NFL Draft Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hewson said:
Where are you getting this info from?

Yeah that sounds Randy Moss-esque :rolleyes:

You're just making stuff up to serve some agenda.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft07/news/story?id=2842833

I’d say marijuana is a pretty big red flag.

Hewson said:

Russell has the physical tools to be a very good to great NFL QB, time will tell on him.

Russell is a product of the media hype and one bowl game. He only had one 300 yard game last year and had 7 games with completion percentages lower than 68%. He also only had 4 games last year in which he threw the ball more than 25 times. He’s an average player at best and will crumble under the pressure of the vertical passing game.
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=146755

Hewson said:

Quinn has been compared recently to your boy Peyton, so don't know why you're down on him, and Peterson will be a top flight NFL back.

Fun stats: Brady Quinn against three top tier college teams (Michigan, USC, LSU) Comp.-Att. 62-128 (below 50% passing) 8 TDs to 5 INTs
He also saw drops in yards, completion percentage and quarterback rating last year. Plus the guy played the three academies each year (1/4 of his season) and was sacked 11 more times than he was in his Junior year. If he isn’t ready to compete against the top college teams how is he going to survive in the NFL?
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=150329

Then there is Adrian Peterson. He has seen a loss in attempts, yards and touchdowns each year because of injury. 2004: 339 Attempts, 2005: 220 Attempts, 2006 188 Attempts.
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=161717

Hewson said:

And the slagging on Johnson is mind boggling...this guy may be the best player to enter the NFL in years given the combination of size, speed, agility, ability to run routes, quality academic achievement and positive character traits.

Calvin Johnson is impressive but in a few years people will look at back and compare him to Randy Moss (both on and off the field.)

Hewson said:

This actually looks like a pretty deep draft, which should bode well for your Dolts who could land a quality NFL player at 32.

On this we agree, I'm just saying that the 1st round is pretty lackluster this year. Your Pats should also do well in getting two quality first round picks.

Screwtape2 said:

Calvin Johnson will be an average WR in the league with hints at being the poor man's Randy Moss when it comes to character.

I'm not sure what you are basing this one on, as Johnson has been lauded time and time again for not only being one of the best receivers to come out in years, but also being a high character type person. The marijuana thing is really not that big of a deal when you compare it to other players and their run-ins with the law. He's the one sure thing going tomorrow.

Screwtape2 said:

Russell is a product of the media hype and one bowl game. He only had one 300 yard game last year and had 7 games with completion percentages lower than 68%. .
So 68% is the requirement for a good completion percentage?
How many NFL Qb's completed more than 68% of their passes this year?

I agree Russell has received too much hype, but he has the tools to be a pretty darn good QB, it won't be in 2007, but by 2009 he should be very good.

Remember that quarterbacks are notoriously hard to project. Joe Montana went in the 3rd round, Tom Brady in the 6th while Rick Mirer and Ryan Leaf were both #2 overall picks.

The talk with Russell reminds me a lot of Leaf/Smith a few years ago. You have a guy who wasn't really projected to be above the 2nd round throughout most of the year, has a great Bowl game, and then wows scouts at his pro workout.

I'm not a huge fan of Quinn either, but at least you know he's got experience with a Pro style offense.

If Russell is not able to sit and learn the offense for a few years, a la Steve McNair, I can't see him doing very well.

I just have to lean towards a BUST with Russell. Guess we'll have to see how he does on the field.

Hewson said:

This actually looks like a pretty deep draft, which should bode well for your Dolts who could land a quality NFL player at 32.

Pffft..rarely do you find more than 28 true first-rounders! ;)

Why is another thread started when this one is only at 489 (now 490), the goal in this forum is to get a thread to break Hank Aaron's 756 before Bonds does, which doesn't give us much time.

Hewson said:
Why is another thread started when this one is only at 489 (now 490), the goal in this forum is to get a thread to break Hank Aaron's 756 before Bonds does, which doesn't give us much time.

Considering our track record lately, we probably wouldn't have gotten very far (see last MLB thread - we couldn't even get past 500!).

it's going to be even harder to break Aaron's record considering this place seems to be full of mod activity lately - no more flying under the radar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom