NFL Draft Thread - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-06-2007, 11:41 AM   #46
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:34 PM
Nobody is stuck with anybody in the NFL, its not like MLB where you can get stuck with a player, or at least his salary.
If the Bears wanna dump Sexy Rexy, they can cut him, NFL contracts are not guaranteed. Their could be some salary cap implication depending on amortized bonus money, but if Rex is entering his final contract year, not likely...that scenario generally arises when cutting a guy with several years left who has previously received a large signing bonus. For example if Player A has 5 years left under contract and his bonus was such that its spread out as a $2mil cap hit per season, cutting him could make that a one time $10 mil cap hit instead. But again, not the case with Rex.

Old 02-06-2007, 11:46 AM   #47
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Hewson
Nobody is stuck with anybody in the NFL, its not like MLB where you can get stuck with a player, or at least his salary.
or the nba's dreadful system...

Old 02-06-2007, 12:21 PM   #48
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Hewson
If the Bears wanna dump Sexy Rexy, they can cut him, NFL contracts are not guaranteed. Their could be some salary cap implication depending on amortized bonus money, but if Rex is entering his final contract year, not likely...that scenario generally arises when cutting a guy with several years left who has previously received a large signing bonus. For example if Player A has 5 years left under contract and his bonus was such that its spread out as a $2mil cap hit per season, cutting him could make that a one time $10 mil cap hit instead. But again, not the case with Rex.
Grossman is still playing out his rookie contract, so I can't see it being that much. They'll probably hold on to him but bring in a veteran to compete.
Old 02-06-2007, 02:23 PM   #49
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase

the 49ers of the 80s, and the steelers before them, and the cowboys after them... could not possibly have kept their entire roster in tact the way the current NFL financials are set up. even the bills, giants and redskins of the late 80s and early 90s would have had vastly different rosters if a salary cap was in place.

I know, and your last paragraph about the cap killing dynasties is true too. But come on, the 49ers are 42 million over the cap. Spend some money. Get some talent and stop sucking. The woman is greedy and has destroyed the great organization.
Old 02-06-2007, 02:31 PM   #50
Blue Crack Addict

This is the first year they've had tons of salary cap space - they've finally emerged from their self-induced salary cap hell. So give them a chance this year and see what they do before blasting them.
Old 02-06-2007, 02:39 PM   #51
Blue Crack Addict

I will, but I don't trust her after she backstabbed her own brother. I want the 49ers to be successful again, so I hope it happens.

And don't everyone write Rex off yet, he seems like a nice enough guy, and the coach has a lot of faith in him. But you're right, they probably will be looking at other options since he's only got one year left. Only one year to prove himself! Well, you guys gave up on Peyton too, so don't count anyone out!
Old 02-06-2007, 02:49 PM   #52
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten

And don't everyone write Rex off yet, he seems like a nice enough guy, !
I'd rather have a guy with some skills and football smarts as my QB, but thats just me.
Old 02-06-2007, 02:54 PM   #53
Blue Crack Distributor

no one gave up on peyton's ability... just his balls. and it wasn't quite "giving up." it was "before i pick you to win a big game ever again, you have to prove that you have the balls to get it done."

nothing wrong with proving your worth on the big stage before we anoint him the greatest quarterback of all time.

it's a problem in all sports today... we worship those who haven't done anything yet. peyton has now done something. worship away.

now that he has his ring, if he continues at his current pace, he will probably go down as the greatest QB to ever play...

but i'd still take brady in a big game.
Old 02-06-2007, 03:32 PM   #54
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Good lord even! Noticed I put stuck in quotations. I simply meant that Rex was probably their best alternative. That they were probably and sarcastically stuck with him. As long as he stays healthy, Rex can only get better.
Old 02-06-2007, 04:05 PM   #55
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 02:34 PM
I'll give sexy rexy another chance. I am kind of pissed about the play calling that went on during the superbowl.
Old 02-06-2007, 04:55 PM   #56
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by MrPryck2U
Good lord even! Noticed I put stuck in quotations. I simply meant that Rex was probably their best alternative. That they were probably and sarcastically stuck with him. As long as he stays healthy, Rex can only get better.
I didn't even mean you, it seemed like everybody else was ready to put him out of a job and out to pasture. He is the best alternative. If he sucked that bad, they never would have gotten so far. And some of his bad SB plays were due to the rain. (and the Colts' awesome, superior defensive play )
Old 02-06-2007, 06:12 PM   #57
Blue Crack Distributor

i'm sorry... but those two interceptions? not the rain.

the two dropped snaps where the ball literally hit him on the top hand? not the rain.

and while we're at it... peyton's INT in the first quarter? not the rain.

the botched PAT in the 1st quarter? rain.
Old 02-06-2007, 06:28 PM   #58
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
i'm sorry... but those two interceptions? not the rain.

No, THAT was the Colts' superior defensive play

Quote:
he two dropped snaps where the ball literally hit him on the top hand? not the rain.
But where he fell down scrambling on second and 1 that killed their drive? THAT was the rain.

Quote:
and while we're at it... peyton's INT in the first quarter? not the rain.
Nope. But a lot of those sloppy fumbles and refumbles were. You hafta admit there were a lot of bloopers that wouldn't have happened on a dry field.

And speaking of Grossman, I just heard on ESPN he was being considered for a raise I don't think he should be canned, but a raise?

Well, draft day is going to be a real drag for the Colts, picking last. I guess I'll get excited over the 49ers prospects. And remember the days when things were the other way around!
Old 02-06-2007, 06:52 PM   #59
Blue Crack Distributor

bob sanders helmet on ball forced fumble? not the rain.

so there's 6 turnovers in that game that had absolutely nothing to do with the rain.

the other two turnovers? sure... blame it on the rain. it appears that the majority of the turnovers in the "blooper bowl" (very clever and witty name you came up with there... it's no wonder that you invented the retractable roof stadium) were in fact the cause of bad play, not bad weather.
Old 02-06-2007, 07:00 PM   #60
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
bob sanders helmet on ball forced fumble? not the rain.
Bob Sanders rocks

Quote:
so there's 6 turnovers in that game that had absolutely nothing to do with the rain.
That's a lot.

Quote:
the other two turnovers? sure... blame it on the rain. it appears that the majority of the turnovers in the "blooper bowl" (very clever and witty name you came up with there... it's no wonder that you invented the retractable roof stadium) were in fact the cause of bad play, not bad weather.
I did not invent the name 'blooper bowl.' It has been used for many, many years in sports highlights to describe the last SB the Colts won, V. There were lots of turnovers and weird plays in that one too.

I 'invented' the retractable roof stadium in a 'novel' I wrote, and keep safely hidden in my closet, about a rock and roll band who buy a shitty football team, turn it around and take it to the SB. The stadium they built for them had a retractable roof. I started this story when I was still in school, many years ago, and had at the time never knew such a thing existed. But it is a good idea.

And none of you invented the hot dog! No one here was around in 1904 when it made its debut at the St. Louis Worlds' Fair along with the ice cream cone.