NFL 2016 Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How Trey Quinn went Mr. Irrelevant is beyond me. He’s fantastic, would’ve imagined him to be more down in the 4th or 5th round.

He's such a freak athlete at a position of need that I guess we couldn't pass him up. Gonna need a hell of a lot of coaching in tackling fundamentals and choosing angles if he's going to pan out.
Yeah, we'll see. I think he'll stick in the NFL as a backup because that speed is useful on special teams coverage but I don't see him being a factor on the back end.

The Redskins and the Eagles are both disgusting franchises representing terrible cities and I would appreciate it if you both (peef and lemel) shut the fuck up about them and never talk about them again. And that goes for Penn State as well.

the first amendment only protects americans from their government, not from their private employer, for better or for worse.

And my first ammendment right to not patronize the NFL will be exercised this season, for sure.

Also, if they're a corporation, it's about time we start taxing them.

Also, if they're a corporation, it's about time we start taxing them.

The teams all pay taxes.

The league office as an entity had tax exempt status but voluntarily gave it up a few years ago, and they don't really make much revenue, the individual teams do, so the government is collecting plenty of tax dollars from the NFL.

NFL Gives Up Tax-Exempt Status | Time

I appreciate that info. People pass around the incorrect info about this too frequently, and I bought into it.

It's total bullshit that the players will be fined if they kneel, but I am still going to watch every single Bears game this year.

I was really hoping they would’ve assessed penalties for kneeling.

Just so we could watch two whole teams kneel and see a collective offset of 50+ penalties for 250+ yards on each team.

Or better yet, only one team kneeling and allowing the whole game of football to be ruined by assessing it on a kickoff where the ball is kicked from the 0 yard line.

It would be really cool if each team had a representative go out on the field each week to kneel while the rest of the team stays in the locker room. The other players cover the fines and then pick a different representative for the following week.

Of course, that would require complete solidarity, and I don't think they've achieved that yet, though this bullshit probably pushed the players closer to it.

And have a corporate sponsor match their fine as a donation to a charity or something.

That way it doesn’t feel like a disgusting cash grab by the NFL. And the image of support can spread beyond just the players.

I appreciate that info. People pass around the incorrect info about this too frequently, and I bought into it.
Technically speaking most professional sports leagues are non profit organizations. I believe MLS and NASCAR aren't but I haven't really checked in a while.

The league office works on behalf of the teams. All the TV and sponsorship money goes right to the teams. The team owners then have to approve a budget to fund the league office. The owners have the right to fire the commissioner by majority vote.

I'm all in favor of the players kneeling and think the idea that THIS is the reason why ratings have declined is absurd.

That being said, this rule already exists in other sports leagues and nobody says a word about it being a problem - albeit the NBA has been encouraging players to speak out for years and gives them channels to do so, whereas the NFL can't seem to get out of it's own way (reason #9237 to dislike that song is the inability to now use that phrase without hearing ooh oh oh, ohhhhhhhhh).

Case in point, if the league would have negotiated with the player's union and came up with the exact same rule, it wouldn't be nearly as controversial. But since they acted independently, since many of the owners are dummies, they look like they're being dicks and giving in to Trump.

The biggest problem with the NFL isn't that they need a new commissioner. That's merely a cosmetic issue. Why fire Goodell when the real people in charge will remain exactly the same? The real problem is that they need some new owners, which is obviously a much harder problem to solve.

I was really hoping they would’ve assessed penalties for kneeling.

Just so we could watch two whole teams kneel and see a collective offset of 50+ penalties for 250+ yards on each team.

That was my thought, if they had instituted the 15 yard penalty just have both teams kneel and get offsetting penalties...until of course some team says they are going to do it, and as soon as their opponent kneels they yell "psyche" and stay standing and start the game with a 15 yard advantage.

That team would have been the Raiders.

Of course, that would require complete solidarity, and I don't think they've achieved that yet, though this bullshit probably pushed the players closer to it.
The weekend after Trump made the first of his asinine comments about the subject last season was pretty close to player solidarity, this may get us closer, but doubt it will ever be 100%. You have players like Villanueva in Pittsburgh, and I completely understand his stance on the matter.

The league should have done nothing, the issue was dying down and almost a non issue by end of last season, now its front page news again and they just made it all worse.

Doesn’t change a culture.

Kind of my point. The league doesn't even adhere to its own policies when meting out punishment, everything is arbitrary, there's no way that the culture is going to change when the Winstons of the world know they can get away with these criminal acts and not be punished anywhere near accordingly by the league, let alone society/law enforcement.

Back
Top Bottom