NFL 2016 Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Kyle Shanahan's horrendous playcalling in the clutch somewhat eases the pain of seeing an ex-OC of ours succeed so profoundly elsewhere. We're still a bunch of idiots regardless.

This game was a tale of 2 halves for the OC's as well. If you heard some of the names I was calling Josh McDaniels in the first half. Forcing LeGarrette Blount when it was clearly not working and that stupid screen to Bennett with 18 seconds left in the first half from the 20...man he had a terrible half.

And not for nothing... it's hard to argue against a guy who threw for 466 yards and all, but James White had 3 TDs, a 2pt conversion, and had the most catches in Super Bowl history.

He the real MVP.

I thought they were going to name Co-MVPs. You saw a shot of Brady and White standing together in an area waiting for something official before they went to commercial and White was the only other player on stage with Brady during the trophy presentation.
But hard to argue with Brady since he orchestrated the comeback, White was great, but the default is usually the QB when its a close decision.

Hewson, at what point in the game did you actually think the patriots had a chance?

Can't really say enough about how well the Patriots defense played in multiple situations where they had zero margin for error.

Atlanta's second half drives:

3/4/1:53, punt
8/85/4:14, TD
3/-15/2:15, punt
3/-2/1:20, fumble lost
6/45/2:26, punt
4/16/0:54, punt

And yes, the Patriots couldn't have won without the Falcons calling for long passing plays too much in the second half when they needed to run and milk clock. But hey, if you need your opponents to give you a few gifts in order to win, may as well assume that they're coming.

One thing I'm surprised wasn't a bigger issue at the end of the game... why no booth review of the winning touchdown? I don't think it would have been overturned or anything like that, but normally on plays that are that close to the goal line they'll take a few minutes to make sure his knee wasn't down

One thing I'm surprised wasn't a bigger issue at the end of the game... why no booth review of the winning touchdown? I don't think it would have been overturned or anything like that, but normally on plays that are that close to the goal line they'll take a few minutes to make sure his knee wasn't down

They did review it, all scoring plays are reviewed. I heard it talked about on Mike & Mike while driving in while they had James White on, the review was just quick and not announced (or we couldn't /didn't hear the announcement) on TV.

Last edited:
Here you go pal.

This new app platform wouldn't let me access that post. When I went to page 10 it was like this is page 10 of 10. I had to go to 9 to get to 11-14 first. Broken ass app.

Anyways, thank you. I wish I'd said probably. It was what I was thinking in the back of my mind... "no way New England loses this..."

They did review it, all scoring plays are reviewed. I heard it talked about on Mike & Mike while driving in while they had James White on, the review was just quick and not announced (or we couldn't didn't hear the announcement) on TV.

Yeah they definitely reviewed it but it was so clear they didn't need more than about two/three shots.

Falcons just completely blew it in the 4th quarter...

3rd and 1 up 2 scores, and you pass? Strip sack leads to a touchdown.

Julio Jones makes an incredible catch to get you into field goal range... and you keep passing when a field goal ends the game?

Did they forget they had Donta Freeman on their team?

And the Edleman catch was clearly a catch on one review. I get that New England will be trying to hurry up on the play, but you pay a guy to review plays immediately. The world saw it was a catch before Brady for everyone to the lone, but the guy whose one job is to see the replay didn't? And you burn a timeout outside the two minute warning challenging a play that was clear?

Bad bad bad.

The genius of Bill Belichick and his second half adjustments aside, Atlanta had multiple opportunities to put that game away and blew it each and every time.

And not for nothing... it's hard to argue against a guy who threw for 466 yards and all, but James White had 3 TDs, a 2pt conversion, and had the most catches in Super Bowl history.

He the real MVP.
Both of these posts: spot on.

Kyle Shanahan's horrendous playcalling in the clutch somewhat eases the pain of seeing an ex-OC of ours succeed so profoundly elsewhere. We're still a bunch of idiots regardless.

Those pass plays were definitely reminiscent of some of his DC playcalling.

Here is a complete list of all the times the Falcons ran the ball after being up 28-12 with 9:40 left to play in the Super Bowl:

9:40 Tevin Coleman takes a toss to the right side for eight yards
9:00 Tevin Coleman runs up the middle for one yard, is injured
5:18 Devonta Freeman runs to the right end for two yards
4:40 Devonta Freeman runs to the left end for -1 yard

jeezus

6372148d-b0ac-4162-a37a-5b802241d00a.png

So Shields MRI has been running this local commercial for a few months featuring Tom Brady:

They apparently had this one in the can and released it last night:

It's actually very good that the 49ers are replacing Chip Kelly with an offensive coordinator who just blew the clock management in a playoff game against the Patriots. That is a thing that a very strong organization would do.

Are the New England Patriots "America's Team"? The term, "America's Team" was given to the Dallas Cowboys during a period of time from 1966 to 1985 when the Dallas Cowboys went to the playoffs 18 out of 20 seasons. They also went to 12 NFL Championship Games and 5 Super Bowls during that time.

The New England Patriots over the past 16 years(2001-2016) have made the playoffs 14 times, been to 11 NFL Championship Games and 7 Super Bowls.

Are the New England Patriots "America's Team"? The term, "America's Team" was given to the Dallas Cowboys during a period of time from 1966 to 1985 when the Dallas Cowboys went to the playoffs 18 out of 20 seasons. They also went to 12 NFL Championship Games and 5 Super Bowls during that time.

The New England Patriots over the past 16 years(2001-2016) have made the playoffs 14 times, been to 11 NFL Championship Games and 7 Super Bowls.

Maybe "Trump's America's Team"

Yeah they definitely reviewed it but it was so clear they didn't need more than about two/three shots.

It wasn't that clear...

So Fox just butchered the ending?

ehh, i was considerably drunk and stoned by the end of the game (in case you couldn't tell from my posts) and i thought "yea good call" when i saw the very first replay. and of course fox wouldn't cut away from the celebrating players to show the ref announcing that it was the right call and the game is over anyways. :shrug:

So Shields MRI has been running this local commercial for a few months featuring Tom Brady:

They apparently had this one in the can and released it last night:

i can't even fathom an NHL player filming a commercial of themselves with the stanley cup as champion before the finals even start. they'd be crucified in the media up here whatever the outcome (although winning always helps).

nobody gives a fuck

Last edited:

The nickname was given to them because they were on TV so often, not because of their success.

And also, this.

nobody gives a fuck

Most entertaining Super Bowls (in random order). If I had to pick five.

LI - Pats v Falcons

XLIII - Steelers v Cardinals

XVIII - Pats v Panthers (might be the best IMHO)

XXIII - 49ers v Bengals

XIII - Steelers v Cowboys

ehh, i was considerably drunk and stoned by the end of the game (in case you couldn't tell from my posts) and i thought "yea good call" when i saw the very first replay. and of course fox wouldn't cut away from the celebrating players to show the ref announcing that it was the right call and the game is over anyways. :shrug:

Seems like only a few noticed and we were both drunk/stoned. Weird.

Back
Top Bottom