throughout his life, everyone has to be extremely saddened and disappointed to hear the news."

After going to the NFL, Hill continued to do much of his offseason training at LSU's Baton Rouge campus, about 80 miles up the Mississippi River from New Orleans, and was known and admired by current Tigers players, university athletics spokesman Michael Bonnette said.

"His presence meant a lot for some of the younger guys. He gave them someone to look up to and he was always there for them," Bonnette said. "Here's a 6-foot-6, 300-pound guy, as intimidating as can be, and yet every time you approached him he always welcomed you with big old smile. In between the lines, he had his game-face on, but outside the lines, in the community or in the weight room, he was always smiling and having good time."

I hope to be saying RIP to Vick's career before the summer is over.

This does bring up a interesting debate with Goddell. He suspended Pac-Man despite any charges being filed and cases still being researched (I do agree with the suspension).

How does he treat Vick? He's already told Mike that people on his property are his responsibility, and now there's more information coming out that Mike is a "heavy weight" in this area.

NFL is coming very close to NBA status with the image of their players. I'd probably say they're already there.

vick is screwed, but he will deserve whatever he gets

think ATL regrets trading Schuab now?

Schuab is overrated in my opinion. They regret losing his experience with the system, but whether that would have translated over into a good QB for the Falcons is hard to say.

If the preaseason counted, Schuab would be a Pro Bowler.

As scary as this might sound, I think Harrington was a good pickup for them. He played OK at Miami. Maybe Petrino can get something out of him.

BEAL said:

If the preaseason counted, Schuab would be a Pro Bowler.

People aren't basing this off of his preseason play, rather his play during the regular season when Vick was injured.

schaub is sorta just rated... he hasn't played enough to really be over-rated, but with his contract he certainly can't be under-rated.

and not for nothing... the NFL's criminal record is MUCH much worse than that of the NBA's, both number wise (obviously) and even percentage wise. the NBA's bad rap has been overblown by a few bad apples, and the NFL has pretty much skated by without much criticisim over the pats few years, but it's reached such a level of obsurdity that it's only now been brought out.

really... can any of the problems the nba has had compare with rae caruth? ray lewis? the cincinatti bengals? (ok maybe the trailblazers of 4-5 years ago can compare with them)

Headache in a Suitcase said:
really... can any of the problems the nba has had compare with rae caruth? ray lewis? the cincinatti bengals? (ok maybe the trailblazers of 4-5 years ago can compare with them)

The Bengals are giving the NBA a run for their money all by themselves.

Schaub is a 52% passer, with 6 TD and 6 INT, 69 QB Rating in the limited time he's played in the regular season.

I'm not really sure those are numbers of solid player. I agree that it's still too early to write him off, but I just don't get all the hype around this guy. He played well in the pre season, and he did average when he had to replace Vick.

I hope he's as tough as Carr, cause he's going to take a pounding in Houston.

HIGH-LEVEL SOURCE SAYS NFL BELIEVES VICK IS GUILTY
A source with direct involvement in league management issues tells us that the NFL believes that Michael Vick had full knowledge of and involvement in the dog-fighting operation discovered last month at his property in Virginia.

Let's repeat that one.

A source with direct involvement in league management issues tells us that the NFL believes that Michael Vick had full knowledge of and involvement in the dog-fighting operation discovered last month at his property in Virginia.

Per the source, NFL Security has been investigating the situation actively, and the information that NFL Security has obtained has resulted in a belief at the upper reaches of the organization that Vick's past denial is untrue.

Another source with knowledge of the situation confirms that, at last week's ownership meetings in Nashville, discussions regarding conversations with NFL Security indicated the league's belief that the evidence points to a conclusion that Vick was actively involved in dogs fighting.

This disclosure explains a lot of things, in our view. It was after last week's ownership meetings that rumors percolated through the league that the Falcons are bracing for a suspension of Vick. It was also after these meetings that reports surfaced of NFL Security's offer of assistance to Surry County, Virginia investigators. And it was after these meetings that ESPN jumped into the fray with a fat-guy cannonball, airing claims from a witness with a shielded face and altered voice who says that Vick is a dog-fighting "heavyweight."

We still don't know whether Vick will ever be convicted. His wealth can purchase the best legal talent in the land, and it's not all that hard to weave reasonable doubt into any set of facts. But the irreparable damage to Vick's football career will be done the moment that charges are filed. We firmly believe that, once indicted, he promptly will be suspended, and the Falcons will eventually cut him.

Since the Raiders have drafted their quarterback of the future, the one team who might be interested in giving him a second chance would have no need for him.

Even if Vick somehow avoids an indictment, his marketability is now shot, and his image is forever tarnished. Plus, his decision to remain silent in the face of day after day of damaging revelations has put his reputation, we believe, beyond the point of no return.

In fact, Vick's best bet at this point might be to cop a plea, testify against others, enter rehab for whatever condition he says contributed to any antisocial behavior to which he admits, and then hope for redemption.

I was hoping to hear he made it rain on dem ho's.

Yeah, he wasn't there during the shooting, but sounds like he was somewhat involved in another fight.

Hotlanta sounds like the place to be though.

Who's to say the Lions won't win 10 games? This is the NFC. Lots of teams have gone from 'Worst to First'.

Now do I think it's likely. No.

One thing to watch out for is their offense. Kitna did put up some pretty good numbers last year, and he should probably do it again. Williams, Johnson, and Furrey will be tough to stop.

Those 99 Rams were tough to stop with Bruce, Holt, and Akim. Lions don't have a Marshall Faulk though.

Bears will be alright if Benson proves to be a work horse. He does seem to be injury prone though, and if he goes down.... That means Sexy Rex is gonna feel the pressure.

BEAL said:
Who's to say the Lions won't win 10 games? This is the NFC. Lots of teams have gone from 'Worst to First'.

Now do I think it's likely. No.

One thing to watch out for is their offense. Kitna did put up some pretty good numbers last year, and he should probably do it again. Williams, Johnson, and Furrey will be tough to stop.

Those 99 Rams were tough to stop with Bruce, Holt, and Akim. Lions don't have a Marshall Faulk though.

Bears will be alright if Benson proves to be a work horse. He does seem to be injury prone though, and if he goes down.... That means Sexy Rex is gonna feel the pressure.

Over the past six years, the Lions have only averaged 3 games a season. Then factor in that they have to play the AFC West and NFC East. :lol: It is fair to say they won't even be above .500.

What people forget about the 99 Rams is that they had a pretty good defense. Those guys deserved more credit.

I think the Bears could have a huge fall off from last year but there really isn't anyone to stop in that division. The NFC North is an embarrassment. :tsk: Benson could easy become another Ron Dayne if he doesn't elevate his game.

I really don't like the fact I'm defending the Lions (being a 49ers fan)...but I guess I don't see 10 wins as that far fetched.

What is so great about the NFC East? Top 3 teams I think are Average at best. Giants lose Tiki. Eagles don't have insurance for Chunky Soup, and in Dallas, Romo has a lot of pressure to perform well. And if he doesn't, there's a certain WR that will tear apart the team. I don't feel the Redskins improved anywhere.

I can see the Lions going 2-2 against the AFC West. Oakland & KC being the 2 wins.

Then you throw in their own division, with 4 wins possible against Vikings & Packers.

Again, I don't see this happening, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did.

John Kitna: 10+ INT by week 8. Quick to throw into coverage in Seattle & Cincinnati.
No blocking in Detroit. Do the math.
6-10 will be a good year.

Because they're clearly the best team in the NFC. Maybe one of the most decorated teams in the history of the NFL.....:wink:

I'm a little anxious for the 49ers season. While Alex Smith improved ten fold in his 2nd year (Norv Turner), the offense was still pretty bad.

I'm not sure how things will go this year. Their first 5 games are the following:

Cardinals
Rams
Steelers
Seahawks
Ravens

I think glass half full = 4-1, glass half empty = 1-4

Only a few more days and NFL training camps open up.

BEAL said:
Eagles don't have insurance for Chunky Soup,

I don't know if it's a great argument against the NFC East to say that the first-place team doesn't have a great backup quarterback.

BEAL said:

I'm a little anxious for the 49ers season. While Alex Smith improved ten fold in his 2nd year (Norv Turner), the offense was still pretty bad.

I'm not sure how things will go this year. Their first 5 games are the following:

Cardinals
Rams
Steelers
Seahawks
Ravens

I think glass half full = 4-1, glass half empty = 1-4

Success in the NFC comes from having a good defense and quarterbacks that can manage games. The Saints of last year were the exception. I think the 49ers can become that but they have to continue to improve on defense for another year. They will probably be around .500 this season.

phillyfan26 said:

I don't know if it's a great argument against the NFC East to say that the first-place team doesn't have a great backup quarterback.
Well when your starter averages staying healthy for 2.4 games a year, its a legit point.

Eagles_DonavanMcNabb.jpg

632852.jpg

tick tock tick tock tick tock!

Isn't almost time for a new thread? :hyper: Training camp is just about here. :drool:

Aaaand I believe the Bear will be w/o Lance Briggs this year. Me thinks he'll sit the season b/c of the franchise tag.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom