NFL Draft Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Got Philk? said:

perhaps this trade will show that it ISN'T all the o-line's fault. After you've been sacked so many times, my guess is it would be very difficult to look downfield if you're worried about a 300 lb man smashing you into the ground.

Perhaps, look at what Mike Martz did to Kurt Warner. I remember when he broke out on the scene, football people would rave about his toughness and his ability to stay in the pocket and hit the receiver (See his TD pass to Bruce in the Super Bowl for example) He also had one of the quickest releases ever.

Then he started getting hit too much and is a shell of his former self. Martz was on his way to doing the same thing with Bulger as well. You can't drop a guy back 50 times each game and expect him to still be standing in 16 weeks.

Maybe Schuab will provide something fresh and Houston will be better. It'll be interesting to see.

So it's official. David Carr has been cut. Have the Texans replaced the Lions as the laughingstock of the NFL? I mean, Matt Schaub? Last year, they could have drafted Leinart,Young or Cutler (not to mention Reggie Bush) and this year they opt for Shaub?

As the saying goes, only time will tell if they made the right decision.

Texans waive Carr, Williams

Associated Press
3/23/2007 4:43:16 PM

HOUSTON (AP) - The Houston Texans waived quarterback David Carr, the first draft pick in franchise history five years ago, and running back Domanick Williams.

The Texans never have had a winning record, and Carr often was the scapegoat. He completed 60 per cent of his passes, but also threw 65 interceptions and was sacked 249 times in five seasons.

Houston hoped Carr would flourish under new coach Gary Kubiak last season, but the Texans went 6-10.

Williams, formerly Domanick Davis, is Houston's career rushing leader with 3,195 yards. He spent all of last season on injured reserve with a knee injury.

Also Friday, the Texans re-signed 1999 Heisman Trophy winner Ron Dayne, who joined the Texans just before last season and blossomed late in the season, rushing for 429 yards and five touchdowns in December.

The Texans released Carr a day after signing Matt Schaub and saying he would be their starting quarterback. General manager Rick Smith said Thursday the team was trying to trade Carr, who had two years left on a contract that was to pay him US$11.5 million for those seasons.

''It will be kind of weird without David next season, especially for the guys that have been there for a long time,'' Dayne said in a phone interview. ''It won't be that big for me since I just got here. But we've got to move forward without him.''

A message left for Carr's agent, Mike Sullivan, was not immediately returned Friday. The team said it would have no immediate comment.

Williams sat out most of training camp last season with soreness in his right knee. He showed up in the Texans locker room on Jan. 1, saying he had legally changed his last name from Davis to Williams, his mother's maiden name.

He missed five games in 2005 before undergoing arthroscopic knee surgery. He returned for training camp and declared himself healthy, but soon stopped practising because of a bone bruise in the knee.

The Texans bolstered their backfield by signing Ahman Green earlier this month. The same day, Smith said Williams had experienced more swelling in his knee and will probably undergo another surgery.

The Texans signed Dayne two days after placing Williams on injured reserve in September. Dayne had been released by Denver, where Kubiak was formerly the offensive co-ordinator.

Dayne led the Texans with 612 rushing yards on 151 carries, his best season since 2001 with the New York Giants. He ran for 153 yards and two touchdowns in Houston's 27-24 win over Indianapolis on Christmas Eve, one of the biggest wins in franchise history.

Dayne said he's content to back up Green, a four-time Pro Bowler.

''It's OK,'' Dayne said. ''I've been in the same position for most of my career. So I've been used to it. Whenever I get in I just want to do my best and help the team.''

Matt Schaub, from local West Chester East High School, everyone! Everyone, Matt Schaub!

I'm sure many already know, but Joe Theissman has been removed from the ESPN Monday Night Football team and replaced with ESPN studio analyst, Ron Jaworski. Theissman has already been reassigned to studio analyst for ESPN, a position Jaworski recently held.

Theisman is an abomination of a broadcaster, Jaworski is actually pretty good. ESPN, for once, does the right thing. Now, if/when they remove Kornheiser and replace him with Vermeil, that'll be another step in the right direction. Any network that unleashes Chris Berman on people trying to watch playoff baseball does not have the fans best interests at heart.

No spoken words said:
Any network that unleashes Chris Berman on people trying to watch playoff baseball does not have the fans best interests at heart.

I think ESPN stopped caring about fans years ago.

Last edited:
No spoken words said:
Theisman is an abomination of a broadcaster, Jaworski is actually pretty good. ESPN, for once, does the right thing. Now, if/when they remove Kornheiser and replace him with Vermeil, that'll be another step in the right direction. Any network that unleashes Chris Berman on people trying to watch playoff baseball does not have the fans best interests at heart.

Kornheiser is the worst in-game analyst on TV today, IMO. He's great in a studio, but when he's got to come up with stuff on the fly he just sounds like a douchebag.

In other news, the Eagles have traded Darwin Walker and a draft pick to Buffalo for Takeo Spikes and a 3rd string QB.

I like this deal, we had too many tackles as it stood, and Spikes will definitely improve the LBs.

I can't wait to see how cool a "Spikes-51" Eagles home jersey will look :drool:

Yeah, and they got 2 Pro Bowl seasons out of him before he got derailed with injuries.

I'm hoping he doesn't end up like Kearse.

Hewson said:
Man for a second I thought you were being serious....you win "Joke of the month" award for March on Interference.

I didn't say good, I just said competent. You think that's a stretch?

So who's going in the top five picks next month?

I was hearing the Browns were going to take Adrian Peterson, but now that they signed Jamal Lewis, they probably will go after someone else.

Brady Quinn will probably go in top 5, but I personally think he's a bit overrated and will only be an average at best NFL qb.

Jamarcus Russell out of LSU may go number 1 to Oakland.

Can't think of anyone else right now.

RIP Darryl:

http://sports.aol.com/nfl/story/_a/...stingley-dies-at/20070405090209990001?cid=706

Paralyzed Ex-NFL Player Stingley Dies at 55
Pats Receiver Injured by Hit From Tatum in 1978
By SOPHIA TAREEN
AP Sports
CHICAGO (April 5) - Darryl Stingley, paralyzed after a vicious hit during an NFL exhibition game nearly 30 years ago, died Thursday. He was 55.

Stingley was pronounced dead at Northwestern Memorial Hospital after he was found unresponsive in his Chicago home, according to Tony Brucci, an investigator with the Cook County medical examiner's office.

The cause of death was not immediately available. An autopsy was scheduled.

Stingley, a star receiver with the New England Patriots , was left a quadriplegic after he was hit from behind by Oakland 's Jack Tatum while trying to catch a pass.

The hit on Aug. 12, 1978 broke Stingley's neck, and he spent the rest of his life in a wheelchair. Stingley regained limited movement in his right arm and operated his electric wheelchair on his own. Tatum's hit became a symbol of violence in the game.

Stingley was born and raised in Chicago. A star running back at John Marshall High School, he attended Purdue on a football scholarship. In 1973, he was a first-round draft pick of the Patriots , owned by Robert Kraft .

"On behalf of the Kraft family and the entire Patriots organization, we're deeply saddened by news of Darryl Stingley's death, and our thoughts and prayers are with the Stingley family at this time," team spokesman Stacey James said.

Stingley served as executive director of player personnel for the Patriots and often visited paralyzed patients. He wrote a book about his experiences entitled "Happy to Be Alive," published in 1983, and 10 years later started a nonprofit foundation in Chicago designed to help inner-city youth.

In a 1988 Associated Press interview, he talked about the day that changed his life.

"I have relived that moment over and over again," Stingley said. "I was 26 years old at the time and I remember thinking, 'What's going to happen to me? If I live, what am I going to be like?' And then there were all those whys, whys, whys?

"It was only after I stopped asking why, that I was able to regroup and go on my with my life," he said.

A great football player who's career was cut down, and a greater human being...sad news.

This thread is in serious need of Mo' Pacman Jones discussion! :dance:

MAKE IT RAIN BABY!

I know :lol: I commend the NFL Players for taking the stand they have on policing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom