NFL 2008 Offseason Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow. Whoever bet on Marvin Harrison to be the next NFL player to get into trouble with the law just made about a million bucks.

Granted he hasn't been formally charged with anything yet and this might all turn out to be a mistake, but so far it doesn't look good for him.

yeah, that's just weird. i never pictured marvin harrison as the type that would get into that kind of trouble.

it does make me glad to have Gonzales in my keeper league though. he could blow up this year.

It'll be interesting to see what Baddell does. Based on how he handled PacMan, Harrison should get a lengthy suspension before any charges are filed...now we'll see if there's any double standard.

Hewson said:
It'll be interesting to see what Baddell does. Based on how he handled PacMan, Harrison should get a lengthy suspension before any charges are filed...now we'll see if there's any double standard.

I would expect a little more information to come out from a reliable source first. The only information out there is from WIP-AM - a philly sports talk radio station. If you have ever listened to the station, you would question their reliability too.

phanan said:
That's the last name I would've come up with.

This probably makes me a horrible Pats fan, but when I saw the thing going across the ticker on ESPN I saw the name "Harrison" and I was like "aw shit Rodney shot somebody :("

Headache in a Suitcase said:
reports have it that shell cassings found at the scene were fired from harrison's gun... soooo that can't be good for peyton.
The guy who was in a fistfight with Harrison at Harrison's bar is shot with Harrison's gun near Harrison's car wash...and yet there are "no suspects" and Goodell has done nothing.

Substitute "Pacman Jones" for "Harrison" in each instance in the above sentence and Goodell would have already given him a lifetime ban, taken away his pet parakeet and slapped his grandmother.

But Hewson, Jesus Dungy is his coach! Surely Marvin didn't do it!!!

So what happens when Matt Walsh claims to have film of Marvin shooting the guy?

Hewson said:
The guy who was in a fistfight with Harrison at Harrison's bar is shot with Harrison's gun near Harrison's car wash...and yet there are "no suspects" and Goodell has done nothing.

Substitute "Pacman Jones" for "Harrison" in each instance in the above sentence and Goodell would have already given him a lifetime ban, taken away his pet parakeet and slapped his grandmother.

To be fair, Jones had a long history of issues while Harrison has been a class act. That's always going to be a factor.

phanan said:

To be fair, Jones had a long history of issues while Harrison has been a class act. That's always going to be a factor.
Thats exactly the point...Jones was suspended over the Vegas incident before any charges were filed against him because of a checkered past, Harrison is supposedly a good citizen (the autograph seeking kid he choked after the Pro Bowl a couple years ago might disagree), so Goodell ignores this? I mean maybe Harrison didn't fire the gun, but he has admitted to fighting the guy, and it was his gun that shot him and led to a toddler being injured...doesn't that alone warrant some league action (or at least a trade to Cincy?).
Big time double standard.

CTU2fan said:
But Hewson, Jesus Dungy is his coach! Surely Marvin didn't do it!!!

So what happens when Matt Walsh claims to have film of Marvin shooting the guy?

Walsh will play coy with Goodell and the media for a few months, finagle some sort of legal indemnification through his lawyer and show up with a tape of Harrison shooting tin cans in his backyard or something like that.

Hewson said:
Thats exactly the point...Jones was suspended over the Vegas incident before any charges were filed against him because of a checkered past, Harrison is supposedly a good citizen (the autograph seeking kid he choked after the Pro Bowl a couple years ago might disagree), so Goodell ignores this? I mean maybe Harrison didn't fire the gun, but he has admitted to fighting the guy, and it was his gun that shot him and led to a toddler being injured...doesn't that alone warrant some league action (or at least a trade to Cincy?).
Big time double standard.

True, but that happens all the time, not just in the NFL. If I commit a crime with no past history vs. someone who has a checkered past, more often than not I would get some sort of a lesser sentence. That's just the way it is.

phanan said:

True, but that happens all the time, not just in the NFL. If I commit a crime with no past history vs. someone who has a checkered past, more often than not I would get some sort of a lesser sentence. That's just the way it is.
That would be a plausible argument if Goody had waited till Pacman was formally charged in the Vegas incident, but he acted on reports of his involvement...just like we have reports of Harrison's involvement here. It wasn't Pacman's gun in Vegas, but we know it was Starvin' Marvin's gun here...so culpability should be higher in this case...and if we find out Marvy was the trigger man...what's Roger gonna do?

Hewson said:
That would be a plausible argument if Goody had waited till Pacman was formally charged in the Vegas incident, but he acted on reports of his involvement...just like we have reports of Harrison's involvement here. It wasn't Pacman's gun in Vegas, but we know it was Starvin' Marvin's gun here...so culpability should be higher in this case...and if we find out Marvy was the trigger man...what's Roger gonna do?

I agree it's a double standard - I'm just sayin' that Goodell is waiting longer in this case because Harrison has not had any previous trouble while Jones had plenty, which means he gets the benefit of the doubt. Certainly not unusual.

So Matt Walsh has 8 tapes showing exactly what the Pats already admitted to, taping of other team's coaches signals, from 2000-2002, and no tape of the rams walk through before Super Bowl XXXVI, which is what his big claim was and what restarted the whole controversy. The league has said there'll be no further sanctions if there's nothing new (punishment already given for these infractions.)

So now we know why Walsh waited till he got full immunity...he lied about having a tape of the walk thorugh, and he stole Patriots' property when he got canned.

Is anyone going to be surprised by that, though? Of course he had nothing, or else the whole thing about immunity wouldn't have even been needed.

He makes out well here. He had absolutely nothing, but got all this publicity. Watch, he'll probably write a book now.

phanan said:
Is anyone going to be surprised by that, though? Of course he had nothing, or else the whole thing about immunity wouldn't have even been needed.

He makes out well here. He had absolutely nothing, but got all this publicity. Watch, he'll probably write a book now.

Bill Belichick can now bathe in Arlen Specter's bitter tears...

I'd like to sue Matt Walsh for wasting about 10 hours of my life over the last few months.

speedracer said:
I'd like to sue Matt Walsh for wasting about 10 hours of my life over the last few months.

I'd like to see John Tomase get fired from the herald for creating the whole notion that the Pats taped the Rams walkthroug prior to the super bowl.

I'd like a cookie, and a Super Bowl do-over...

Headache in a Suitcase said:
no do overs for you :tsk:

I didn't suppose...I miss the old Eli Manning, from the Rexli Manman bowl days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom