NFL Draft Thread - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-05-2007, 05:56 PM   #31
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 09:23 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by speedracer

So basically they have a poor man's Drew Bledsoe. I think the Bears should think long and hard about upgrading at the QB position.
It's never good when you're called a poor man's Drew Bledsoe, although it's probably better than being called a poor man's Akili Smith.

Old 02-05-2007, 05:56 PM   #32
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 02:23 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by speedracer

So basically they have a poor man's Drew Bledsoe. I think the Bears should think long and hard about upgrading at the QB position.
Could be. Drew has had a pretty good career. Not great, just good.

My point is Grossman got his first taste of a full NFL season. It's up to Rex to improve.

Old 02-05-2007, 05:56 PM   #33
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by randhail

The team is in a position to spend money again - see if they do before you say it's the owner's fault.
I'm waiting
Old 02-05-2007, 06:00 PM   #34
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Word on the "street" is that the 49ers will make a push at Ravens All-World LB A. Thomas.

Nolan and Singletary were originally with the Ravens before coming over to the 49ers, so they're familiar with him, and he'll fit into the sceme they run on defense.

I think he's a talent that you try and get, but you don't break the bank on him. I'm hoping with his experience with Nolan and the same sceme that might lure him to the bay area. Otherwise, if they can't get him. Save the money and continue to build through the draft.

I will be sadened if Norv Turner does take the Cowboys job. He's worked wonders for Alex Smith in only one year. I'd like another year of learning under Turner to help him progress even further.
Old 02-05-2007, 06:01 PM   #35
Rock n' Roll Doggie

After a little looking around, it does appear that York is really cheap and wants to turn a profit. Then again, Bob Kraft clearly has not gone crazy with contracts and not many people are complaining. If you don't spend like crazy and you win you're fiscally responsible and a model team. If you don't spend and lose then you're just cheap. If you spend and lose then you're the Knicks.
Old 02-05-2007, 06:18 PM   #36
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by randhail
After a little looking around, it does appear that York is really cheap and wants to turn a profit. Then again, Bob Kraft clearly has not gone crazy with contracts and not many people are complaining. If you don't spend like crazy and you win you're fiscally responsible and a model team. If you don't spend and lose then you're just cheap. If you spend and lose then you're the Knicks.
Kraft has been lucky. He's got a lot of guys who are good and not greedy (like Brady) who feel it's more important to keep a good bunch together than to get a few extra bucks. Of course they have also lost a lot of free agents recently too. But the difference is, people WANT to play for a winner so it's easier to get a keep good players that way. Denise is giving players no reason to stay, or come to SF. When Eddie was in charge, players wanted to be, and stay, 49ers. There really is no arguing with how Eddie ran the team since he was so successful.
Old 02-05-2007, 06:59 PM   #37
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 10:23 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BEAL
Does anyone think that Grossman will get better with experience? This was the first time he's played more than a couple of games in a season. Injuries really have set him back.

I don't know what to think. He throws a great deep pass, and his accuracy seems to go up and down each week.

I just wonder how he's going to do mentally after the game. It's probably tough being called the worst Super Bowl QB ever over and over and over.

I'm not a Bears fan, but I do feel for the guy a little.
I'm with you. I feel for the guy a lot. I've stood by him all season(he didn't help me out much last night...)

And I do think in a lot of situations, he would get better from the experience. The problem is, to be honest, where he is playing. Chicago has always had a tendency to hold a little grudge, which in turn, boots a player out of town.

The minute he has a bad game next year, you're going to hear the boo's. You're gonna hear the "bring in Greise!" And as head strong as this guy is...

p.s. BEAL, I used to live very close to Des Moines in a small, very dutch town called Pella. I much preferred Des Moines.
Old 02-05-2007, 09:50 PM   #38
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:23 AM
Big Grin

So...I am going to brag a little.

The team landed around 4:15 today. After greeting a few of the coaches, I ran down the stairs of the aircraft to ask Mr. Polian if I could touch the Lombardi Trophy! He obliged!

I was the first person IN indy (I mean, if you do not count Polian) to touch the trophy!

Pretty cool day at work!
Old 02-05-2007, 11:59 PM   #39
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by zoney!
So...I am going to brag a little.

The team landed around 4:15 today. After greeting a few of the coaches, I ran down the stairs of the aircraft to ask Mr. Polian if I could touch the Lombardi Trophy! He obliged!

I was the first person IN indy (I mean, if you do not count Polian) to touch the trophy!

Pretty cool day at work!
That's AWESOME!

Did you go to the parade? We need a new thread for the celebration. It's not fair having it lost in this draft thread!
Old 02-06-2007, 07:39 AM   #40
Blue Crack Addict

AFC is a 4.5 point favorite in the Pro Bowl Saturday.
Old 02-06-2007, 09:54 AM   #41
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by Got Philk?

p.s. BEAL, I used to live very close to Des Moines in a small, very dutch town called Pella. I much preferred Des Moines.
Of course I know of Pella. I'm getting married at the Opera House in March. My fiancee went to Central College there as well.

Des Moines isn't too bad. Less traffic, low cost of living, yet big city salary. Nice people....

I happen to like teams that are far away from the midwest though.

It'll be a interesting off-season for Chicago. Two of their biggest positions are up for grabs. Will Thomas be traded? Will Rex be let go? They did give Griese a 6mil signing bonus, I doubt that was to sit on the bench.

If Rex is let go, the 49ers could use a servicable backup.
Old 02-06-2007, 09:57 AM   #42
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by BEAL
I don't know what to think. He throws a great deep pass, and his accuracy seems to go up and down each week.
wait... are we talking about rex or eli?
Old 02-06-2007, 10:15 AM   #43
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten

They didn't win the first four with 'hired guns.' The ones they had in '94 weren't that highly paid, Ricky Jackson was making league minimum with a million dollar bonus if they won the Super Bowl. I've always said give every player in the NFL a contract like that and see the level of competition go way up Anyway, they only needed a little boost to get past the demon that was the Smellboys, and they did it. They already had a solid team and a solid organization that had been great for a dozen years. It's no comparison to Daniel Snyder thinking he can buy a team (and failing badly)
you are missing the point.

the 49ers of the 80s, and the steelers before them, and the cowboys after them... could not possibly have kept their entire roster in tact the way the current NFL financials are set up. even the bills, giants and redskins of the late 80s and early 90s would have had vastly different rosters if a salary cap was in place.

just look at the exodus of big name players for the patriots since their first super bowl and you see the point. the 49ers could never have been able to keep all those players together. the perfect example is the quarterback position... there is no way a team today could manage to horde steve young as the backup and heir to the QB position. just look at the falcons... they will be forced to make a move within the next year or two with either vick or schaubb because if they keep them both it will paralyze their salary cap. and i'm willing to go out on a limb here and say matt schaubb is no steve young.

it's what makes what the patriots have done all the more impressive.. they've survived the exodus of players do to salary cap reasons, and were a second half choke job away from their 4th super bowl since 2002. one could argue that the reason why they choked the game away was because of their lack of defensive depth... thus it would be safe to assume that without the cap, if assante samuel was, oh i dunno, the THIRD defensive back on that team, that they'd probably already have their 4th super bowl ring, and maybe a 5th.

the salary cap cripples teams eventually... the colts began to see that with edgerin james last year, and may see it again with dwight freeney this year... and their depth will slowly go away and they will be forced to part with key guys on both sides of the ball, due largely to the enormous size of peyton manning's contract.

the nfl's salary cap is the great equalizer. it kills dynasties and makes it hard for crappy teams to remain crappy. it creates mediocrity... one can argue wether it's good or bad that there really are no great teams anymore, but it is what it is.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:20 AM   #44
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Like it or not, the Bears are "stuck" with Rex. The Bears might not make it back to the Super Bowl next year, but they'll have a solid team. Give the kid another chance.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:58 AM   #45
Blue Crack Distributor

they're actually not stuck with him... he's only got one year left on his contract. they could quite easily dump him if that's what they felt was the best corse of action.