NFL 2014 Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So after soaking in last night's stomping by the Seahawks, I'm pretty convinced of two things:

1. The Seahawks, barring any major injuries throughout the season, are a serious threat to repeat. That team last night, along with the Super Bowl victory last February, is one of the best teams I've ever witnessed.

2. The Packers will be ok. I still like their roster this year compared to the opening of the 2013 season. But unless they learn how to tackle and stop getting injured at key positions, then they're only good enough to repeat an NFC North Title and an early playoff loss.

Seattle is clearly one of the top teams in the league again this year. Long way to go before they repeat, likely a number of suspensions when your team is coached by PEDe Carroll, but they'll be tough to beat.

I'm surprised Sherman only stays on one side of the field. Is that a Seattle D scheme? Or is he just more comfortable on that side? Seems to me if you are a true shutdown corner, you stay with the #1 receiver throughout the game.

The other philosophy, which Seattle employs (and you may see employed with Revis) is that he shuts down the defensive left side, which is normally the first read for most right handed QB's(the vast majority of the league). Therefore by the time said QB goes to his next progressions the rush has gotten pressure disrupting the play. Sometimes much more effective than having the best corner shadow a particular receiver.

The other philosophy, which Seattle employs (and you may see employed with Revis) is that he shuts down the defensive left side, which is normally the first read for most right handed QB's(the vast majority of the league). Therefore by the time said QB goes to his next progressions the rush has gotten pressure disrupting the play. Sometimes much more effective than having the best corner shadow a particular receiver.

I get that, but I also think the truly great QBs can put their first read in the other direction with no issues, or can get to their second read just fine. Nelson caught plenty of balls last night; he wouldn't have been seen in the game at all if Sherman stayed on him.

Of course, Seattle has a great D overall so it probably doesn't matter with them.

As for Revis, it will definitely be interesting to see how the Pats utilize him.

I get that, but I also think the truly great QBs can put their first read in the other direction with no issues, or can get to their second read just fine. Nelson caught plenty of balls last night; he wouldn't have been seen in the game at all if Sherman stayed on him.

Of course, Seattle has a great D overall so it probably doesn't matter with them.

As for Revis, it will definitely be interesting to see how the Pats utilize him.

If Sherman/Revis are covering some chump on their side of the field, I imagine the safeties cheat massively towards the other 2/3s of the field.

If Sherman/Revis are covering some chump on their side of the field, I imagine the safeties cheat massively towards the other 2/3s of the field.

This. Everyone recognizes that the #1 guy is getting free when Sherman doesn't follow him, but a benefit the Seahawks get by the tradeoff is denying a giant chunk of the field to the opposing passing game, and so channeling pass plays into a predictable funnel where a young player opposite Sherman like Byron Maxwell knows he's getting support.

An offense has their #1 receiver going out of the slot while Sherman shadows him, suddenly the field opens up again and things become more unpredictable. But maybe that's what you want to do if the opponent is so one-dimensional? Richard Sherman broke trend and shadowed Anquan Boldin last year in the first divisional 49ers game, and Crabtree-less San Francisco was completely impotent without him.

Boldin, who put up 208 yards the week before against the Packers

If I were Patrick Peterson I'd be hammering on this too, but it's just two different coaches making different scheme valuations.

Notes from the Patriots-Dolphins game:

- Turnovers are bad
- Pats OL kind of sucks
- Brady still pretty good at throwing 5 yards downfield

I liked the 40 yard completion to Andre Roberts that was inexplicably called out of bounds.

Nice comeback by Dolphins to take the 23-20 lead, but settling for FG's in red zone is not good against NE. Why stop running with Moreno at the goal line?

And now, on the other side, another awful roughing the Passer penalty... Both times, the QB was tackled in a bear hug, so, is that what's not allowed or...

As much of an embarrassment to the human race as the Redskins may be, no fanbase should be more disgusted and disappointed than Kansas City's. Fuck.

I need the following to happen...

463 Saints +1 (at Atlanta 1pm)
476 Bears -6.5 (vs Buffalo 1pm)
471 Raiders +4.5 (vs Jets 1pm)
484 Bucs +1.5 (vs Carolina 4pm)
488 Broncos -6.5 (vs Colts 8pm)
489 Giants +4 (at Lions MNF)

... for a solid 2 grand payout on a $40 bet.

So far still very much alive

bitcoin-gone.jpg

Knowshon Moreno just shut up every "expert" who said Manning was the only reason he was a success. He had carried the Dolphins to 20 unanswered points, and the entire team is playing better since he started dominating. I haven't seen the Dolphins dominate a top team like that in a while, completely destroyed the Pats in the 2nd half. The oppressive heat playing a part? Brady now 6-7 in Miami I think.

Can Moreno do it all year? We'll see.

I would not want to be the team playing the Patriots next week though.

I don't know if that was just the first time I saw him play a full game or what, but JJ Watt is insanely good.

Knowshon Moreno just shut up every "expert" who said Manning was the only reason he was a success. He had carried the Dolphins to 20 unanswered points, and the entire team is playing better since he started dominating. I haven't seen the Dolphins dominate a top team like that in a while, completely destroyed the Pats in the 2nd half. The oppressive heat playing a part? Brady now 6-7 in Miami I think.

Can Moreno do it all year? We'll see.

I would not want to be the team playing the Patriots next week though.

New England is at Minnesota next week. Anyone know if their RBs are any good?

Back
Top Bottom