NFL Draft Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
speedracer said:

So basically they have a poor man's Drew Bledsoe. I think the Bears should think long and hard about upgrading at the QB position.

It's never good when you're called a poor man's Drew Bledsoe, although it's probably better than being called a poor man's Akili Smith.

speedracer said:

So basically they have a poor man's Drew Bledsoe. I think the Bears should think long and hard about upgrading at the QB position.

Could be. Drew has had a pretty good career. Not great, just good.

My point is Grossman got his first taste of a full NFL season. It's up to Rex to improve.

Word on the "street" is that the 49ers will make a push at Ravens All-World LB A. Thomas.

Nolan and Singletary were originally with the Ravens before coming over to the 49ers, so they're familiar with him, and he'll fit into the sceme they run on defense.

I think he's a talent that you try and get, but you don't break the bank on him. I'm hoping with his experience with Nolan and the same sceme that might lure him to the bay area. Otherwise, if they can't get him. Save the money and continue to build through the draft.

I will be sadened if Norv Turner does take the Cowboys job. He's worked wonders for Alex Smith in only one year. I'd like another year of learning under Turner to help him progress even further.

After a little looking around, it does appear that York is really cheap and wants to turn a profit. Then again, Bob Kraft clearly has not gone crazy with contracts and not many people are complaining. If you don't spend like crazy and you win you're fiscally responsible and a model team. If you don't spend and lose then you're just cheap. If you spend and lose then you're the Knicks. :wink:

randhail said:
After a little looking around, it does appear that York is really cheap and wants to turn a profit. Then again, Bob Kraft clearly has not gone crazy with contracts and not many people are complaining. If you don't spend like crazy and you win you're fiscally responsible and a model team. If you don't spend and lose then you're just cheap. If you spend and lose then you're the Knicks. :wink:

Kraft has been lucky. He's got a lot of guys who are good and not greedy (like Brady) who feel it's more important to keep a good bunch together than to get a few extra bucks. Of course they have also lost a lot of free agents recently too. But the difference is, people WANT to play for a winner so it's easier to get a keep good players that way. Denise is giving players no reason to stay, or come to SF. When Eddie was in charge, players wanted to be, and stay, 49ers. There really is no arguing with how Eddie ran the team since he was so successful.

BEAL said:
Does anyone think that Grossman will get better with experience? This was the first time he's played more than a couple of games in a season. Injuries really have set him back.

I don't know what to think. He throws a great deep pass, and his accuracy seems to go up and down each week.

I just wonder how he's going to do mentally after the game. It's probably tough being called the worst Super Bowl QB ever over and over and over.

I'm not a Bears fan, but I do feel for the guy a little.

I'm with you. I feel for the guy a lot. I've stood by him all season(he didn't help me out much last night...)

And I do think in a lot of situations, he would get better from the experience. The problem is, to be honest, where he is playing. Chicago has always had a tendency to hold a little grudge, which in turn, boots a player out of town.

The minute he has a bad game next year, you're going to hear the boo's. You're gonna hear the "bring in Greise!" And as head strong as this guy is...

p.s. BEAL, I used to live very close to Des Moines in a small, very dutch town called Pella. I much preferred Des Moines. :)

So...I am going to brag a little.

The team landed around 4:15 today. After greeting a few of the coaches, I ran down the stairs of the aircraft to ask Mr. Polian if I could touch the Lombardi Trophy! He obliged!

I was the first person IN indy (I mean, if you do not count Polian) to touch the trophy! :up:

Pretty cool day at work!

zoney! said:
So...I am going to brag a little.

The team landed around 4:15 today. After greeting a few of the coaches, I ran down the stairs of the aircraft to ask Mr. Polian if I could touch the Lombardi Trophy! He obliged!

I was the first person IN indy (I mean, if you do not count Polian) to touch the trophy! :up:

Pretty cool day at work!

:hyper: :bow: That's AWESOME! :up:

Did you go to the parade? We need a new thread for the celebration. It's not fair having it lost in this draft thread!

Got Philk? said:

p.s. BEAL, I used to live very close to Des Moines in a small, very dutch town called Pella. I much preferred Des Moines. :)

Of course I know of Pella. I'm getting married at the Opera House in March. My fiancee went to Central College there as well.

Des Moines isn't too bad. Less traffic, low cost of living, yet big city salary. Nice people....

I happen to like teams that are far away from the midwest though.

It'll be a interesting off-season for Chicago. Two of their biggest positions are up for grabs. Will Thomas be traded? Will Rex be let go? They did give Griese a 6mil signing bonus, I doubt that was to sit on the bench.

If Rex is let go, the 49ers could use a servicable backup.

U2Kitten said:

They didn't win the first four with 'hired guns.' The ones they had in '94 weren't that highly paid, Ricky Jackson was making league minimum with a million dollar bonus if they won the Super Bowl. I've always said give every player in the NFL a contract like that and see the level of competition go way up;) Anyway, they only needed a little boost to get past the demon that was the Smellboys, and they did it. They already had a solid team and a solid organization that had been great for a dozen years. It's no comparison to Daniel Snyder thinking he can buy a team (and failing badly)

you are missing the point.

the 49ers of the 80s, and the steelers before them, and the cowboys after them... could not possibly have kept their entire roster in tact the way the current NFL financials are set up. even the bills, giants and redskins of the late 80s and early 90s would have had vastly different rosters if a salary cap was in place.

just look at the exodus of big name players for the patriots since their first super bowl and you see the point. the 49ers could never have been able to keep all those players together. the perfect example is the quarterback position... there is no way a team today could manage to horde steve young as the backup and heir to the QB position. just look at the falcons... they will be forced to make a move within the next year or two with either vick or schaubb because if they keep them both it will paralyze their salary cap. and i'm willing to go out on a limb here and say matt schaubb is no steve young.

it's what makes what the patriots have done all the more impressive.. they've survived the exodus of players do to salary cap reasons, and were a second half choke job away from their 4th super bowl since 2002. one could argue that the reason why they choked the game away was because of their lack of defensive depth... thus it would be safe to assume that without the cap, if assante samuel was, oh i dunno, the THIRD defensive back on that team, that they'd probably already have their 4th super bowl ring, and maybe a 5th.

the salary cap cripples teams eventually... the colts began to see that with edgerin james last year, and may see it again with dwight freeney this year... and their depth will slowly go away and they will be forced to part with key guys on both sides of the ball, due largely to the enormous size of peyton manning's contract.

the nfl's salary cap is the great equalizer. it kills dynasties and makes it hard for crappy teams to remain crappy. it creates mediocrity... one can argue wether it's good or bad that there really are no great teams anymore, but it is what it is.

Last edited:
Like it or not, the Bears are "stuck" with Rex. The Bears might not make it back to the Super Bowl next year, but they'll have a solid team. Give the kid another chance.

Nobody is stuck with anybody in the NFL, its not like MLB where you can get stuck with a player, or at least his salary.
If the Bears wanna dump Sexy Rexy, they can cut him, NFL contracts are not guaranteed. Their could be some salary cap implication depending on amortized bonus money, but if Rex is entering his final contract year, not likely...that scenario generally arises when cutting a guy with several years left who has previously received a large signing bonus. For example if Player A has 5 years left under contract and his bonus was such that its spread out as a $2mil cap hit per season, cutting him could make that a one time $10 mil cap hit instead. But again, not the case with Rex.

Hewson said:
Nobody is stuck with anybody in the NFL, its not like MLB where you can get stuck with a player, or at least his salary.
If the Bears wanna dump Sexy Rexy, they can cut him, NFL contracts are not guaranteed. Their could be some salary cap implication depending on amortized bonus money, but if Rex is entering his final contract year, not likely...that scenario generally arises when cutting a guy with several years left who has previously received a large signing bonus. For example if Player A has 5 years left under contract and his bonus was such that its spread out as a $2mil cap hit per season, cutting him could make that a one time $10 mil cap hit instead. But again, not the case with Rex.

Grossman is still playing out his rookie contract, so I can't see it being that much. They'll probably hold on to him but bring in a veteran to compete.

Headache in a Suitcase said:

the 49ers of the 80s, and the steelers before them, and the cowboys after them... could not possibly have kept their entire roster in tact the way the current NFL financials are set up. even the bills, giants and redskins of the late 80s and early 90s would have had vastly different rosters if a salary cap was in place.

I know, and your last paragraph about the cap killing dynasties is true too. But come on, the 49ers are 42 million over the cap. Spend some money. Get some talent and stop sucking. The woman is greedy and has destroyed the great organization.

This is the first year they've had tons of salary cap space - they've finally emerged from their self-induced salary cap hell. So give them a chance this year and see what they do before blasting them.

I will, but I don't trust her after she backstabbed her own brother. I want the 49ers to be successful again, so I hope it happens.

And don't everyone write Rex off yet, he seems like a nice enough guy, and the coach has a lot of faith in him. But you're right, they probably will be looking at other options since he's only got one year left. Only one year to prove himself! Well, you guys gave up on Peyton too, so don't count anyone out!

no one gave up on peyton's ability... just his balls. and it wasn't quite "giving up." it was "before i pick you to win a big game ever again, you have to prove that you have the balls to get it done."

nothing wrong with proving your worth on the big stage before we anoint him the greatest quarterback of all time.

it's a problem in all sports today... we worship those who haven't done anything yet. peyton has now done something. worship away.

now that he has his ring, if he continues at his current pace, he will probably go down as the greatest QB to ever play...

but i'd still take brady in a big game.

Good lord even! Noticed I put stuck in quotations. I simply meant that Rex was probably their best alternative. That they were probably and sarcastically stuck with him. As long as he stays healthy, Rex can only get better.

MrPryck2U said:
Good lord even! Noticed I put stuck in quotations. I simply meant that Rex was probably their best alternative. That they were probably and sarcastically stuck with him. As long as he stays healthy, Rex can only get better.

I didn't even mean you, it seemed like everybody else was ready to put him out of a job and out to pasture. He is the best alternative. If he sucked that bad, they never would have gotten so far. And some of his bad SB plays were due to the rain. (and the Colts' awesome, superior defensive play;) )

i'm sorry... but those two interceptions? not the rain.

No, THAT was the Colts' superior defensive play :wink:

he two dropped snaps where the ball literally hit him on the top hand? not the rain.

But where he fell down scrambling on second and 1 that killed their drive? THAT was the rain.

and while we're at it... peyton's INT in the first quarter? not the rain.

Nope. But a lot of those sloppy fumbles and refumbles were. You hafta admit there were a lot of bloopers that wouldn't have happened on a dry field.

And speaking of Grossman, I just heard on ESPN he was being considered for a raise :huh: I don't think he should be canned, but a raise?

Well, draft day is going to be a real drag for the Colts, picking last. I guess I'll get excited over the 49ers prospects. And remember the days when things were the other way around!

bob sanders helmet on ball forced fumble? not the rain.

so there's 6 turnovers in that game that had absolutely nothing to do with the rain.

the other two turnovers? sure... blame it on the rain. it appears that the majority of the turnovers in the "blooper bowl" (very clever and witty name you came up with there... it's no wonder that you invented the retractable roof stadium) were in fact the cause of bad play, not bad weather.

bob sanders helmet on ball forced fumble? not the rain.

Bob Sanders rocks :rockon:

so there's 6 turnovers in that game that had absolutely nothing to do with the rain.

That's a lot.

the other two turnovers? sure... blame it on the rain. it appears that the majority of the turnovers in the "blooper bowl" (very clever and witty name you came up with there... it's no wonder that you invented the retractable roof stadium) were in fact the cause of bad play, not bad weather.

I did not invent the name 'blooper bowl.' It has been used for many, many years in sports highlights to describe the last SB the Colts won, V. There were lots of turnovers and weird plays in that one too.

I 'invented' the retractable roof stadium in a 'novel' I wrote, and keep safely hidden in my closet, about a rock and roll band who buy a shitty football team, turn it around and take it to the SB. The stadium they built for them had a retractable roof. I started this story when I was still in school, many years ago, and had at the time never knew such a thing existed. But it is a good idea.

And none of you invented the hot dog! No one here was around in 1904 when it made its debut at the St. Louis Worlds' Fair along with the ice cream cone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom