NFL 2014/2015 - Super Bowl Postmortem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here's a stat. If he didn't win a Super Bowl he would have been fired for losing to Seattle in worst way possible. Not ready for Fake FG? Not getting first down in last 5 min to seal it. Giving up 2 pt and onside kick. So many plays. Not all coach fault. But it reflects that he may be an average coach with best qb (sans my tom brady) in league.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Uh. That's not a stat. That's basing a coach's career off of one game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it possible that one side in this argument is underrating McCarthy while the other is overrating him? Yes. Yes it is.

Oh poo poo on you. Nowhere am I saying McCarthy is the greatest coach of all time. I'm just saying that he doesn't suck like some people are saying. I'd take Belichek in a heartbeat.

DO keep trying. :wink:

All I'm saying is that he's a little worse than what you're making him out to be, and I know you're not making him out to be the greatest ever. At the same time, he's not quite as bad as peef is making him out to be.

I'd say he has an excellent playbook, but doesn't always quite know when to pull the best one out of his hat. And I think he gets tight in big spots, and that's something that rubs off on his team.

No way they should only have one Super Bowl visit in the Rodgers era.

I think he's a Dungy. Good, not great, a little overrated.

I can get behind that. I honestly don't care a ton for McCarthy, even if I have been rather defensive of him lately. But I can't honestly discount him entirely, either. I think you're very close to right about him, honestly.

He should be fired based on that game. I don't think he recovers from that and as a player id blame him overall. I liked him as a coach from what I saw. But that game he became Grady Little of Red Sox fame. 5 turnovers. So few pts off of them. They blew it 50 times. Impossible.

Here's another stat -- you don't get jokes about stats.

All I'm saying is that he's a little worse than what you're making him out to be, and I know you're not making him out to be the greatest ever. At the same time, he's not quite as bad as peef is making him out to be.

I'd say he has an excellent playbook, but doesn't always quite know when to pull the best one out of his hat. And I think he gets tight in big spots, and that's something that rubs off on his team.

No way they should only have one Super Bowl visit in the Rodgers era.

I think he's a Dungy. Good, not great, a little overrated.

Yeah I think this is reasonable. I probably seem more in favor of him now too just because I've felt the need to defend him against some the criticism that's really far fetched.

To give you an idea, I was calling for his head in mid 2010 and then he proved me wrong. Then I found God. Cut off my left arm. I think they call it convenience store.

We already had Andy Reid, I'll pass.

That comparison is really what originally prompted my defense of McCarthy because it's probably one of the worst football opinions I've seen in a long time here. And the argument stops at the number of Super Bowl victories McCarthy has in comparison to Andy Reid.

I don't think there's going to be a statistical argument that separates playcalling from playmaking because they're so intertwined, which is why I haven't presented one. It's more of a "you know it when you see it" situation.

Chip Kelly is the best offensive playcaller I've ever seen, if you view playcalling as being about putting your best players in a position to make plays. Guys are wide open down the field all the time. The problem is he's had shit quarterbacks running the show in Philadelphia so it's never all come together. I think if Chip coached Aaron Rodgers they'd win a shitload of Super Bowls.

McCarthy reminds me of Reid. A great preparation guy during the week who just freezes for 3.5 hours on Sunday. And what do you know, he's lost his playcalling duties because the people around the team everyday see what I'm seeing. Just like Reid did with Marty Mornhinweg.

At this point, I'm fine with dropping it.

I'm not saying he's the best playcaller of all-time, just the best I've ever seen. The consistency with which Philly's fine but not great backs and receivers get open is insane.

So good you didn't make playoffs. Because team got tired running 100 plays a game.

bgsp.gif

I'm not saying he's the best playcaller of all-time, just the best I've ever seen. The consistency with which Philly's fine but not great backs and receivers get open is insane.

I suspect it's not as much the specific plays or concepts as the fact that the offensive communication is so streamlined and optimized. So on every play, instead of everyone trying to remember what Spider 2 Y Banana Split Maraschino Cherries means, the coaches just hold up a couple posterboards and suddenly every player knows exactly what he's doing, what his teammates are doing, what adjustments they need to make based on where the defense is lined up, etc.

I suspect it's not as much the specific plays or concepts as the fact that the offensive communication is so streamlined and optimized. So on every play, instead of everyone trying to remember what Spider 2 Y Banana Split Maraschino Cherries means, the coaches just hold up a couple posterboards and suddenly every player knows exactly what he's doing, what his teammates are doing, what adjustments they need to make based on where the defense is lined up, etc.

Agreed. His offense looks extremely well prepared each week.

Right. And the optimization begins right from the jump. I went and saw an Eagles practice in person during this year's training camp and it's unreal. Imagine the most organized practice you can think of, and then take it a step further. There are no wasted motions, so there's more time for being sure you understand the concepts. Aside from the brief 7-on-7 drills, everyone is always doing something. And they continually change what they are doing (I don't think they spent more than five minutes at a time on one specific drill) to keep everyone from losing focus. There's loud music to keep people into it and simulating crowd noise. It's really something else. It's the most revolutionary thing he does, much more than anything on gameday.

He actually has a relatively small playbook. But without huddle, by breaking things down into certain signals and having the plays called position-by-position in the signalling, everything is simplified. What's so maddening is that everyone on the Eagles offense seems to understand it except for the quarterbacks. If Kelly leaves Philadelphia without having had a QB who can run his offense properly it will be one of the great letdowns of my life as a sports fan, because this offense firing on all cylinders with a good quarterback would be a revelation.

Kelly is really smart, forward thinking. He needs to win it all somewhere to completely validate his approach.

I get the feeling Chip doesn't spend much time worrying about his D :ohmy:

Anyway if he doesn't win a playoff game soon, he'll be back in college.

He should probably pay some sort of attention to time of possession so that his defense isn't utterly shot at the end of the season from spending so much time on the field in contrast to his offense, but yea he's swell
Time of possession doesn't mean anything. The defense wasn't shot at the end of the season, they were just bad this year. They sure didn't lose them the Saints game last year, Nick Foles and Riley Cooper did.
I get the feeling Chip doesn't spend much time worrying about his D :ohmy:

Anyway if he doesn't win a playoff game soon, he'll be back in college.
He'll quit before he's fired, and I have a feeling he's in the NFL for the long haul.

Whew, yeah, if anything I'd say that Time of Possession is very underrated in the eyes of the public but most coaches take it very seriously. Not saying that Chip Kelly is wrong. I have a lot of respect for his unique approach and I'm sure he probably has weighed the risk of potential TOP challenges.

Whew, yeah, if anything I'd say that Time of Possession is very underrated in the eyes of the public but most coaches take it very seriously. Not saying that Chip Kelly is wrong. I have a lot of respect for his unique approach and I'm sure he probably has weighed the risk of potential TOP challenges.
Most casual fans think TOP means a great deal. It's a stat regularly used on broadcasts. I hear it talked about all the time.

Let's see how the last five Super Bowl champions finished in time of possession.

2014 Patriots - 23rd
2013 Seahawks - 14th
2012 Ravens - 29th
2011 Giants - 23rd
2010 Packers - 7th

Why, it's almost as if there is no correlation between time of possession and success at all!

Most casual fans think TOP means a great deal. It's a stat regularly used on broadcasts. I hear it talked about all the time.

Let's see how the last five Super Bowl champions finished in time of possession.

2014 Patriots - 23rd
2013 Seahawks - 14th
2012 Ravens - 29th
2011 Giants - 23rd
2010 Packers - 7th

Why, it's almost as if there is no correlation between time of possession and success at all!

With the exception of the 2010 Packers, the rest of those teams won the TOP battle in their Super Bowl victories.

But really, your stats and my stats don't matter all that much. There are so many variables that can affect TOP that I don't know if you'll ever be able to truly find a stat that supports either opinion and if there was, it would be much deeper and much more complex than "hey, look at the last 5 Super Bowl Champions. There's no correlation!"

I've always had the opinion that generally, in each game, the team that has a higher time of possession, especially through 3 quarters (I say this because garbage time in the 4th quarter could possibly skew the results), is doing something right, whether it be long established drives, keeping the opponent's offense off the field, etc. Is it an exact science? Absolutely not. But I do think it's important and generally shows the signs that things are going well on the field.

Back
Top Bottom