NFL 2008 Offseason Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Brett Favre retires per Mortensen on ESPN.

I'm quite surprised, actually. I thought with how things went last year, he'd come back for one more season.

Interesting in the ESPN report that he was courting Moss again, and when that didn't work, he decided against returning.

Hearing more bits about the Favre thing...apparently the Packers' Executive VP in charge of Brett Favre ass-kissery wasn't quite getting it done.

I know everybody loves the guy, and I'd never question his talent as a QB, but he's always seemed to be a bit of a self-absorbed diva.

I'm glad he retired now. The Giants game aside, he retires after a renaissance type season. He was fun to watch again.

Marvelous career, sorry to see it end, but I am glad it ends now. I wonder how he'll be in retirement. Cannot see him being part of the media, cannot see him coaching. Will be interesting.

No spoken words said:

I wonder how he'll be in retirement. Cannot see him being part of the media, cannot see him coaching. Will be interesting.
He signed a six film deal with the Farrelly Brothers.

(And whats with people popping into the sports forum with my avatar? For a second I was like "I don't remember posting that")

CTU2fan said:
No cheerleader pics Headache, sorry.

Randy Moss re-signs, 3/27. Phew, I was getting kinda antsy...

The Patriots would have franchised Moss if they really thought they'd have difficulty resigning him to a multi-year deal -- that way, they could either keep him for one year and let him go, or at least get a first-round draft pick for him.

Last edited:
CTU2fan said:
Hearing more bits about the Favre thing...apparently the Packers' Executive VP in charge of Brett Favre ass-kissery wasn't quite getting it done.

I know everybody loves the guy, and I'd never question his talent as a QB, but he's always seemed to be a bit of a self-absorbed diva.

Huh?

Sorry, Favre is no self-absorbed diva. How can you be a diva, when you barely miss a game in your 17 year career?

he was a little divish towards the end of his career with the whole will he, won't he retirement thing... doesn't take away from his career, though.

the final play of the great brett favre
2210480156_b8e7078b57.jpg

:happy:

I have it on good authority that much of Wisconsin is in a state-wide day of mourning. In the bars.

One of my Wisconsinite coworkers got several calls this morning to break the news, and then got regular updates that all the bar parking lots were full, and hardly anyone was at work.

Ha! I kind of wish I was there right now.

Last edited:
I'm bummed that Favre is retiring, but then again, I'm not. What are the chances he could have as great a season in 2008 as he did in 2007? It's good to go out at such a high level.

corianderstem said:
I have it on good authority that much of Wisconsin is in a state-wide day of mourning. In the bars.

One of my Wisconsinite coworkers got several calls this morning to break the news, and then got regular updates that all the bar parking lots were full, and hardly anyone was at work.

Ha! I kind of wish I was there right now.

It really is. I called my dad this morning to see how he'd taken the news. (He was at work and not at the bar, though I'm sure he went this evening.)

I have to say, since I'm 18, Favre is the only quarterback I've ever known the Packers to have, and he will continue to be the only quarterback for the Packers, at least in my heart. And, I think this will be true for many Wisconsinites.

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:

:up:

I think the best athletes know that, championship in their final season or not, when they've had it, they've had it.

Not necessarily. See: Muhammad Ali.

onebloodonelife said:
I have to say, since I'm 18, Favre is the only quarterback I've ever known the Packers to have

Yeah, same with me (and I'm 4 years older than you). It's going to be very weird to see another starting quarterback playing for the Packers.

That being said, I predict now that the Minnesota Vikings (read: Adrian Peterson) are going to stomp the NFC North for the next 3 or 4 years. Their opposing QB's now are Rex Grossman, Jon Kitna, and Aaron Rodgers. :huh:

DaveC said:

Yeah, same with me (and I'm 4 years older than you). It's going to be very weird to see another starting quarterback playing for the Packers.

That being said, I predict now that the Minnesota Vikings (read: Adrian Peterson) are going to stomp the NFC North for the next 3 or 4 years. Their opposing QB's now are Rex Grossman, Jon Kitna, and Aaron Rodgers. :huh:

Unfortunately for Minnesota, their incumbent starting QB is Tavaris Jackson. Adrian Peterson can't run for 200 yards against a 10-in-the-box defense every game.

speedracer said:

Unfortunately for Minnesota, their incumbent starting QB is Tavaris Jackson. Adrian Peterson can't run for 200 yards against a 10-in-the-box defense every game.

Minnesota has no quarterback, but they've at least got a running game. None of the other NFC North opponents do (Ryan Grant is the closest). I by no means am saying Minnesota's going to be great, but they'll be the best in a terrible division.

DaveC said:

Not necessarily. See: Muhammad Ali.

And Michael Jordan. Thought he was done when he wasn't, then thought he wasn't when he clearly was.

MrPryck2U said:

Huh?

Sorry, Favre is no self-absorbed diva. How can you be a diva, when you barely miss a game in your 17 year career?

As Headache pointed out, the whole will he/won't he thing. I don't want to sit here and rip Brett Favre at all, but he's kind of been a "all about me" guy for awhile now. Nothing wrong with that, because he produces...I mean, Curt Schilling is the same way and I love that guy.

CTU2fan said:

As Headache pointed out, the whole will he/won't he thing. I don't want to sit here and rip Brett Favre at all, but he's kind of been a "all about me" guy for awhile now. Nothing wrong with that, because he produces...I mean, Curt Schilling is the same way and I love that guy.

I seem to remember John Elway doing the same thing.

I still don't agree with you, but I guess if you're the franchise player it really can be all about you.

Oh yeah, fuck curt shilling. He's no diva, he's just a bitch.

MrPryck2U said:

I seem to remember John Elway doing the same thing.

I still don't agree with you, but I guess if you're the franchise player it really can be all about you.

Oh yeah, fuck curt shilling. He's no diva, he's just a bitch.

i don't remember john elway holding his franchise hostage while he decides wether or not to come back. favre did. not to bash him at all, but he knew he could. he's a friggin GOD in that area. if green bay had ever cut brett favre while favre still wanted to play, there would be a cheesehead revolt.

favre knew this and took advantage of it, right or wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom