NFL 2016 Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
nobody gives a fuck

Nice language and I doubt you speak for everyone.

The nickname was given to them because they were on TV so often, not because of their success.

And also, this.

Dallas the TV show was on a lot and broadcast nationally, but most Cowboy regular season games were only broadcast in their local market and that of the opposing team. Of course, because the Cowboys made the Playoffs in 18 out of 20 years, that led to the Cowboys being seen nearly every year in the Playoffs nationwide since playoff games are broadcast nationally. But that is simply a side affect of the teams success and no different than what the Patriots have done the past 16 years.

So is everyone aware this was actually Brady & Belichick's largest SB margin of victory? 6 points. They beat Seattle by 4, and the previous 3 wins were all by 3 points.

Consider that Joe Montana had 2 close SB games, but in his other two wins, he beat Marino's Dolphins by over 3 touchdowns, and beat Elway's Broncos 55-10.

Comebacks are impressive. Not needing a comeback, also (if not more) impressive.

So is everyone aware this was actually Brady & Belichick's largest SB margin of victory? 6 points. They beat Seattle by 4, and the previous 3 wins were all by 3 points.

Consider that Joe Montana had 2 close SB games, but in his other two wins, he beat Marino's Dolphins by over 3 touchdowns, and beat Elway's Broncos 55-10.

Comebacks are impressive. Not needing a comeback, also (if not more) impressive.

Right on cue, laz with the clever contrarian hot take.

Check out Montana's/the 49ers' one-and-done record. There are some real stinkers in there as well.

Hey, I'm not a Brady detractor, aside from his recent political affiliation. Just saying, one extra ring doesn't end the conversation. 49ers were on the path to threepeat back in 1990 before a questionable Giants hit knocked Montana out of the NFC championship game in the 4th quarter.

Unless you think that team would have had problems with the Buffalo Bills.

Personally I hate the Best Ever conversation because so much of it is circumstantial. If Brady had been drafted by the Browns would he have 5 rings? Or Montana by the Bucs? Not a knock on either. They both did great in the situations they were put in.

Aaron Rodgers is the best quarterback I've ever witnessed but he'll never enter that conversation because he's never had a good defense (except for the year they won it all).

Basically my point is that I just hate the conversation and I'd rather focus on the teams. What New England has done since 2001 is amazing even in light of the controversies.

Basically my point is that I just hate the conversation and I'd rather focus on the teams. What New England has done since 2001 is amazing even in light of the controversies.

I'd say a better argument is that its more impressive given the salary cap and free agency of today's NFL.

Hey, I'm not a Brady detractor, aside from his recent political affiliation. Just saying, one extra ring doesn't end the conversation. 49ers were on the path to threepeat back in 1990 before a questionable Giants hit knocked Montana out of the NFC championship game in the 4th quarter.

Unless you think that team would have had problems with the Buffalo Bills.

Buffalo/SF was the game most were anticipating that year, and yes I think the Bills would have given the Niners defense fits if they had played. The Giants defense (with a game plan designed by defensive coordinator Bill Belichick) was uniquely qualified to slow that Bills team down. The Niners wouldn't have held them to 19 points, no chance. They would have had to outscore them, which they might have, but it would have been a monumental task.

Dallas the TV show was on a lot and broadcast nationally, but most Cowboy regular season games were only broadcast in their local market and that of the opposing team. .

Or you could check some facts:

The term "America's Team" is a nickname that refers to the National Football League (NFL)'s Dallas Cowboys. The nickname originated with the team's 1978 highlight film, where the narrator (John Facenda) opens with the following introduction:
They appear on television so often that their faces are as familiar to the public as presidents and movie stars. They are the Dallas Cowboys, "America's Team."

As for the Pats, they are about as much America's team as the Yankees have been in the past.
They are are popular in 5.5 states and hated by the majority in the other 44.5.

Last edited:
Those controversies are so overblown though. If people really studied their genesis, I think most would see there is nothing there.

But the public only looks at headlines and fools like Mad Dog Russo say "its not my job to read the Wells Report" and just go on false info tweeted out by Chris Mortensen etc.

So be it. Didn't affect my enjoyment Sunday one bit.

To be fair, while they only beat Philadelphia by 3, that game was pretty much in hand with 8 minutes to play.

the only teams that can rival what the patriots have done since the 2001-02 season in the history of American professional sport are the Red Auerbach Celtics and the Murderer's Row Yankees.

the two controversies are complete bullshit. spygate was overblown, and the guy who turned them in has even stated such. deflategate is the stupidest controversy in the history of sports, and if it were any other team, nobody would have given a crap. case in point, the giants accused the steelers of doing it this season, and nobody cared. it was a non story, because it IS a non story. it's made up. fake news. sad!

i think the only thing you can say negatively about what the patriots have been able to do in the Belichick/Brady era is that they play in a horrific division, with a bunch of bumbling franchises who can't get out of their own way. the NFL is so close in today's era, that just getting into the dance is half the battle, and the pats have an easy path year in and year out to the playoffs, normally with a bye, because their division blows. that's not their fault, though, and they shouldn't have to apologize for beating the teams they're told to play.

short of that - they're the best franchise in sports, with the Spurs a close second. it's simply phenomenal what they've been able to do in the salary cap era.

Those controversies are so overblown though. If people really studied their genesis, I think most would see there is nothing there.
It's a smoke / fire thing for me. Contrary to Hewson's assumptions, I've done a lot of research into the subject and have formed the opinion that Goodell fucked up majorly, but that wrist slaps were in order. At the very least.

And it's not like other coaches in the NFL aren't suspicious of him either.

, anyway. It's just one person's opinion. I don't like them. I know I have biases. So don't think anything from it besides the fact that I just feel the way I feel. I still realize that the team is amazing. And I realize that nobody's ever going to do what they've done again. I just have some healthy skepticism sometimes.

i think the only thing you can say negatively about what the patriots have been able to do in the Belichick/Brady era is that they play in a horrific division, with a bunch of bumbling franchises who can't get out of their own way. the NFL is so close in today's era, that just getting into the dance is half the battle, and the pats have an easy path year in and year out to the playoffs, normally with a bye, because their division blows. that's not their fault, though, and they shouldn't have to apologize for beating the teams they're told to play.

short of that - they're the best franchise in sports, with the Spurs a close second. it's simply phenomenal what they've been able to do in the salary cap era.

And their winning pct. is actually a tick higher against everyone else than against their 3 division rivals in the last 15 years,

No argument the division has been less than competitive most years, but the Pats beat everybody else at a similar clip. Including a .735 playoff win pct.

There's no question that sports fans hate to see a team (other than their own of course) have a lot of sustained success.

My team has gone 22 years and can only shoot their own dicks off. They cheated the salary cap and damn near came last in the competition. I revel in the success of others.

Then I walk into Mt Smart Stadium knowing I'm going to be upset.

I love the Pats,the GOAT,Belichick,ect....but to determine the champ of your league with a coin toss???

I get that the Falcons blew a 25 points lead with 17 minutes left in the game,but at the end of the 60 minutes,no matter how we got there, it was tied.

You don't have a coin toss if the game is tied after 9 innings in baseball,you don't have a coin toss if the game is tied after 48 minutes in the NBA,you don't have a coin toss if the game is tied after 60 minutes in the NHL ek!,you don't have a coin toss if the game is tied after 90 minutes in soccer.

From the spring mini-camp in April to Super bowl Sunday in February,if at the end of 60 minutes the game is tied, you win a coin toss,score a touchdown you are the champ? something wrong with that.

Last edited:
Its a better system than it used to be when all you needed was a field goal on the first drive.

They aren't going to adopt the college OT in the NFL, so its the best they've got, and if the Falcons D could have stopped the Pats, they would have earned/deserved a shot at winning.

I didn't think you were :). Was just building off your comment to reassure that I was trying hard not to be #hottakes.

Gotcha.
To be clear, I think the regulars in here are pretty well informed about the topics at hand when discussed, and usually pretty reasonable in those discussions, its not that way everywhere by a long shot.

Its a better system than it used to be when all you needed was a field goal on the first drive.

They aren't going to adopt the college OT in the NFL, so its the best they've got, and if the Falcons D could have stopped the Pats, they would have earned/deserved a shot at winning.

They need to, though. College football rules make the most sense for the way the game is played.

OT hockey is hell, with or without the coin toss :crack:

Also to your other post, I agree, we usually can get away with great conversations here that you usually can't have on sports forums.

I love the Pats,the GOAT,Belichick,ect....but to determine the champ of your league with a coin toss???

I get that the Falcons blew a 25 points lead with 17 minutes left in the game,but at the end of the 60 minutes,no matter how we got there, it was tied.

You don't have a coin toss if the game is tied after 9 innings in baseball,you don't have a coin toss if the game is tied after 48 minutes in the NBA,you don't have a coin toss if the game is tied after 60 minutes in the NHL ek!,you don't have a coin toss if the game is tied after 90 minutes in soccer.

From the spring mini-camp in April to Super bowl Sunday in February,if at the end of 60 minutes the game is tied, you win a coin toss,score a touchdown you are the champ? something wrong with that.
Those games don't start with a coin toss, either.

Basketball starts with a jump ball. Overtime in basketball starts with a jump ball.

Hockey starts with a face off. Overtime in hockey starts with a face off.

In baseball the game starts with the visiting team at bad. Extra innings start with the visiting team at bat.

Football starts with a coin toss.

The Pats went 43 minutes of regulation without scoring a touchdown. All Atlanta needed to do was stop them once. They couldn't. It's very rare for a team to just march down the field and score a touchdown. The field goal change was a good one. Nothing else needs to be changed.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom